• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Crunched said:
Turns Joker into a generic enemy, and you hardly even fight him: the last battle could more or less sit in for any random brawl throughout the game.

I thought it was alright too, but my expectations were low.

Why are people complaining about this? Joker's fight skills are no match for Batman. He's always hid behind gimmicks, traps, surprises and goons. It's his way of doing things. Even with Titan in him, the guy just doesn't know how to fight.

Red

DoctorWho said:
Why are people complaining about this? Joker's fight skills are no match for Batman. He's always hid behind gimmicks, traps, surprises and goons. It's his way of doing things. Even with Titan in him, the guy just doesn't know how to fight.
Could have been a bit more creative, don't you think? It's basically
just a repeat of all the other Titan fights you've already been through. It's not terrible, but it's nothing special, which is where the complaints come from; had the rest of the game not been so finely paced and tuned, no one would have cared.

witness

I really really hope that the free DLC coming out is new costumes for the story mode. The
armored batsuit
for the challenge mode is fantastic but it would be great to have that in the story and see that costume in the cinematics.

Can't go wrong with more challenge maps as well, especially for the joker. Any word or theories on what it can be or what you guys are wishing for?

Red

witness said:
I really really hope that the free DLC coming out is new costumes for the story mode. The
armored batsuit
for the challenge mode is fantastic but it would be great to have that in the story and see that costume in the cinematics.

Can't go wrong with more challenge maps as well, especially for the joker. Any word or theories on what it can be or what you guys are wishing for?
My guess is challenge maps and costumes. Maybe new characters for challenge mode. What else could it be?

Dave1988

2vb0emv.jpg

Yay, my leaderboard score glitched out :/

Anyway, is there a way to check the top of the leaderboard after you upload a score?

Sean

Banned
Gully State said:
Also, I didn't really have an issue with the last boss fight nor the ending. Maybe it's b/c everyone else in the thread thought it sucked. What was so bad about the ending? Maybe I'm missing something.

The ending was pretty lame.
You're fighting against a bunch of random thugs which you've been doing all game, nothing special or exciting about it. And then the huge ass Titan Joker monster thing is somehow stunned by getting pulled like five feet off a tiny platform? And you basically beat him by uppercutting him three times.
Was just an uninspiring final encounter.

Red

Sean said:
You're fighting against a bunch of random thugs which you've been doing all game, nothing special or exciting about it. And then the huge ass Titan Joker monster thing is somehow stunned by getting pulled like five feet off a tiny platform? And you basically beat him by uppercutting him three times.
I think for a lesser game it would have been solid, but here it felt like diminished quality. Wasn't as pants-shitting good, didn't have to play it in the bathroom like I did for the rest of the game.

Sean said:

Well he doesn't really get stunned. His claws get stuck in the floorboard's holes. And the knockout is actually from the exploding knockout blow in the end.
The ending is unimaginative but it falls in line with the weapons that joker has in his disposal. I mean he spent all this time and effort to obtain
titan, why would he all of a sudden just not use it in the end?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gully State said:
Well he doesn't really get stunned. His claws get stuck in the floorboard's holes. And the knockout is actually from the exploding knockout blow in the end.
The ending is unimaginative but it falls in line with the weapons that joker has in his disposal. I mean he spent all this time and effort to obtain
titan, why would he all of a sudden just not use it in the end?

Well, why would he use it in the end and not fight with it? Joker may not be a fighter, but the sole reason for using the Titan formula is to become powerful, yet the Joker only took a few slashes then jumped back.

EekTheKat

Stuff I'd like to see in a sequel :

Flashbangs - Useful in a quick escape, especially if the guards have you flanked. Would probably have to put it on a cooldown like the sonic batarang and/or have it not work under certain conditions.

Smoke grenades - For sneaking by watch towers, and other uses. Smoke Grenade + detective mode in combat would be awesome.

Destructable lights - Using batarangs to create dark areas in a room. Helpful to sneak by certain areas. Terrified henchmen would react and just sit in the one lit area of the room if they realize they're alone and the rest of the map has gone dark.

Most of these have some fairly obvious counters for Henchmen, though it would involve guards/henchmen that are better geared than the ones in AA.

Papercuts said:
Well, why would he use it in the end and not fight with it? Joker may not be a fighter, but the sole reason for using the Titan formula is to become powerful, yet the Joker only took a few slashes then jumped back.

to toss bombs

Xevren

I felt that most of the boss fights were kind of weak personally. I think that's really the only part of the game that wasn't that good. I loved the game though, definitely my GOTY so far. Just think they could have done better on the bosses.
Loved the Scarecrow stuff though

DorianD

I just finished batman and thought it was a great game. The game is pretty darn tough playing it on hard mode when you cannot see the counter flashes. overall fun time playing as the dark knight. I hope they bring some DLC in form of costumes for batman.

JRW

Vilix said:
Doing a second playthrough. It's really great now that I have some experience.

What's your favorite take down? Lone goons get a sleeper hold. When it comes to multiple baddies I like to change it up a bit. Armed nogooders either get a baterang in the back of the head and then I'll take the rest out. If they're in a room filled with perches I'll just "hang" out until one walk by and string'm up. Lately, I've been having fun with the explosive gel. Oh, so much fun. :D

I'm thinking about doing a 2nd playthrough on Hard this time, Originally played Normal and didn't know about some of the possible take downs until very late in the game. (such as ledge take downs & being able to pull enemies off ledges with the batclaw.

Montresor

I received my
party invitation
. Will the final boss fight occur if I go to the
party
?

Just making sure, because once I got it I decided to just "scour the earth for that motherfucker" (aka finding all the riddler challenges).

JRW

nourali2 said:
I received my
party invitation
. Will the final boss fight occur if I go to the
party
?

Just making sure, because once I got it I decided to just "scour the earth for that motherfucker" (aka finding all the riddler challenges).

Yes once you enter the party you cant come back out, however you can still search for riddles after the game is completed by choosing Continue story, although there wont be any enemies to fight and hardly any music, can get a little lonely lol

Neiteio

I love the 3D figurines you can unlock. Does anyone know where I can find any particular models in the game? So far I can view the models of Batman, Batmobile, Boles and Bane.

witness

Hyunkel6 said:
You guys keep talking about a free dlc coming soon. Has this been confirmed?

Look at the streaming newsbar ticker thing at the bottom of the main menu and you'll see it mentioned.

Papercuts

Neiteio said:
I love the 3D figurines you can unlock. Does anyone know where I can find any particular models in the game? So far I can view the models of Batman, Batmobile, Boles and Bane.

Not sure of the specifics, but if you look at the riddler's menu you see a green key on all the things that'll unlock stuff.

I always like 3D figurines like this, though RE5 is still king in that area.

Kusagari

Just got all the Riddler challenges and
That was fucking awesome. Hearing Riddler go absolutely insane as he realized Batman had traced down his location was an amazing moment.

quickwhips

So I played through this awesome game on hard first time and finished. What a great game. I got everything except I missed party pooper achievement. Now I have to go back through whole game for this one. Definately taking easy difficulty this time. Got a little frustrated on the Titans.

Montresor

legend166 said:
Great, thanks guys.

FYI, you can't pick and choose which save slot to overwrite when you're saving in-game. There is only auto-save in this game, triggered everytime you enter a new room, overwriting only the save file you initially chose. So it's not like Bioshock where you can save to multiple files and create backups to early areas in the game.

Ok. so I've never been a huge Batman fan, but I am a general comic book fan. I've also never really dabbled in reading the mainstream superheroes.

I already own The Dark Knight Returns and Year 100.

If I'm looking to get two more Batman GN's, would Year One and Killing Joke be good ideas? Is Year One the prequel to DKR?

bathala

Banned
Tyrant boss was kind of let down. I wish more boss variation in the future and interactive environment for creative stealth takedowns.

the ending was avg, and
nice to see u can still play after the game is over

Montresor

Amir0x said:
i just past that part a little while ago.

I thought that was epic enough. Until I experienced the next 30 minutes of the game! :lol

Fudge, I don't remember what happens after the
the batplane gives you the horizontal hookshot
, or if it was epic...

Amir0x

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Ok. so I've never been a huge Batman fan, but I am a general comic book fan. I've also never really dabbled in reading the mainstream superheroes.

I already own The Dark Knight Returns and Year 100.

If I'm looking to get two more Batman GN's, would Year One and Killing Joke be good ideas? Is Year One the prequel to DKR?

As related to this one specifically, you should pick up:

Batman: Mad Love (The complete story of Harley Quinn and why she fell in love with Joker)
Hush Volume 1&2 (It's got some issues but overall it says a lot about Batman as a character)
The Long Halloween and Dark Victory
Arkham Asylum (where many of this game's ideas come from)

And of course, the ones you listed.

nourali said:
Fudge, I don't remember what happens after the the batplane gives you the horizontal hookshot, or if it was epic...

The next
Scarecrow segment!

Montresor

Amir0x said:
The next
Scarecrow segment!

I had a feeling it that might have been what you were talking about. And yes, that segment was fucking awesome. :D

I assume that's the third such encounter (in fact I'm positive it was), and so I have a question:

So the joker in my nightmare shot me, and I got a gamer over screen. The game over screen gives me a tip: "Use the left control stick to avoid Joker's shot." Okay, but when I chose retry it reloaded me past that part of the nightmare, and I ended up platforming through the third scarecrow maze. What happens if I avoid Joker's shot?

Just finished up Story Mode on normal difficulty and... WOW. I mean, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Top notch production from start to finish, and a serious contender (if not a shoe-in) for Game of the Year. I bought into next-gen gaming in anticipation of Street Fighter IV, but it took Batman Arkham Asylum to make that PS3 purchase feel completely, 100% justified. Completely recaptures that feeling I had as a kid, watching BTAS for the first time or seeing Michael Keaton swoop down from rooftops.

I love this game.

Papercuts

nourali2 said:
I had a feeling it that might have been what you were talking about. And yes, that segment was fucking awesome. :D

I assume that's the third such encounter (in fact I'm positive it was), and so I have a question:

So the joker in my nightmare shot me, and I got a gamer over screen. The game over screen gives me a tip: "Use the left control stick to avoid Joker's shot." Okay, but when I chose retry it reloaded me past that part of the nightmare, and I ended up platforming through the third scarecrow maze. What happens if I avoid Joker's shot?

You'll never avoid it with the left stick, you need to use the middle one!

Papercuts

haldalish said:
Can you grapple people and pull them over/off ledges?

id love to do this :)

Yup. Just grab on and wait for someone to pass. You can also take corner cover and do a takedown out of that.

Amir0x said:
Batman: Mad Love (The complete story of Harley Quinn and why she fell in love with Joker)
Hush Volume 1&2 (It's got some issues but overall it says a lot about Batman as a character)
The Long Halloween and Dark Victory
Arkham Asylum (where many of this game's ideas come from)

And of course, the ones you listed.

thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I will actually follow through this time. I read up on Arkham Asylum and that looks interesting. If I do, I'll probably grab that, Year One, Killing Joke and maybe Long Halloween

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
bigdaddygamebot said:
I was fucking terrified another 360 up and died on me...it was horrific.

This happened to me last night @ 3 in the morning! Had just left Botanical Gardens and the game crashed and tried to reboot only to see RROD. My valiant launch unit had finally died. Like Batman though, I had my backup plan in place long ago: my Jasper Arcade unit was still packed up in my basement and I quickly made the switch and was back in action shortly. Love this goddamn game. :D

Papercuts

mattso said:
shock and awe extreme is kicking my butt. Keep running out of time. GRRR

Seriously, fuck that level. They don't give enough time on the last stage, it wouldn't have been as bad if you still had the score recorded, but it drops it unless you actually beat it.

Top Bottom