• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
nourali2 said:
An important question I have: Do you only have to beat the challenges (aka either with zero, 1, 2, or 3 batarangs / medals) to get the 100% achievement?

If so, awesome.

You need 3 batarangs on every challenge for 100%.

Darunia said:
I've got 3* on all Predator challenges except Silent Knight extreme. There's one medal where you have to plant 3 explosives on 3 walls AND hit 3 guys at the same time. I haven't figured out how to do that. Especially since you can't really control your explosives once you have the proximity upgrade.

If you want to know what I did:

1. Turn around at the start and open the vent, go around and gel the wall up.
2. Go back out of the vent and run forward a bit, go right, and up the ladder.
3. Grapple up on the roof of that one room, gel it.
4. Zipline across to the roofless room the one guard always stands by, drop down and gel it.
5. Grapple on top of the wall you gelled, zipline across to the other side of the room(guards won't see)
6. Throw a sonic batarang down where the first wall you gelled is.
7. Detonate when a guy is there, the other two walls SHOULD have people by them, but the timing is tight, especially for the one the roof falls on.

Just keep trying that. There are faster ways but this was the most reliable for me after you get the timing down. Spoiled in case you want to keep trying stuff yourself.

nourali2 said:
An important question I have: Do you only have to beat the challenges (aka either with zero, 1, 2, or 3 batarangs / medals) to get the 100% achievement?

If so, awesome.

Yes, you need to get the max (3 batarang rating) for each of the 16 challenges (8 combat, and 8 predator). I think I'm right where you are; 100% story and I've beaten a couple of both the combat and predator challenges with max rating. The combat ones are a little tough, but I think you can cheese them pretty easy if you just punch, evade, punch, etc.

Montresor

Thanks to Papercuts and Valkyr for the answer.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yes, you need to get the max (3 batarang rating) for each of the 16 challenges (8 combat, and 8 predator). I think I'm right where you are; 100% story and I've beaten a couple of both the combat and predator challenges with max rating. The combat ones are a little tough, but I think you can cheese them pretty easy if you just punch, evade, punch, etc.

Is that really enough? I try to throw in cape stuns, jump evades, and throws to increase my combo variety...

I hate it when some of them grab a gun to shoot and you and/or a box to throw at you. Fuck 'em.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm so sick of trying to get 40 combo and only getting up to 32-33. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

If there was a DLC with a room full of enemies that didn't fight back and just let you punch them to death so you could get this bullshit (and the perfection) done, I'd pay $5 for it. I hate these two. :lol

nourali2 said:
Thanks to Papercuts and Valkyr for the answer.

Is that really enough? I try to throw in cape stuns, jump evades, and throws to increase my combo variety...

I hate it when some of them grab a gun to shoot and you and/or a box to throw at you. Fuck 'em.
Throw the triple batarang in their direction if you see them going after them. If that fails then go for the triple grapple. Should buy you some time to take out an enemy or two in the meantime, while increasing your combo count.

Papercuts

nourali2 said:

Honestly, pure combos give way more points in the long run as opposed to being varied. I got like 32K on the last round of one of the extreme levels just doing that, you can't just mash it, but it's a lot easier. Just aim for big combos, roll right after you connect a hit, when the numbers start thinning roll backwards away from the crowd and do a batclaw grapple, punch one of them, then go for ground takedowns. If you have a combo around 40 and land a ground takedown, that's 4K right there. Now imagine a flawless round on the later extreme stages with a combo around 50-60, then stringing 2-3 ground takedowns together. Massive points.

This is also one of the reasons why I think Shock and Awe is the most annoying map, you're timed so you can't really do that, but you also need to be quick and not make many mistakes. You still need to have a general sense of the battle flow, like being able to work around and knock down people grabbing stuff to throw, stopping them from opening the gun cabinets, using takedowns on the knife guys, etc.

RavenFox

Banned
Finished yesterday one of the most epic games I've ever played. Thank You Rocksteady and Eidos...thank you. This game will be handed down to the children[when I have some] and the grandchildren. No generation should miss out on this. It's like finding a Cartier on the Titanic and you reach out and grab it with the robot claws, then bring it closer to the bubble of the submersible. You look over to guy in that sweaty bubble next to you and say I've just found some Epic shit. THIS GAME IS EPIC

Red

Papercuts said:
Honestly, pure combos give way more points in the long run as opposed to being varied. I got like 32K on the last round of one of the extreme levels just doing that, you can't just mash it, but it's a lot easier. Just aim for big combos, roll right after you connect a hit, when the numbers start thinning roll backwards away from the crowd and do a batclaw grapple, punch one of them, then go for ground takedowns. If you have a combo around 40 and land a ground takedown, that's 4K right there. Now imagine a flawless round on the later extreme stages with a combo around 50-60, then stringing 2-3 ground takedowns together. Massive points.

This is also one of the reasons why I think Shock and Awe is the most annoying map, you're timed so you can't really do that, but you also need to be quick and not make many mistakes. You still need to have a general sense of the battle flow, like being able to work around and knock down people grabbing stuff to throw, stopping them from opening the gun cabinets, using takedowns on the knife guys, etc.
I dunno, I agree with the first part 100%, but I thought rumble in the jungle extreme was far more difficult than shock and awe. Instant takedowns took most enemies out pretty quickly, but in rumble in the jungle you need to worry about the damn titans ruining your combos.
RavenFox said:
Finished yesterday one of the most epic games I've ever played. Thank You Rocksteady and Eidos...thank you. This game will be handed down to the children[when I have some] and the grandchildren. No generation should miss out on this. It's like finding a Cartier on the Titanic and you reach out and grab it with the robot claws, then bring it closer to the bubble of the submersible. You look over to guy in that sweaty bubble next to you and say I've just found some Epic shit. THIS GAME IS EPIC
I think this is exactly what everyone thinks when they see the credits roll.

mattso

TheSeks said:
I'm so sick of trying to get 40 combo and only getting up to 32-33. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

If there was a DLC with a room full of enemies that didn't fight back and just let you punch them to death so you could get this bullshit (and the perfection) done, I'd pay $5 for it. I hate these two. :lol
I have no problem getting 40+ combos. I'm playing hard now and I got 46 hit combos both at the part by the
batmobile and the group in front of the medical facility
. With the 2x multiplier and some practice you should get it down.

Downhome

Anyone else get to the
door you go through to fight Joker at the very end of the game
and are really putting off going through with it? I've just started running around looking for secrets and riddles and stuff. Sure, I could still do that after I beat the game, but I just don't want it to be officially over just yet. :lol

Guzim said:
Walk around Gotham.

I hate to say it because I am a little burnt out on open world games but I would love an open world batman game in Gotham with the same mechanics and atmosphere of this game. I think it would be frickin awesome. I can think of so many side quests to put in the game its not even funny

Papercuts

Crunched said:
I dunno, I agree with the first part 100%, but I thought rumble in the jungle extreme was far more difficult than shock and awe. Instant takedowns took most enemies out pretty quickly, but in rumble in the jungle you need to worry about the damn titans ruining your combos.

With Shock and Awe I just struggled on finishing it. The last round, even if I always used takedowns on the knife guys right away, would always run out of time with a few guys left. When I beat it I didn't even do anything differently, and it still was something I barely pulled off. The score was never an issue for me here, though.

With rumble in the jungle, it can definitely be hard since the same strategy won't work on titan rounds, but there's still 2 rounds it'll work(and they have a lot of enemies for huge points). There's also a good pattern you can get into with titans, like building a combo before you get on its back, using it to down the other titan(last round anyway), then getting off its back into a hit or two on enemies while making your way to the downed titan, etc. If you can actually maintain a combo there then down a titan, it's just like a ground takedown(IIRC anyway, I think it's 100x __).

I restarted on the first round in rumble in the jungle a TON until I nailed it, but with shock and awe I had to redo the entire stage a ton of times.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Downhome said:
Anyone else get to the
door you go through to fight Joker at the very end of the game
and are really putting off going through with it? I've just started running around looking for secrets and riddles and stuff. Sure, I could still do that after I beat the game, but I just don't want it to be officially over just yet. :lol

I refuse to advance the story if there's riddles to be found and I don't need a particular gadget to get them. I'm a little past Croc and I'm at 209/240 riddles found. If it wasn't for most paths being blocked due to....certain conditions, I'd be done.

Hyunkel6

Bpatrol said:
40 hit combo is killing me... I got so close, and now I keep fucking up on counters.

Try Rumble in the Jungle - Round 3. I got the achievement there without even looking for it. All I did was using Y+B to takedown the guys with the stun rods and knives whenever possible while keeping my combos, and before I knew it, the achievement popped up.

Ugh, on my second attempt at Shock and Awe I had 27k on the final round and it looked like I was gonna cruise to a win until time ran out :/

Successive attempts have not been so fruitful.

The easiest way I found to get a 40x combo is in rumble in the jungle extreme. The two titan room, the titans are combo machines. Just punch and jump over, punch and jump, punch and jump. Eventually they will fall and you can ride them, during this time your combo never stops, just punch everyone in the room, especially the other titan. If you do it right by the time you stop riding that titan you can ride on the other one. Keep doing this until both titans are dead, then sweep up.

Yeah, I don't think I'll grind it out for the challenge room trophies. I don't want to sour the experience of the game since it looks like some of these guys are gonna be really tough.

I want the next Batman game to be in a district of Gotham about as big as two areas from inFamous, with HUGE Gothic buildings and interiors. And I want tons more stealth and non-violent options (bolo-gun, smoke pellets, shit like that). And I want Two-Face. And I want to go to Wayne Manor and the real Batcave. And I want a scene like the one in Batman 1989 where you ascend a towering, crumbling cathedral. And I want an unlockable blue-and-grey costume. And I want it to take place in Winter.

finally received my copy. I'm only up to the beginning of the
medical facility
and I've put aside the main game to play the challenge mode with both joker and batman. Only one challenge unlocked so far and I've been having a great time with it.

Need to get back to the main game to unlock more.

revolverjgw said:
I want the next Batman game to be in a district of Gotham about as big as two areas from inFamous, with HUGE Gothic buildings and interiors. And I want tons more stealth and non-violent options (bolo-gun, smoke pellets, shit like that). And I want Two-Face. And I want to go to Wayne Manor and the real Batcave. And I want a scene like the one in Batman 1989 where you ascend a towering, crumbling cathedral. And I want an unlockable blue-and-grey costume. And I want it to take place in Winter.

*writing down on peice of paper*
....big city, more stealth, twoface, batcave, winter. Got it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
mattso said:
I have no problem getting 40+ combos. I'm playing hard now and I got 46 hit combos both at the part by the
batmobile and the group in front of the medical facility
. With the 2x multiplier and some practice you should get it down.

Yeah, I've seen the Youtubes for that one. Punch/roll/Punch/roll. But again, Batman's crazy ass whiffs a throw after rolling and trying to tell him to punch a dude that's near him and then he gets punched (and the whiff breaks the combo). That's the goddamn frustrating part. I know I can get the combo easy, it's just little things like the timer (seriously, why is it so short? It should be "on hit or messed up move" at least that would let you get some breathing space to continue your combo)/being hit/whiffing a move that throw my combo meter into the shitter and pisses me off. :|

I've been trying it on Sewer Bat Extreme. Tomorrow I guess I'll try Rumble in the Jungle Extreme, like MiamiWesker stated and see if the titans will help me at least get above 32-33. :lol

yamo

revolverjgw said:

Needs the Penguin and Mr Freeze also if taking place during the winter! Don't forget co-op story mode with Robin aswell :)

Papercuts

TheSeks said:
I've been trying it on Sewer Bat Extreme. Tomorrow I guess I'll try Rumble in the Jungle Extreme, like MiamiWesker stated and see if the titans will help me at least get above 32-33. :lol

I'd probably try intensive treatment extreme or something, sewer bat gets a lot of people trying to throw crap at you/get guns, so it'll be harder. And while the titan thing works, it's probably not the easiest way. The move whiffs can get annoying(especially when it screws up a good run :'(), it seems better to try and get far away so he does lunging attacks. Good luck either way. :p

Alternate

Neo Member
Concept17 said:
Just picked this up.

What do I have in store for me as far as the stealth goes?

Some of the best stealth gameplay I have ever experienced. For hardcore stealthers, avoid using the vantage system, but otherwise the
gargoyles
let everyone sneak about and have fun. And timing/waiting for a bad guy to separate from the pack and pounce on him, SO GOOD, SO TENSE. There's so many ways to solve a room, I could play this game for days just messing with the different options.

I love this game. I had so many misgivings about getting it because of the history of licensed games, but this game uses the license so well its unbelievable. This is a GAF game for sure, it made me BELIEVE.

Papercuts

Was rocksteady working on the next hitman just a rumor? I think it'd be interesting, the game is a completely different type of stealth but I'd love to see their take on it.

GriffD17

Papercuts said:
Was rocksteady working on the next hitman just a rumor? I think it'd be interesting, the game is a completely different type of stealth but I'd love to see their take on it.

That would be great. Someone confirm this man's rumors!

Footos22

Got 70465 on rumble in the jungle extreme last night. *HIGH FIVE*
54th in the leaderboards! :D probably lower by now though! First time as well.

Got 3 Batarangs on all the combat challenges. Think i have got a couple of predators to do and still gotta get the three for three done.

Only got it Friday night and ive done about 96%

Awesome game so damn addicting!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Papercuts said:
You need 3 batarangs on every challenge for 100%.
If you want to know what I did:

1. Turn around at the start and open the vent, go around and gel the wall up.
2. Go back out of the vent and run forward a bit, go right, and up the ladder.
3. Grapple up on the roof of that one room, gel it.
4. Zipline across to the roofless room the one guard always stands by, drop down and gel it.
5. Grapple on top of the wall you gelled, zipline across to the other side of the room(guards won't see)
6. Throw a sonic batarang down where the first wall you gelled is.
7. Detonate when a guy is there, the other two walls SHOULD have people by them, but the timing is tight, especially for the one the roof falls on.

Just keep trying that. There are faster ways but this was the most reliable for me after you get the timing down. Spoiled in case you want to keep trying stuff yourself.

Yeah I'm doing it this way, thanks.

Now for something completely different. I've been staring at this achievement pic for minutes:

205792.jpg

Yet I don't see what the hell is supposed to be pictured here?

Montresor

Belated thanks to Papercuts and Revolutionary for the replies. Throwing a quick batarang helps a lot. I assume quick-tapping LT gives you a triple batarang if you're fully upgraded. Also, just going for pure combos helps immensely, but god damn if you break the combo even once your score potential drops like a rock.

I think Shock and Awe extreme will be the challenge that clinches my 1000/1000 gamerscore, as that looks like it'll absolutely be the most annoying / hardest thing to do in the game. I mean, predator challenges are no joke, but you can take your sweet ass time. With Shock and Awe extreme I believe they ask a bit too much fo you. =p

edit:

Nevermind, I misunderstood you Darunia.

I think those are boxer shorts. That'd fit since it's a 40-hit combo achievement.

Gribbix

Darunia said:
Now for something completely different. I've been staring at this achievement pic for minutes:

205792.jpg

Yet I don't see what the hell is supposed to be pictured here?

It's a black belt in uninterrupted ass-kicking.

Montresor

Gribbix said:
It's a black belt in uninterrupted ass-kicking.

Fudge, yep, I'm wrong, those definitely aren't boxer shorts. Now that I look closely it's definitely some karate master wearing a black belt.

Darunia said:
No... What I want to know is what is on that pic :p What's drawn there

FUUUUUU I was hoping you didn't notice what I wrote. That was a bit silly of me to assume you didn't know what the achievement meant.

Mdk7

What an amazing kick ass game!!
Yesterday i started it and turned the console off after more than 8 hours... i couldn't just stop playing it, it's seriously that good.
I'm in love!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think one of my favorite takedowns in the game is when you have to
pull 3 guys off the same walkway with the ultra claw in one of the challenge maps. Sonic batarang => goon meeting > goodbye :lol

So completely effortless and awesome. Half the room is cleared in one go.

KAOz

Short bus special
Heh, took me to complete the game and constantly play the Challenge Rooms for the combat-aspect to 100% click for me. :lol :lol

Still having trouble getting three medals in all the Combat Rooms though. I've got all for the Predator ones, but the Combat feel half impossible right now. Also, can't get the 40+ combos going, and I haven't been able to execute the All Moves Combo yet. Always something that fucks up.
Like missing a encounter, or accidently punching into thin air. =/ Damnit.

EekTheKat

I think the PS3 scoreboard is badly glitched. I have a fairly average 52k on Shock and Awe on normal and the scoreboard sorting has me ahead of some other people. with scores way higher than mine.

It might just be a display glitch though, and the data is fine on the server side.

LiK

Rocksteady favorited one of my tweets about their game. SWEET~ ;D

oh yea, love this game a lot. so good...

LiK

dark10x said:
Nah, it's complete. Leave it alone. They should put that effort into a new game.

that's right, sequel please. if they release any DLC, i don't mind new costumes and skins for the villains. and more challenge maps.

Oh hey guyz

Quick q, I got lost and entered the Batcave again, and saw a wall which was destroyable, and next to it what I thought is the Batplane..is this usable :(

Yes I am willing to spoil it for myself

Costanza

Banned
Finished.

I'm really looking forward to Uncharted 2, AC2, MW2, Halo ODST and Ratchet and Clank this fall but I just cannot see any of those games even approaching how unbelievably awesome Arkham Asylum was.

Is it one of my favorite games of all time? HELL FUCKING YES.

Whatever Rocksteady does next (hopefully a sequel on the streets of Gotham), I'm fucking there day one.

Xater

I am still amazed that Rocksteady went from this:

2ntwnk0.jpg

To Batman: Arkham Asylum. That's one hell of a progression. Believe me, I played Urban Chaos.

Top Bottom