• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Graf Nudu said:
I have to investigate in Dr. Young's office, but I can't get through the door at the northern corridore of the Arkham villa. Where do I have to go?

30jmqzk.jpg

You have a Bale avatar, yet you are not the world's greatest detective?

This troubles me.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I played the demo again right before the game came out and loved it even more, but didn't intend to buy it right away. I get up yesterday afternoon and find my Dad playing the demo, which was funny. I leave the house for the day, come back at night, and find out he had went out and bought the damn game. He was up until almost 1AM playing it.

The power of Batman: Arkham Asylum. Even 50-somethings can't resist whipping ass as Bats.

spidye

Amir0x said:
Maybe Eidos should give Rocksteady every game property they own

Forever

good lord @ this team

:lol :lol

I think this can actually work. arkham asylum is maybe the better hitman game since hitman 1

Xater

spidye said:
:lol :lol

I think this can actually work. arkham asylum is maybe the better hitman game since hitman 1

Don't get ridiculous.

But I could see them for a great Legacy of Kain title...

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Hey I have a bat question.

Which Batman comics should I read? I already read Arkham Asylum and the killing joke, which ones are a must read?' if there is more of course, also how is that "Joker" comic?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dgenx said:

Which Batman comics should I read? I already read Arkham Asylum and the killing joke, which ones are a must read?' if there is more of course, also how is that "Joker" comic?

sbtx07.jpg

It's a graphic novel.

About locating the body of
Ra's Al Ghul
, I hadn't found him until after reading the posts here and when I went back to Dr. Young's office there it was.

DKehoe

dgenx said:

The Long Halloween is good

By the way, to whomever was complaining about punching knife guys mid-combo... that doesn't actually break your combo, it just doesn't add to it. If you hit them and then pull another combo move (punch someone else, roll away, whatever), it will continue.

ElyrionX said:
Will I get enough XP by late game to be able to get all upgrades? Or do I have to choose my upgrades wisely?

i was only able to get 15 purchased from just playing the game. but it depends on how good you are at maintaining your combo, and whether or not you are finding Riddler challenges.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, how accurate is the percentage meter in regards to actual game length? Mine is around 30% right now, but it feels like I've been playing for quite a long time.

I remain extremely impressed by this game. Truly one of the best games this generation.

fistfulofmetal said:
i was only able to get 15 purchased from just playing the game. but it depends on how good you are at maintaining your combo, and whether or not you are finding Riddler challenges.

Yikes. Has anyone gotten all 20 in a playthrough? It must be possible since it's an achievement...

I hope.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
dark10x said:
So, how accurate is the percentage meter in regards to actual game length? Mine is around 30% right now, but it feels like I've been playing for quite a long time.

I finshed at 70% and I didn't do any extra backtracking to solve riddles or find trophies. You're probably half done, depending on how much stuff you've found.

Wayyyy agreed.

Same here. Normal is fine, still challenging in some of the predator sequences and brawls later in the game. I'd personally recommend saving hard for your second playthrough, since you'll be better at the game and it'll keep it fresh.

Peff

L0st Id3ntity said:
The island is filled with Poison Ivy's plants,
how much is left?

If it just happened, around two hours, I think.

It counts everything, so it depends if you just played the story mode or did some challenges, with or without getting riddles... I'd say the actual game ends around 60%, but it'll probably be more.

Yikes. Has anyone gotten all 20 in a playthrough? It must be possible since it's an achievement...

Yup, it's not so hard to do it if you are good finding the riddles, and if you want to leave them until you finish the game you can do it too.

Varth

BenjaminBirdie said:

I hope.

If you pick up 3/4 of the stuff lying around you should do it with no hassle, if you're any good at fighting. I got all my story trophies on my first playtrough on hard.

Snuggler said:
Same here. Normal is fine, still challenging in some of the predator sequences and brawls later in the game. I'd personally recommend saving hard for your second playthrough, since you'll be better at the game and it'll keep it fresh.

That's my plan. I can actually see myself (maybe!) getting a full 1000 on this sucker.

BenjaminBirdie said:

I hope.

Yeah, I got them all quite a bit before the end of the game. It's pretty easy if you solve the riddles since you get a huge XP bonus for each one. Think it was 2000xp?

I'm not practically good at keeping a combo going either (doing awful on the challenge maps now) so you don't really need to be an expert at that to earn the XP.

ThirstyFly said:
Yeah, I got them all quite a bit before the end of the game. It's pretty easy if you solve the riddles since you get a huge XP bonus for each one. Think it was 2000xp?

I'm not practically good at keeping a combo going either (doing awful on the challenge maps now) so you don't really need to be an expert at that to earn the XP.

I'm finding leaping helps a lot with stringing together combos. They're kind of the manuals of the fight system. It's such a simple combat system but I swear, that massive fight against like 20 dudes on the
electrified floor
was SO fun.

Also, bodyslamming psychopaths? NEVER GETS OLD.

Seriously, I'm being completely serious, whoever designed the timing and animation of that, of how Batman scoops the guy up from the throat and slams him down, and how it's always at the perfect moment as the psycho is running towards you, of how it's completely seamless; has pulled off one of the most impressive tiny slices of game design I've ever seen. It is just such an amazing moment of gaming satisfaction, on every level of design (animation, spatially, audio-wise, etc).

123rl

BenjaminBirdie said:
Also, bodyslamming psychopaths? NEVER GETS OLD.

I laughed so much the first time I did that! I was playing with the camera in Detective Mode because I found a rip in my suit...then this guy in a straight jacket runs at me and I see the Y button pop up on the screen. So I pressed it, grabbed him as he jumped at me, turned and SLAMMED him head first into the ground!

Truant

OokieSpookie said:
What?
You are the GODDAMN BATMAN!!!

It just sucks you have to do the entire thing all over again if you die. Would have been easier if I could just continue after each segment.

kaskade

I'm currently 75% of the way through the Riddler challenge. It is so addicting. I play the game in detective mode so much though that I forget how pretty it is. Good thing I wasn't hunting for the trophies and stuff as I was playing through the game.

Found all 240 riddles. I'm so glad I destroyed all the Joker's teeth the moment I came across 'em. I don't know about you guys but it took me awhile to try and solve "A puzzle has many sides, but only some are visible." Even in detective mode I couldn't exactly see where I supposed to shimmy.

EzLink

Banned
ThePeacemaker02 said:
I'm currently 75% of the way through the Riddler challenge. It is so addicting. I play the game in detective mode so much though that I forget how pretty it is. Good thing I wasn't hunting for the trophies and stuff as I was playing through the game.

God, no fucking kidding. I solved all of them on my normal playthrough, and now on my hard playthrough I'm finding myself going for all of the scans and trophies AGAIN :lol

I've never been this miserably excited for a sequel in my entire life. And this less than a week after the first game has been out!

Work on that shit Rocksteady and sync up the release with the third Nolan film. Christ, what a week that would be for Batfans :D

eshwaaz

Just beat it last night - what an amazing, incredible game. I'm not even a Batman/comic book fan, and this still ranks among my all-time favorites. I was constantly surprised by not only the overall quality, but the ridiculous amount of content overall. The Riddler's role could have easily been just been limited to the collectibles, but Rocksteady went the extra mile and included actual riddles to solve along with the excellent "assemble the question mark" puzzles. These kinds of touches are evident throughout every aspect of the game, putting titles from much higher profile developers to shame. I have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure Batman's whiskers get thicker and longer as the game progresses. That's just crazy.

The sound design deserves special mention as well. Light fixtures in the vents make a subtle buzzing sound, Batman's footsteps vary depending on what kind of surface he's walking on, and there's even a unique sound for water droplets impacting Batman's cape - there's just insane attention to detail here.

I wish I could erase the whole game from my brain just so I could experience it fresh again - absolutely phenomenal.

Jeff Stephen said:
I don't know about you guys but it took me awhile to try and solve "A puzzle has many sides, but only some are visible." Even in detective mode I couldn't exactly see where I supposed to shimmy.

Oh god, that one drove me insane. The real bitch was, I was looking at the wrong place for it. If you scan the
broken intensive treatment sign on the lower level
it gives you the message "solution partially solved" (or whatever it is) so I thought it had something to do with that, but it was probably just some glitch or hit detection error. I didn't find the real solution until I had left it to find more, came back and then was just about to give up yet again. Then I stumped on it and found the real solution.

mattso

BenjaminBirdie said:

I hope.
I had no problem getting all the upgrades a bit before the end of the game. Just solve riddler challenges and you'll have no problem.

Jeff Stephen said:
Found all 240 riddles. I'm so glad I destroyed all the Joker's teeth the moment I came across 'em. I don't know about you guys but it took me awhile to try and solve "A puzzle has many sides, but only some are visible." Even in detective mode I couldn't exactly see where I supposed to shimmy.

Haha, me too. When I first came across them, I figured they would bite me or explode or something so I always bataranged them. I can see how people might completely ignore them, and I'm so glad I didn't. :lol

Shake Appeal said:
By the way, to whomever was complaining about punching knife guys mid-combo... that doesn't actually break your combo, it just doesn't add to it. If you hit them and then pull another combo move (punch someone else, roll away, whatever), it will continue.
Should clarify this: the combo does break (meaning you will lose the potential points that come from later blows), but as long as you maintain the rhythm you will still get the 1,000 freeflow bonus at the end of the round.

kamspy

Broke down and got this on 360. Couldn't wait for the PC version.

What a great game. Everyone has already said it all, so I'll just agree with the people giving it praise.

But why is the GameStop logo on my case though? Was anyone else bummed about that one? Don't tell me it's cheaper to print these things on covers vs. using stickers. Let this be a one time incident and I just might forgive our gaming overlords.

Anyhow, Rocksteady rocked the fucking batcave with this. I'll happily double dip on PC on Sept. 15
and trade in or sell the 360 copy so I can net the PC version for a cool $10! I just hope there's no signage on the front of the PC case.

One thing I'm kind of sad that the game doesn't have after completing it is
putting the criminals back in their cells when you're walking around, like how Harley is still caged up. It would have been cool to go visit them and have them curse you for defeating them, especially beaten up Joker.

And a cutscene viewer. I'd love to watch the pre-rendered scenes again.

Holy fucking shit I had no idea this game was awesome. Why were you hiding this from me? Please tell me the full game is as good as the demo. Please.

mattso

ThirstyFly said:
One thing I'm kind of sad that the game doesn't have after completing it is
putting the criminals back in their cells when you're walking around, like how Harley is still caged up. It would have been cool to go visit them and have them curse you for defeating them, especially beaten up Joker.

And a cutscene viewer. I'd love to watch the pre-rendered scenes again.
I loved when
Harley thinks she trapped you when you solve the riddle by her cell and then gets all upset and you batman your way out

Red

somnific said:
congrats crunched-- pretty satisfying, right?

it totally slipped my mind the first time i posted and since you're done it's not going to help you but a good tip that helped me out during the combat challenges was taking off the camera assist in the game options. this prevented a lot of instances where batman would randomly punch or jump in the wrong direction after the camera had spun around.
Thanks. Maybe if I go totally insane one day and decide to replay the challenges I'll try that out :lol
Shake Appeal said:
Should clarify this: the combo does break (meaning you will lose the potential points that come from later blows), but as long as you maintain the rhythm you will still get the 1,000 freeflow bonus at the end of the round.
The 1,000 points from the freeflow bonus are absolutely nothing, nothing, compared to the kinds of scores you can get if you keep a chain going the entire round. Hitting the knife guys definitely does break your combo in this regard, and you can lose thousands of points because of it.

The freeflow bonus is nice, but a x7 or more variation bonus is even nicer, and a lot easier to pull off. The best bonus of all is having a x40+ chain going and doing a ground takedown on the last guy in the arena :lol

Top Bottom