• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

LiK

Xater said:
I am still amazed that Rocksteady went from this:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2ntwnk0.jpg

To Batman: Arkham Asylum. That's one hell of a progression. Beieve me, I played Urban Chaos.[/QUOTE]

i would say the same thing for Chair - from Undertow to Shadow Complex. :D

There's no doubt that this is probably the best sleeper hit of all time. It just works, and reminds me of the games of old, story drven singleplayer games with 'atmosphere'.

I know alot of people say that they don't want an open world game, and i think that's through fear of it not working more than anything. Imaging clambering across the rooftops and then taking out a gang of enemies down an alley etc. I think that the way it would work would be if you got to play bruce wayne for very limited sections of the game, where you could walk along freely etc, yet when as batman the game would really punish you for being seen for a long amount of time, literally a few times in the batmobile would do, and the rest of the game you would be hidden in shadows or on rooftops. It would be open world, but with no missions available there would be no reason for you to be out and about. I think it would work.

EzLink

Banned
Jamesearlcash said:
There's no doubt that this is probably the best sleeper hit of all time. It just works, and reminds me of the games of old, story drven singleplayer games with 'atmosphere'.

I know alot of people say that they don't want an open world game, and i think that's through fear of it not working more than anything. Imaging clambering across the rooftops and then taking out a gang of enemies down an alley etc. I think that the way it would work would be if you got to play bruce wayne for very limited sections of the game, where you could walk along freely etc, yet when as batman the game would really punish you for being seen for a long amount of time, literally a few times in the batmobile would do, and the rest of the game you would be hidden in shadows or on rooftops. It would be open world, but with no missions available there would be no reason for you to be out and about. I think it would work.

Why the hell would they risk all the cons of open world gameplay (worse graphics, bad pacing, poor sense of a unified narrative, etc.) and leave out the benefits (extra side missions, rewards for exploration)?

Xater said:

2ntwnk0.jpg

To Batman: Arkham Asylum. That's one hell of a progression. Believe me, I played Urban Chaos.
Eh....Urban Chaos was fantastic as well, so I really don't see what you're talking bout here.I mean yes, AA is obviously the better game but UC was still brilliant.

Dizzle24

Epic game continues to be more epic :D

I passed the Killer Croc encounter, which I though was really good. It built up tension because you don't know what the fuck is going on, and then BOOM! Croc jumps out of the water and starts chasing you. Took me a second to figure out how to take him down, but it was fun. Scarecrow 3 was EPIC. The whole "LOL broke your PS3!" bit was funny, but the fucked up part was when they show the intro movie again, but with Joker taking in Batman" I was like, "WTF? was the whole game up to this point a delusion?!" :lol

Can't wait to finish the game this week!

LiK

Dizzle24 said:
Epic game continues to be more epic :D

I passed the Killer Croc encounter, which I though was really good. It built up tension because you don't know what the fuck is going on, and then BOOM! Croc jumps out of the water and starts chasing you. Took me a second to figure out how to take him down, but it was fun. Scarecrow 3 was EPIC. The whole "LOL broke your PS3!" bit was funny, but the fucked up part was when they show the intro movie again, but with Joker taking in Batman" I was like, "WTF? was the whole game up to this point a delusion?!" :lol

Can't wait to finish the game this week!

yea,
Scarescrow breaking my TV/console was a MGS-level WTF moment
awesome.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before in the thread, but does anybody find it funny that when you purchase upgrades for the Bat Suit or Armor that it does not actually heal the battle damage of the suit? Not a big deal by any means but thought I would point that out because it seems odd.

schlew

Enemy Of Fate said:
Eh....Urban Chaos was fantastic as well, so I really don't see what you're talking bout here.I mean yes, AA is obviously the better game but UC was still brilliant.

That's what I wanna hear. I just bought UC off of ebay, for about $15. I get this way with developers, where I buy their previous works when they surprise me/I've ignored them.

K' Dash

bob_arctor said:
I refuse to advance the story if there's riddles to be found and I don't need a particular gadget to get them. I'm a little past Croc and I'm at 209/240 riddles found. If it wasn't for most paths being blocked due to....certain conditions, I'd be done.

Beat the game first.

spidye

Hyunkel6 said:
For us, 360 owners, it was more like a RROD WTF moment of panic and fear.
:lol :lol :lol
I've played AA on my cousin's xbox and when he saw the glitch part he paniced and thought his console died.
I admit, I paniced too

K' Dash

Mecha_Infantry said:
Oh hey guyz

Quick q, I got lost and entered the Batcave again, and saw a wall which was destroyable, and next to it what I thought is the Batplane..is this usable :(

Yes I am willing to spoil it for myself

no

Hyunkel6 said:

He won. You lose! You need some more medication of his! Please make an appointment soon.

I also freaked the fuck out since I got a brand new TV. I thought my TV died on me!

Oh. My. Goodness.

I played late last night after getting home from work (I'm about 7% into the game). The game also legitimately scared me.

I'm not a fan of survival horror, but
hearing voices inside the morgue, progressively get louder... "You should not be in here... you should not be in here.... GET OUT!"
Jesus, it creeped me out. I actually turned the game off and decided to play during day light.

Oh, and
is Gordon really dead?!
. DO NOT TELL ME - it's a rhetorical question.

This is a terrific game, and it's been a terrific year for me games-wise. I finally got the Batman game I dreamed of for years as well as Street Fighter 4. What else can I ask for?

hamchan

Oh god just started playing today and I've been playing for 8 hours straight.

Now I'm
going to find killer croc under intensive care

How far away from the end am I? I'll probably start hard difficulty tomorrow if I'm near the end.

LiK

Hyunkel6 said:

i was playing on my 360 and that's what i thought too for sec. :lol but i knew it wasn't real because
i saw Batman cough for a sec
right before it happened. nice lil clue.

Hyunkel6 said:

True story, I stood up and scremed WTF at my console just because of the disbelief of having another RROD.
I felt like a tool when it was not.

Xater said:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2ntwnk0.jpg[/IMG

To Batman: Arkham Asylum. That's one hell of a progression. Believe me, I played Urban Chaos.[/QUOTE]
Heh, Urban Chaos is why I knew Arkham Asylum would be brilliant in the first place. Found it very noticeable that the studio had talent and knew that it would be fully revealed with this game.

Help me out here, guys. In the Abandoned Chamber of Botanical Gardens, it says there's one more trophy in the upper right left hand corner of the map, only I can't figure out how to get there. It looks like there's a little alcove covered in vegetation, but I can't shoot a grapnel line up there, and I can't figure out where to stand to shoot a zip line across.

Any ideas?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Papercuts said:
I'd probably try intensive treatment extreme or something, sewer bat gets a lot of people trying to throw crap at you/get guns, so it'll be harder. And while the titan thing works, it's probably not the easiest way. The move whiffs can get annoying(especially when it screws up a good run :'(), it seems better to try and get far away so he does lunging attacks. Good luck either way. :p

YES YES YES! My skill level has increased! I got it!

I did it on Sewer Bat. Intensive Treatment may have only one gun in later rounds, but round one WILL NOT give you 40 (it gives you up to a max of 32 unless you get REALLY lucky with criticals/x2 bonus), and the later levels get tough, esp. with the stun rod and knife dudes able to break your combo.

Rumble in the Jungle could work if you're good at riding Titans and not knocking the dudes around while dodging (I'm not).

I felt like the Goddamn Batman after seeing that achievement pop-up though. :lol
I just did it on Sewer Bat (Extreme) Round 1. 43x Combo PERFECT KNIGHT (you can't get hit, so you have to be pretty alert to combos and start knocking EVERYONE down on the ground to kick them while they're down), I started to sweat when I saw I had 38x (that was the highest I got like an hour ago) and finally just did it.

w00t. Now I just have to do Freeflow Perfection (how the hell are you supposed to do this in one go anyway?) and then I have all the free flow (besides the challenges) achievements on the PS3. >_< (No way I'm getting this game on the 360, too nervewracking are these achievements :lol )

Hey, before I disappear from this thread to avoid spoilers, can someone tell me how far in the game I am? I just
captured Harley and am on my way to the botanical gardens

Costanza

Banned
Gryphter said:
Hey, before I disappear from this thread to avoid spoilers, can someone tell me how far in the game I am? I just
captured Harley and am on my way to the botanical gardens
like..halfway? i think

Baker

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
Help me out here, guys. In the Abandoned Chamber of Botanical Gardens, it says there's one more trophy in the upper right left hand corner of the map, only I can't figure out how to get there. It looks like there's a little alcove covered in vegetation, but I can't shoot a grapnel line up there, and I can't figure out where to stand to shoot a zip line across.

Any ideas?
Get as high as possible and look at the wall in front of you as you walk along the pillar/pathway. There should be one of those ledges you can jump to and shimmy across. That one took me awhile to figure out too. It's a really long jump and it doesn't look like you can make it, but you can.

Costanza said:
like..halfway? i think

wow, I thought I was near the end or at least 3/4ths. Thanks. Now to vanish into the shadows like the Dark Knight himself, only to reappear when VENGEANCE calls... or til after I beat the game

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gryphter said:
wow, I thought I was near the end or at least 3/4ths. Thanks. Now to vanish into the shadows like the Dark Knight himself, only to reappear when VENGEANCE calls... or til after I beat the game

You're about 50-60%, but you're nearly at the end if you just rush the story.

Baker said:
Get as high as possible and look at the wall in front of you as you walk along the pillar/pathway. There should be one of those ledges you can jump to and shimmy across. That one took me awhile to figure out too. It's a really long jump and it doesn't look like you can make it, but you can.
D'oh! Yeah, it looked too far to jump so I didn't even try; I just kept looking for a way to gadget my way across.

BAT-LEAP! :lol

Xater

Enemy Of Fate said:

I guess there are fans for everything on GAF. I though UC was pretty bad.

Baker

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
D'oh! Yeah, it looked too far to jump so I didn't even try; I just kept looking for a way to gadget my way across.

BAT-LEAP! :lol
Yeah, I kept smacking myself into it using the zip cord and I finally got pissed off enough to just try jumping. :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
LiK said:
yea,
Scarescrow breaking my TV/console was a MGS-level WTF moment
awesome.

I thought of the same thing. :D Cannot wait to see what Rocksteady does for the sequel. I cannot believe GAF was down on this game when it was first announced. oh well...

brendanrfoley said:
Oh. My. Goodness.

I played late last night after getting home from work (I'm about 7% into the game). The game also legitimately scared me.

I'm not a fan of survival horror, but
hearing voices inside the morgue, progressively get louder... "You should not be in here... you should not be in here.... GET OUT!"
Jesus, it creeped me out. I actually turned the game off and decided to play during day light.
Oh, and
is Gordon really dead?!
. DO NOT TELL ME - it's a rhetorical question.

This is a terrific game, and it's been a terrific year for me games-wise. I finally got the Batman game I dreamed of for years as well as Street Fighter 4. What else can I ask for?

:lol The game gets even better as you continue.

So I beat the game on hard right out of the gate, found all of Riddler's stuff and now I'm trying to tackle the challenges. First two fighting ones weren't so bad but as soon as they throw a couple shock and knife guys in, I become a bumbling, fumbling idiot. I'm not even close to the (extreme) challenges yet and I'm having trouble. Something tells me I'm just not good enough to finish them up. However, the predator challenges aren't so bad. Just takes a little time to setup.

And like a dope I
didn't break up the party at the end. What was I thinking? I know what I was thinking. I was thinking, 'I don't have to fight 20 guys? Fine with me, let's get this over with'. Completely missed that achievement.
Ugh.

Quick question. What's a good way to try to get the perfect freeflow combo achievement where you have to use all of batman moves? That seems like it'd be a bitch.

P.S. Absolutely loved the shit out of this game. :D

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Confused101 said:
And like a dope I
didn't break up the party at the end. What was I thinking? I know what I was thinking. I was thinking, 'I don't have to fight 20 guys? Fine with me, let's get this over with'. Completely missed that achievement.
Ugh.

I didn't know there was an achievement here.
The sarcastic applause by the four outside was enough to invite my Batman rage, and they were such pushovers, I knew the unarmed group inside wouldn't stand a chance. It was like shooting fish in a barrel, and when "Party Pooper" appeared in the upper right hand corner of the screen, as I stood in a 20-man pile of party-hat-wearing bodies, I about pissed myself. The best achievement in the game.

Funny thing was, I did know it was there. But by the time I had finally gotten there, it slipped my mind. Well, if I get close to 100% (which I doubt) I'll run back through and get it.

YuriLowell said:
True story, I stood up and scremed WTF at my console just because of the disbelief of having another RROD.
I felt like a tool when it was not.

ya me too...though my no 5 xbox RROD'ed and considered looking for the 1-800 microsoft #...lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Confused101 said:
And like a dope I
Ugh.

When I arrived at that part,
I thought to myself, I'm the goddamn Batman like hell I'm going to leave a party of thugs standing. I also beat the living crap out of the 4 goons at the entrance as well.

nolookjones said:
ya me too...though my no 5 xbox RROD'ed and considered looking for the 1-800 microsoft #...lol

I wonder how many calls Sony and Microsoft received about that.

Microsoft: customer service how can I help you?

Consumer: WTF!!!! I have another RRoD!!!!! I'm sick of this CRAP

Microsoft: I'm sorry to hear that what is your xbox id number I can order a....

Consumer: Oh wait my game is back on, Joker is now driving the Batman to Arkham?

Microsoft: oh another one *laughs*

Baker

Banned
Confused101 said:
Quick question. What's a good way to try to get the perfect freeflow combo achievement where you have to use all of batman moves? That seems like it'd be a bitch.
It's really not hard once you get the hang of it. You just need enough guys on screen (so Round Fours are best) and it's even easier if it's one of the first challenges so weapons aren't in play.

Punch until someone attacks you - 1
Counter - 2
Punch until you get your special attacks
Beat down (B+Y) - 3
Grapple hook - 4
Cape stun - 5
Jump over the dudes you just stunned - 6
Do some punches and throw a batarang when the time is right - 7
Once there aren't many enemies left, throw a guy (A+X) far away from everyone else - 8
Ground pound - 9

mattso

Goreomedy said:
The sarcastic applause by the four outside was enough to invite my Batman rage, and they were such pushovers, I knew the unarmed group inside wouldn't stand a chance. It was like shooting fish in a barrel, and when "Party Pooper" appeared in the upper right hand corner of the screen, as I stood in a 20-man pile of party-hat-wearing bodies, I about pissed myself. The best achievement in the game.
Same here. I specifically avoided looking at the achievements until I beat it so that I wouldn't ruin gems like that one.

Gotta say the quality of this game is suprising the hell out of me. I thought it would be just another licenced game crap for sure (who didn't?) but it's pretty awesome. This has got to be my suprise game of the year. I doubt this will be my overall GOTY (well I haven't finished it yet, who knows...) but it will be up there.

I'm trying not to play too much of it at once and get as much out of it as I can. I'm not sure how long the game is but the Riddles and what not are fun to find and explore which keep the game going longer.

Goreomedy said:

Haha awesome

I didn't even hear the sarcastic applause from the guys outside. I threw a remote batarang from up top and then dropped down and took them out before they could throw a punch :) And once I got in I stood on one side of the party line and knocked them all out with a remote batarang too. haha

I really hope my brother got to play this game. He was always the bigger batman fan out of the two of us. He will absolutely love this game.

KAOz

Short bus special
TheSeks said:
YES YES YES! My skill level has increased! I got it!

I did it on Sewer Bat. Intensive Treatment may have only one gun in later rounds, but round one WILL NOT give you 40 (it gives you up to a max of 32 unless you get REALLY lucky with criticals/x2 bonus), and the later levels get tough, esp. with the stun rod and knife dudes able to break your combo.

Just want to say thank you for this! :D As soon as I read that, I thought "Hey, I might acctually try that on that level." Lo and behold, second try; 45-combo PLUS managed to get all the moves down. So two trophies in one go.
I thought I was stuck forever.

So, thank you man!

firen

shagg_187 said:
He won. You lose! You need some more medication of his! Please make an appointment soon.

I also freaked the fuck out since I got a brand new TV. I thought my TV died on me!

I freaked out, actually got up to check my PS3 cuz I thought it was YLOD!
That whole encounter with Scarecrow had a Max Payne/MGS feel to it!

GriffD17

The
last fight
is a tad annoying.

It'd be nice if
there were checkpoints between getting him down

And yes, if anyone asks, I like games to hold my hand. And call me afterwards.

Tonza

Completed the game on hard and got all the riddles. Now I only have 40x combo and challenge trophies to get. But I already spent about 1,5 hours to get the first challenge to 3 batarangs (though most of the time was spent trying to get freeflow perfection which I got in the end)

This is really one of my favorite games ever. The challenges provide some frustration though. Also about the special moves, is there a limit to how many of those you can do in combo or how close to each other you can do those? Usually when I try to do the special takedown Batman just does counter and my combo breaks...

Baker said:
It's really not hard once you get the hang of it. You just need enough guys on screen (so Round Fours are best) and it's even easier if it's one of the first challenges so weapons aren't in play.

Punch until someone attacks you - 1
Counter - 2
Punch until you get your special attacks
Beat down (B+Y) - 3
Grapple hook - 4
Cape stun - 5
Jump over the dudes you just stunned - 6
Do some punches and throw a batarang when the time is right - 7
Once there aren't many enemies left, throw a guy (A+X) far away from everyone else - 8
Ground pound - 9
Even quicker: wait for a guy to get near, counter, cape stun, vault over his head, throw punches until you hit freeflow, then do an instant when you hit five. Start throwing more punches (vaulting as necessary), do a throw when your combo bar lights up again, then tidy up with the claw and batarangs. And throw in a ground pound whenever you have the space and time (I love ground pound followed by a counter as someone tries to nail you in the back). Sometimes I even open with the claw, just for laughs.

Edit: pretty sure you can do it by round three of the basic Intensive Treatment challenge. Maybe even round two if you were efficient. The 5,000 XP bonus is more than worth it once you've got the hang of it.

Top Bottom