• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

calder

God I still can't believe I did not get the "Party" trophy. It was just such a cool scene, I kept going assuming someone was going to take a poke at me and I'd get to lose my shit bat-style. Then when I went through the door obviously restarting the checkpoint didn't get me back there. :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only thing I have left is the combat challenges (ugh), beating the game on hard (do-able), and the extreme stealth challenges (some of the requirements are crazy) and then I have 1000gs/Platinum. >_< Too bad I can't do all that on this rental. Oh well, there's Christmas to pick this up. :lol

Dave1988

Papercuts said:
Is that on PS3? There's 2 people on the 360 version with 25 MILLION, the guy in third is actually somewhat sane.

There's no way it's possible the normal way. They must have found some kind of exploit.

feel

calder said:
God I still can't believe I did not get the "Party" trophy. It was just such a cool scene, I kept going assuming someone was going to take a poke at me and I'd get to lose my shit bat-style. Then when I went through the door obviously restarting the checkpoint didn't get me back there. :lol
:( I'm pretty pissed off about this too. I knew that was the scene in which to get the achievement, but it was such a cool scene that I for sake of roleplaying,
just kept on walking slowly looking all badass while they all clapped and the music change of tone was just perfect.
I let out a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO after I crossed the door.

Haeleos

Letters said:
:( I'm pretty pissed off about this too. I knew that was the scene in which to get the achievement, but it was such a cool scene that I for sake of roleplaying,
just kept on walking slowly looking all badass while they all clapped and the music change of tone was just perfect.
I let out a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO after I crossed the door.

This should be patched, imo. They wouldn't let you go back and finish the riddler stuff after beating the game if they expected you to retread the entire game for this. Seems like an oversight to me.

Haeleos said:
This should be patched, imo. They wouldn't let you go back and finish the riddler stuff after beating the game if they expected you to retread the entire game for this. Seems like an oversight to me.

No way! You're playing as the goddam Batman. You should've beat the living shit out of those thugs, considering that they're lunatics and a menace to society. Letting them clap and horse around, that's not something that Batman would do.

I can't believe you guys just walked right through... when that scene came up, I started to walk forward, but then stopped to ask myself: "What would Batman do?" And then I threw a punch at the nearest goon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
For sure. I didn't even know about the trophy at the time, and I still beat their asses. Batman would not tolerate their attitudes OR their stupid faces.

calder said:

Did the exact same thing :lol Though I was able to speedrun the game in about 2:30 after to get it.

Haeleos said:
I think the oversight was you not punching someone. Don't hate the game, hate the player (that's you).

Montresor

:lol :lol :lol

I love the discussion about what Batman would do at the party. The only reason I knew to get the achievement is because I looked up the Party Pooper description beforehand and read online that it was missable. I made sure to break up a party as soon as I saw one. =p

Ri'Orius

Spike Spiegel said:
I can't believe you guys just walked right through... when that scene came up, I started to walk forward, but then stopped to ask myself: "What would Batman do?" And then I threw a punch at the nearest goon.

Batman would waste his time beating up unarmed thugs who are presenting absolutely no threat when the Joker still needs to be dealt with? I would tend to disagree--he has bigger fish to fry.

Ri'Orius said:
Batman would waste his time beating up unarmed thugs who are presenting absolutely no threat when the Joker still needs to be dealt with? I would tend to disagree--he has bigger fish to fry.

:lol

This was my feeling on that matter.

Ri'Orius said:
Of course he'd beat them up! They're thieves, rapists and murderers from Blackgate Prison and he's the goddamn Batman! The guy kicked somebody in the face once for eating an ice cream cone!

AN ICE CREAM CONE!!! :O

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damned UPS is dicking around with my Arkham Asylum delivery! It should have been in my hands hours ago but nooooo. Looks like tomorrow even though it's been roaming around Los Angeles for 15 hours.

AniHawk

Spike Spiegel said:

Well I did this and got myself killed right away do to some carelessness. Because I was going for the Riddler stuff, I figured there might be more challenges ahead, so I walked right on through the second time. Then the game autosaved.

witness

Gully State said:
I'm surprised they gave it such a high score considering how skeptical Ryan was about the hype last week.

Yeah Jeff reviewed it since he played through it faster than Ryan, they talk about it in today's bombcast.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
fuck you challenge maps, fuck the you.

I'm trying to get the medal on Awe and Shock but...fuck! knifes, electricity meh

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Beat the game earlier, wow. Awesome all the way. I thought the last encounter lost a little when
Joker turns into The Hulk. It still felt climactic but took a lot away from what could have been a much more satisfying last encounter.

The game stayed at such a high level the whole time and totally is one of the defining pieces of Batman material. Best game I've played this year at retail.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just played the
third scarecrow encounter
and was completely blown away.
The system glitch, re-done intro sequence, and the retry thing were all brilliant. Middle stick? Nice.
. Quite honestly, this game really reaches the heights of the older Metal Gear experiences. I don't know how they pulled it off, but the results are just so good. I can't stop raving about it, to be honest. At this point, I think it may end up becoming one of my favorite games this gen. It absolutely echoes some of my favorite games by taking so many of those elements and building something fresh out of them. This is the type of game experience that has been lacking this generation. There have been so few truly outstanding single player experiences as of late. They absolutely nailed the execution. Hopefully people will fondly recall the fun games of this type can bring while its success will result in this type of gaming making a return. The single player epic can still exist!!!

GOTY right here. I truly do not believe that anything else this year will be able to top it. There are a few contenders, but I suspect they will be fairly predictable (as usual). This came out of nowhere and delivered a AAA experience the likes of which I've been craving as of late.

forgeforsaken said:
Ryan didn't review it.
To be fair, he had only played a tiny bit of the game when discussing it last week. I was also skeptical of the game and thought it was receiving way too much attention. I'm glad it turned out to be the real deal, however.

Kard8p3

I hate the combat challenge rooms. I can't keep a combo going for anything. Batman will never go the direction I want him to. I was fine with the stealth sections till extreme. How am I supposed to blow up three different thugs at three different walls when there's only one wall in the area that's destructible? So if anyone can give me any combat tips or tips for later stealth challenge rooms please do. Oh and whats the best stealth challenge room to do all silent takedowns?

Red

Kard8p3 said:
I hate the combat challenge rooms. I can't keep a combo going for anything. Batman will never go the direction I want him to. I was fine with the stealth sections till extreme. How am I supposed to blow up three different thugs at three different walls when there's only one wall in the area that's destructible? So if anyone can give me any combat tips or tips for later stealth challenge rooms please do. Oh and whats the best stealth challenge room to do all silent takedowns?
All silent takedowns is pretty easy on any of the maps, but my recommendation is silent knight (I think that's it, anyway... the library one). It's easy to navigate and easy to hide in.

suaveric

So I've been invited to a party, how close am I to the end? Should I start collecting what's left of Riddler's clues, or do I still have time for that later? I think I might be missing one final item, something that
will help me attach to ledges that are structurally weak

Red

suaveric said:
So I've been invited to a party, how close am I to the end? Should I start collecting what's left of Riddler's clues, or do I still have time for that later? I think I might be missing one final item, something that
will help me attach to ledges that are structurally weak
You're at the very end.

You can go back and collect items/challenges after the end game. You're not missing anything.

opkal

I've been 100-200 points away from three staring different combat challenges so many times I'm about to go insane.

Red

opkal said:
I've been 100-200 points away from three staring different combat challenges so many times I'm about to go insane.
Basically there are two types of challenge maps: predator challenges and frustration challenges.

Cipher

Just finished hard mode and got my final achievement and I really want to play more of this game, have they said what the free dlc will be?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TheFallen said:
It's odd, but I enjoy combat more than predator challenges.

The combat itself is fun, but it's a lot more interesting for me to try and get better times on predator challenges opposed to the scores on combat, due to the general nature of batman messing the combo up.

TheSeks

Papercuts said:
The combat itself is fun, but it's a lot more interesting for me to try and get better times on predator challenges opposed to the scores on combat, due to the general nature of batman messing the combo up.

This. Pred. is fun if you don't give a shit about the three medals and just use it as a "stalk a person and take them out" sandbox.

Combat challenges are frustrating since it seems (Extreme) levels are revolved around having at least 40x combos and Freeflow (NO MISSING IN ONE GO) combos since the Perfect/Dark Knight Bonus isn't much (only 500) which is bullshit on Extreme. I survived your bullshit group that had me outnumbered and had me countering like fucking Neo, and I only get 500 for that in Extreme? What bullshit.

Red

Papercuts said:
It's gotta be something like 15% player mistakes and 85% Batman being an idiot.

suaveric

After reading this last page I've been trying to get the party achievement. It's hard as hell! The whole game I've been skating by on my less than amazing fighting skills and now it's coming back to bite me in the ass.

TheSeks

suaveric said:
After reading this last page I've been trying to get the party achievement. It's hard as hell! The whole game I've been skating by on my less than amazing fighting skills and now it's coming back to bite me in the ass.

If you're on hard you can't do anything but get a feel for counters.

On Normal abuse the notice by going counter crazy. But first do the gel/line-launcher knock down and ground-pound dudes to thin the numbers out from kicking your ass.

suaveric

TheSeks said:
If you're on hard you can't do anything but get a feel for counters.

On Normal abuse the notice by going counter crazy. But first do the gel/line-launcher knock down and ground-pound dudes to thin the numbers out from kicking your ass.

I'm on normal but I still suck at it :) I did think of placing the gel ahead of time, but I was only able to KO 3-4 guys before the rest were up. I do try to keep the counters coming but it seems like someone always gets a swing in at me when I'm pummeling someone else.

Sean

Banned
These combat challenges just aren't any fun to me. I have gotten great times on all the Predator challenges (placed rank 80 in some of the later Extreme ones) but I can't seem to get the hang of combat at all. I'm coming nowhere close to the 40 hit combo that it seems you need.

The challenge rooms really could use an instant restart button like Trials HD. Not sure why it seems to take like 10 seconds to reload a single room that should already be loaded in the RAM…

Top Bottom