• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

DihcarEM

Just finished it, got my copy yesterday morning, been playing almost non stop on hard. Finished it this morning. Wow, what an awesome game. Unlike most here, this did not come out of left field for me. I remember people mocking the Batman photos but i was always a little bit optimistic that they might pull it off. Wolverine turned out average, this even after the medicore demo turned out fantastic.
Got the party trophy, didn't even know i was going to get one, haha. I struck first, after i died and tryed again i noticed that they weren't attacking, just laughing and mocking the Batman, nobody does that and gets away with it. And yes i agree, Batman would take care of them, he does have bigger fish to fry but that doesn't mean that he will let the small ones do what they want.
Batman would only delay if there was an imminent higher threat, like
for example when Ivy was becoming too powerful he stopped going after the Joker and focused first on Ivy.

My only complaint would be the lack of costumes, we only get the armoured one which does look nice. I mean Batman has got like a shitload of costumes from the comics right? I understand that they can't put in the Nolan Batman costumes. But i don't see why others weren't put in as extras. The Dark Knight returns,Batman Beyond,ect.
Hopefully it will be a very cheap or free dlc in the future.

Hope they make a sequel or perhaps
there will be a dlc were you go after two-face and Bane.
.:D

AniHawk

Feels good to get three medals on a challenge. Just got all medals on the normal predator challenges, and complete medals for two of the normal combat challenges. I would have had 3 medals for two of the extreme predator challenges. One, the guy wouldn't fall off the edge after Batman kicked him toward the edge. The second occurred because only two henchmen appeared near a ledge at a time for the grapple.

Kard8p3

DihcarEM said:
Just finished it, got my copy yesterday morning, been playing almost non stop on hard. Finished it this morning. Wow, what an awesome game. Unlike most here, this did not come out of left field for me. I remember people mocking the Batman photos but i was always a little bit optimistic that they might pull it off. Wolverine turned out average, this even after the medicore demo turned out fantastic.
Got the party trophy, didn't even know i was going to get one, haha. I struck first, after i died and tryed again i noticed that they weren't attacking, just laughing and mocking the Batman, nobody does that and gets away with it. And yes i agree, Batman would take care of them, he does have bigger fish to fry but that doesn't mean that he will let the small ones do what they want.
Batman would only delay if there was an imminent higher threat, like
for example when Ivy was becoming too powerful he stopped going after the Joker and focused first on Ivy.

My only complaint would be the lack of costumes, we only get the armoured one which does look nice. I mean Batman has got like a shitload of costumes from the comics right? I understand that they can't put in the Nolan Batman costumes. But i don't see why others weren't put in as extras. The Dark Knight returns,Batman Beyond,ect.
Hopefully it will be a very cheap or free dlc in the future.

Hope they make a sequel or perhaps
there will be a dlc were you go after two-face and Bane.
.:D

There are two other versions of the end where either killer croc or scarecrow reach out of the water at the end.

Stantron

Kard8p3 said:
There are two other versions of the end where either killer croc or scarecrow reach out of the water at the end.
Wow, did not know this. Random, or based on something?

So I tried playing through the game again and this time getting all of the Riddler challenges
and capturing Riddler and finding Amadeus Arkham
before I finished the game.

I didn't notice any difference in the ending, though this time I got Mr. Needles instead of Mr. Muscles.

KAOz

Short bus special
Kard8p3 said:
I hate the combat challenge rooms. I can't keep a combo going for anything. Batman will never go the direction I want him to. I was fine with the stealth sections till extreme. How am I supposed to blow up three different thugs at three different walls when there's only one wall in the area that's destructible? So if anyone can give me any combat tips or tips for later stealth challenge rooms please do. Oh and whats the best stealth challenge room to do all silent takedowns?

There are two destructible walls and one destructible ceiling. I didn't understand it at first either, but the ceiling does count.
Also, the other wall is after the vent right as you start, behind you. Hope that helps a little bit.

For the other stealth challenges, just study the places in Detective Mode until you know them well, and be very patient.

This game *finally* comes out here (NZ) tomorrow, I've been dying to play this game. :(

It's weird for such a big game to have such a delay here, they don't usually take this long.

FearX

Neo Member
great, my GOTY BUT i cant come any further, cause the game decides to crash at a certain point(
the point where you have to go down to Killer Croc and you enter the first room with a "ding dong, did anyone catch the game last night?" with a female voice
), and i cant really see myself go all the way again...

mainly cause some of the
scarecrow parts really fucked me over
, but someday im probably going through the game on hard, just to get fucked over by the first boss :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FearX said:
great, my GOTY BUT i cant come any further, cause the game decides to crash at a certain point(
the point where you have to go down to Killer Croc and you enter the first room with a "ding dong, did anyone catch the game last night?" with a female voice

mainly cause some of the
, but someday im probably going through the game on hard, just to get fucked over by the first boss :/

:lol :lol :lol

That IS a scarecrow part. Do the part again and let the game keep running.

Kard8p3

Papercuts said:
:lol :lol :lol

That IS a scarecrow part. Do the part again and let the game keep running.

I might have read it wrong but I'm pretty sure he knows that. I think he was saying its because of that kind of stuff that he might not play through it again.

Montresor

Kard8p3 said:

Like Stanton, I need more info. How do you trigger each of those specific outcomes?

Anyway, I'm very very close to 1000/1000 on this game. I only need to three-star the final predator challenge, and to three-star the last two combat challenges. Like I said before, I think Shock And Awe extreme will clinch my 100% / 1000 GS run. Honestly, I haven't fucking tried that challenge yet because I foresee the time limit and electricity to be annoying as fuck.

I loved the bit in the game's single player concerning the "World's Greatest Detective" achievement:

When I rescued Sharpie
---

(I have to do this little aside - god damn don't you guys love the nicknames the villains use in this game? Nicknames like Bat-baby, Bats, and the irrestistibly cute Mr. J and B-Man from the curvaceous Harley. <3 <3 <3)

Anyway, moving on,
so I rescue Sharpie (aka the Warden) in the secure cellblock, and I leave him locked and secure in the control room (for his own safety) and start going down the stairs. I see Sharpie again in the lower level, behind the glass window in which Cash was trapped. Golfham, I thought, this is fucking weird. I scan him and of course that solves a riddle and I realize the guy behind the glass is an eerie shapeshifter, a dangerous criminal, assuming the form of Sharpie. Mega cool.

Now about the World's Greatest Detective achievement,
when I realized I would have to locate and identify the spirit of the asylum's true identity, I immediately thought of Sharpie because of the elderly voice-over in the diary. So I ran over to the aforementioned secure cellblock as fast as I could. What I loved about this point, is that the shapeshifter confirmed my suspicions before I even had a chance to go up the stairs to the room in which I left Sharpie. The shapeshifter, now in the form of Commissioner Gordon (creepy) says "Hmmmm, interesting, the Warden left a little too quickly, don't you think??" Then I go up and witness deranged circular text in the place of Sharpie. I thought it was a nice touch.

And with that I'm off to bed. Hopefully.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kard8p3 said:
I might have read it wrong but I'm pretty sure he knows that. I think he was saying its because of that kind of stuff that he might not play through it again.

Oh, haha. I might've read it wrong, but it sounds like
he thinks the crash is real. Unless it actually is crashing.

Footos22

Kard8p3 said:
I hate the combat challenge rooms. I can't keep a combo going for anything. Batman will never go the direction I want him to. I was fine with the stealth sections till extreme. How am I supposed to blow up three different thugs at three different walls when there's only one wall in the area that's destructible? So if anyone can give me any combat tips or tips for later stealth challenge rooms please do. Oh and whats the best stealth challenge room to do all silent takedowns?

I did all the silent take downs on the records room challenge map.
It seems easier to stop them all grouping up just cos they so far apart to start with. I did it first time so must be easy ;/

3 Walls is pretty simple once you work out their patterns.

Start by turning round and going in the vent, run through plant gel
Go back to the start. Come out of little room and and turn right to climb up ladder
hook up to room in front of you, plant gel on celing,
Line launch over to the otherside where you plant gel on the final wall, by guard that always stays there (i call it the main wall)
hook up above this wall and line launch across to the opposite side. (no one will see you)
and crouch behind the barrier. Dont worry about the guard in front of you he doesnt walk round to you.
Now use your detective mode and look where you planted the gel on the celing,
As soon as you see the guard walking back to that area throw a sonic batarang down to the bottom floor where you planted the first charge.
Now wait for the guard to go check it as soon as he goes into that gap blow the charges and VOILA!

You can then quickly line launch over to the far left wall, go up the stairs then line launch the dumbass in the window. then its just an easy glide kick to victory.

De4th Strike said:
3 Walls is pretty simple once you work out their patterns.
It's even easier than this.

Walk out, pull yourself up to the side opposite the windowed room, line launch through the window to take out the guy who starts in there, jump back out the window and grapnel onto the roof, place two explosive gels on the two distinct parts of the ceiling (when I first realised that they counted separately, I laughed aloud with delight). Line launch across to the other wall the guy stands beside at the start, place gel, grapnel out, detonate all three while there are guys investigating the first body you dropped in the windowed room. There will be one or two guys left, and you make sure to get a glide kick to finish.

I was 12th in the world with this method at one point.

Shake Appeal said:

Walk out, pull yourself up to the side opposite the windowed room, line launch through the window to take out the guy who starts in there, jump back out the window and grapnel onto the roof, place two explosive gels on the two distinct parts of the ceiling (when I first realised that they counted separately, I laughed aloud with delight). Line launch across to the other wall the guy stands beside at the start, place gel, grapnel out, detonate all three while there are guys investigating the first body you dropped in the windowed room. There will be one or two guys left, and you make sure to get a glide kick to finish.

I was 12th in the world with this method at one point.

Oooh cheeky. I like. Let me guess, by now some git has already got it down to 20 seconds or something ridiculous. I can't believe how quick some people are.

Ponn

Banned
Beat the game on normal the other day, finished all the riddler challanges last night and got Worlds Greatest Detective. I also got the party pooper achievement without even knowing about it.
I saw all those guys in that room at the end with detective mode and was all tensed for a big fight. walked through the door and saw them lined up with those stupid party hats and just when they started clapping I just instictively decked the nearest goon and started my flurry of combos on everyone
pretty funny in retrospect now that I read what would have happened:lol :lol Oh well, i'm the GODDAMN BATMAN and they were criminal scum.

Footos22

Shake Appeal said:

place two explosive gels on the two distinct parts of the ceiling (when I first realised that they counted separately, I laughed aloud with delight)QUOTE]

Holy Polaris Batman! If only I knew that! :(

This game will never leave my collection. Can't wait for dlc.

De4th Strike said:
Shake Appeal said:

place two explosive gels on the two distinct parts of the ceiling (when I first realised that they counted separately, I laughed aloud with delight)QUOTE]

Holy Polaris Batman! If only I knew that! :(

This game will never leave my collection. Can't wait for dlc.

This.

There will never be enough of this game for me to play.

Dave1988

TheSeks said:
This. Pred. is fun if you don't give a shit about the three medals and just use it as a "stalk a person and take them out" sandbox.

Combat challenges are frustrating since it seems (Extreme) levels are revolved around having at least 40x combos and Freeflow (NO MISSING IN ONE GO) combos since the Perfect/Dark Knight Bonus isn't much (only 500) which is bullshit on Extreme. I survived your bullshit group that had me outnumbered and had me countering like fucking Neo, and I only get 500 for that in Extreme? What bullshit.

You get a bonus of 5000 for clearing the four rounds without a scratch.

BeeDog

God, now I know never to pre-order from HMV again, ffs! Still haven't gotten my copy, and it was shipped last week.

Montresor

:lol Speaking of "the goddamn Batman," I couldn't help but crack a smile whenever I read "The Batman" in the character bios. It just seems off to me, since I previously thought it was an intentionally funny moniker just like the goddamn Batman.

What is the deal with the collectibles? Should I knock out each zone as soon as I get to it? Is there a point where I can never go back to a zone, or can I just wait until near the end of the story and collect my little heart away?

Also
the Scarecrow parts are fucking awesome

hamchan

suaveric said:
I'm on normal but I still suck at it :) I did think of placing the gel ahead of time, but I was only able to KO 3-4 guys before the rest were up. I do try to keep the counters coming but it seems like someone always gets a swing in at me when I'm pummeling someone else.

If you want to kill them all quickly, if you have the takedown upgrade and the critical hit upgrade, just follow hit, hit, hit, takedown, hit, hit, takedown, hit, hit, takedown etc.
You're invulnerable while doing takedowns as well. Just remember that enemies can hit you when you do a ground pound, so avoid those.

ShallNoiseUpon said:
What is the deal with the collectibles? Should I knock out each zone as soon as I get to it? Is there a point where I can never go back to a zone, or can I just wait until near the end of the story and collect my little heart away?

You can go back to every zone i think and some challenges you won't be able to complete without some abilities. I personally just waited until the end.

Montresor

ShallNoiseUpon said:

Also
the Scarecrow parts are fucking awesome

Well some of the collectibles will be impossible to get early on. Think Zelda / Metroid. You'll need upgrades / new gadgets.

Just take your time, remember inaccesible collectibles, and return to them whenever your arsenal gets beefed.

You can wait until the end of story, I believe. You can even continue searching for them after you beat the final boss. There MIGHT be one missable riddle, but I would need someone else to confirm this.

FYI, each zone has a
secrets map, kind of like the satellite downloads you get in Metroid Corruption for Wii... the secrets map, if you should be lucky enough to find it, marks the location of each zone's collectible on the map for you.

nourali2 said:
You can wait until the end of story, I believe. You can even continue searching for them after you beat the final boss. There MIGHT be one missable riddle, but I would need someone else to confirm this.
Which one do you think is missable, out of curiosity?

Montresor

Shake Appeal said:
Which one do you think is missable, out of curiosity?

Ra's Al Ghul in Dr. Young's office. I vaguely remember reading about this early on in the thread. Anyhow, I was extremely thorough in my first playthrough and I managed to scan his body on my first visit to Young's office. I returned to her office after facing the final boss and Ghul's body is fucking missing.

Which begs the question,
Where did he go? Can I encounter him in-game?

nourali2 said:
Ra's Al Ghul in Dr. Young's office. I vaguely remember reading about this early on in the thread. Anyhow, I was extremely thorough in my first playthrough and I managed to scan his body on my first visit to Young's office. I returned to her office after facing the final boss and Ghul's body is fucking missing.

Which begs the question,

Body is still there for me, I scanned it during my playthrough then backtracked through to collect all of the other riddles last night and the body was definately still there?

Montresor

SmokinGunZ1981 said:
Body is still there for me, I scanned it during my playthrough then backtracked through to collect all of the other riddles last night and the body was definately still there?

Ugh, I hope I didn't miss his body, that'd be embarrassing. :lol I thought I read on gaf that it does disappear... Perhaps I read something wrong, went back to her office, and only noticed the "absence" of the body because I expected it.

I'll check her office again this afternoon.

Question: Have you already beaten the final boss?

LiK

i didn't find any missable Riddles. i continued my search after i beat the game to complete them and boy is the end of it satisfying. although i kinda found over 85% on my own without a guide so if you have the Riddler maps, it's pretty easy to find them all on your own the first time.

Kydd BlaZe

Finally played this for over an hour last night. Very impressed with the visuals and presentation thus far. Game looks better than Gears of War 2, IMO. Much cleaner, and much more crisp. The environments are highly detailed. This is probably the best use of the Unreal Engine 3, i've ever seen (even with Gears of War 2 and Mirror's Edge out on the market).

FearX said:

mainly cause some of the

Oh man...you just got
Hideo'd.

The amount of people returning MGS because of the fight with Pyscho Mantis back in the day was insane.

Patience sir. Watch the cinematic.

Although I lost my fuckin' mind as well because I thought I lost ANOTHER 360...

Montresor

Another question for you guys:

When and how did you find out that there were riddles that required you to
line up the two pieces (curly figure and dot) of an interrogation mark in detective mode? Bricks were shat
?

I spent freaking ages scanning the top of the question mark in the mansion, not knowing what the fuck I was doing wrong. "Solution partially detected" kept flashing on my screen over and over again. Then I accidentally found both pieces of the question mark in the medical facility, and things fell into place from there.

nourali2 said:

Which begs the question,
I found that one while playing, so I have no idea if it is unavailable once the game is complete. It seems unlikely that they would remove it, though.

nourali2 said:

line up the two pieces (curly figure and dot) of an interrogation mark in detective mode? Bricks were shat
?

I spent freaking ages scanning the top of the question mark in the mansion, not knowing what the fuck I was doing wrong. "Solution partially detected" kept flashing on my screen over and over again. Then I accidentally found both pieces of the question mark in the medical facility, and things fell into place from there.

It was just luck for me. Can't remember when I figured it out though.

LiK

nourali2 said:

?

same here. those were the ones i missed the most. the game doesn't tell you about them, IIRC

Sweet fancy moses, the last boss is completely pissing me off. I damn near threw the controller at my tv screen last night.

I understand that I need to use the grapple on Joker to pull him down, but he keeps on throwing wave after wave of thugs at me. Every time I try to latch on to him, one of the thugs gets up and sucker punches me. So I have to start all over again. I've been decent at the combat up until now and I keep on getting my ass handed to me by these stupid thugs. I managed to pull down Joker twice but the third wave just completely owned my ass.

Anyone have any advice? Any tips on beating this?

LiK

The Wise Old Man said:
Sweet fancy moses, the last boss is completely pissing me off. I damn near threw the controller at my tv screen last night.

I understand that I need to use the grapple on Joker to pull him down, but he keeps on throwing wave after wave of thugs at me. Every time I try to latch on to him, one of the thugs gets up and sucker punches me. So I have to start all over again. I've been decent at the combat up until now and I keep on getting my ass handed to me by these stupid thugs. I managed to pull down Joker twice but the third wave just completely owned my ass.

easy
just clear out ALL thugs and you can pull him down with no trouble. you shouldn't grapple him until you've taken out all the thugs. i left one thug alive by accident once and he punched me during a grapple which made more guys spawn in. so make sure all of them are down. i beat him on my first try.

Montresor

The Wise Old Man said:

Kill the thugs before you even touch Joker. Sorry if you are already doing this, but from your post it seems like you're letting stragglers hang around while you try to pull the Joker down.

Right, There are vents and explodable walls out of my reach, I guessed that the unlockables would let me reach them, but thinking about it i don't see how they can ? They're basically just too high for me to get to, do you get gadgets not in the upgrade menu or something.

I'm quite a bit in to the game
just about to face bane

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Open world for a sequel would be a very bad thing.

I would rather see more of a mystery storyline similar to Hush or Long Halloween involving several different villains & characters.

The Batcave would be used as a hub for training your skills, developing new gadgets, analysing clues /evidence.

Then as the story progressed, more and more individual locations around the city would unlock, with batman able to travel between them via brief batmobile/batwing cutscenes. Locations would either be indoors or Mirrors edge style rooftop sequences.

No need for true open world but a real variety of locations around Gotham which Batman could return to for more clues etc.

NIGHT-

Jamesearlcash said:
Right, There are vents and explodable walls out of my reach, I guessed that the unlockables would let me reach them, but thinking about it i don't see how they can ? They're basically just too high for me to get to, do you get gadgets not in the upgrade menu or something.

I'm quite a bit in to the game
just about to face bane

Yep
you get certain gadgets after beating bosses

Xater

mr afghan jones said:
Open world for a sequel would be a very bad thing.

I would rather see more of a mystery storyline similar to Hush or Long Halloween involving several different villains & characters.

The Batcave would be used as a hub for training your skills, developing new gadgets, analysing clues /evidence.

Then as the story progressed, more and more individual locations around the city would unlock, with batman able to travel between them via brief batmobile/batwing cutscenes. Locations would either be indoors or Mirrors edge style rooftop sequences.

No need for true open world but a real variety of locations around Gotham which Batman could return to for more clues etc.

Kind of like in Metroid Prime 3? That could work.

Ponn01 said:
Beat the game on normal the other day, finished all the riddler challanges last night and got Worlds Greatest Detective. I also got the party pooper achievement without even knowing about it.
I saw all those guys in that room at the end with detective mode and was all tensed for a big fight. walked through the door and saw them lined up with those stupid party hats and just when they started clapping I just instictively decked the nearest goon and started my flurry of combos on everyone
pretty funny in retrospect now that I read what would have happened:lol :lol Oh well, i'm the GODDAMN BATMAN and they were criminal scum.

What happens if you don't fight them? I'm pretty sure i pounced on them as soon as i got in.

Top Bottom