• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

mattso

Papercuts said:
WTF? :lol

That isn't a typo either, what in the flying fuck. The top guy has 25065196, the guy in second has 90665. Wow.
Yeah I can't imagine it. I feel like with some practice I can bring my score up from 65k to 75-80k but hot damn.

As for
croc's lair. I thought it was nice and tense walking slow with my batarang out and ready but by the 3rd or 4th I had it down that it just felt routine. I think it would have been better if they just varied a bit more what you had to do besides chuck the batarangs and occasionally run.

mattso said:
Yeah I can't imagine it. I feel like with some practice I can bring my score up from 65k to 75-80k but hot damn.

As for
croc's lair. I thought it was nice and tense walking slow with my batarang out and ready but by the 3rd or 4th I had it down that it just felt routine. I think it would have been better if they just varied a bit more what you had to do besides chuck the batarangs and occasionally run.

Well another thing too is you can crouch and move full speed without giving away your location. I think alot of people are just walking slowing, which would make that section take WAYYYY longer.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The thing with Batman and his villians, alot of them are "relatively" normal. They just have guns/knives/umbrellas ( :p )

Ra's, you could have a sword fighting mini-game (going off their history).

Clayface would be an interesting Boss, as well as a mini game of trying to find him in a crowd.

Mr. Freeze would be an ok boss, with dodging Ice attacks, and changing environments.

Mad Hatter can only be interesting in a Scarecrow-type setting. Without his mind control...he's a 4'11" little pipsqueek.

For most, the chase to capture them is what it's all about. Once you get to them, they don't pose a threat to the Batman. But Batman AA did well with this. The villians who posed a physical threat, were physical fights.
Joker would have been the same if you had gotten to him before he changed himself into SuperJoker
The one's that didn't pose a threat, well, the obvious happens :p

Yackie

I finally got around to picking up this game over the weekend and played it almost all day yesterday. I tried to get in on the Best Buy price matching deal, but my local store was sold out of the game (and I was too lazy to drive to the next closest best buy) so I ended up getting it for full price at Gamestop. So far its been well worth the purchase!

Right now I'm at the
botanical gardens
part. So far the game has mostly succeeded in staying fresh. The only thing is
the two scarecrow parts that I've played through so far. I think they could have tried a little harder to make each experience more unique than the same "keep away from the Scarecrow's light" thing. Oh well. I still like the whole hallucination things before hand though.

So I'm not too familiar with all of the Batman comic lore. I was a huge fan of the animated series and have seen all the movies but I have one question:
There's a part in the game when the Joker is talking to Batman over the intercom, and says something to the effect of "You're in need of new sidekick" or something like that. Is this alluding to Robin's death? He died at some point, right?
I guess I'm just not sure where in the Batman story timeline this game takes place.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Yackie said:
There's a part in the game when the Joker is talking to Batman over the intercom, and says something to the effect of "You're in need of new sidekick" or something like that. Is this alluding to Robin's death? He died at some point, right?
I guess I'm just not sure where in the Batman story timeline this game takes place.

I think Robin went off to become Nightwing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lonestar said:
Mr. Freeze would be an ok boss, with dodging Ice attacks, and changing environments.

Don't forget that he'll kick some...
ICE

;) (Corny Puns confirmed for Batman sequel)

Vilix said:
I think Robin went off to become Nightwing.

Depending on what time in the Batman timeline Arkham Asylum takes place, there's a different Robin. The original Robin, Dick Grayson went on to become Nightwing. After a period without a Robin, Batman took in Jason Todd, who was eventually beaten to death by the Joker with a crowbar. And finally, Tim Drake became Robin and was Bruce Wayne's last Robin before the Batman RIP and Final Crisis arc.

I've asked this like 5 times but...Is the Scarecrow Challenge Map code universal? If so, could someone PM it to me please? That'd be great. Thanks!

ToyMachine228 said:
Depending on what time in the Batman timeline Arkham Asylum takes place, there's a different Robin. The original Robin, Dick Grayson went on to become Nightwing. After a period without a Robin, Batman took in Jason Todd, who was eventually beaten to death by the Joker with a crowbar. And finally, Tim Drake became Robin and was Bruce Wayne's last Robin before the Batman RIP and Final Crisis arc.

I've asked this like 5 times but...Is the Scarecrow Challenge Map code universal? If so, could someone PM it to me please? That'd be great. Thanks!
No the code is not universal.

As far as Robin, by putting together mentions in the game of things like
Thomas Elliot/Hush
means that it takes place post Hush and pre RIP

EzLink

Banned
FUCK FUCK FUCK THE FREEFLOW CHALLENGE ROOMS

Goddam this is bullshit

I can only get around 2200 on Shock and Awe, and on Shock and Awe extreme I got all the way up to 2700 (and was in the midst of a huge combo, so I easily would have broken 3k) but the floor fucking turned on and fried my ass

Christ this is frusterating

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MiamiWesker said:
OMG I am such an idiot, it never occured to me to use the line shot to get across the room quickly. Maybe with something that fast it may work. As for breaking the glass, after you explode the three bombs someone should notice the body in the room with the glass, just do it on him.

Haha, the line shot seems like the key for a lot of these, the guards don't really notice you even if you whizz right by them. The biggest problem I have with that is the guards tend to notice the body in the room with the glass last, which can take awhile. I guess I could try and do the glide kick near the room and try to set it up, but I dunno. Even messing with it I got the 3 walls to hit pretty fast, but the people at the top completed the entire thing in a similar time, so there's still some other way that has to be faster.

Dever

Banned
I'm looking for
Dr. Young in the mansion and can't figure out what to do. I just saved the two guys in the library by dropping the chandelier through the floor, and now I can't find anything but locked doors. :/
Any tips?

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Picked this up with the Best Buy buy 1 get 1 half-off. Picked it up in store today. Dying to be able to leave work and start beating up thugs.

Get ready to be amazed. Best game so far out of 2009 next to Shadow Complex.

Baker

Banned
Dever said:
I'm looking for
Dr. Young in the mansion and can't figure out what to do. I just saved the two guys in the library by dropping the chandelier through the floor, and now I can't find anything but locked doors. :/
Any tips?
Go back where you came from and look for some new doors
down on the right once you run into 2 newly spawned enemies.
I got lost there too for some reason.

TheSeks

EzLink said:

Goddam this is bullshit

I'm trying to get the 40x combo and freeflow perfection (after 40x) and the highest I've gotten is 32-33x before being hit. It's such bullshit. :( I can't seem to get the timing to have CRITICAL KNEE CRITICAL FIST TO FACE often enough, I've pulled off 3 crits that x2 the combo by tapping square/x... square/x... square/x, but I can't get the timing down and I can't seem to incorporate counters into having x2, if I could the combo mete for 40 would go by SOOO much faster (minus dodging over enemies, being near an enemy and having the stick in that enemies direction only for Batman to wiff air in the area he landed from the dodge in and be hit by that enemy. :mad:).

Red

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well another thing too is you can crouch and move full speed without giving away your location. I think alot of people are just walking slowing, which would make that section take WAYYYY longer.
Yeah, that section went a lot faster when I figured that out.

Loved it though, was one of my favorite parts.
EzLink said:

Goddam this is bullshit

I can only get around 2200 on Shock and Awe, and on Shock and Awe extreme I got all the way up to 2700 (and was in the midst of a huge combo, so I easily would have broken 3k) but the floor fucking turned on and fried my ass

Christ this is frusterating
Yeah, they're probably the worst thing ever. I was so relieved when I got my full 1000/1000.

Red

Danneee said:
Is it just me or is
the fight with 20 or so goons just before the Jokers party
insanely hard?
Spray foam before you attack them. It's a hallway so the camera sort of freaks out, but if you spray foam all the way down the hall you'll have a good chance to take out 2 or 3 before they can even get to you.

kaskade

Crunched said:
Spray foam before you attack them. It's a hallway so the camera sort of freaks out, but if you spray foam all the way down the hall you'll have a good chance to take out 2 or 3 before they can even get to you.
I've also heard of people using the line launcher to take out a whole line. Maybe using spray, then use the launcher, then detonate. That should do some nice work.

Red

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I've also heard of people using the line launcher to take out a whole line. Maybe using spray, then use the launcher, then detonate. That should do some nice work.
Hadn't even thought of that, but imagining it is hilarious :lol

TheSeks

ThePeacemaker02 said:

It'll knock them down, but not out. I've done the foam, didn't know about the launcher (but I have kicked people out of my way in the garden with the launcher before).

Danneee

Crunched said:

But doesnt the foam just temporarily incapacitate them? I dont think i have the time to do more than one gound takedown before being jumped by the rest :(

I'll try experimenting with all the tools though, don't know why I didn't think of that.

Papercuts

Danneee said:
But doesnt the foam just temporarily incapacitate them? I dont think i have the time to do more than one gound takedown before being jumped by the rest :(

I'll try experimenting with all the tools though, don't know why I didn't think of that.

If you space the foam and stun everyone, you can take 2-3 of them out. Then try using the line launcher to knock them down again, takedown, repeat, ???, profit.

TheSeks

Danneee said:

No, I've done it with the foam, again. It's easy.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Alright, you put the foam down the middle of the hallway. Go back to the begin. Detonate while holding RT/R2, BOOM!EVERYONE is knocked down for couple of seconds. Since you have R2/RT held down, Triangle/Y to ground-takedown a dude (you'll magically jump over to the nearest), you can do at least 2-3 before everyone is totally up and you can start a ground-takedown as they're getting up (which knocks them back on their ass and then KOs), it's a hard room since you have 16 enemies to fight but it's doable after you adjust. Just get into the habit of X/A rolling over enemies smacking them and if you have a lone enemy that isn't going to have someone hit you ground-takedown to remove them from the fight.

Started playing through this last night. Made it up to the
Scarecrow intro
before I called it quits. Can't wait to start back up tonight. I love the combat and pretty much everything else so far. Only minor complaint I have is that pulling grates off of air ducts got old pretty quick lol.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've started my second playthrough, on hard. I've made it up until the
Bane
fight, it's the first part that I've had trouble with. Once the groups of grunts come out I have trouble avoiding them and trying to defeat
Bane
at the same time. Aside from that, it's been great. On my first playthrough I struggled on the first few predator sequences, I died several times. Now I AM the Batman, I haven't alerted a single guard on any of them and feel like a total badass doing it. Instead of trying to avoid death, like before, I try to find the most badass and creative ways to take down thugs. I feared them at first, now they fear me. Bitches.

The first
Scarecrow encounter
is still freaky, I was really stoned and the
whispering voices saying "GET OUT!"
were totally harshing my vibes.

MiamiWesker said:
Well yeah I am nearly tops in all of them, but I need to keep some secrets. :p

What do you want to know?

Just hit 38.49 with you tactics, felt incredible. I'm now 30th in the leaderboards. Could probably shave it down a tad if my execution was a little cleaner.

I'm taking it one by one, so on to Survival Tactics.

I wonder how the hell the top guy got 28 flat on Silent Knight, incredible. A whole 10 seconds faster than me.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I did the launcher part. Just stood at the end of one of the 2 lines, shot the launcher, and played kickball. And it was Good.

Zeliard

The stealth combat in this game gets so much exponentially better as you unlock more gadgets and upgrades that I really wish there was a new game +.

Shoulda Dead Spaced it.

traveler

Not Wario
So, holy crap, this game came out of nowhere. I had completely written it off as just a crappy licensed game ever since its unveiling, but I saw the praise Friday and did a double take. Borrowed the game from a friend Saturday to try it out and just finished it after two solid days of playing today.

The verdict? Absolutely amazing- and I say this as someone who has only experienced Batman through the movies. (never touched a single comic book or seen the animated series) Rocksteady has taken the perfect parts- in terms of what would contribute best to a "Batman simulator"- of other games and genres to craft a combination that feels fresh despite all the borrowing and plays exactly like what I would want a Batman game to play like. You've got unique boss "experiences" that would make Kojima proud, enough gadgets and well designed enviroments to use them in to make the SC fan in me happy, a melee combat system thats insanely rewarding and flashy to pull off moves with, a perfect execution of the Metroidvania style progression/backtracking system, (complete with a nice spin on MP's visors) and it's all tied up in a package with great production values and excellent pacing.

I borrowed it to try it and ended up finishing, but I'll pick this up as soon as it hits PC anyway. The devs did too great a job for me not to want to support them, especially given how easy it would have been to churn out another mediocre licensed game. This is the best licensed game I've ever played and easily a contender for best game of the year. Just wow.

Ri'Orius

Snuggler said:
I've started my second playthrough, on hard. I've made it up until the
Bane
fight, it's the first part that I've had trouble with. Once the groups of grunts come out I have trouble avoiding them and trying to defeat
Bane
at the same time.

Yeah, that boss gave me a lot of trouble on Hard mode, too. One fun trick that works against a lot of bosses is to use
the explosive gel. Lay it down in the first phase of the boss, then trigger it when phase three shows up to get some mooks on the floor real quick. Also feels very Batman to calmly spray some stuff on the floor in the middle of a fight, then five minutes later blow it all up.

Just make sure not to get the
Proximity Auto-detonation upgrade. Haven't gotten it myself 'cause it sounds like it'll screw this tactic into the tank (unless it can be disabled, which I doubt)...

Xater

Ok guys this one Riddler trophy is driving me insane:

In the very north of the caves is one hidden, but I can't get to it because the is one of those forcefield doors. It also doesn't look like I can deactivate the door, so I have no clue how to get back there. Just to make even more clear what room I am talking about, it's the one where you though all those dudes that came out of the elevators. It started by a titan ripping through a big door.

Papercuts

Xater said:

In the very north of the caves is one hidden, but I can't get to it because the is one of those forcefield doors. It also doesn't look like I can deactivate the door, so I have no clue how to get back there. Just to make even more clear what room I am talking about, it's the one where you though all those dudes that came out of the elevators. It started by a titan ripping through a big door.

IIRC you can deactivate the door in the room before it. Look in detective mode and follow the wires.

Dave1988

Zeliard said:
The stealth combat in this game gets so much exponentially better as you unlock more gadgets and upgrades that I really wish there was a new game +.

Shoulda Dead Spaced it.

So true. Hurts even more that you can't even replay the last boss to see the ending.

I wonder how hard would it be to patch in a NG+ feature.

Xater said:

Umm... use the decrypter or whatever the weapons is called to open the electrified doors. You can use the decrypter even if the power box in on the other end.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ri'Orius said:
the explosive gel. Lay it down in the first phase of the boss, then trigger it when phase three shows up to get some mooks on the floor real quick. Also feels very Batman to calmly spray some stuff on the floor in the middle of a fight, then five minutes later blow it all up.

Good advice, thanks. I'll most def try that.

I'm looking forward to getting additional content for this game, Snuggler need more. What I would like to see (realistically) is a Joker mini Campaign. He's already playable, so they could make a short campaign were you get to control him during the events of the Arkham takeover. I'd buy that for a dollar. Plus, non-PS3 peeps could get a chance to play as him.

Montresor

Snuggler said:
Good advice, thanks. I'll most def try that.

I'm looking forward to getting additional content for this game, Snuggler need more. What I would like to see (realistically) is a Joker mini Campaign. He's already playable, so they could make a short campaign were you get to control him during the events of the Arkham takeover. I'd buy that for a dollar. Plus, non-PS3 peeps could get a chance to play as him.

THIS. I actually have a PS3 but I'm so obsessed with having all my progress consolidated on just my xbl gamertag that I bought the game on 360 instead. Besides, I think exclusive DLC is just stupid. Ditto with the GTA dlc. Pffttt....

Dever

Banned
Baker said:
Go back where you came from and look for some new doors
down on the right once you run into 2 newly spawned enemies.
I got lost there too for some reason.

I think I ran into the enemies you're talking about before I went into the library. You're talking about the main hall right? The door inside the cage that leads to the east wing is still blocked by two electrical gates and I can't see any others.

Xater

Papercuts said:
IIRC you can deactivate the door in the room before it. Look in detective mode and follow the wires.

Looking again for it I found it. I can't beieve I overookd it in detective mode so many times...

Papercuts

Dever said:
I think I ran into the enemies you're talking about before I went into the library. You're talking about the main hall right? The door inside the cage that leads to the east wing is still blocked by two electrical gates and I can't see any others.

There's a door on the other side of the room, look at the map. I missed it too somehow.

Shake Appeal said:
This is where I got my 40 combo.

On Hard.

It was hell.
Same, my max is about 44 in one of the challenge rooms now - I hate forgetting that a guy is a shock or knife guy and trying to hit him normally so much.

Also, some of these times are crazy for the challenge rooms, I'm spending 6 odd minutes setting things up that people are doing in 30 seconds.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Worth it just for Joker's walking animation. :lol

Well that, and being able to shoot people in the face is cool, especially after having to put up with Bat's petty morality for the entire game. In the challenges, I always save my one shot just for Mr. Gordon.

mjc

I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to beat just one little section of the game. (And I still couldn't do it. I'm on hard mode btw)

I'm at the part with the lone Titan-mutated Joker goon and three waves of goons try to fight you in that small enclosed room with the dual elevator shafts.
Any tips?

8bit

Knows the Score
A question about what I assume is the final fight :
I've just beat two venom fueled goons and friends in front of Joker's throne, intercepted the bullet intended for Gordon, and then Joker shoots himself in the throat and dies citing 'nothing to live for' ending the game? Did I miss something or is this like the Scarecrow/Fear effect where it says push the middle stick to avoid Joker's bullet?

mjc said:
I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to beat just one little section of the game. (And I still couldn't do it. I'm on hard mode btw)

I'm at the part with the lone Titan-mutated Joker goon and three waves of goons try to fight you in that small enclosed room with the dual elevator shafts.
Any tips?
Batarang them in the face when they charge you. The rest is pretty straightforward.

mjc said:

Any tips?
Lots of evade, make the titan goon run into the security doors to stun him and use him to knock down the guys coming from the lifts, making him run into goons helps as well, I did this without batarangs as well to get the Mano a Mano achievement, that sure made it difficult :lol - was on Hard as well

Papercuts said:
Haha, the line shot seems like the key for a lot of these, the guards don't really notice you even if you whizz right by them. The biggest problem I have with that is the guards tend to notice the body in the room with the glass last, which can take awhile. I guess I could try and do the glide kick near the room and try to set it up, but I dunno. Even messing with it I got the 3 walls to hit pretty fast, but the people at the top completed the entire thing in a similar time, so there's still some other way that has to be faster.

I tried a new method and got it down to about a minute, 11th place, and I felt like it all went as good as it could. I still dont know what the first place dude did. I first put the gel on the floor/roof one across the room, then got my zip line ready and waited for the guy across the hall to begin to cross the window and zipped into him to get that out of the way. I hoped out of the broken window, hugged the wall toward the back where I could get a good view of that room that I need a guy to be in and threw a sonic batarang in there. Zip up to the roof and gel that, zip across to the other wall and gel that. I threw a few batarangs in front of the wall to hopefully get some dudes attention, I had to sit there and wait for a guard to get close to that wall, everyone else should be in place. Once I blew them up I had one more guy and all I did was zip up to the top of the wall and glide kick him down. Still took a damn minute.

The other extreme ones are easier, I got 2nd place on Shock and Awe exteme and 6th in the last one. Finished getting 100%. Now all I need is to beat hard mode and I get platinum.

Top Bottom