• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ephemeris said:
The dialog is the only reason I paused before delivering a bone-crushing cape-stunning ass-whooping sometimes.:lol

Did you do a silent takedown in
the sewers? The Joker will go "I'll teach you for hanging up on me!" to the one dude after you get out of the Batcave

Ephemeris

LiK said:
man, some dude was bitchin' about the flawless freeflow achievement in another forum. first time i played the challenges today and i got it in the very first challenge. that was easy.

oh yea, the predator stuff is pretty cool altho the time limit makes me sloppy.

Some people just need to practice a little, that's all.

I was worried about the last boss battle being overly difficult on hard, so I was a little disappointed when I finished it on the first try.

Was there a special death scene for that moment? Bane-ragdoll > all others.

Ephemeris

TheSeks said:
Did you do a silent takedown in
the sewers? The Joker will go "I'll teach you for hanging up on me!"
to the one dude after you get out of the Batcave[/spoiler].
You know it! I think it alternates too. Where he asks if
he's been eaten by Croc or if Bats is around
:lol

One of my faves.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ephemeris said:
You know it! I think it alternates too. Where he asks if
he's been eaten by Croc or if Bats is around
:lol

One of my faves.

I didn't get that one.

How do I fail spoiler?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Ephemeris said:
So having beaten the game, what's the deal on the multiple endings? Never highlighted the spoiler tags from before so I'm unsure if you guys were joking or not.

The hand that reaches out of the water for the Titan serum is supposedly different per difficulty level. Scarecrow, Bane, and Croc.

I just noticed that if you enter the final room (the one they are constructing) during the story that each time you go in Joker talks about something new related to where you are in the game. Awesome.

LiK

kinda glad that the Challenges still has the Joker in them. i get to hear him taunt me all over again. Mark Hamill, i love you man.

Goreomedy said:
The hand that reaches out of the water for the Titan serum is supposedly different per difficulty level. Scarecrow, Bane, and Croc.

i played on Normal and got
Scarecrow
. i think someone else says it's the percentage.

MiamiWesker said:
I just noticed that if you enter the final room (the one they are constructing) during the story that each time you go in Joker talks about something new related to where you are in the game. Awesome.

Yeah I just noticed this too. Very cool. Love how it goes first-person in there. Feels ominous and claustrophobic.

MiamiWesker said:
More than that, the first time you arrive
there are some guys there with paint cans, and after that you can see the Joker face slowly being built over the course of the game.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
This may have already been posted. But, on my first playthrough Clayface was impersonating Gordon in his cell. But now, on my second playthrough, I'm seeing impersonating a bunch of different people. A new character everytime I walk in.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How do you know when you've reached a checkpoint? I can't tell when it's safe to quit without losing progress.

Dave1988 said:
Visually it looks nice but nothing spectacular. I like the music that starts to play on round 3 and 4. It's also on of the wider stages like Sewer Bat. The enemies in this stage have access only to cinder blocks and iron pipes. No guns. You can't play as the Joker in it. There's no Extreme version of this stage either.
I guess I'm not missing much then. Though it's still a cool bonus. Not many games let you beat up thugs in the place where Batman's parents died.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Dan said:
How do you know when you've reached a checkpoint? I can't tell when it's safe to quit without losing progress.

The game auto saves. You should see a little circle motion at the bottom right of the screen whenever you go from room to room, or area to area.

LiK

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Yeah I just noticed this too. Very cool. Love how it goes first-person in there. Feels ominous and claustrophobic.

that room gave me a Bioshock vibe. so freakin creepy when it jumped to first person.

Vilix said:
This may have already been posted. But, on my first playthrough Clayface was impersonating Gordon in his cell. But now, on my second playthrough, I'm seeing impersonating a bunch of different people. A new character everytime I walk in.

He would do it while I was in the room, when I turned from him I would hear a weird morphing sound, when I turn around he was someone else.

LiK

Vilix said:

i got Warden Sharp first time. and when i returned after i beat the game, he was Gordon.

As far as I remember,
he starts out as Cash, then turns into Sharp once you've been up the stairs to see the warden, and then into Gordon when you turn your back on him again.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Anyone have tips for beating
the two Titan Henchmen + a shit load of thugs at the end when you crash Joker's party?
That shit was pissing me off so much last night. I'm so damn close to finishing. :(

Shake Appeal said:
As far as I remember,
he starts out as Cash, then turns into Sharp once you've been up the stairs to see the warden, and then into Gordon when you turn your back on him again.

This.

LiK

Zeliard said:
I thought that was an homage to Bioshock. Had to be.

yea, lots of homages here and there. i can see a lot of influence from the Riddick game too.

Domino Theory said:
the two Titan Henchmen + a shit load of thugs at the end when you crash Joker's party?
That shit was pissing me off so much last night. I'm so damn close to finishing. :(

just focus on the
goons and ignore the Titans. if the Titans happen to get close, smack them around and run away towards the goons again. if the Titans happen to fall down and let you ride them, take advantage of that anytime it happens.
it's def the toughest fight outta the whole game, imo.

Domino Theory said:

Ride the Titans, thats the key to everything, when you are on one make sure to hit the other enough so that when you are pushed off you can quickly jump on the other. Keep doing that over and over until they are dead. The rest of the people should be no problem.

Cipher

Goreomedy said:

I beat the game on normal and hard
and got Croc both times.

Maybe the different arms in the three different endings are some sort of hint towards DLC they have planned? Who knows. I got Scarecrow the first time on Normal, and Bane the second time on Normal.

It may be related to completion, it may be related to some choices you make (can you fail some objectives? I can't remember now, but I think there might have been parts where you can fail to rescue people), but it's probably just random.

MMaRsu

Two questions..

1. How do you get the riddler trophy in the long section of controller acces in penitentiary, that's flooded with electrified water?

2. Where is explained what the requirements are for medals in the challenge rooms?

Thank you ^_^

RPS37

I just played for a couple hours. This game is surprisingly impressive.
If I had to choose between this or Ghostbusters this Summer, I'd easily go for Batman.

witness

FINALLY got the flawless freeflow trophy, I actually got it on the first wave of intensive treatment extreme challenge map. Then after that I did it again on the next two waves :lol

Red

MMaRsu said:
Two questions..

1. How do you get the riddler trophy in the long section of controller acces in penitentiary, that's flooded with electrified water?

2. Where is explained what the requirements are for medals in the challenge rooms?

Thank you ^_^
1. Line launcher

2. Press back/select (it says this every time you start a predator challenge; why do people keep asking?)

Ephemeris

TheSeks said:
I didn't get that one.

How do I fail spoiler?
Not an accurate quote, but it's close enough.

*Silence*
Joker: hey! Did you get eaten by Croc or is Batman there?
*Silence*
Joker: Croc! Are you out there old boy? Hello?
*silence*
Joker: ... oh it's you, Bats.

As I said, not entirely accurate but you get the gist. I loved that they had multiple lines for one scenario. You'll prolly miss them if you don't replay the section though.:lol

MMaRsu

Crunched said:
1. Line launcher

2. Press back/select (it says this every time you start a predator challenge; why do people keep asking?)

Omg didn't think about the line launcher..lol.

And I did read something about pressing back/select but I did it in the menu before you start a challenge :lol . Thanks anyway man.

One of my favourite incidental things is
early on in Intensive Treatment, when you can overhear a phone conversation between the Joker and a woman calling the asylum to find out if her husband (a guard or doctor, I assume?) is okay.

Ephemeris

Shake Appeal said:
I was 100% on Hard, and
saw Bane at the end
Got Croc

Shake Appeal said:
As far as I remember,
ditto

MMaRsu said:
Two questions..

I actually ran across.

On hard. :lol

Shake Appeal said:
One of my favourite incidental things is
early on in Intensive Treatment, when you can overhear a phone conversation between the Joker and a woman calling the asylum to find out if her husband (a guard or doctor, I assume?) is okay.
..only find his head. lol

Downhome

Wow, they weren't kidding when they said that the Joker challenges force you to think and play the game completely differently than you do as Batman. :lol

K' Dash

MMaRsu said:
Two questions..

Thank you ^_^

1-You need a specific gadget

2-Press back

Red

MMaRsu said:
Omg didn't think about the line launcher..lol.

And I did read something about pressing back/select but I did it in the menu before you start a challenge :lol . Thanks anyway man.
No problem man, glad to help. I can imagine one or two people missing the "press back" prompt, but so many people have been asking about it :lol
Ephemeris said:
I actually ran across.

On hard. :lol
How'd you manage that? After one or two steps I was stuck in place because Batman kept getting shocked and being pushed back.

Alright guys, hopefully you don't let me down. I went against my nature and bought this out of impulse during lunch despite the fact that I'm getting two other games this month already. Just too many of you guys saying how great this game is including a personal friend of mine (hell, just had a worker at subway talk about it too) and glowing reviews. Hopefully it's all that it's been said to be. I like what I've heard so eager to try it but will probably have to wait until tomorrow evening since I have a night class tonight :( I plan on 1000/1000 this as I'm a bit of an achievement whore.

LiK

SquallASF said:
Alright guys, hopefully you don't let me down. I went against my nature and bought this out of impulse during lunch despite the fact that I'm getting two other games this month already. Just too many of you guys saying how great this game is including a personal friend of mine (hell, just had a worker at subway talk about it too) and glowing reviews. Hopefully it's all that it's been said to be. I like what I've heard so eager to try it but will probably have to wait until tomorrow evening since I have a night class tonight :( I plan on 1000/1000 this as I'm a bit of an achievement whore.

one of the best games this year, there's no way you won't like this game!
unless you have no soul ;)

LiK said:
one of the best games this year, there's no way you won't like this game!
unless you have no soul ;)

Sometimes I joke that I don't have one ;) But I feel 99.9 percent sure I'll be a big fan from all you guys have said. I ignore untelling coments such as itz the b3st EvAr!!! and have read the descriptions of gameplay elements and moments that you guys really appreciate. The small details and how fluid everything is. The creativity and polish/effort put into the title. I'm sure I'll have a blast :D

Montresor

Crunched said:
1. Line launcher

It's subtle, and goes away quickly if you're reading Joker's subtitles or looking at anything else. It appears in the bottom right corner for a brief moment then goes away. And there's nothing at all about challenges in the instructin manual, and no indication about what the predator objectives mean in the challenge select menu (and there should be).

feel

SquallASF said:
I ignore untelling coments such as itz the b3st EvAr!!!
Well, let me put it differently:

This game is like as if Kojima made an odd numbered MGS with a batman theme.

Red

nourali2 said:
It's subtle, and goes away quickly if you're reading Joker's subtitles or looking at anything else. It appears in the bottom right corner for a brief moment then goes away. And there's nothing at all about challenges in the instructin manual, and no indication about what the predator objectives mean in the challenge select menu (and there should be).
Agreed on that one.
Letters said:

Just that description disgusts me, I'd say it's the exact opposite of that :lol

oblo

This game rocks, they nailed the Batman feel and managed to make a mix of Resident Evil (4/5), Metroid Prime and -insert fun brawler- feel really fresh. Wasn't really looking forward to it before the demo, gameplay convinced me instead of hype for a change, totally worth the praise it's getting...

Big up to Rocksteady Studios, impressive work!

LiK

Letters said:

more like Bioshock, Dead Space and Riddick all rolled into one sweet ball of deliciousness sprinkled with Batman.

Montresor

LiK said:
more like Bioshock, Dead Space and Riddick all rolled into one sweet ball of delicious sprinkled with Batman.

I get a Bioshock / Metroid / Zelda feeling from Batman AA.

insert James Franco so good.gif seal of approval

Top Bottom