• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Ponn

Banned
Messypandas said:
What happens if you don't fight them? I'm pretty sure i pounced on them as soon as i got in.

they just stand their clapping and cheering for you not attacking you

LiK said:
easy
just clear out ALL thugs and you can pull him down with no trouble. you shouldn't grapple him until you've taken out all the thugs. i left one thug alive by accident once and he punched me during a grapple which made more guys spawn in. so make sure all of them are down. i beat him on my first try.

Yeah, I've been doing that... Then he just sends in another wave. My button mashing skills aren't quick enough to yank him down before I get sucker punched by a thug. It seems like there's an unfairly small window of opportunity to get this done in...

LiK

The Wise Old Man said:
Yeah, I've been doing that... Then he just sends in another wave. My button mashing skills aren't quick enough to yank him down before I get sucker punched by a thug. It seems like there's an unfairly small window of opportunity to get this done in...

really? that never happened to me. interesting.

The Wise Old Man said:

When you have only 3 or fewer thugs left, just hit em with batarangs or the batclaws to knock em down long enough to pull the boss down. Wait till his back is turned of course.

The Wise Old Man said:

I'm not exactly a ninja when it comes to button hammering but I managed to do it. I even managed to do it when a few bad guys were running around. (busy trying to open the gun cabinet)

Methinks you're doing something wrong. The "unfairly small window" isn't all that unfair, nor small.

LiK said:
really? that never happened to me. interesting.

Yeah, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but everytime I finish off a wave, he yells "go get him boys" or something like that and a bunch more bad guys jump in. Soooooo frustrating.

Ponn

Banned
The Wise Old Man said:
Yeah, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but everytime I finish off a wave, he yells "go get him boys" or something like that and a bunch more bad guys jump in. Soooooo frustrating.

Are you playing it on Hard?

LiK

The Wise Old Man said:

hm, there's gotta be something you're doing wrong. i really had no trouble with him. i just focused on taking out everyone and then once they're all down, i went for the grapple and pulled him down quickly for the hit. rinse and repeat.

Xater

LiK said:
hm, there's gotta be something you're doing wrong. i really had no trouble with him. i just focused on taking out everyone and then once they're all down, i went for the grapple and pulled him down quickly for the hit. rinse and repeat.

Same for me.

Ponn01 said:
Are you playing it on Hard?

I played it on Hard and the only time the scenario that Wise Old Man describes happened to me was when I got greedy and tried to pull the Joker down when one of his thugs was standing beside me.

I hook the Joker.
Thug punches me in the face.
Joker says, "Go get him boys!" and the cycle starts over again with a bunch of thugs pouring out again.

It punishes you for gambling and losing.

Ponn

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
I played it on Hard and the only time the scenario that Wise Old Man describes happened to me was when I got greedy and tried to pull the Joker down when one of his thugs was standing beside me.

I hook the Joker.
Thug punches me in the face.
Joker says, "Go get him boys!" and the cycle starts over again with a bunch of thugs pouring out again.

It punishes you for gambling and losing.

yea, then I don't know. I beat it on normal and did the same thing everyone else did. Maybe Old Man really pissed The Joker off or something.

The Wise Old Man said:
Playing it on normal. A big part of the problem is that I breezed through the game by mashing buttons in combat... And my noob button mashing is finally failing me! Argh!

Maybe...MAYBE you're taking too long to burn down each wave of thugs? The clock ticks away and then the Joker refreshes the wave with more guys?

Just speculating here. I can't duplicate it because I'm at work. Get thee a videocam sir and let us watch you play.

LiK

The Wise Old Man said:
Playing it on normal. A big part of the problem is that I breezed through the game by mashing buttons in combat... And my noob button mashing is finally failing me! Argh!

i had more trouble with the fight before the final one. there were a lot more goons so you did alright. i think you should check out some youtube videos of the final fight and see if that helps you. i haven't checked but i assume they exist already.

Don't know if this is the same on normal, but on hard, I noticed that if I did not take out the baddies fast enough,
I would miss my opportunity to pull Joker back down. He turns around and makes a remark about the helicopter but he doesn't stay like that. And when he turns back around, he throws another wave of guys in. Once I figured out I had to be efficient with my beatings, he got pretty easy. 1-2-3.

Finally beat the first shock and awe challenge. FINALLY! I'm also getting closer to freeflow perfection. I have one question though. How do you get the batclaw to come out quickly? I watched a video where the guy didn't even aim the claw, it just came out. If I could figure that out, I'll definitely get freeflow perfection. The bonuses for getting a majority of the moves in your combo reaaaaally helps your score.

5000 for all moves
3500 for doing all but 1 move
2000 for doing all but 2 moves

Once I started adding some flare to my combos, I was getting great scores and not only beat shock and awe, but the 2 after it as well. Here's hoping I can keep this up. :D

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
iratA said:
Picking this up tomorrow. Can't wait to get in on the action, Joker your ass will be mine.

Ahh, to be a B:AA virgin again. How I envy you.

Xater

LiK said:
i had more trouble with the fight before the final one. there were a lot more goons so you did alright. i think you should check out some youtube videos of the final fight and see if that helps you. i haven't checked but i assume they exist already.

Or he could get better at the fighting by doing some challenges.

Biff

Anyone still looking for that 40+ freeflow combo achievement/trophy?

Found a pretty easy place to do it, pending the challenge being unlocked. I screwed up at 'The Party' and missed my in-game chance.

Sewer Bat (Extreme) has 8 unarmed guys in the first round. Don't use anything but punches (critical strike timing is crucial) and counters, and you will hit mid-40s with a perfect freeflow round.

I was able to get the trophy on my second try :)

Xater said:
Or he could get better at the fighting by doing some challenges.
Definitely do this. I was incredibly surprised how my fighting became much more fluid after trying to beat just the first challenge.

FearX

Neo Member
bigdaddygamebot said:
Oh man...you just got
Hideo'd.

The amount of people returning MGS because of the fight with Pyscho Mantis back in the day was insane.

Patience sir. Watch the cinematic.

Although I lost my fuckin' mind as well because I thought I lost ANOTHER 360...

well it sounds like my xbox is going really fucking owned, making noises i never liked...

well another go at it then...

Confused101, you double-tap RT (or R2 on PS3, I guess) to quick-batclaw.

98% completion now. Only the last two extreme predator maps left to do. :O

Here's a question.

Apparently there's an "Action View" for each gadget? One of the tips says so on a loading screen.

Anyone know which button to press to see "Action View"?

Dyno

It finally hit me. What this game reminds me of is Sid Meier's Pirates. It's a collection of minigames tied together with a story. The thing is the atmosphere is so nice and the story well done enough for it to take me a while to place it.

iratA

Vilix said:
Ahh, to be a B:AA virgin again. How I envy you.

Yeah I've been on a media blackout for this one too. But I'm trying to keep my hype level under control, I just don't want to be disappointed.

LiK

bigdaddygamebot said:
Here's a question.

Apparently there's an "Action View" for each gadget? One of the tips says so on a loading screen.

yea, i never figured it out.

The Wise Old Man said:
Well then fuck it. Joker has it in for me. I'm at 91% complete and I'll be goddammned if this deters me from 100%ing this game.
I kind of had the same issue. The combat was fun, but I was never forced to develop my skills. The Ivy fight was more of a hassle for me, though.

With Joker, my trick was to be waiting for the guys to hop down from the right side, and if you're lucky you can knock one or two of them into the electricity. It's the second wave that gave me fits. Use cape stuns or the quick claw attack to daze the guys with knives and as fast as you can. That should help ensure you're ready for the second window against Joker. The third wave of attackers is more like the first than the second, so you should be able to handle them easily.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Here's a question.

I know with the Batarang you can throw it with Right Bumper (R1 maybe on PS3?) instead of Right Trigger and the camera flies with it all the way to the goon. I never tried it with any other gadgets.

Dizzle24

Action cam on PS3 is R2.

Hold L1 to aim gadget, and press R2 instead of R1.

Edit: You might still have to trigger gadget with R1, but let go and hold R2 once initiated.
Specifically for Zip Line and Batclaw. Not sure since I am at work and can't test.

Just try both methods :lol

bigdaddygamebot said:
Here's a question.

For the most part you use R2 on the PS3 version to get action cam. They're pretty good fun. Not sure if all the gadgets have it though.

Edit: Beaten.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
hamchan said:
I don't know why people are button mashing, the combat is so fluid and easy you really have no need to.
It's not easy if you're trying to get a good combo score, I've found. I've had no problems surviving, but keeping the combo going is difficult (it breaks so easily).

EekTheKat

One thing I noticed about the combat is after the 2nd hit Batman's strike animations have a bit of a longer wind-up. What tends to happen to me is at super close range the thug's standard punch will beat Batman's wind up time on his power strikes most of the time.

Basically Batman does a jab,jab, and would continuously chain power hits after that, and it's the power hits that tend to lose sometimes to a simple punch from a thug occasionally.

It's not an issue though if you're flying across the room from one target to another (which I think was one of the tips in the game). Too many targets up close though and the odds of a thug sneaking in a punch is fairly high.

Also, GnP tends to leave Batman open for a strike if you try it while a thug is still standing. Usually it'll be the thug just slightly out of view of the camera as well, that will rush up to you and throw a punch if you GnP.

dark10x said:
It's not easy if you're trying to get a good combo score, I've found. I've had no problems surviving, but keeping the combo going is difficult (it breaks so easily).
I've actually found it quite easy to keep a combo going. I was able to get the 40x combo achievement in the medical center
where the guys jump down from behind you in the room where the one doctor is restrained.

What helps me a lot are the audio cues when I'm in freeflow, letting me know when I should make my next strike.

hamchan

dark10x said:

True. I guess it is up to reaction time and decision making about whether or not to continue attacking or to counter an attack, and the reaction window isn't really that big.

Maybe I'm just good at that sort of gameplay. The only thing that really throws me off are those dudes with the knives and shock batons. Whenever I get my takedown special I immediately use it on those guys :D

Once you got a combo going, Batman will get himself to any of the dudes you're fighting no matter how far away they are. Just push your stick in their direction and press X. As long as they aren't about to punch you, you're combo will always be good.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Here's a question.

I think you press the right bumper instead of the right trigger.

RavenFox

Banned
The Wise Old Man said:
Electricity is your friend in this battle. Utilize it.

hamchan

deepbrown said:
Who thought their console
had broken before the third Scarecrow.
So amazing.

I did actually, especially since my 360 is second hand.

I freaking loved all the Scarecrow bits. Each one just got better and better as the game continued, finally culminating in the awesomeness that is the third encounter.

deepbrown said:
Who thought their console
had broken before the third Scarecrow.
So amazing.

Only two other games I can think of that have done this:
Eternal Darkness and MGS
. Both were awesome. This game definitely ranks up there with them. It's so damned nice to see a liscenced game made by a developer that actually gives shit about the property.

AshMcCool

I prepared the Room with explosives while those thugs were clapping at me. They kept clapping till I detonated the whole stuff. Freaking Idiots! :lol

Top Bottom