• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Red

LiK said:
more like Bioshock, Dead Space and Riddick all rolled into one sweet ball of deliciousness sprinkled with Batman.
Yeah, that's more like it.
By itself, it's very distinct, but you can spot influences from all of those games.

LiK

nourali2 said:
I get a Bioshock / Metroid / Zelda feeling from Batman AA.

insert James Franco so good.gif seal of approval

Just finished the game, the credits are rolling, what a blast. I was not bored for one second during my playthrough, which is rare these days. Most games contain a lot of filler. Can we have sequel please, Rocksteady?? You made the best Batman game ever!

I played on hard and the two titans + three waves of goons before the joker fight drove me crazy. Joker was easy though.

MMaRsu

Yeah playing this game with the BB and TDK soundtrack is amazing too. Especially in challenge rooms.

I <3 this game so much :D

Ephemeris

Crunched said:
No problem man, glad to help. I can imagine one or two people missing the "press back" prompt, but so many people have been asking about it :lol

How'd you manage that? After one or two steps I was stuck in place because Batman kept getting shocked and being pushed back.
Walk your way to the right. On the pipe thing. I started there.

On normal (playing on 360) I made it all the way on my first try.

On hard (PS3) [and probably normal], sometimes bats freezes in place and gets shocked to death. Sometimes he'll run while the life drains.. and that's how I got it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm surprised so many people have been having trouble with
the two titans + enemies before Joker. I personally thought the titan + enemies in the smaller area was a lot harder, atleast in the other fight you have a lot of room to work around.

Red

Papercuts said:
the two titans + enemies before Joker. I personally thought the titan + enemies in the smaller area was a lot harder, atleast in the other fight you have a lot of room to work around.
That was the most difficult fight during the story for me, mainly because I was going for the mano o mano achievement and didn't use batarangs. Played it on hard, too. Was so great when I finally finished.

LiK

Papercuts said:

opposite here.
i think it's the camera since the room is bigger, getting surrounded is more of a pain. the final fight had a view of the whole room.

Ephemeris

Papercuts said:
In addition to the pipe thing above, that wasn't the only thing I unlocked "before my time". The other is the
Ivy-stage-challenge-room
that had the
titan
in the last room. Played that part so many times I never had an issue later on.

Minamu

Platinum'd!! Felt really good ^^ Definitely one of the easier games I've played to get 100% in even if some of the challenge maps kicked my ass for a while. But after playing it through on hard the second playthrough, it seemed a lot easier when you could see their attacks coming :D But I've still only gotten 40x combos & the biggest variation bonus ONCE in 2 playthroughs & I still beat the target scores :D This is definitely a GOTY candidate for me.

And woot, finally a member :O

hamchan

Omg @ the Zsasz tapes.
When
he starts talking about where Dr Cassidy lives and the stuff she was doing at the time I was like "oh sheeeet".

It never really hit me how terrifying Batman's villains are before this game.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
nourali2 said:
I get a Bioshock / Metroid / Zelda feeling from Batman AA.

insert James Franco so good.gif seal of approval

Never played bioshock, but I do get the sense of Metroid and zelda in this game, everytime I got a new item I wanted to back track and unlock doors and tear down grates.

hamchan said:
Omg @ the Zsasz tapes.
When
he starts talking about where Dr Cassidy lives and the stuff she was doing at the time I was like "oh sheeeet".

I agree especially with Killer Croc.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally will achieve 100% tonight. For Plat, all I need is the finish the game on hard and get to two higher tier challenge trophies for predator and freeflow. I guess that means I still have a lot ways to go, but this is the first time in a long time I've actually bothered to track down every collectible in a game. It helps when they're actually worth something, instead of just being useless objects (like assass creed flags).

Red

hamchan said:
Omg @ the Zsasz tapes.
When

Yeah, it does a really great job of fleshing out the villains.

LiK

hamchan said:
Omg @ the Zsasz tapes.
When

really? go read the Arkham Asylum graphic novel :)

neojubei said:
Never played bioshock, but I do get the sense of Metroid and zelda in this game, everytime I got a new item I wanted to back track and unlock doors and tear down grates.

you should play Riddick too. lots of similarities.

Cipher

Ephemeris said:
Walk your way to the right. On the pipe thing. I started there.

On normal (playing on 360) I made it all the way on my first try.

On hard (PS3) [and probably normal], sometimes bats freezes in place and gets shocked to death. Sometimes he'll run while the life drains.. and that's how I got it.

I did the samething as you. I don't know why the thought of using the line launcher never occured to me. :lol

Minamu

Am I the only one who didn't notice what the Arkham Asylum logo actually is? :lol I was maybe 75% through the game before I noticed that it's not really a diamond...

homer.gif

Ephemeris

hamchan said:
Omg @ the Zsasz tapes.
When

Zsasz had the best tapes overall. Loved the ending.

I also approved of Scarecrow's ending.:D

Red

Minamu said:
Am I the only one who didn't notice what the Arkham Asylum logo actually is? :lol I was maybe 75% through the game before I noticed that it's not really a diamond...

homer.gif
What diamond?
Ephemeris said:

Scarecrow absolutely was my favorite character, especially for the tapes.
Papercuts said:
Riddler's second tape was clearly the best tape overall though. :p
I didn't like the Riddler tapes too much, probably because I didn't like the character. He seemed so whiny, like an petulant child.

Papercuts

Ephemeris said:

Riddler's second tape was clearly the best tape overall though. :p

JSnake

neojubei said:
Yup bullcrap indeed. Arkham Asylum is the best Batman game made.

"But this is let down by the lack of lighting effects, leaving Batman blatantly atop a gargoyle."

what does this sentence even mean

MMaRsu

Minamu said:

homer.gif

LOL! I didn't know either and I just found out it's two upside down A's :lol

hamchan

Minamu said:

homer.gif

What it actually is? Isn't it just a spinning diamond? Is there something hidden that will blow my mind :p?

Papercuts

Crunched said:
I didn't like the Riddler tapes too much, probably because I didn't like the character. He seemed so whiny, like an petulant child.

I can see that(especially from his comments when you solve riddles), but I liked how his mood rapidly changes in his tapes.

Papercuts said:

I'm with you, the two of them at the end barely gave me any trouble. During that fight I loved discovering that before the reinforcements hop down into the arena, you can pull them off the balcony with batclaws :lol

Red

Zeliard said:
The Riddler is a petulant child.
I guess so, just seemed like he couldn't even have done much damage. In the game he's presented like he's in a state of arrested development (the tapes' backstory supports this, I think), so much so that he seems harmless. Like someone could punch him and he'd go cry in the corner. There was no menace like there was with the other characters. I'd say he was incorporated in a really great way because of all that.
Valkyr Junkie said:
I'm with you, the two of them at the end barely gave me any trouble. During that fight I loved discovering that before the reinforcements hop down into the arena, you can pull them off the balcony with batclaws :lol
MIND BLOWN.
LiK said:
he's a bit cooler in the Animated series but he's definitely more of a nerd than anything else.
Yeah, I can see that. The challenges he presents you with are great, but as a character he seems so out of place. It's like he's not evil, he's just got some sort of middle school jealousy thing going on. At villains school, he's the guy no one wants to sit next to at lunch.

Sean

Banned
I was just thinking how cool it would be if after you finished the game
all the villains would be locked up in their cells (like Harley Quinn was) and being able to pass by them and maybe talk to them or at least have them screaming/cursing you
. That's pretty much how the game ended anyway, yet when you go back to do the riddler challenges
all the cells are empty again
. It'd make you feel pretty badass roaming around Arkham and seeing/hearing that.

Cipher

Ephemeris said:
I know, right! :lol

I think part of it had to do with the fact that I got hung up on the idea that the long distance upgrade for the scanner was supposed to be used on it. When that didn't work I basically said to myself "Maybe... he can make it." :lol

LiK

Crunched said:
I guess so, just seemed like he couldn't even have done much damage. In the game he's presented like he's in a state of arrested development (the tapes' backstory supports this, I think), so much so that he seems harmless. Like someone could punch him and he'd go cry in the corner. There was no menace like there was with the other characters. I'd say he was incorporated in a really great way because of all that.

he's a bit cooler in the Animated series but he's definitely more of a nerd than anything else.

Cipher

Sean said:
all the villains would be locked up in their cells (like Harley Quinn was) and being able to pass by them and maybe talk to them or at least have them screaming/cursing you
. That's pretty much how the game ended anyway, yet when you go back to do the riddler challenges
. It'd make you feel pretty badass roaming around Arkham and seeing/hearing that.

I had really hoped that would be the case. I also would have liked if
Clayface had impersonated more than three people

Minamu

top_header.png

It used to look like a diamond to me. But like MMaRsu says, it's just the Arkham Asylum's initials upright & upside down :D

Cipher said:
I had really hoped that would be the case. I also would have liked if
Clayface had impersonated more than three people

Someone on gamefaqs (lulz) said that after playing through a second time he impersonated more people. Probably a bunch of bullcrap though.

LiK

Minamu said:
top_header.png

It used to look like a diamond to me. But like MMaRsu says, it's just the Arkham Asylum's initials upright & upside down :D

i am kinda surprised you guys didn't notice it :)

Ephemeris

Cipher said:
I think part of it had to do with the fact that I got hung up on the idea that the long distance upgrade for the scanner was supposed to be used on it. When that didn't work I basically said to myself "Maybe... he can make it." :lol
:lol Yes!

feel

Sean said:
Yes, I was disappointed that
after you beat the game the game reverts to a pre final boss state, instead of showing the island getting back to normal after the joker is apprehended with cops securing the areas (making grateful comments to you when you pass by) and everyone in their cells.
But they probably didn't have the time to do that.

LiK

Letters said:
Yes, I was disappointed that
after you beat the game the game reverts to a pre final boss state, instead of showing the island getting back to normal after the joker is apprehended with cops securing the areas (making grateful comments to you when you pass by) and everyone in their cells.
But they probably didn't have the time to do that.

same here. maybe it'll be DLC. i don't think it would be hard to add that. just a wish.

Minamu

LiK said:
i am kinda surprised you guys didn't notice it :)
Me too. It's so obvious now :) But on the other hand, I didn't figure out who the
Spirit of Arkham
was either. And I never fully understood how the
Riddler got caught
either. I'll blame it on being sick the entire time I've been playing this :) Definitely the best way of having a fever & a pretty fierce cold.

Zeliard

Crunched said:

The Riddler is pretty much a physical weakling who relies solely on his brain power. I think the game itself also notes this, but the guy gets a hard-on off trying to prove that he's more intelligent than Batman, which he pretty much always fails at. That's like the one thing that drives him.

Minamu said:
Me too. It's so obvious now :) But on the other hand, I didn't figure out who the
Spirit of Arkham
was either. And I never fully understood how the
Riddler got caught
either. I'll blame it on being sick the entire time I've been playing this :) Definitely the best way of having a fever & a pretty fierce cold.

When you are only a few Riddler challenges shy of 100%, on the HUD a message that the source of the Riddler's interference has been traced to an address in Gotham, and police have been dispatched.

Red

Valkyr Junkie said:
When you are only a few Riddler challenges shy of 100%, on the HUD a message that the source of the Riddler's interference has been traced to an address in Gotham, and police have been dispatched.
Don't you start tracking him from the very first riddle?

Top Bottom