• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Facism

sorry for what looks like a stupid question, guys.

I just got the
zipline
. How do i get to those breakable walls that are high up and destroy them?

Darkflight said:
Lots of evade, make the titan goon run into the security doors to stun him and use him to knock down the guys coming from the lifts, making him run into goons helps as well, I did this without batarangs as well to get the Mano a Mano achievement, that sure made it difficult :lol - was on Hard as well

This is exactly the part I was at last night on hard mode for a good hour and while I didn't quite complete it, I did in fact get two acheivements. Mano a mano and the 40 combo one! Thanks goodness I at least got something out of it. :lol

MMaRsu

Facism said:
sorry for what looks like a stupid question, guys.

I just got the
zipline
. How do i get to those breakable walls that are high up and destroy them?

You have to wait for a different gadget ;)

Tonza

mjc said:
I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to beat just one little section of the game. (And I still couldn't do it. I'm on hard mode btw)

I'm at the part with the lone Titan-mutated Joker goon and three waves of goons try to fight you in that small enclosed room with the dual elevator shafts.
Any tips?

Hit the Titan with batarang allways when he charges. Don't bother hitting the Titan when he is stunned though. (well in the start you can when there's no other henchmen) He will hit the normal goons and you have some time not to worry about the Titan and beat the goons.
I had to try it about 6-7 times today too but got through it in the end.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mjc said:
I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to beat just one little section of the game. (And I still couldn't do it. I'm on hard mode btw)

I'm at the part with the lone Titan-mutated Joker goon and three waves of goons try to fight you in that small enclosed room with the dual elevator shafts.
Any tips?

Fight the goons until you hear the Titan scream. This means he's gonna charge, so focus on him (goons wont attack so don't be afraid to totally ignore them) quick-throw a batrang and double jump (evade) away. Now get back to fighting the goons while keeping a safe distance from the Titan until he charges again.

Repeat until the Titan goes down on his knees then jump on him (ground takedown) and steamroll the goons until the Titan drops you off.

Repeat until win.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MiamiWesker said:
I tried a new method and got it down to about a minute, 11th place, and I felt like it all went as good as it could. I still dont know what the first place dude did. I first put the gel on the floor/roof one across the room, then got my zip line ready and waited for the guy across the hall to begin to cross the window and zipped into him to get that out of the way. I hoped out of the broken window, hugged the wall toward the back where I could get a good view of that room that I need a guy to be in and threw a sonic batarang in there. Zip up to the roof and gel that, zip across to the other wall and gel that. I threw a few batarangs in front of the wall to hopefully get some dudes attention, I had to sit there and wait for a guard to get close to that wall, everyone else should be in place. Once I blew them up I had one more guy and all I did was zip up to the top of the wall and glide kick him down. Still took a damn minute.

The other extreme ones are easier, I got 2nd place on Shock and Awe exteme and 6th in the last one. Finished getting 100%. Now all I need is to beat hard mode and I get platinum.

That will help me a ton on this, didn't think of that. I'm not really good at speedrunning any of these but for whatever reason I got interested in trying some stuff with this, I'm curious to find out how the top people still managed a faster way. At the very least it seems like those are the correct walls to gel.

kaskade

I found for either the shock or knife guy to use you takedown move, it'll keep them down for the rest of the fight. I love playing sewer bat on extreme and having batman just beat the fuck out of all those guys it's such an awesome feeling.

Woo, Predator Gold, not great times, but meh for now on that, now to master the combat challenges and get that freeflow perfection achievment, which will be tough.

Sheppard

Hello everyone, I am working on my last Achievement "Freeflow Perfection" and I was wondering if anyone has any fine tips on how to get this? Such as what level in the challenge maps do you prefer or if you like to do it in the main story line? The biggest trouble I have for this personally is the regular takedown; Which is the one where Bats walks to the guy already down on the ground and punches their little heads away. I have gotten a Variation bonus of 7 but I can't seem to get more then that. Any help would be great!

Sheppard said:
Hello everyone, I am working on my last Achievement "Freeflow Perfection" and I was wondering if anyone has any fine tips on how to get this? Such as what level in the challenge maps do you prefer or if you like to do it in the main story line? The biggest trouble I have for this personally is the regular takedown; Which is the one where Bats walks to the guy already down on the ground and punches their little heads away. I have gotten a Variation bonus of 7 but I can't seem to get more then that. Any help would be great!

There are nine moves you need to do during one combo. Punch, counter, flip over a guy, cape stun, quick batarang, quick grapple gun, the two standing takedowns and the ground takedown. You can get the grapple gun, cape, flip, batarang to ground takedown with one guy left if you don't want to be mixing in stuff in a giant crowd.

Varth

Sheppard said:

Challenge Maps, absolutely. You'll have to face them so many times to get the 3 stars that you'll get to know some of them inside out.

Incorporate this stuff:
Grapple
Batarang
T+O Takedown
S+X Takedown
Cape Stun
jump over
ground stomp
[forgetting something, for sure]

and keep the combo going. You'll need a pretty long combo to get to the trophy.

EDIT: beaten, of course -_-

Ri'Orius

Sheppard said:

Wait, you got all the challenge medals without getting a 9-move Versatility bonus of 5k? Impressive.

I'd say do it on the first combat challenge room, although once I got a good grasp of the various moves I'd often a do it in the later challenge rooms for the aforementioned bonus.

For the ground takedown, usually you don't want to do it until the end of the combo where most of the enemies are on the ground (and you've built up a big multiplier - 30 multiplier * 100 points for ground takedown = :D ). If there are guys still standing, you can use the quick batarang to drop three instantly (very nice if you need guys on the ground to use the move on), and the quick BatClaw will put three into a stun, followed by falling to the ground.

In the ideal scenario, you've got six guys left, you tap L1 to drop three, double-tap R2 to stun the rest, then hold R2 and mash Triangle (Batman will jump to where he needs to be automatically, so don't worry about getting over there). You could theoretically get six ground takedowns in a row, but I doubt the timing will work out so well; mostly you've just managed to incapacitate them all so you won't be disturbed.

And yeah, mostly it's a matter of remembering which moves to do. I often forget to cape guys, personally.

I want an open world Gotham to be able to drive a tumbler/batmobile/batwing around in. Build Gotham from the ground up and then support it with DLC episodic content like GTAIV.

As for more tangible and realistic stuff..I'd like to see the next iteration up the AI a little bit more for predator sequences.

Zeliard

TacticalFox88 said:
Anyone got any sequel wishlists?

Bigger, more open world, more stealth sequences, more gadgets (particularly ones that can be used during stealth) and more awesome voice casting.

Oh, and new game +. The gadgets and upgrades you unlock as you progress improve the game, and especially the stealth, immeasurably.

I think something also needs to be done to deepen the brawling sections a bit, but that'll be difficult, since their simplicity and emphasis on flow is part of their beauty.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Definitely Gotham environment but not open world at all. That would piss me off. Just a bigger area, more interactivity and somewhere to drive the Batmobile definitely. And Catwoman.

Zeliard

A more open world, not an actual open-world. :p

I agree that this sort of game needs to be scripted and lead the player through to some extent, which means some form of linearity. But a few sections of the game are fairly open and offer you a small amount of player choice in terms of which objective to tackle next, and I'd like to see more of those in the sequel, and made more significant (like maybe you can only complete one objective and you have to choose).

mattso

Sheppard said:
the best time to do a ground takedown is right after you use batman's toss move. Toss a guy away from the crowd and immediately use the ground takedown to pounce on him. You can wait til the very last guy you have to knock out to use this too since in my experience the toss alone will rarely knock them out.

Also a great way to add points in the freeflow challenge maps, especially if you can get 2 or 3 guys near the end of a long combo with it.

mattso

Ri'Orius said:
Wait, you got all the challenge medals without getting a 9-move Versatility bonus of 5k? Impressive.
I got all the challenge medals and after I had gotten the perfection achievement I very rarely got the 9-move bonus. Usually 7-8 but I'd often forget to use the batclaw.

spidye

bob_arctor said:
Definitely Gotham environment but not open world at all. That would piss me off. Just a bigger area, more interactivity and somewhere to drive the Batmobile definitely. And Catwoman.
this, this and again this
batmobile is a must( and catwoman too)

Sean

Banned
So are the challenge map leaderboards behind?

I had a time of 2:59 on one of the Predator challenge maps previously and completed it in 1:23 about 20 minutes ago, yet it's not updating the leaderboards at all. It shows the correct time locally on the map preview icon thing but doesn't ever seem to be refreshing on the leaderboards.

(this is the 360 version btw)

edit: nevermind, i guess that score didn't update for whatever reason… replayed it and got 1:12 and that counted.

Varth said:
Challenge Maps, absolutely. You'll have to face them so many times to get the 3 stars that you'll get to know some of them inside out.

Incorporate this stuff:
Grapple
Batarang
T+O Takedown
S+X Takedown
Cape Stun
jump over
ground stomp
[forgetting something, for sure]

and keep the combo going. You'll need a pretty long combo to get to the trophy.

EDIT: beaten, of course -_-

Bolded the attack I don't know. What's a "grapple"?

bob_arctor said:

definitely NOT open world. Agreed. I thought Arkham was big enough and I'm really not into the whole vehicles thing. Yes, Batman uses vehicles but the gameplay is so varied to begin with, I'd hate to have them dilute the experience by putting in some weak vehicle instances.

Catwoman, Yes.

Killer Croc, Yes.

A little more fluidity regarding how Batman moves. Having him climb a little more like Altair would be nice although I'm worried it would spoil the whole gadget-angle Batman has.

A little more functionality regarding detective mode and letting you find and manipulate evidence to solve puzzles and less information regarding the location of enemies in detective mode unless you have line of sight.

New Game+

Most importantly, I'd hate for Rocksteady to rush out another iteration of the game in a year or in eighteen months.

This game was definitely worth the wait and if the next iteration takes two to three years, I am 100% comfortable with that.

Zeliard said:
THE BATCLAW OF DEATH

I assume

Ah...thanks. I was wondering what I had missed. And does anyone else find it tough to pull off the two different take downs? I'm getting too old for this "press two buttons at the same time" stuff... :*(

EzLink

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
This game was definitely worth the wait and if the next iteration takes two to three years, I am 100% comfortable with that.

I am 100% uncomfortable with that
Want sequel nao plz :(

I really don't think open world Gotham would work all that well, but before thinking about sequels I'm just praying for some badass DLC

calder

Bah, I'm done with the challenge rooms for a while. Until I work on my combat (especially ground moves) a bit the extreme rooms are more annoying than fun.

And the predator rooms drive me nuts, the vague-ass shit it asks for that I forget 2 minutes in every time. Aerial what? Does that mean glide kick? Dropping on him? Takedown through the glass? Dumb fucking setup for those rooms. :|

Sean

Banned
I'm finding the Predator challenge rooms a lot of fun since it's like a big puzzle. The combat challenges, not so much - having trouble getting much higher than a 10 hit combo =/

mattso

calder said:
Bah, I'm done with the challenge rooms for a while. Until I work on my combat (especially ground moves) a bit the extreme rooms are more annoying than fun.

And the predator rooms drive me nuts, the vague-ass shit it asks for that I forget 2 minutes in every time. Aerial what? Does that mean glide kick? Dropping on him? Takedown through the glass? Dumb fucking setup for those rooms. :|
Hit select and it will explain how to get the challenges for the predator maps

saiftk

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Anyone got any sequel wishlists?

I know we have seen enough of Arkham, but I really would like more. I would think Arkham Asylum would need to be reconstructed after the night's events. We could return to a new and improved Arkham. Maybe it could be called Batman: Return to Arkham?

I just think going into Gotham would set the game up for failure. The Bat Mansion, sure, the Batcave, great, but not Gotham. Again, no vehicles. I don't want to fly the Batwing or anything else.

I was thinking it would be cool to actually play as Joker in the game. Play as him robbing a bank or something. Maybe in the beginning of the next game you start as Two Face and then you switch to Batman when he arrives in the Batwing.

I'm sure whatever they do will be great. Can't wait 3 yrs....:(

Okay, just wrapped it up. The ending was lame.
Titan Joker?
Come on.

For the sequel, I want a 3D version of the Catwoman level from The Adventures of Batman and Robin (SNES). Chasing her across rooftops with spotlights and police helicopters all around would be a great opportunity to show off some of the gadgets and mechanics already used in this game (auto-jumping, climbing, gliding).

Also, I want unlockables. Mostly just tons of costumes (Batman Year 100 suit please) and New Game +.

Oh, and more varied environments and much more detective work. Let the story cover all of Gotham, and let me take dirty snapshots of crooked judges and cops and such.

OH oh... and a Wayne Manor training course like in Tomb Raider.

Wow, I've had the worst luck with shipping on this game.

It took forever for Amazon to ship it out after the game was released, and if they had done it just ONE day earlier, I wouldn't have been caught on the cusp of Sunday with no mail. But alas, the game was set to arrive on Monday, so I waited patiently.

But disaster soon struck. The truck containing my game was attacked by street pirates and the driver was barely able to get away with his life, being forced to stop off at a different carrier facility to treat his wounds and repair his truck. That is the only reason I can think of for seeing this message from my package tracker:

USPS said:
August 29, 2009 08:46:00 AM PORTLAND OR Possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect carrier facility

The date on the ETA didn't change at all, which I guess is understandable given the severity of the situation -- honestly I'm just glad the driver is okay -- so I was still expecting to receive my package today. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I looked in my mailbox and didn't find a package of a hot new Batman game waiting for me, but two crappy little catalogs for furniture or something equally less interesting than Batman. I can only hope that it'll arrive tomorrow, but who knows how long it'll take for the driver's wounds to heal, not to mention the damages to his truck.

Oh well. I guess I'll just go play Metroid Prime some more.

Sheppard

Ri'Orius said:

Yea I did. I mostly just did a lot of freeflow combos to take down the extreme rooms then throw in a ground take down for good measure at the end. It would net me a 7 or 8 vari bonus on most. On Rumble in the Jungle Extreme, I can get 20000 on the first round most times.

And thank you everyone for your info!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yes, definitely more detective work and more involved and grand scale puzzles. The best part of the game for me has been the Riddler stuff. As a huge Metroid fan it's been awesome staring hard and long at unattainable spots and immediately remembering them when you get access to a new gadget.

Oh, I'd think that Alfred has to make an appearance in the sequel. Has to.

Playing through my second time, and enjoying it even more than the first. Trying to solve all the Riddler Challenges and find all the Riddler Trophies this play through. Then I'm going to play through on Hard. Loving it.

bob_arctor said:
Yes, definitely more detective work and more involved and grand scale puzzles. The best part of the game for me has been the Riddler stuff. As a huge Metroid fan it's been awesome staring hard and long at unattainable spots and immediately remembering them when you get access to a new gadget.

Oh, I'd think that Alfred has to make an appearance in the sequel. Has to.

In the sequel I want to definitely see more of Gotham, not open world style but mission based zone style but with alot of room to explore and take in sites.
For the opposition:
Ras
he comes with many grunts at his disposal and is definitely a mastermind type foil.

Two Face... especially playing up the dynamic between Gordon/Bruce and Harvey
Penguin... being an arms dealer can lead to many good scenarios not even going into his quirks...
Mad Hatter- ah poor Bats having to fight off swarms of controlled innocent people without harming them...could make some great challenges.
Black Mask ... good old mob ties with a grudge against Wayne
Deadshot..kind of straight forward I would think...
Solomon Grundy ... would give a great excuse for some swamp areas and a change of pace.

Add in a healthy dose of more Riddler interactions and a few surprises and I think win win all around.

OokieSpookie said:
In the sequel I want to definitely see more of Gotham, not open world style but mission based zone style but with alot of room to explore and take in sites.
For the opposition:
Ras
he comes with many grunts at his disposal and is definitely a mastermind type foil.

Two Face... especially playing up the dynamic between Gordon/Bruce and Harvey
Penguin... being an arms dealer can lead to many good scenarios not even going into his quirks...
Mad Hatter- ah poor Bats having to fight off swarms of controlled innocent people without harming them...could make some great challenges.
Black Mask ... good old mob ties with a grudge against Wayne
Deadshot..kind of straight forward I would think...
Solomon Grundy ... would give a great excuse for some swamp areas and a change of pace.

Add in a healthy dose of more Riddler interactions and a few surprises and I think win win all around.

Penguin and Two face would be a lock for a sequel. Also,
Bane/Scarecrow/Killer Croc
hopped up on Titan would be a plus.

I think Catwoman will be in the sequel as well.

Deadshot and Solomon Grundy would be cherries ontop of the creepy sundae.

EekTheKat

Keir was right, this game was very story driven. It's actually one of the rare games where the story complements the gameplay and level design very well.

If (or when) they do the inevitable sequel, I hope it's done because they have a good story to tell that's would make a worthwhile sequel. Hopefully Eidos won't UBIclancy it up and rush out an annual sequel just for the sake of a quick cash-in.

They've already established a very good groundwork with Batman:AA, all they should do is just build upon what they have already without forcing anything awkward like a driving segment just for the sake of another sequel bulletpoint.

The one thing I absolutely do NOT want to see is an open world with GTA like random missions. The formula they have now is a winner - hopefully they'll just expand upon what they've done already and not make any drastic changes.

Just came back from Fry's with the Collector's Edition PS3 version. It's the only version they had, I convinced myself to get it because I thought the Batarang would be a cool addition to my random cool shit collection, and I only ever buy Special Editions when there's the original DVD/Blu-Ray case so I can stack it up against my other games without it looking out of place.

I open it up and what do I find? A SHITTY fucking batarang that looks like wood, and a fucking CARDBOARD blu ray case. Fuck this shit. I am going to try to return this tomorrow claiming I never opened it. 40 extra dollars for a blu ray case that is cheaper than the less expensive version's case? I don't fucking think so.

I know I should have done more research if I'm that anal about the case, but I thought I wouldn't have to worry about getting the Collector's Edition since I figured it would be rare and pre-order only. Of course I get in this situation where the only way I can go home and play it today is to buy the CE though, and of course I'm an impatient bastard. Anyway, the back of the box made it seem to me like it was the same case as the regular edition which is what sold me on it.

I rate this collector's edition 4/10

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That would be awesome. Unfortunately, they just announced the Marvel Sackboys recently, so that might get it the way of Batman stuff.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've got 3* on all Predator challenges except Silent Knight extreme. There's one medal where you have to plant 3 explosives on 3 walls AND hit 3 guys at the same time. I haven't figured out how to do that. Especially since you can't really control your explosives once you have the proximity upgrade.

Montresor

Wow, the predator challenges are fucking brilliant. It's like you get 8 new difficult, intriguing, and satisfying puzzles to solve on top of the brilliant single player campaign. I said wow. I'm loving how I can just take my sweet ass time to get gold medals too, no pressure at all.

Combat challenges are a bit harder, but I've been making some progress. I think I've gold-starred three of them so far - it'll be awhile before I gold-star everything but I plan on getting there. I really, really want 1000/1000 on this game.

I was so happy when I got the Freeflow Combo (use every move in one combo) and Challenge No-Hit (complete a combat challenge without getting hit) achievements an hour ago. <3 <3

Love this game so much. I 100%'d everything in the storyline yesterday and yet I still foresee playing this for another couple of days, possibly weeks depending on my progress in the challenges.

An important question I have: Do you only have to beat the challenges (aka either with zero, 1, 2, or 3 batarangs / medals) to get the 100% achievement?

If so, awesome.

Top Bottom