• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Montresor

Papercuts said:
Seriously, fuck that level. They don't give enough time on the last stage, it wouldn't have been as bad if you still had the score recorded, but it drops it unless you actually beat it.

Man, I'm really worried about those challenges. I want 1000/1000 on this game and I think the challenges might hold me back. I'm on my way to 100%'ing the main storyline, but I don't think I'll get that 100% achievement if it requires you to beat all the challenges too.

Xevren

Papercuts said:
Seriously, fuck that level. They don't give enough time on the last stage, it wouldn't have been as bad if you still had the score recorded, but it drops it unless you actually beat it.

I have the same problem. I hate time limits!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
nourali2 said:
Man, I'm really worried about those challenges. I want 1000/1000 on this game and I think the challenges might hold me back. I'm on my way to 100%'ing the main storyline, but I don't think I'll get that 100% achievement if it requires you to beat all the challenges too.

They're definitely the hardest part about 100%, I guess that achievement is more of a final thing to get for everyone. I'm at 99% right now because I still have one level left, so after I beat it I'll get the last two.

Xevren said:
I have the same problem. I hate time limits!

Yup, I hate being rushed, makes me play sloppy. Then you lose anyway. In that level in particular I still only beat it with about 2 seconds left, you pretty much have no room for error.

mattso

Papercuts said:
They're definitely the hardest part about 100%, I guess that achievement is more of a final thing to get for everyone. I'm at 99% right now because I still have one level left, so after I beat it I'll get the last two.

Yup, I hate being rushed, makes me play sloppy. Then you lose anyway. In that level in particular I still only beat it with about 2 seconds left, you pretty much have no room for error.
I wouldn't mind the time so much if half the room didn't have stun rods. I can't keep a combo up because every time I attack I end up running into them.

I've had the 30k but just not the time. Oh well. I shall persevere.

I hope the last combat challenge isn't as tough.

AlternativeUlster said:
What the fuck? I played the demo and thought it was terrible. Might pick this up once it hits the bargain bins since its praise can't be ignored.

the demo sucks compared to the game...i was going to pass on the game because of it but ended up getting it at a good sale price...totally worth buying/renting...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
mattso said:
did you not batarang either of them? When I did it I just didn't use the batarang on one.

No, which is what sucked. I basically had them charge into each other until one of them had a bar down, jumped on that ones back. Hit the other one down to one bar depleted, get thrown off. Quickly get on the dazed enemy, slap the one I was just on around :)lol ) some more and then go back to having them ram each other down to a bar. Frustrating, because after one of them is gone (and I messed up my dodge) I had to hand-to-hand the last one to daze him to combo him out.

Also, what's up with the multiple endings you guys are talking about? My ending was
Batman putting that explosive gel on his knuckles, KO'ing the Joker. Two-Face (ZOMG SEQUEL!?) is in Gotham and after the credits Croc's hand appears with Titan
. That the
Croc Ending
you guys are talking about?

I still have to get the 40 combo and perfect fist combo achievement/trophy. I tried to do them while doing
Party Pooper
but kept getting my ass kicked. Highest combo I've gotten is 32 then got hit out of it. :( I suck at fist-fights against a group and suck at counters. :(

Still, I think I'm going to finish collecting my
Riddler Challenges
stuff now that I finished the game on Normal. When I buy the game in a couple of months or so I may attempt hard and the challenges. But the last three areas of the game was like "Hard" at the start of the game for me, I died a lot. :lol

Hyunkel6

haldalish said:
I meant with the batclaw. doesnt seem to work for me, they just fall down

When I was doing it, the enemies were very close to the ledges. Maybe you are grappling enemies too far from ledges?

Papercuts

mattso said:
I wouldn't mind the time so much if half the room didn't have stun rods. I can't keep a combo up because every time I attack I end up running into them.

I've had the 30k but just not the time. Oh well. I shall persevere.

I hope the last combat challenge isn't as tough.

I'd just roll all over the place, use takedowns on the guy with knives, then try to just knock the stun rod out of their hands. It can be annoying even if you don't get hit because it can take awhile.

TTP said:
sbtx07.jpg

It's a graphic novel.

just won an ebay auction for this 1st edition 6th impression ...

mattso

TheSeks said:
No, which is what sucked. I basically had them charge into each other until one of them had a bar down, jumped on that ones back. Hit the other one down to one bar depleted, get thrown off. Quickly get on the dazed enemy, slap the one I was just on around :)lol ) some more and then go back to having them ram each other down to a bar. Frustrating, because after one of them is gone (and I messed up my dodge) I had to hand-to-hand the last one to daze him to combo him out.
See I just picked one and made him my batarang bitch. I'd stun him and then let him swing around dazed for a bit. Usually I'd get some luck and he'd hit my mano-a-mano titan and stun him for me and I'd run in and get some hits. Then I'd run over to the batarang bitch and hit him so I could use him to slap the other one silly. Rinse and repeat until the batarang bitch died. Then I would run up to the other, jump over him, punch twice, then run out until he died.

TheSeks said:
Also, what's up with the multiple endings you guys are talking about? My ending was
Batman putting that explosive gel on his knuckles, KO'ing the Joker. Two-Face (ZOMG SEQUEL!?) is in Gotham and after the credits Croc's hand appears with Titan
. That the
Croc Ending
you guys are talking about?
I got
Scarecrow grabbing the Titan crate floating in the water.
So I guess there are multiple endings?

Papercuts

Spike Spiegel said:
I got
Scarecrow grabbing the Titan crate floating in the water.
So I guess there are multiple endings?

Scarecrow, Croc, or Bane. Seems completely random.

mattso

Papercuts said:
I'd just roll all over the place, use takedowns on the guy with knives, then try to just knock the stun rod out of their hands. It can be annoying even if you don't get hit because it can take awhile.
I'll try rolling some more. I try to use the takedown when I can but the closest I got so far was about 3-4 guys left when it ended.

Papercuts

mattso said:
I'll try rolling some more. I try to use the takedown when I can but the closest I got so far was about 3-4 guys left when it ended.

Yeah, I had that problem a lot. The only difference when I beat it was avoiding takedowns on the stun rod guys, seems to waste too much time.

mattso

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I had that problem a lot. The only difference when I beat it was avoiding takedowns on the stun rod guys, seems to waste too much time.
WOOOOOOOO 41680!

rolling helped a bit, thanks bud.

I only got the instant takedown on 2 of them but I nailed a bunch of counters and cape stuns and got lucky knocking a few knife/stunners off the edge. I managed to end it with a ground pound off a 35x combo.

Currently 179 on the leaderboards for that one now. Sweet.

Ri'Orius

mattso said:
See I just picked one and made him my batarang bitch. I'd stun him and then let him swing around dazed for a bit. Usually I'd get some luck and he'd hit my mano-a-mano titan and stun him for me and I'd run in and get some hits. Then I'd run over to the batarang bitch and hit him so I could use him to slap the other one silly. Rinse and repeat until the batarang bitch died. Then I would run up to the other, jump over him, punch twice, then run out until he died.

I went for Mano a Mano in one of the challenges (
Rumble in the Jungle round 4, I think?
). Kill all the mooks while avoiding the Titan. Then, when it's just you and him,
spray some explosive gel on the floor in the center of the room and detonate it when he gets nearby.
It'll make the fight pretty easy (since the
gel
will put him into this stunned/blinded state while still getting you the trophy).

Also, if you do it in the challenge room,
you only need to take down one health bar: once it's done, you can keep hitting him and he'll go down.
Easy and very tedium-free.

xinoart

Banned
Listen to TTP and get The Dark Knight Returns. I have my leatherbound edition with me. It's spectacular. I'm dying to get this game. :-(

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Haven't been posting or reading in here until I was finished, which I am now!

Just beat it on Hard, first playthrough. A most excellent game, but I would deem it a flawed masterpiece. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played, and certainly the best comic book game ever, not to mention licensed game ever. It has its share of problems, though. Batman facing the wrong direction sometimes during fights. Repetitive boss fights (seriously, how many times do I have to fight rooms with Titans and goons again?)

Hard wasn't too hard, took me no more than 3-4 tries per boss/large battle. I'm REALLY pissed that I missed the Party Pooper trophy, guess I'll play it back through on Easy for that one. Ended up getting 165/240 Riddler's done through my one playthrough, definitely going back and getting them all.

Not sure I'll get Platinum trophy on it, though. I'm not very good at fighting, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

In the end, I hope this sells millions and we get a sequel in a couple years. I'm guessing this will end up being my 2nd favorite game of the year, behind Uncharted 2.

ugh I just found out that the L1 quick batarang has enough precision to auto target titan heads. I was manually aiming those the whole time.

Just finished, what an awesome awesome game, apologies if the following is just me rambling incoherently the game has deprived me of more sleep then usual for a weekend :D

I was shouting at the tv as the ending played for a button I could push to buy the sequel already :lol

So many awesome nods to Batman lore, Rocksteady really outdid themselves in that department.

40/47
achievements done, 88%. Need to get the remaining challenges done and the Freeflow Perfection for 100%.

I'd already mentioned 1) in an earlier post, but:

1) Holy shit at the Batwing's entrance, that was so cool
2) The third scarecrow attack with the changed intro took me by complete surprise, that may have been when this game ticked the EPIC box, though all the scarecrow stuff was awesome, walking into a corridor only for it to become progressively more and more Crime Alley was genius.
3) Ivy has hit my #1 spot for redheads, they made her so damn hot in this :lol
4) Eddie getting arrested when you find all of the riddles was cool as was the reveal of the spirit of Arkham, I loved how I never felt that any of that was a pointless collect-a-thon, I wanted to go and track every single thing down.
5) The little "It's me, remember" when Babs asked how Bruce had kept the Arkham cave a secret was brilliant

God I could probably go on for ages about all the awesome little things they added.

I got the 40x multiplier on the first wave of goons Titan Joker sends after you, took me like 8 goes mind.

I loved even the little touches like the fact that the game doesn't bother showing you the empty trophy/challenge menus at the start like most games do, it just shows you the important info: getting the brightness right, subtitles and the difficulty then bam you're in.

Even the credits were nice to watch roll.

I can't wait to dig into the DVD in the collector's edition for the behind the scenes stuff, I'd love to see a ridiculously lengthy post-mortem on this.

On the subject of difficulty, Hard wasn't too bad, after a while, you do start to get a feel for it, it was only when lots of guys bunched up, (especially in the smaller rooms or the last fight as the camera can't be moved to help) that it was hard to judge a counter against or when too many sodding knife guys were around me.

The only thing I can think right now to improve a potential sequel is have Batman drape his damn cape around him when he's standing still. :D

I think I mentioned this before, but do have any lists going for the challenge leaderboards, specifically 360?

I have no problem being 1st or 2nd on the predator leaderboards in the normal maps, but I tried Silent Knight Extreme, wtf. I am at a loss, I cant firgure it out for the life of me. I got all three objectives but it took forever.

Papercuts

MiamiWesker said:
I have no problem being 1st or 2nd on the predator leaderboards in the normal maps, but I tried Silent Knight Extreme, wtf. I am at a loss, I cant firgure it out for the life of me. I got all three objectives but it took forever.

Is that the one with the crazy ass triple wall explosion? It take me a minute alone to set that up, no idea how the top people have that one.

Kard8p3

All I need to finish up with the Riddler is one of the chattering teeth in the medical facility. I've gone through the whole place 48 times now and the last one is no where in site. It's starting to get on my nerves.

Neiteio

I knew all along this screen was real-time, but I was astounded to see Killer Croc looked this good in-game:

BAA-KillerCroc02.jpg

This is one good-looking game. :)

TheSeks

mattso said:

I didn't want to jinx it and hit the one I was mano-ing with a batrang in haste. So I went hardcore, in my defense. :lol

DogWelder

Way too many posts in this thread to read, but I'm guessing a lot of people thought they got RROD
right before the third scarecrow fight.
Fucking scared me. The
"use the middle stick to dodge Joker's gunfire" was a nice touch. I was confused until I realized they were just fucking with me.

Hawk SE

I can't wait 2 more weeks...I will be getting the 360 version of Batman AA tomorrow.

I want the PC version for higher-res and the PhysX stuff....but you guys don't make it easy. Plus I could get Batman on Steam when it goes into a super cheap "Weekend Deal" or something.

But for the rest of the year there are too many games I want to play that are together: Halo 3: ODST, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Forza 3, Brutal Legend, etc.

So I MUST play this now, thanks GAF!

Red

abstract alien said:
I cant find my last three joker teeth in Intensive Treatment for the life of me. Its the only riddle I have left to solve :^(
Do the Riddler maps show the teeth?

TheSeks

abstract alien said:
I cant find my last three joker teeth in Intensive Treatment for the life of me. Its the only riddle I have left to solve :^(

Yeah, the Joker teeth (in Arkham North) are eluding me, by 2. Fucking things and fucking things counting toward that 100%. ARGH!

Hyunkel6

bathala said:
when that happened I was like Oh shit 3 rings of death.

it reminds me of Kojima and MGS

Just did that part. I almost had a heart attack. I really thought my 360 was dying. Horrible feeling.
But the 50 achievement pts were worth it.

Kard8p3

abstract alien said:

I only have one left in the medical facility but I can't find it either.

TheSeks

mattso said:
that is weird you only have one. They always appear in groups of 2 or 3

The first area of the game has three that are single only. I just did that area.

Games Radar can spoil the general locations for you. But the Arkham North location for the last two (that I'm assuming I'm missing) I can't seem to figure out from their directions. :|

TheSeks said:
Yeah, the Joker teeth (in Arkham North) are eluding me, by 2. Fucking things and fucking things counting toward that 100%. ARGH!

Check the "entrances" to each zone and check the guard towers. That's where I found mine.

TheSeks

bigdaddygamebot said:
Check the "entrances" to each zone and check the guard towers. That's where I found mine.

I have the guard tower. I know that for sure (there's only one of them if Games Radar is right).

The entrences are the ones that are confusing me, AFAIK there isn't any that I'm missing near there, but apparently I am or something. :| I think I'll comb the area tomorrow/later today.

Top Bottom