• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Okay, the bit
with the giant Scarecrow
is breathtaking. I loved the mechanic, and the fight with
Bane
shortly after is a total blast.

I'm 9% through this game, and it's already the best game I've played in years. I'm biased because of my love of Batman. But you know what? I'm okay with that!

One more thing; I love upgrading Batman's abilities -- but Rocksteady is smart. By no means does the character feel gimped at the beginning of the game. Batman goes from bad ass, to badder ass. It's great!

Double D

brendanrfoley said:
Okay, the bit
with the giant Scarecrow
is breathtaking. I loved the mechanic, and the fight with
Bane
shortly after is a total blast.

I'm 9% through this game, and it's already the best game I've played in years. I'm biased because of my love of Batman. But you know what? I'm okay with that!

One more thing; I love upgrading Batman's abilities -- but Rocksteady is smart. By no means does the character feel gimped at the beginning of the game. Batman goes from bad ass, to badder ass. It's great!

What I would do to re-experience this game. I envy your 9%, sir! The best is yet to come.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes, if you're loving it at 9% just wait. The game just continues to escalate. Never does it become dull or repetitive.

dark10x said:
Yes, if you're loving it at 9% just wait. The game just continues to escalate. Never does it become dull or repetitive.

What this man says! Blast from the start, to the finish! My favorite game so far this year!

LiK

indeed, perfectly paced, lots of extras and optional stuff to hunt for and lots of great moments from beginning to end.

Baker said:
Punch until someone attacks you - 1
Counter - 2
Punch until you get your special attacks
Beat down (B+Y) - 3
Grapple hook - 4
Cape stun - 5
Jump over the dudes you just stunned - 6
Do some punches and throw a batarang when the time is right - 7
Once there aren't many enemies left, throw a guy (A+X) far away from everyone else - 8
Ground pound - 9
Shake Appeal said:
Even quicker: wait for a guy to get near, counter, cape stun, vault over his head, throw punches until you hit freeflow, then do an instant when you hit five. Start throwing more punches (vaulting as necessary), do a throw when your combo bar lights up again, then tidy up with the claw and batarangs. And throw in a ground pound whenever you have the space and time (I love ground pound followed by a counter as someone tries to nail you in the back). Sometimes I even open with the claw, just for laughs.

Edit: pretty sure you can do it by round three of the basic Intensive Treatment challenge. Maybe even round two if you were efficient. The 5,000 XP bonus is more than worth it once you've got the hang of it.
These are both great! Thanks!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
netguy503 said:
Even better than Infamous?
Absolutely! Infamous was a great game, but this is *MUCH* better (IMO, of course). I never could bring myself to finish Infamous (like every other open world game), but I can't put Batman down (almost finished).

Dave1988

dark10x said:
Absolutely! Infamous was a great game, but this is *MUCH* better (IMO, of course). I never could bring myself to finish Infamous (like every other open world game), but I can't put Batman down (almost finished).

Maybe because Bats isn't an open world game? ;p

Dave1988

bonesmccoy said:
What's the best thing to do when the red counter warning pops up? The normal response doesn't seem to hurt those dudes w/knives.

Dodge/ Quick Batarang. Daging is safer, though.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the DP.

Ferrio

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
What's the best thing to do when the red counter warning pops up? The normal response doesn't seem to hurt those dudes w/knives.

Evade over their back and smack them from behind.

dark10x said:

If you are not able to finish it, you should not even comment.

On the other hand, Batman is indeed an instant classic. The two games are hard to compare though. Could not pick one over the other.

Xater

bonesmccoy said:

You can also stun them by doing a cape attack on Circle/B.

Baker

Banned
schennmu said:
If you are not able to finish it, you should not even comment.
He probably has a more glowing opinion of it because he didn't finish it. That game got sloppier and sloppier as time went on in the last 10-20%.

Ferrio

Banned
Iron Toaster said:
Is this game really all that great? I played the demo on the PS3 and wasn't impressed, holding X to run is so 90's.

Opposed to what? Analog controls and accidentally blowing a stealth section because I pushed the stick a tiny bit too much forward?

nomster

Iron Toaster said:
Is this game really all that great? I played the demo on the PS3 and wasn't impressed, holding X to run is so 90's.
Yes it is that great. Batman is too cool to run anyway.

LiK

Iron Toaster said:

yes, it's great. and knocking it for the run button is just silly.

Aww man, Sewer Bat on Extreme is so awesome! My jaw kinda dropped when the final round started and I saw all those goons, and I went "oh sh*t" when two of them grabbed guns. Once my health got into the redzone I started cruising on autopilot, not thinking for a bit... just hit hit counter hit dodge takedown hit hit hit takedown dodge counter hit counter hit counter counter batarang dodge hit hit... well, you get the idea. I didn't finish the round but I got that 40-hit trophy, though.

*tears of joy*

Think I'm ranked 25th in sewer bat extreme :D Just got 100% in the game, only non-arcade title I've done that in so I think it's fair to say it had just enough content. I hate the god-damned batclaw in combat though, the follow ups are way to unreliable if you're unable to volt someone as they tumble towards you. I was started my free-flows with that attack to save me messing thing up late in the combo, triple batarangs are much more handy for setting people up for ground pounds.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Spike Spiegel said:
Aww man, Sewer Bat on Extreme is so awesome! My jaw kinda dropped when the final round started and I saw all those goons, and I went "oh sh*t" when two of them grabbed guns. Once my health got into the redzone I started cruising on autopilot, not thinking for a bit... just hit hit counter hit dodge takedown hit hit hit takedown dodge counter hit counter hit counter counter batarang dodge hit hit... well, you get the idea. I didn't finish the round but I got that 40-hit trophy, though.

*tears of joy*

Yeah, you kinda feel like Neo from the first Matrix dodging Agent Smith's hand-to-hand after the 40-combo pops up.

"Oh, that's all? *yawn*"
*punch*
"Oh, well, damn." :lol

Dave1988

The top score for Rumble in the Jungle is 322k. How is that possible? It's a score 3 times higher than the second place (103k).

Minamu

Fantastic game. Haven't been on gaf since Thursday at all :lol Though for some reason, I didn't touch the game at all until Sunday or so after playing 5+ hours on Thursday. dunno what happened. Overhyped a bit I think. GOTY so far though ^^

But, since ofw 3.0 just came out, my game wants to install the game data at every boot? o_O Why? It just stays there for 5 seconds or so but still. It's a bit weird & scary :p It never did before. Anyone else seen this?

I only have 2 extreme maps left to complete. It's really hard :'(

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/batman-arkham-asylum/21519-batman-arkham-asylum-trophy-guide.html
This site has vides of almost every challenge map though. Dunno if it's been posted. I'm still 20+ pages behind in this thread.

GOTY so far. Easily the best superhero game i've ever played.

now, about two-face and that bank robbery over the radio in the ending cinematic...

I want a sequel NOW.

Montresor

legend166 said:
Wait what?

Then what the hell is the point of 4 save slots?

You're right. Not much point I guess. It might be useful to start a second file to beat the game on hard though, and keep your original easy / normal file for completion of riddles and rounding your 100%.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finally got some decent combos together in the combat challenges. Seems like the A button is key to keep your counter up and position yourself in such a way that your next punch will hit. I'm keeping it simple for now (mostly jump, punch and counter combos), but it seems to be effecient enough to get a decent score. I'm glad I decided to dig into the freeflow challenges, you really start to appreciate the combat even more.

PowderedToast

Just need to beat hard mode and i get my first plat. Didn't think I'd ever be able to beat those challenges, it should be more or less clean sailing from here on though.

Rocksteady did an outstanding job.

So many reasons this game is damn good but the attention to detail is just awesome, while most noticed that Batmans suit
degrades over time and gets jacked up, I hardly see people mention the fact that Batman gets more stubbly and haggard throughout the night.
Just a great detail imo.

Beat the game on hard my first time through and just absolutely loved it. Bravo Rocksteady and I pray that your already well on your way to creating the sequel.

firen

netguy503 said:
Even better than Infamous?

Different games. Both are quite good but I do infact find this better simply because the story and the well established characters. I didn't mind inFamous at all! But the way Rocksteady pulled this game off was fantastic. It has a very Max Payne vibe to it at certain points and over the fighting system is simple yet accessible. The
open world portion of the game is a great ballance of linear and open worldyness.
That makes no sense but you get what I mean. And remember this is coming from someone who loves inFamous and the world tha the that was created for it. I think ultimately Im just psyched to have a fantastic Bataman game. I kinda hope the next Spideramn can learn from this game. I though Web Of Shadows was fun but the characters and story was piss poor. I realized after this game that story in superhero games makes a HUGE difference. I can't say enugh about this game!

Oh and Joker is FUN to play in challenge room! :D

GQman2121

Banned
I'm well over ten hours into my first play through on Hard, and I honestly can't think of one thing I don't like about this game so far. Everything from top to bottom is dripping with quality.

I just passed the
third encounter with Scarecrow and the stuff that Joker was saying via Scarface was fucking hilarious. That whole sequence was just flat out brilliant.
:lol I wish I could go back and play that over again.

They've got some clever people over there at Rocksteady.

EzLink

Banned
Almost done with my hard playthrough, just finished up
Croc's lair
. This time the game is just whipping by. It makes a huge difference knowing exactly where to go and what to do.

I haven't died all that often either, though I have a feeling the final boss will be pretty frusterating

Will probably finish it up again tomorrow, whee

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dave1988 said:
The top score for Rumble in the Jungle is 322k. How is that possible? It's a score 3 times higher than the second place (103k).

Is that on PS3? There's 2 people on the 360 version with 25 MILLION, the guy in third is actually somewhat sane.

Zzoram said:
Question - are the challenges linked to difficulty? IE, if you play them on Easy, will they be really easy?

No, they're locked to Normal.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
EzLink said:
I haven't died all that often either, though I have a feeling the final boss will be pretty frusterating.

I honestly found Poison Ivy to be harder than the final boss, on my Hard playthrough. Oh man was that frustrating...

Noob question alert. I'm about to break up Joker's little party, but I'm missing a couple of the extreme challenge maps. Can I go back after completion to get these, or do I have to get them prior to smashing Joker's face in?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You can go back and do all the riddles afterwards. You just can't re-enter the Joker Door, and odds are, there will not be any thugs/crazies/plants out and about, so it's pretty darn quiet out there. About all you can do is riddle hunting and then just moving around as The Batman.

I FINALLY managed Freeflow Perfection, my sanity was near breaking point trying not to forget or whiff a move, so I thoutht I'd try Shock and Awe (Extreme). Who ever thought that multiple levels and a time-limit should be put into this deserves to be shot, least fun challenge room ever. I hate it so much, I never even see the 4th round - I hate fighting knife and stun guys at the best of times. :( I doubt I'lll 1000/1000 this now with that stupid room existing.

rSpooky

Lonestar said:
You can go back and do all the riddles afterwards. You just can't re-enter the Joker Door, and odds are, there will not be any thugs/crazies/plants out and about, so it's pretty darn quiet out there. About all you can do is riddle hunting and then just moving around as The Batman.

I still have some
crazies
running around

Top Bottom