• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

mattso

Survival tactics extreme was pretty easy. I messed around a few times to get a feel of what I should do and my first time beating it was in 1:20.76 for 65th place on the leaderboards. Not too shabby eh? :D

I mean, I know I'm no superhuman getting 33 seconds like the number one guy but I'm still proud of myself.

Ri'Orius

Y'know what 50025 is? VICTORY! That's what.

Just finished the last combat challenge. I didn't get as high a combo on the last Titan Finish as usual, ended up with 46525; I thought for a moment that I needed to have gotten a 9 move versatility bonus, and that I'd failed to do so, but the 8 move bonus was just enough.

Now the only things left to do are:

-Find four more teeth (le sigh...)
-Do the predator challenge I skipped 'cause I don't want to upgrade to proximity gel until the last possible moment.
-Find the Spirit
...and play through on Easy so I can poop a party (also le sigh).

Oh, and I've got two ???? trophies... Maybe I'll run into them on my Easy run; if not, I might have to resort to a outside help, which would be disappointing.

Also on the list of things which are disappointing? No platinum trophy. 100% is a gold trophy. It's still a platinum in my heart...

mattso

65065 for rumble in the jungle extreme for 112 on the leaderboards.

Rocked the shit out of the first round and then ignored the titan for as long as possible in the 2nd round and I was already at 40k by round 3

After I beat the game on hard I will definitely be coming back to these to try and move up, I have a feeling with some time I could do pretty well on this one.

#1 on the leaderboards right now has 2595196 points. Holy crap :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ri'Orius said:
Oh, and I've got two ???? trophies...

Also on the list of things which are disappointing? No platinum trophy. 100% is a gold trophy. It's still a platinum in my heart...

... :lol You're kidding, right?
The top trophy/achievement on the achievment list for PS3 is ALWAYS a Platinum for Blu-ray games. ALWAYS. Even if it's hidden/???'ed. It's ALWAYS there.

Captain N

TheSeks said:
... :lol You're kidding, right?
The top trophy/achievement on the achievment list for PS3 is ALWAYS a Platinum for Blu-ray games. ALWAYS. Even if it's hidden/???'ed. It's ALWAYS there.

Why is that a spoiler? Lame, but anyway...the trophy he is talking about would be getting 100% in the game. The Platinum trophy is getting all of the trophies.

TheSeks

Captain N said:
Why is that a spoiler? Lame, but anyway...the trophy he is talking about would be getting 100% in the game. The Platinum trophy is getting all of the trophies.

It's a spoiler to keep the "are you joking" in line with disbelief. I guess I'm misreading his later part by saying "no platinum" but really, everyone that keeps going "ZOMG (achievement) should be Plat!" is forgetting that Sony uses it as an extra incentive to 1000gs/100% the list. It'll NEVER be a ho-hum achievement level. :/

Papercuts said:
Is that the one with the crazy ass triple wall explosion? It take me a minute alone to set that up, no idea how the top people have that one.

Yeah that one, same here. Clearly they are not going through the vents to that wall in the back, they must be using the one that is a roof on the other side but i cant get a guy to stand under it while everyone else is in place.

Whatever, I'm now 1st place on Record Breaker Extreme, beat the old time by 7 seconds. :D

JRW

Anyone else find it odd (or overlooked) that during your search for Riddles the Riddler would sometimes say things like "What!? Are you Cheating?" or "How did you find that, Are you looking these up on the Internet".. Yet he's the one that put out all those Secrets maps in each area and therefore these comments don't really make sense lol.

TheSeks

JRW said:
Anyone else find it odd (or overlooked) that during your search for Riddles the Riddler would sometimes say things like "What!? Are you Cheating?" or "How did you find that, Are you looking these up on the Internet".. Yet he's the one that put out all those Secrets maps in each area and therefore these comments don't really make sense lol.

It's more tongue-in-cheek/4th wall break than the secret maps being a contradiction. The maps give a general area, while guides on the internet can give an exact with photos location.

Ri'Orius

MiamiWesker said:
Yeah that one, same here. Clearly they are not going through the vents to that wall in the back, they must be using the one that is a roof on the other side but i cant get a guy to stand under it while everyone else is in place.

Whatever, I'm now 1st place on Record Breaker Extreme, beat the old time by 7 seconds. :D

Oh man, there was an easier wall through some vents? I went for a ceiling one and used a Sonic Batarang to lure someone in. Barely got it working; took a bunch of tries for the timing to line up...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MiamiWesker said:

Haha, holy crap. And now that you mention it, maybe it is possible without the vent. If you went right up the ladder, grapple up, gel the roof, line shot across, gel the wall, grapple up, then throw a sonic batarang down where that goes(if you can see it), then grapple across and gel it...I might actually have to try it like this, I'm just thinking in theory. Still though, I don't know an easier way to kick someone through a window, I used a sonic batarang for that too, and it takes too long to recharge a second one in that timespan.

Edit: Uhhh, kinda works? At 43 seconds I would've been able to do it, but 2 guards are walking over it, maybe need to do a different order. Either way, the first guy is only at 48 seconds, I seriously don't see how that is possible.

Cipher

Just finished Sewer Bat (Extreme) now all I have left to do in the challenges is Shock and Awe (Extreme.) I don't like that map one bit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After giving the Steam demo a serious play through last night I am really looking forward to this game. I am especially excited about the gameplay at the end of the demo where you had to stealthily take down like 4 guards in a room. It felt like I was playing a really polished version of Tenchu except I was a Batman! Awesome!

I really wish this got a simultaneous PC release. By the time it comes out in October I will probably be playing a lot of other stuff and will end up waiting until a sale to get it.

Papercuts

mattso said:
65065 for rumble in the jungle extreme for 112 on the leaderboards.

Rocked the shit out of the first round and then ignored the titan for as long as possible in the 2nd round and I was already at 40k by round 3

After I beat the game on hard I will definitely be coming back to these to try and move up, I have a feeling with some time I could do pretty well on this one.

#1 on the leaderboards right now has 2595196 points. Holy crap :lol

WTF? :lol

That isn't a typo either, what in the flying fuck. The top guy has 25065196, the guy in second has 90665. Wow.

revolverjgw said:
Pretty much the only section in this game that wasn't totally awesome was Killer Croc's lair.
Its a bit sad, since Croc had a serious "Ill flip your ass like a cheese omelet" vibe going on. He was actually really threatening to me, but his section was underpowered. The final battle wasnt all that hot either, but there was so much awesome that came beforehand that I didnt care.

Gigglepoo

revolverjgw said:
Pretty much the only section in this game that wasn't totally awesome was Killer Croc's lair.

The sound design in that part was so incredible, though. Made the section tense, even though the gameplay wasn't anything special.

Cipher

YES! Just got the Freeflow Gold achievement and Perfect Knight! :D Now the only thing standing in my way for the full 1000GS is finishing the game on Hard.

SlickVic

Zefah said:
After giving the Steam demo a serious play through last night I am really looking forward to this game. I am especially excited about the gameplay at the end of the demo where you had to stealthily take down like 4 guards in a room. It felt like I was playing a really polished version of Tenchu except I was a Batman! Awesome!

I really wish this got a simultaneous PC release. By the time it comes out in October I will probably be playing a lot of other stuff and will end up waiting until a sale to get it.

PC Version is coming out just a smidge over 2 weeks from now on September 15. Sure you'll be able to wait it out. Gonna guess the Steam version will come out the same time.

Zzoram

Wow the challenges are really hard for me. The best I can do is get 1 batarang on some of the combat challenges. The predator challenges are super hard for me as well because I haven't even gotten 1 batarang for any of them.

No gold/plat trophy for me from this game. I hope Uncharted is a bit easier for trophies. I don't care so much about putting in time, I think I just lack the skill to get the Batman ones.

EekTheKat

Zzoram said:
Wow the challenges are really hard for me. The best I can do is get 1 batarang on some of the combat challenges. The predator challenges are super hard for me as well because I haven't even gotten 1 batarang for any of them.

No gold/plat trophy for me from this game. I hope Uncharted is a bit easier for trophies. I don't care so much about putting in time, I think I just lack the skill to get the Batman ones.

The predator ones are more about patience than anything. Since the actual challenges in predator mode are not timed you can take literally all day to learn the AI's behavior and use it to your advantage.

The one thing that helped me a ton with predator challenges was when I realized that
guards have a relatively fixed patrol path until they realize you're there. Once I began to set up traps and/or do most of the complicated batarang trophy first the rest was a lot easier to do. Once they realize you're there the pathing and behaviors change quite a bit.

Montresor

EekTheKat said:
The predator ones are more about patience than anything. Since the actual challenges in predator mode are not timed you can take literally all day to learn the AI's behavior and use it to your advantage.

The one thing that helped me a ton with predator challenges was when I realized that
guards have a relatively fixed patrol path until they realize you're there. Once I began to set up traps and/or do most of the complicated batarang trophy first the rest was a lot easier to do. Once they realize you're there the pathing and behaviors change quite a bit.

How does one figure out what the predator challenges mean? Like for example, I read online that Tug Of War means use the claw to tug three (exactly three) guards off of a railing.

I could be missing something really obvious.

Zzoram

nourali2 said:
How does one figure out what the predator challenges mean? Like for example, I read online that Tug Of War means use the claw to tug three (exactly three) guards off of a railing.

That's ridiculous. I have no clue what they mean, which is probably why I suck so bad at the challenges.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SlickVic said:
PC Version is coming out just a smidge over 2 weeks from now on September 15. Sure you'll be able to wait it out. Gonna guess the Steam version will come out the same time.

I'll have to check on that, but I remember seeing "Coming October" on the Steam store last night.

Gribbix

nourali2 said:

Press Back/Select. It'll tell you what you need to do to complete each of those predator requirements.

I just beat
Bane
. When am I going to get Batclaw and Cryptography sequencer? I see many Riddler locations which I can't access without these.

JRW

esc said:
Way too many posts in this thread to read, but I'm guessing a lot of people thought they got RROD
right before the third scarecrow fight.
Fucking scared me. The
"use the middle stick to dodge Joker's gunfire" was a nice touch. I was confused until I realized they were just fucking with me.

Yes I did especially considering I played through the entire game on a launch 360 (Oct 2005 mfg. date) which has been repaired twice for RROD so far lol.

Tonza

revolverjgw said:
I'm playing on PS3 but the Scarecrow part with the graphical glitches still scared me. I'm terrified of losing my PS2 BC.

Same, I thought "Oh Shit" for a moment. Just last week my 360 died so I was thinking I had the worst luck of all.

But yeah this is a contender for GOTY for me. The game is full of awesome moments and they really nailed the feeling of being Batman. Im now heading to fight
Ivy
. So Im pretty close to the end I guess. Haven't touched the challenges yet. I would like this to be my first platinum trophy but I thought the same about InFamous. (and I think I have 45% trophies in that.... :lol )

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it yesterday. Amazing experience. I'd say overall there was one too many Titan battle and the
Killer Croc section was tedious as hell. I kept asking myself how that ended up in the final game. Very repetitive and they made it go on forever.
Weird and baffling segment in a game this great.

It's easily goty for me though. I want to start on the challenges, but I'll have to seriously train on my combat skills. I keep losing my combo counter fairly early on in the chain.

btw I don't know how many of you beat this on hard, but I can really see
Ivy phase 2 and Joker fights
being pretty darn tricky on that difficulty.

legend166

nourali2 said:
FYI, you can't pick and choose which save slot to overwrite when you're saving in-game. There is only auto-save in this game, triggered everytime you enter a new room, overwriting only the save file you initially chose. So it's not like Bioshock where you can save to multiple files and create backups to early areas in the game.

Wait what?

Then what the hell is the point of 4 save slots?

R0nn

Just wanted to tune in here to say how awesome this game is. I love how this game basically came out of nowhere and is as good as it is. The overall presentation is absolutely top notch, with wonderful voice work, a great musical score, very cool looking scenes, and environmental design that mostly reminds me of Bioshock, surprisingly enough.

The developer did a great job in terms of pacing. You never get bored and there's always something new and interesting around the corner. Nothing drags on for too long, it's all juuust right. Combat feels great and gets better as you go along, the sneaking portions get more interesting the further you get into the game, boss fights are really diverse, and all the riddler collectibles and challenges are surprisingly engaging.

There's still lots of promising games on the horizon for this year, but this game is already a GOTY contender for me. I can't think of a better way to start the fall season, honestly.

V_Arnold

So far, this game is right in line with Street Fighter IV as my candidate of "game of the year".
There were places when I was straight amazed how awesome and fluid the gameplay is (not just in the fight scenes, but at the ancient "tunnels and turrets" place where you could not grapple so you have to climb and run and jump to the top), and now, mainly Challenge mode is where I spend my time after beating it on normal.

R0nn

Also, something I was really impressed by further on in the game with regards to the gargoyle rooms was
how they start rigging the gargoyles with explosives, thereby forcing you to develop a completely different strategy and approach.
It's one of those things that really show how incredibly well designed this game is.

MirageDwarf said:
I just beat
Bane
. When am I going to get Batclaw and Cryptography sequencer? I see many Riddler locations which I can't access without these.
Just keep going through with the game. You get them through story progression. You'll actually be getting the Batclaw very soon.

I started with challenge mode yesterday and finally discovered the bliss that the freeflow combo system without button mashing actually is :lol

Nose Master

Haven't played a game this polished in a while. Seems like the creators had a fucking blast making it :D.

PS:
The fucking batjet flies through a wall just to drop off a gun? Really?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Nose Master said:
Haven't played a game this polished in a while. Seems like the creators had a fucking blast making it :D.

PS:
The fucking batjet flies through a wall just to drop off a gun? Really?

Those dirty rich people do crazy things

Sean

Banned
Wooo, just did all 240 riddles.

I didn't unlock the achievement "World's Greatest Detective - Solve Arkham's biggest mystery" though. I figured that would be part of it… Anyone know how to get it?

Papercuts

Sean said:

I didn't unlock the achievement "World's Greatest Detective - Solve Arkham's biggest mystery" though. I figured that would be part of it… Anyone know how to get it?

You need to figure out the spirit of arkham's identity.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sean said:

Penitentiary - Scan the floor in the room Warden was imprisoned.

Top Bottom