• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I tried out the demo now that I finally watched Batman Begins, and wow... WOW.

WOW!

I love this game!

Okay, how far into the game (storyline wise)? I just
broke into Arkham Mansion, in search of Dr. Young
. 20%? 30%?

LiK

brendanrfoley said:
I love this game!

Okay, how far into the game (storyline wise)? I just
broke into Arkham Mansion, in search of Dr. Young
. 20%? 30%?

you're still pretty early.

Dave1988

Crewnh said:
So any idea if Rocksteady is planning to do any future DLC?

Oh, and for those who bought the CE, how is the Crime Alley Map?

Visually it looks nice but nothing spectacular. I like the music that starts to play on round 3 and 4. It's also on of the wider stages like Sewer Bat. The enemies in this stage have access only to cinder blocks and iron pipes. No guns. You can't play as the Joker in it. There's no Extreme version of this stage either.

I know this has probably been asked beofre, but I dont want to read back through this thread due to possible unmarked spoilers, but can I decide to go hunting for the games collectibles at any point before the endgame happens?

I know I missed a few during the course of the story, but I can always get back to every place again, right?

MMaRsu

Keyser Soze said:
I know this has probably been asked beofre, but I dont want to read back through this thread due to possible unmarked spoilers, but can I decide to go hunting for the games collectibles at any point before the endgame happens?

I know I missed a few during the course of the story, but I can always get back to every place again, right?

after as well

LiK

Keyser Soze said:

yes

Dabanton

Does anyone else play with subtitles on?

Reading and listening to the goons is hilarious i like the goon that killed
his sister because the Joker said to and the other goon say's Joker kept asking him to do the same thing even though he had no sister, so he ran over the first woman he saw
while driving the Joker about and said the Joker was pleased. :lol

Or the goon that Joker tells that his going to have
his wife killed then says as a sign of his mercy he'll just turn her into a cripple her instead.

LiK

Dabanton said:

i did at first but it pulled me outta the game (esp during the sweet long intro) so i turned it off after 1 minute. i could hear everyone clearly so i didn't need it.

Been trying to find this sketch for weeks:

2nksb55.jpg

Going to rent the game as soon as its back into my local Blockbuster. All copies out at the moment, so must be a popular game!!

Downhome

Well I finally gave in and went through the last door, just beat the game on hard.

Whew, what a ride!

Now to go back and pick up the last few hidden items that I missed, but truth be told, it's only a handful.

I want more!!! :D

mattso

I'm playing my 2nd playthrough on hard now and I just got to the
first scarecrow encounter. I don't know if I didn't notice it or he didn't do it last time but this time he said at one point "I will tear your mind apart" and for a split second changed batman's character model into scarecrow's.

Dizzle24

mattso said:
I'm playing my 2nd playthrough on hard now and I just got to the
first scarecrow encounter. I don't know if I didn't notice it or he didn't do it last time but this time he said at one point "I will tear your mind apart" and for a split second changed batman's character model into scarecrow's.

Yeah.
everytime you see lightning flash on the scarecrow "Boss fight" levels, Batman is switched to Scarecrow for that quick second.

Xellos

Finished this game last night and I really enjoyed it. Presentation wise it nails the Batman characters and settings, and feels like a cross between the animated series and the comics. Combat is outstanding and I appreciate the well done stealth sections. The goons are a bit on the stupid side, but then again they wouldn't be goons if they were bright. Seeing them freak out as Batman picks them off is a great touch. I think it's getting a little overrated as IMO it does get a bit repetitive towards the end and the last boss is kind of anticlimactic in that he
just sends waves of goons after you
. I had fun while it lasted, but I won't be going for 100% or replaying it anytime soon. Still, I think Arkham Asylum is one of the top games of this generation and the best comic book game ever.

Finished the game for the second time today and found all the Riddler Challenges and solved the identity of the Ghost of Arkham. Going to play at least once more on Hard. Diving into Challenge Mode as well. Some of the later ones are pretty damn difficult. I'm shooting for 1000/1000 in this, but the Challenge Mode stuff is going to be pretty tough.

ToyMachine228 said:
Finished the game for the second time today and found all the Riddler Challenges and solved the identity of the Ghost of Arkham. Going to play at least once more on Hard. Diving into Challenge Mode as well. Some of the later ones are pretty damn difficult. I'm shooting for 1000/1000 in this, but the Challenge Mode stuff is going to be pretty tough.
show off :D

SecretBonusPoint said:
Been trying to find this sketch for weeks:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2nksb55.jpg[IMG]

Going to rent the game as soon as its back into my local Blockbuster. All copies out at the moment, so must be a popular game!![/QUOTE]
Gears of batman?

Fucking camera in the combat challenges, I'll be aiming at a guy to attack him after the move I'm doing ends, then the fucking camera will move just as I press the attack button and suddenly I'm attacking a stun guy, 18 bats might be my limit now. You don't really notice it during the game until you are actually trying to chain a high combo together.

I also keep apparently trying to aim a batarang when I'm quite clearly double tapping LT, way to go Bats.

Assemble!

I'm a couple hours in, and the only thing I wish is that the game wasn't so stop/start. Maybe it settles in, but I'm having a really great time with it. Fantastic game.

Darkflight said:
Fucking camera in the combat challenges, I'll be aiming at a guy to attack him after the move I'm doing ends, then the fucking camera will move just as I press the attack button and suddenly I'm attacking a stun guy
My favorite is throwing a guy then trying to ground pound him only for Bats to jump BACKWARDS to some other other downed guy even though the left stick is clearly pointing toward the thrown guy. The ground pound seems to be the only move that I can't really control to the fullest.

Hyunkel6

Darkflight said:
Fucking camera in the combat challenges, I'll be aiming at a guy to attack him after the move I'm doing ends, then the fucking camera will move just as I press the attack button and suddenly I'm attacking a stun guy, 18 bats might be my limit now. You don't really notice it during the game until you are actually trying to chain a high combo together.

Isn't there a way to change the camera in options? I seem to recall someone mentioning that changing the camera makes a huge difference for challenges.

EzLink

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
Isn't there a way to change the camera in options? I seem to recall someone mentioning that changing the camera makes a huge difference for challenges.

You can turn camera assist off, but so far I haven't found it to make all that much of a difference in the challenges. Maybe I will though when I start going for some of the extreme maps

Dude Abides

Banned
I've spent the last two nights getting frustrated during the fight where you have to
take out the Titan and three waves of thugs in a small-ass room with some electrical barriers.
Any tips other than "get better"? I can
eliminate the titan but there will be 20 guys left
and I'll have only a bar or two of health and they'll eventually get me.

Jhoan

I beat it on Monday on Hard. The last boss wasn't too hard although
it was fairly easy unfortunately, The Joker was a pushover, I mean he didn't even put up much of a fight other than the arm swipes that he did. I was disappointed.
I got almost all the Riddler's challenges except for
3 Joker Teeth in the Mansion which I've tried hard to look for but to no avail, and two riddles in the elevator shaft in the Asylum.
Other than that I gotta do the Challenges and that's it. It was a pretty good game. I enjoyed it.

Dude Abides said:
I've spent the last two nights getting frustrated during the fight where you have to
take out the Titan and three waves of thugs in a small-ass room with some electrical barriers.
Don't worry too much about the
Titan, just quick-batarang and evade when you hear or see him charging. Focus instead on the normal goons, and on keeping your combo high. When you can ride the downed Titan,
use that to send your combo into the stratosphere.

Dizzle24

Dude Abides said:

Piggy back the Titan, keep hitting attack and he will pretty much wipe out an entire round of dudes in 1 go.

Jipan said:
I was disappointed. I got almost all the Riddler's challenges except for
3 Joker Teeth in the Mansion which I've tried hard to look for but to no avail
For some reason a lot of people seem to miss
the three in the attic above the warden's office.

EzLink said:
TDK >>> BB

:D :D :D
My ass.
One thing both BB and Arkham Asylum nailed that TDK didn't was the atmosphere of Gotham City. Gloomy, dark colors and imagery... not some Michael Mann-ish blue color scheme over Chicago.

They're BOTH great films, mind you, but BB is a superior film in many ways. The aforementioned atmosphere being one of them. But anyway, we're going off-topic, so yeah. That is all! :p

Dude Abides

Banned
Thanks for the replies.

Shake Appeal said:
Don't worry too much about the
Titan, just quick-batarang and evade when you hear or see him charging. Focus instead on the normal goons, and on keeping your combo high. When you can ride the downed Titan,
use that to send your combo into the stratosphere.

But don't I have to
beat him down to get into piggyback position? Or will he eventually get there just from batarangs and blindly running into walls?

Dizzle24 said:
Piggy back the Titan, keep hitting attack and he will pretty much wipe out an entire round of dudes in 1 go.

I have been doing that, but he doesn't seem to kill them, just knock them down. I'm sure it takes some of their health but it doesn't kill them. I think perhaps I have a problem with hitting Y too early and breaking my combo.

Dude Abides said:
But don't I have to
beat him down to get into piggyback position? Or will he eventually get there just from batarangs and blindly running into walls?
Well,
beating on him helps, but anytime he runs blindly into a wall it takes health off him. It's usually better to let him hurt himself than to lose your combo and get beaten by thugs because you're trying to get punches off on the Titan.

But really, I have little sympathy, because this was the fight I chose to
get the Mano a Mano achievement, meaning I couldn't use batarangs at all, and had to rely on the Titan charging into the electric gates to stun him. Managing that, while fighting the waves of thugs, while playing on Hard, was a bitch.
;)

Dude Abides

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Well,
beating on him helps, but anytime he runs blindly into a wall it takes health off him. It's usually better to let him hurt himself than to lose your combo and get beaten by thugs because you're trying to get punches off on the Titan.

Ok, thanks, I'll adjust my strategy.

But really, I have little sympathy, because this was the fight I chose to
get the Mano a Mano achievement, meaning I couldn't use batarangs at all, and had to rely on the Titan charging into the electric gates to stun him. Managing that, while fighting the waves of thugs, while playing on Hard, was a bitch.
;)

You, sir, are a better (bat)man than I.

Picked this up today after the glowing reviews it received. Just
defeated Bane(?)
. Game looks great, combat is simple but very rewarding,
'boss' battles have been a little boring so far. Baterang them as they charge, dodge so they run into the wall, attack! Please say they put more thought into the 'boss' battles later on?

EzLink

Banned
Revolutionary said:
My ass.
One thing both BB and Arkham Asylum nailed that TDK didn't was the atmosphere of Gotham City. Gloomy, dark colors and imagery... not some Michael Mann-ish blue color scheme over Chicago.

They're BOTH great films, mind you, but BB is a superior film in many ways. The aforementioned atmosphere being one of them. But anyway, we're going off-topic, so yeah. That is all! :p

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then :p TDK is my favorite movie of all time. Of course I also have copious amounts of love for Begins too, I just don't think its nearly as brilliant as the sequel. But to each his own!

eXistor

I didn't really think the game was going to be any good (as I'm sure a lot of you did), but after the stellar reviews I just had to give it a shot. I'm so glad I did, it may not be the best game of the year or anything, but it's a damn fine game and I was very pleasantly surprised to see it has a fair amount of exploration in it (something I value a lot in games). Now I wish I preordered the CE.

MMaRsu

eXistor said:
I didn't really think the game was going to be any good (as I'm sure a lot of you did), but after the stellar reviews I just had to give it a shot. I'm so glad I did, it may not be the best game of the year or anything, but it's a damn fine game and I was very pleasantly surprised to see it has a fair amount of exploration in it (something I value a lot in games). Now I wish I preordered the CE.

But it is one of the best games to come out this year. Even looking at some of the games that still have to come out..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Figure this'll help if people are missing pred challenges. It helped me (all I have let is the freeflow challenges and the hard mode)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=952337&topic=51121979 said:
Alright, hopefully this will be stickied as to help people. I've uploaded all playthroughs of all the predator challenge rooms, all the way from Silent Knight to Invisible Predator (EXTREME). These guides will help you get 3 Batarangs on each, however, these are not the quickets ways to achieve this. In order to get a high place on the leaderboards, you will need to devise your own strategies, possibly reworking mine.

I will put a difficulty ranking on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being easiest, 5 being hardest) on every single challenge room, and this is based off of my opinion. I will also post every single challenge included in each room, as well as their description, and my best time.

SILENT KNIGHT
Best Time: 1:09.17
Enemies: 6
Difficulty: 1
SILENCE IS GOLDEN: Sneak up behind a henchman and perform a silent takedown.
(Y - Silent Takedown - MUST BE CROUCHING WHILST BEHIND A HENCHMAN)
BLAST ZONE: Explode a weak wall into a henchman to knock him out.
(LT + RT to plant explosive gel, LT + RB to detonate - MUST HAVE EXPLOSIVE GEL EQUIPPED)
MIND YOUR HEAD: Knock down a henchman with a batarang and then take him down.
(LT to quick throw batarang, RT + Y to ground takedown)
VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAJd9XNoO4U

RECORD BREAKER
Best Time: 1:27.09
Difficulty: 2
FALL GUY: Batclaw a henchman and pull him off a walkway to take him down.
(Double Tap RT to quick Batclaw - HENCHMAN MUST FALL OVER THE LEDGE TO THE FLOOR)
OVER THE LEDGE: While hanging from a ledge, grab a henchman and pull him off the ledge.
(Y - Ledge Takedown - WHILE HANGING FROM A LEDGE)
ROUND THE BEND: Use corner cover to hide and then take down an approaching henchman.
(Y - Corner Takedown - WITH HENCHMAN NEARBY CORNER)
VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amc-VaYZrI0

SURVIVAL TACTICS
Best Time: 2:04.13
Difficulty: 2
SMASH LANDING: Smash through a glass ceiling onto a henchman below to take him out.
(Y - Glass Takedown - MUST BE ABOVE GLASS CEILING WITH HENCHMAN UNDERNEATH)
HANG TIME: Perform an Inverted Takedown from a vantage point (Upgrade Required).
(Y - Inverted Takedown - MUST BE ON A GARGOYLE WITH HENCHMAN UNDERNEATH)
BREAK YOUR FALL: Drop down on top of a henchman and then knock him out on the ground.
(Y - Ground Takedown - MUST HAVE LANDED ON TOP OF HENCHMAN BEFOREHAND)
VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GORGk21zic

INVISIBLE PREDATOR
Best Time: 3:33.45
Enemies: 8
Difficulty: 3
WATCH YOUR STEP: Spray the explosive gel on the floor to stun a patrolling henchman (Auto Proximity Detonation Required)
(LT + RT to spray explosive gel - MUST NOT BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH SONIC BATARANG - MUST NOT MANUAL DETONATE GEL)
CROWD CONTROL: Take down 3 henchmen at once with one wall using Explosive Gel.
(LT + RT to spray explosive gel, LT + RB to detonate explosive gel - MUST RENDER HENCHMEN UNCONSCIOUS)
GRATE MOVES: Jump out of a floor grate and take down a henchman.
(RT + A to enter grate, A to exit grate, Y to takedown - HENCHMAN MUST BE NEAR YOU WHEN YOU JUMP OUT AND TAKEDOWN)
VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNgAFpGFZU

SILENT KNIGHT (EXTREME)
Best Time: 3:21.31
THREE FOR THREE: Take down 3 henchmen with 3 different walls using explosive gel.
(LT + RT to spray explosive gel - MUST RENDER 3 HENCHMEN UNCONSCIOUS)
BREAK THROUGH: Line Launch through a window with a henchman on the other side.
(LT + RT to use Line Launcher - MUST SEE KICK HENCHMAN ON OTHER SIDE OF WINDOW)
AERIAL ASSAULT: Glide Kick a henchman and then knock him out on the ground.
(X to Glide Kick from raised surface, RT + Y to ground takedown - HENCHMAN MUST BE GLIDE KICKED BEFORE RENDERED UNCONSCIOUS)
VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdsUBreBmmk

RECORD BREAKER (EXTREME)
Best Time: 2:25.07
CHAIN REACTION: Kick 2 henchmen in one move using the Line Launcher.
(LT + RT to use Line Launcher - MUST KICK BOTH HENCHMEN KNOCKING THEM BOTH DOWN)
THREE IN A ROW: Knock down 3 henchmen with one Remote Control Batarang (Upgrade Required).
(LT + RT to use Remote Control Batarang - MUST KNOCK DOWN THREE HENCHMEN, KNOCKING THEM ALL DOWN)
SONIC BOOM: Use the Sonic Shock Batarang to pacify a henchman (Upgrade Required).
(LT + RT to throw Sonic Shock Batarang, LT + RB to detonate batarang - WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO USE SONIC SHOCK BATARANG AGAIN)
VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqLTZj79B7s

SURVIVAL TACTICS (EXTREME)
Best Time: 2:13.21
Difficulty: 4
THE MAGIC NUMBER: Use the Triple Batarang to knock down 3 henchmen with one throw. (Upgrade Required).
(LT + RT to throw Triple Batarang - MUST KNOCK DOWN ALL THREE)
KICK OFF: Use the Line Launcher to kick a henchmen off an edge and knock him out.
(LT + RT to use Line Launcher - MUST KICK HENCHMAN OFF LEDGE, AND RENDER HIM UNCONSCIOUS)
HIT AND RUN: Punch an armed henchman.
(X to Strike - JUST STRIKE HENCHMAN. CAN BE USED IN A COMBO, AND CAN BE TAKEN DOWN AFTER)
VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd6lq2jKnaE

INVISIBLE PREDATOR (EXTREME)
Best Time: 3:41.08
Enemies: 8
Difficulty: 5
TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE: Using the Ultra Batclaw, pull the floor out from under 2 henchmen.
(LT + RT to use Ultra Batclaw - MUST RENDER HENCHMEN UNCONSCIOUS)
SHOCK TACTICS: Appear out of nowhere to surprise a terrified henchman.
(Appear in front of a terrified henchman - HENCHMAN MUST BE IN TERRIFIED STATE)
TUG OF WAR: Use the Ultra Batclaw to pull 3 henchmen off a walkway at once, taking them all out.
(LT + RT to use Ultra Batclaw - MUST PULL ALL 3 HENCHMEN OFF A WALKWAY, AND RENDER THEM ALL UNCONSCIOUS)
VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gfrUOIwjwo

I plan on updating this videos eventually with better times, however, I don't know when I'll get around to doing this. In the meantime, please request this for a sticky.

Not my effort, but certainly worth using for Youtubes to see how he does some of these requirements.

In any case now I have to slog through the combat challenges and get the insane score requirements and then beat hard. *sigh*

Ephemeris

So having beaten the game, what's the deal on the multiple endings? Never highlighted the spoiler tags from before so I'm unsure if you guys were joking or not. >_>

Dabanton said:

Reading and listening to the goons is hilarious i like the goon that killed
his sister because the Joker said to and the other goon say's Joker kept asking him to do the same thing even though he had no sister, so he ran over the first woman he saw
while driving the Joker about and said the Joker was pleased. :lol

Or the goon that Joker tells that his going to have
his wife killed then says as a sign of his mercy he'll just turn her into a cripple her instead.

The dialog is the only reason I paused before delivering a bone-crushing cape-stunning ass-whooping sometimes.:lol

LiK

man, some dude was bitchin' about the flawless freeflow achievement in another forum. first time i played the challenges today and i got it in the very first challenge. that was easy.

oh yea, the predator stuff is pretty cool altho the time limit makes me sloppy.

Top Bottom