• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Flunkie

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
I played on Hard and I definitely saw
Killer Croc

Him on Venom is a bit distressing.
I played on Normal and I'm pretty sure I got
Killer Croc
too.

Also:
I was a little disappointed by the ending and boss fight. I wanted to fight Joker, mano a mano, not Joker on drugs, not Joker's endless wave of criminal groupies, just a cool ending fight scene with him, maybe MGS4-ish if that makes sense? :lol . Even if the whole Venom plot point would have been for naught, I would have rather fought him you know, in his normal version, and actually fought him himself, instead of the same dudes I fought the whole game, then just hit Joker a couple times.

Oh well, still a fantastic overall package, and a tiny gripe compared to the overwhelming number of things that the game does tremendously well.

EzLink

Banned
Crunched said:
badass/helpful tips

Thanks man, those will come in handy :D

Also, are there any theories as to what the "new free DLC" coming soon will be?

I think it is a good sign that there is an option on the main menu to go to DLC... I don't think they'd give you such a prominent way of accessing that feature unless they weren't planning some pretty decent DLC support

Ri'Orius

Crap! I missed the Party Pooper trophy, and apparently have to do another playthrough to get it.

Granted, I'll be able to play on easy mode and skip all the riddles and stuff... shouldn't take too long, I hope... Still annoying.

Christopher

Penguin said:
Sure most people figured it out, but some of Harley Quinn's tapes are taken from TNBA episode Mad Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_vtn_gv1QM

My brtoher came over to play it with me and said that's word for word from that Mad Love episode. The only thing is Harley is talking as if she's harley already not calm and cool like she does in the episode *shrug*

Anyway why would you want to fight
Joker?
He can't go hand to hand with the bat at all...

I really can't get over how well this game was done, even the slight Harley/Ivy relationship nod was awesome.

Pimpbaa

I giggled when Harley said something along the lines of "a girl could have hours of fun with a gadget like that" when Batman was using the decryption gadget (considering it vibrates).

My question got lost in the end of the other page so Ima ask again :D . Is there hidden upgrades, abilities and things that encourage exploration besides the riddle trophies, or is everything available through story progression and XP farming?

how do you fight guys with stun batons? I mustve missed it when they explained it to me, the only thing it said was to dodge out of the way

Xevren

Gryphter said:
how do you fight guys with stun batons? I mustve missed it when they explained it to me, the only thing it said was to dodge out of the way

Dodge over them, he'll flip over them then you can just rip them apart.

Plissken

ToyMachine228 said:
Started dabbling in Challenge Mode and just started a new game. Playing through on Normal again to solve all the Riddler Challenges, and then I'll do a separate playthrough on Hard after. Quick question, how do you catch a Batarang?

Use the Remote Control Batarang in an open area, and guide it back to yourself.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Spike Spiegel said:
Jump over 'em, then hit them from the back. OR, build up your combo then hit them with a takedown move.

Xevren said:
Dodge over them, he'll flip over them then you can just rip them apart.

Oh! I always pull them over with the bat-claw so they drop it.

This fucking game!

Ri'Orius

McBacon said:
Oh! I always pull them over with the bat-claw so they drop it.

This fucking game!

Yeah, the batclaw and batarang are great for taking out the knife guys and the stun guys. Saves me the trouble of having to think too much mid-combo :D

I got all the Riddler challenges. So now I just need to do the Challenge rooms... which I'm never gonna do. So I guess I'm done with the game. Kinda disappointed I never
get to actually see Riddler

The spirit of Arkham stuff was cool.
Is Sharp anywhere on the island after I figure out it's him?

dodge over them? gotcha, thanks guys. I started to tear up during the
2nd Scarecrow hallucination, when you find his parents dead in the alley.
amazing game.

JRW

Holy crap how do I get a lot of points in the challenge rooms .. I cant even get 6,000 points between all 4 rounds lol.

How do you continue a combo streak? Ive gotten up to 20x combo but im not sure if I understand exactly how to achieve this.

I usually just spam the X button and press Y whenever I see the "Streaks" above there heads. Im sure the combat is a little deeper than this.. (I Hope).

i know im not the only one who did this...

at the "party" - when the line of thugs was cheering for me, i kindly sprayed all my gel on the floor, walked to the door and detonated it. i had to pause the game i was laughing so hard. unpaused and commenced to kicking every ass involved

Red

JRW said:
Holy crap how do I get a lot of points in the challenge rooms .. I cant even get 6,000 points between all 4 rounds lol.

How do you continue a combo streak? Ive gotten up to 20x combo but im not sure if I understand exactly how to achieve this.

I usually just spam the X button and press Y whenever I see the "Streaks" above there heads. Im sure the combat is a little deeper than this.. (I Hope).
I'll repost this. I'm sure others have plenty more strategies.

My tips!

If you lose your combo in the first round, quit and start over. It's usually the easiest and the one that's best to get a high variation bonus on. Always go for critical strikes! They'll instantly knock people down, allowing you to circle a room kicking fools in the head and then sweeping them up with some ground takedowns, which are, by far, where you'll score the most massive points (multiplies your counter by 100, so a 40 combo leading into a ground takedown will net you 4,000 points). Don't go in for ground takedowns unless
A.) you're away from the main group, hitting an isolated guy (this usually happens when you go after a dude who's getting a gun or ripping a fuse box off a wall)
or
B.) there are five or less guys left, as you'll have plenty of time this way to knock them all down and then hit one or two with a ground takedown. Just watch for the counter icon, as one guy may get up and rush to you in time

When you get a 5x combo immediately start dropping throws like they're going out of style. Save instant takedowns for knife thugs and stun baton thugs, as they'll rip right through their defenses and remove that obstacle from play. It's usually best to dodge roll out as soon as you finish your special move animation, as there could be some creep behind you, just offscreen, waiting to attack. Note that this strategy doesn't fly in either shock and awe map, as a simple throw won't knock a thug out (and that's sort of the point; the longer they're alive, the higher your combo can get and the more chances you have of doing a ground takedown). The time limit in shock and awe makes it imperative that you knock those guys out as fast as possible, so there I'd recommend you use instant takedowns exclusively.

If you see someone taking something off a wall or going for a gun, get over there as fast as you can. I found it best to get over there by chaining attacks from all the guys in the way, like playing connect the dots. When I tried doing a dodge roll over their heads, Batman always ended up changing direction mid-roll. Basically it caused way more trouble than it was worth.

Easy tip for increasing your variation bonus: open every round by using the batclaw (preferably ultra batclaw). It'll pull some guys toward you and immediately open them up for attack- especially useful if you've caught someone with knives. Don't open with a batclaw if there's a stun baton in the first row of attackers, as pulling one into you will cause Batman to take damage and distort the screen. It'll end your combo immediately and leave you open to attack.

Basically the trick is to string together combos as long as possible. Even without using takedown moves, consider the 10x multiplier you get from a single hit. At a 40 hit combo, you're getting 400 points for each hit landed. Your score will absolutely skyrocket even if you don't pull anything fancy. Criticals are worth 25x I believe (and you should always be aiming for those, always), as are kills for throwing people off of ledges, collateral damage, Titan riding, counters, and batclaw/batarang bonuses.

Your tastes may be different, but I'd recommend you avoid using the batarang. It can help clear an area, but nearly every time I used it I was left with a situation where I'd lose my combo. Batman would throw it in the wrong direction, or it would knock down the closest bad guys and Batman wouldn't leap to attack the ones farther away. Was more trouble than it was worth.

When playing rumble in the jungle extreme, try and get your multiplier as high as possible before jumping onto a downed Titan, as each slap he lands will multiply your counter by 25. Also it's probably best to hover around the right hand side gun box, as a lot of guys seem to go over there and shoot you while you're riding.

You'll be frustrated, especially when Batman does something you don't want him to do. 95% of the time everything will run smoothly, but you'll notice some quirks. Getting caught on walls, not properly prioritizing threats, missing counters... the guy is really showing his age.

Peff

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is there a specific throw button

Nope, you need to have an 8x combo (or 5x if you buy the upgrade) and press X+A. It has a pretty long range as long as there is someone standing.

venom2124

Rollo Larson said:
i know im not the only one who did this...

at the "party" - when the line of thugs was cheering for me, i kindly sprayed all my gel on the floor, walked to the door and detonated it. i had to pause the game i was laughing so hard. unpaused and commenced to kicking every ass involved

I did the same thing. At first I was cautious because I expected them to attack once I sprayed the gel. When they didn't, I sprayed two more and punched the nearest goon. Nice chain reaction and it made the room significantly easier to clear.

EekTheKat

Batarangs can actually disarm most enemies (well, knock down and cause them to drop their weapon). If used properly you can actually disarm the stun baton guys while you're in a combo, which just makes them into normal combo fodder until they try and pick up another weapon.

I usually use them after a dodge/roll to clear out guys going for the weapons locker, if the dodge gives me enough spacing it's more than entirely safe to throw it out there. Not to mention after you get the dodge/batarang combo down it totally makes Titans irrelevant in those mixed Titan/henchmen fights.

You do have to use it in mid combo (after the 3rd hit). Using the batarang as an opener won't work.

The only weapon that can't be disarmed are the knife wielder guys.

It's also a great combo extender and setup move for the Ground and Pound, not to mention it's probably the most reliable form of crowd control given its knockdown/disarm properties.

Much like the Batclaw, spacing is key in using batarangs, although it's a lot more forgiving than the Batclaw since you can go into a counter fairly fast right after the throw.

Red

EekTheKat said:
It's also a great combo extender and setup move for the Ground and Pound, not to mention it's probably the most reliable form of crowd control given its knockdown/disarm properties.
Thing is, for me, it's too effective. Knocks everyone down and then my combo ends because I have no one left to attack. It was hit or miss for me, so I prefer not using it.

EekTheKat

Crunched said:
Thing is, for me, it's too effective. Knocks everyone down and then my combo ends because I have no one left to attack. It was hit or miss for me, so I prefer not using it.

That's pretty much where the ground and pound comes in, if everyone gets knocked down (you can extend combos with GnP until the others get back up). Not to mention you don't have to use it if there's only 3 targets up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy SHIT I just got 63K on Sewer Bat Extreme. I didn't do very well that round but the 4th round got me 34,515. :lol

I just abused rolls and basic attacks, used the batclaw at the end to down three people, and got 3 ground takedowns in a row with a combo of 50. My score skyrocketed after that.

Whoever thought that repeatedly fighting multiple Titans plus a bunch of respawning goons would be anything remotely approaching fun needs a fucking slap. Fuck this, just fuck it. I was all ready to replay on hard difficulty, but now I don't think i'll fucking bother.

is there anyway to
drain that room thats full of gas?
. I've completed the game but can't see how you can get in. And theres a couple of riddler things in there

Bootaaay said:
Whoever thought that repeatedly fighting multiple Titans plus a bunch of respawning goons would be anything remotely approaching fun needs a fucking slap. Fuck this, just fuck it. I was all ready to replay on hard difficulty, but now I don't think i'll fucking bother.

You can take out the goons easy enough if you
hop on a titan and start slapping the fuck out of them

Red

Bootaaay said:
0078_1_lg.jpg

It gets easier.
Papercuts said:
Holy SHIT I just got 63K on Sewer Bat Extreme. I didn't do very well that round but the 4th round got me 34,515. :lol

I just abused rolls and basic attacks, used the batclaw at the end to down three people, and got 3 ground takedowns in a row with a combo of 50. My score skyrocketed after that.
Nice, filling your friend leaderboards up with envy.

Plissken

Messypandas said:
is there anyway to
drain that room thats full of gas?
. I've completed the game but can't see how you can get in. And theres a couple of riddler things in there

Head into the room there that the 2 guards are holed up in. You can get up to a ledge in there, and across the way is a wall that needs to be brought down with the super batclaw. Once you tear that down, there is a fan switch you toss a batarang at, and the room will drain.

Papercuts

Crunched said:
Nice, filling your friend leaderboards up with envy.

Now I just need to beat Rumble In The Jungle and Shock and Awe... :(

I can usually get the score for SoA but I just always run out of time on the last round, I have yet to even beat it once.

Plissken said:
Head into the room there that the 2 guards are holed up in. You can get up to a ledge in there, and across the way is a wall that needs to be brought down with the super batclaw. Once you tear that down, there is a fan switch you toss a batarang at, and the room will drain.

Much obliged sir

Ri'Orius

Crunched said:

If there're only three guys left, I usually use the BatClaw instead. It'll dizzy them all so you're not under fire, but leave them standing for a few seconds; you can combo on one of 'em and the other two will go down, leaving you alone with him. Nice to get an extra three hits in before ground takedowning them all.

Batarang is good when there's a mass of people, and you want to thin it out a bit (although with both, only use it if you've got some distance between you and the mob).

Red

Ri'Orius said:
If there're only three guys left, I usually use the BatClaw instead. It'll dizzy them all so you're not under fire, but leave them standing for a few seconds; you can combo on one of 'em and the other two will go down, leaving you alone with him. Nice to get an extra three hits in before ground takedowning them all.

Batarang is good when there's a mass of people, and you want to thin it out a bit (although with both, only use it if you've got some distance between you and the mob).
Yeah, I much prefer the batclaw. It's especially nice for those last three guys.

I finished the game on normal and got the
bane
ending. It might be random or it might be determined by what % of the extracurricular stuff you accomplished (I found everything in the singleplayer). Also, I didn't really have an issue with the last boss fight nor the ending. Maybe it's b/c everyone else in the thread thought it sucked. What was so bad about the ending? Maybe I'm missing something.

Papercuts

Yay, 36K on Shock and Awe Extreme. Screw that level, I had 40K+ and failed...this was the first time I actually beat it. One more to go!

Red

Gully State said:
I finished the game on normal and got the
bane
ending. It might be random or it might be determined by what % of the extracurricular stuff you accomplished (I found everything in the singleplayer). Also, I didn't really have an issue with the last boss fight nor the ending. Maybe it's b/c everyone else in the thread thought it sucked. What was so bad about the ending? Maybe I'm missing something.
Turns Joker into a generic enemy, and you hardly even fight him: the last battle could more or less sit in for any random brawl throughout the game.

I thought it was alright too, but my expectations were low.

Damn what a game. I just got to the third
Scarecrow
section. At first I thought my PS3 (launch model) bought the farm I was so pissed. BTW is there any way to avoid
getting shot in the head by the Joker??

AniHawk

Solideliquid said:
Damn what a game. I just got to the third
Scarecrow
section. At first I thought my PS3 (launch model) bought the farm I was so pissed. BTW is there any way to avoid
getting shot in the head by the Joker??

You have to move the middle stick like it says

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Doing a second playthrough. It's really great now that I have some experience.

What's your favorite take down? Lone goons get a sleeper hold. When it comes to multiple baddies I like to change it up a bit. Armed nogooders either get a baterang in the back of the head and then I'll take the rest out. If they're in a room filled with perches I'll just "hang" out until one walk by and string'm up. Lately, I've been having fun with the explosive gel. Oh, so much fun. :D

Red

Vilix said:
Doing a second playthrough. It's really great now that I have some experience.

What's your favorite take down? Lone goons get a sleeper hold. When it comes to multiple baddies I like to change it up a bit. Armed nogooders either get a baterang in the back of the head and then I'll take the rest out. If they're in a room filled with perches I'll just "hang" out until one walk by and string'm up. Lately, I've been having fun with the explosive gel. Oh, so much fun. :D
In single player, I always laid down some gel before startling a group of unarmed thugs, then hopped around doing ground takedowns. For guys with guns, I used silent takedowns exclusively. Inverted takedown was the very last upgrade I got.

Bootaaay said:

Yes, yes...a most excellent choice. And what type of cheese will you be having today, good sir to go with that whine? Hmmm? Eh? :lol

pixel monkey said:
Yes, yes...a most excellent choice. And what type of cheese will you be having today, good sir to go with that whine? Hmmm? Eh? :lol

Do you have anything in the way of a Gloucester, or maybe a nice Roquefort?

AniHawk

pixel monkey said:

It's a legit complaint. There's actually very little variety among bosses in the game. Ones that you fight directly, anyway.

MMaRsu

I got the
scarecrow
ending :D. The game was so awesome, going to start my second playthrough on hard right away!

Papercuts

54K on Rumble in the Jungle, f yeah. I tried going for really high scores on certain rounds but ended up faring average on all of them, ~16K or so, aside from round 3 which I horribly butchered and only got 6K on.

Red

AniHawk said:
It's a legit complaint. There's actually very little variety among bosses in the game. Ones that you fight directly, anyway.
I loved the
Scarecrow and Croc "fights"
, didn't care too much for the rest (which really were just the same thing over and over again with the exception of
Ivy
). If the next game has more of those sequence or event based fights instead of regular old boss battles I will be friggin' ecstatic.

Top Bottom