• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Christopher

JB1981 said:
Finally got an elite and was able to do a direct comparison of the 360/PS3 versions of this game I gotta say, the 360 version really does look markedly better. It has AA where the PS3 doesn't and it also makes use of subtle but effective motion blur in certain instances. The PS3 port is a good effort but the game has a level of polish and visual fidelity that is simply missing on the PS3.

I think it's time to stop trusting videogame comparison sites. Lens of Truth gave the edge to the PS3 version and I'll never understand that. Oh well .....

oh who gives a shit

JB1981 said:
Finally got an elite and was able to do a direct comparison of the 360/PS3 versions of this game I gotta say, the 360 version really does look markedly better. It has AA where the PS3 doesn't and it also makes use of subtle but effective motion blur in certain instances. The PS3 port is a good effort but the game has a level of polish and visual fidelity that is simply missing on the PS3.

I think it's time to stop trusting videogame comparison sites. Lens of Truth gave the edge to the PS3 version and I'll never understand that. Oh well .....

You need to fuck off.

Let's focus on the game, 'kay?

Zeliard

Plus, no point in bringing that up when there's a PC version that curbstomps both. If you're solely looking for graphical differences, the choice is clear. Clear eyes.

I have the PS3 version and it's perfectly okay. One of the better "ports" I've seen, similar to Dead Space.

Ephemeris

Zeliard said:
Plus, no point in bringing that up when there's a PC version that curbstomps both. If you're solely looking for graphical differences, the choice is clear. Clear eyes.

I have the PS3 version and it's perfectly okay. One of the better "ports" I've seen, similar to Dead Space.
Agreed. I'm playing on both consoles too.

JB1981 said:

The fact that there is no consensus superior version b/t PS3/360 means that the 2 versions have negligible visual differences if any.

ZeroRay

Beat this game a few days ago and just finished all of Riddler's challenges. Awesome game,
The bosses and the end scenario could have been handled better
but this game gives atmosphere and a sense of exploration like no other. Entering the Penetentiary for the first time was one of the highlights of this gen for me.

firen

Fantastic. Just fantastic. I just beat the game and I am looking forward to round 2 for sure. I thought
Ivy was super easy and Joker was pretty tough. Also love the scarecrow scenarios, some of it reminded me of Max Payne

Neiteio

Can someone give me a list of all the 3D models you can unlock in the game? I've been scouring the Internet for such a list and I can't find one... Does anyone know what all the 3D models are?

So far I have
Batman, Batmobile, Bane, Boles, Zsasz and Scarface.
(That last one is especially cool.)

i'm almost up to the part where i fight killer croc. i'm hoping the boss battle isn't a let down. in the opening scenes he looks awesome and seems to be one of the most physically imposing bosses in recent memory.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Neiteio said:
Can someone give me a list of all the 3D models you can unlock in the game? I've been scouring the Internet for such a list and I can't find one... Does anyone know what all the 3D models are?

So far I have
Batman, Batmobile, Bane, Boles, Zsasz and Scarface.
(That last one is especially cool.)

You'll get them all soon anyway, just collect things.

Meanwhile, I beat hard.
The Joker fight at the end was such bullshit since I kept fucking up against the dudes, until I set gel at the gun place x 3 to perma-ko whoever dropped on it/safety from guns and beat his ass

Also: Thank fucking god for whoever put a checkpoint at the
Ivy
fight. Stupid fucking second half kept kicking my ass and thankfully I didn't have to redo the first (and they gave you full health for it) so kudos to Rock Steady (hey baby, hey baby) for not aggravating me with that.

Now I just have the stupid combat challenges to finish and Platinum this game. >_<;

firen

TheSeks said:
The Joker fight at the end was such bullshit since I kept fucking up against the dudes, until I set gel at the gun place x 3 to perma-ko whoever dropped on it/safety from guns and beat his ass

Now I just have the stupid combat challenges to finish and Platinum this game. >_<;

That's EXACTLY what I did. Worked like a charm. Also
many went into the electric fence.

diss

Banned
holy fucken shit, this game is awesome. surprise of the year for me

also i like vents. i liked vents in deus ex, then i don't remember much vent crawling for a while, then i liked vents in shadow complex, and i like vents in this game. i don't even have to be doing anything, just walking in them. vents = good

Game seems to get better the more I play. I love it. Scarecrow's parts are absolutely awesome, and there's parts of the game that look absolutely stunning. I haven't played a game that looked this nice since Dead Space.

Glad I decided on this over Prototype yesterday

So i beat the game on easy and hard having no clue how to use the combat system. When i practiced on challenges i would get a grand TOTAL of 6k in the first map. I just couldn't figure it out. The last 2 titan battles on hard were a NIGHTMARE because of it.Then BAM it finally hit me. All of a sudden i'm doing 40x-50x combos easily in every round and completed all 24 medals today :lol The hardest round to me would have to be round 3 of rumble in the jungle extreme.If you fuck up at least twice there is no choice but to restart the dame thing. All i need is 24 medals in predator and 100% complete (which i will get once i get those 24 medals) and i get the platinum! :D

Cipher

Killing_Joke said:
So i beat the game on easy and hard having no clue how to use the combat system. When i practiced on challenges i would get a grand TOTAL of 6k in the first map. I just couldn't figure it out. The last 2 titan battles on hard were a NIGHTMARE because of it.Then BAM it finally hit me. All of a sudden i'm doing 40x-50x combos easily in every round and completed all 24 medals today :lol The hardest round to me would have to be round 3 of rumble in the jungle extreme.If you fuck up at least twice there is no choice but to restart the dame thing. All i need is 24 medals in predator and 100% complete (which i will get once i get those 24 medals) and i get the platinum! :D

Well you knocked out the harder of the two types of challenges. The difficulty difference between Combat and Predator is pretty great.

MMaRsu

YESSSS finally 3 fucking batstars or whatever you want to call it on Shock and Awe extreme :D

-edit-

Batarangs :p

MMaRsu

Ephemeris said:
If your will and sanity was broken and you started thinking the game didn't deserve a 9, you got Scarecrow.

If your combo skill wasn't high enough and you were easily broken, Bane.

If you ate your enemies alive and beasted in the challenge rooms you should get Croc.

Or so I believe.
batman.gif

That doesnt make sense because my will was not broken and I always thought this game deserved at least a 9 :p.

saiftk

Banned
firen said:
Fantastic. Just fantastic. I just beat the game and I am looking forward to round 2 for sure. I thought
Ivy was super easy and Joker was pretty tough. Also love the scarecrow scenarios, some of it reminded me of Max Payne

Yup.
Let's hope they don't make AA2 like MP3.
Imagine Batman without his batsuit, bald and in Peru. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm almost up to the part where i fight killer croc. i'm hoping the boss battle isn't a let down. in the opening scenes he looks awesome and seems to be one of the most physically imposing bosses in recent memory.

I bet you were a little sad after this eh :(

GQman2121

Banned
I'm sad to say that I finished this brilliant game up this morning. Really satisfied with how it all rapped up.

I honestly can't remember the last game that I played that had so many little touches of greatness to it. Easily my game of the year so far.

So much about this game is satisfying. Visuals, audio (dynamic), combat, collectibles, cutscenes, there really is no better way to immortalize batman than Arkham Asylum.

-*in Seinfeld voice: "And what's the deal with then PC port?"
I anxiously await to see this in higher resolution on my 60 '' LCD....in 7.1....droooool...haha

123rl

I finished it last night on Normal. Superb game from beginning to end and there was only really one fight I hated and one boss fight that was a bit meh. Everything else just made me think this will be one of my favourite games of 2009, without a doubt

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This game's awesome. It's right up there with Bioshock, Dead Space and inFamous as my favorite PS3 games. Hopefully it gets its deserved sales so that maybe we get another kickass Batman game.

Damn, I managed to do a 37 combo thanks in part to
riding a Titan
. So close, but no go and it'll probably never happen again. I have a tough time reaching 15 normally.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
JB1981 said:

*shakes head*

Ephemeris said:
If your will and sanity was broken and you started thinking the game didn't deserve a 9, you got Scarecrow.

If your combo skill wasn't high enough and you were easily broken, Bane.

If you ate your enemies alive and beasted in the challenge rooms you should get Croc.

Or so I believe.
batman.gif

It would be funny if all of that was true.

RetroMG

I haven't really posted so far, but I finished the game a few days ago, and now I'm working on going back through for challanges, riddles, and achievements. What an amazing game, and I'm so glad I own it.

I will say this about the 360/PS3 debate. Once I've got all the achievements, I might trade my copy in to get it on PS3. The reason being that on PS3, I can copy saves to a USB drive. So I could keep a separate save file in front of each of the
scarecrow
encounters, one in front of the end of the game, (I loved the
party scene.
) etc. I can't do that on 360, and it kind of bugs me that I can't keep save files for the areas I'd like to go back to.

Other than that, I really hope we see some of the
Scarecrow stealth levels
put up as DLC. To me, those were some of the most fun parts of the game. I was hoping the Gamestop DLC was more of these, but sadly, I don't think it is.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I need help with normal Shock and Awe, I do good points the 2 first rounds, but when the knifes guys come up I'm fucked, any suggestion? I want my 3 medals , only got 2 so far :(

LiK

dgenx said:
I need help with normal Shock and Awe, I do good points the 2 first rounds, but when the knifes guys come up I'm fucked, any suggestion? I want my 3 medals , only got 2 so far :(

just use Stun (B/O) for Knife guys and attack normally. they're easy. i only have trouble with the guys with Stun Rods. i hate evading to take them out from behind. i need to work on my timing to keep the freeflow going.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I know, but they always break my combo flow...the fuckers, and they hit me so that prevent me for getting the Perfect Knight bonus arghh I need more practice

deepbrown

I found the Joker battle easy, but the Ivy battle really hard. :(

And I'm angry. I can complete the first stealth challenge in only 45 seconds, but not with all three medals. Since I've completed it with 3 medals, it won't save my awesome time :(

deepbrown

LiK said:
just use Stun (B/O) for Knife guys and attack normally. they're easy. i only have trouble with the guys with Stun Rods. i hate evading to take them out from behind. i need to work on my timing to keep the freeflow going.

Stun them and then look out for them with your instant take-outs after 5 combos...I just direct that towards them so I can take them out with ease.

LiK

deepbrown said:
Sutn them and then look out for them with your instant take-outs after 5 combos...I just direct that towards them so I can take them out with ease.

yea, i def need to keep an eye on the combo meter more often to use takedowns. sometimes it gets so hectic, esp when there is a Titan in the group.

Finally got freeflow perfection last night. Booyah! But for some reason I'm still getting my ass kicked in the last 3 combat challenges. Or perhaps I should say, I'm not kicking enough ass in the last 3 combat challenges. Frustrating as hell. Getting closer though.

Also, going back to Riddler for a second, was it pure coincidence that when I
scanned his cell, that's when Batman deduced where he was located?
It just seemed to fit so perfectly.

LiK

Confused101 said:
Also, going back to Riddler for a second, was it pure coincidence that when I
scanned his cell, that's when Batman deduced where he was located?
It just seemed to fit so perfectly.

nope,
his cell is purely one of the Riddles and an easter egg
. def coincidence. :)

Ephemeris

MMaRsu said:
That doesnt make sense because my will was not broken and I always thought this game deserved at least a 9 :p.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! : P

deepbrown said:
Stun them and then look out for them with your instant take-outs after 5 combos...I just direct that towards them so I can take them out with ease.
Cosigned. At this stage I really don't have much of a problem getting these guys involved (just remembering to cape-stun them on the way is the only hassle) but sometimes I just can't be bothered and go straight for the the takedown.

Or a throw off a balcony.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
Yikes.

I think the boss fights were the game's major weakness. For me, the best "boss fights" in the game were the Zsasz encounters. The first one conditioned me to taking my sweet time in getting to him, then later on it punishes that behavior when he holds the doctor hostage. That sort of stuff is way more interesting to me than what we got with the the heavies.

LiK

ConsumerSquare said:
Yikes.

I think the boss fights were the game's major weakness. For me, the best "boss fights" in the game were the Zsasz encounters. The first one conditioned me to taking my sweet time in getting to him, then later on it punishes that behavior when he holds the doctor hostage. That sort of stuff is way more interesting to me than what we got with the the heavies.

yea, not as epic as i would've liked. at least they're not frustrating and easy to figure out.

Top Bottom