• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

Ephemeris

ConsumerSquare said:
Yikes.

I think the boss fights were the game's major weakness. For me, the best "boss fights" in the game were the Zsasz encounters. The first one conditioned me to taking my sweet time in getting to him, then later on it punishes that behavior when he holds the doctor hostage. That sort of stuff is way more interesting to me than what we got with the the heavies.

I liked Bane's. But I think that has a lot to do with the ragdoll death-scene.

Maybe it's the beating up 5 dudes while dodging in slow-mo at the last possible second that does it for me.

Ephemeris said:
I liked Bane's. But I think that has a lot to do with the ragdoll death-scene.
Oh yeah, I really dug Bane's too, but I feel like they abused that formula as the game progressed.

Maybe you guys can clarify something from the Ivy sequence for me.
When you approach that fight, the cut scene shows a plant knock the antidote from Bat's hand before he can administer it. The fight starts, I smack Ivy in the face with a few Batarangs and some explosives, and then it's over. At what point did he ever cure the Titan infected vegetation?

Scotch

Finished it last night, great game, and my game of the year so far. I love these games that I had low expectations for and then completely surprise me with their awesomeness. Reminds me of Chronicles of Riddick, Bioshock and Dead Space in that way.

I loved the variety in gameplay elements from different genres, without it feeling unfocused. The combat was so much fun that I found myself rejoicing whenever I saw a bunch of enemies.

The biggest compliment I can probably give it is that I am not really a huge Batman fan at all, but this game has made me appreciate the Batman universe a lot more.

Also Mark Hamill = awesome.

Ephemeris

ConsumerSquare said:
Oh yeah, I really dug Bane's too, but I feel like they abused that formula as the game progressed.

Maybe you guys can clarify something from the Ivy sequence for me.
When you approach that fight, the cut scene shows a plant knock the antidote from Bat's hand before he can administer it. The fight starts, I smack Ivy in the face with a few Batarangs and some explosives, and then it's over. At what point did he ever cure the Titan infected vegetation?

He did it in the
bat-cave.

Just before Ivy
wrecked it, in fact.

Ephemeris

I'm here talking with a friend and I really wished there was a Snake Batman vs Goon [multiplayer] mode. Like one of the predator challenge maps except on a larger scale..

..with the armed henchmen stuck in FPS mode with possibly limited ammo and blah blah blah. Getting carried away here.

Obviously not having it isn't a dealbreaker, but a man can dream..

Disclaimer: I really enjoyed the Snake mode in Metal Gear Online.

Anyone else think the Batman voice actor kinda phoned in his performance here? It is more dull and monotone than the rough gravelly tone you'd expect. I know the actor did many of the animated shows, but he seemed to care less that he was voicing a videogame IMO.

Everyone else though was nothing short of amazing. Harley and Joker being the standouts

Beat the game last night, BTW. Thanks to all for the help with the last boss (it was actually much easier than I was making it out to be). Damn what a terrific game.

Now to go back and snag all the missing Riddler stuff. Then I guess I'm pretty much done. Haven't gotten a lot of mileage from the challenges... Hopefully any DLC they release will be additional story stuff instead of more challenges.

LiK

Keyser Soze said:
Anyone else think the Batman voice actor kinda phoned in his performance here? It is more dull and monotone than the rough gravelly tone you'd expect. I know the actor did many of the animated shows, but he seemed to care less that he was voicing a videogame IMO.

Everyone else though was nothing short of amazing. Harley and Joker being the standouts

Kevin Conroy sounded the same as in the series from what i remember. he always had that stoic attitude as Batman, which i love.

Keyser Soze said:

Exactly what I felt. It definitely felt like he phoned in his performance for a lot of his lines. I guess he felt a video game was beneath him despite the fact that his career is based off voicing cartoon characters.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Ephemeris said:
I'm here talking with a friend and I really wished there was a Snake Batman vs Goon [multiplayer] mode. Like one of the predator challenge maps except on a larger scale..

..with the armed henchmen stuck in FPS mode with possibly limited ammo and blah blah blah. Getting carried away here.

Obviously not having it isn't a dealbreaker, but a man can dream..

Disclaimer: I really enjoyed the Snake mode in Metal Gear Online.
Have you ever played Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer?

It has spy vs. mercenary/third person vs. first person multiplayer nailed. It's amazing

Shame it wasn't a big hit and the learning curve was a bit too steep for people - it's a great gaming experience.

TheDuce22

Banned
JB1981 said:
Finally got an elite and was able to do a direct comparison of the 360/PS3 versions of this game I gotta say, the 360 version really does look markedly better. It has AA where the PS3 doesn't and it also makes use of subtle but effective motion blur in certain instances. The PS3 port is a good effort but the game has a level of polish and visual fidelity that is simply missing on the PS3.

I got burnt by sony fans when I bought Assassin's Creed on ps3. Its impossible to get reliable information with so many of those people spinning the truth. Never making that mistake again.

Ephemeris

dave is ok said:
Have you ever played Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer?

It has spy vs. mercenary/third person vs. first person multiplayer nailed. It's amazing

Shame it wasn't a big hit and the learning curve was a bit too steep for people - it's a great gaming experience.

Yes! Enjoyed both of those [SC and MGO]. The funny thing is when I used to play them once in a while I'd go
" This is how Batman would do it."

`Moe Joe.

Banned
I've basically lazily played through two hours of this game to realize that EXP earns me goddam upgrades. Should have tried to fight stylish. :lol

Restarting.

JRW

`Moe Joe. said:
I've basically lazily played through two hours of this game to realize that EXP earns me goddam upgrades. Should have tried to fight stylish. :lol

Restarting.

Finding riddles gives EXP as well.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Valkyr Junkie said:
Exactly what I felt. It definitely felt like he phoned in his performance for a lot of his lines. I guess he felt a video game was beneath him despite the fact that his career is based off voicing cartoon characters.

I can see that on his "inner monologue voice", which was basically a hint system for the player. The times when he's talking to other people (Oracle, Villians) seemed pretty much just like the cartoons.

Keyser Soze said:

After having sat through season one and part of two of Batman TAS the weekend before the game came out and the rest of two and three over the past two days I can safely say that it is pretty much the same through and through.

Finished up to
the Killer Croc
section. It was tense in some parts, but overall was not a fan of that section.

Oh and all of the
Scarecrow "mind" effects were fuck awesome, even if I knew the graphical glitches were coming it still scared the shit out of me and I was just like "OH FUCKKKKKK"

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
LiK said:
yea, LOTS of exp. a good incentive to hunt for that stuff as much as possible early in the game.

Thats what I've been doing in my second play through now that I know where everything is located.

Keyser Soze said:

Totally disagree about him phoning it in. TAS Batman was always emotionless and stoic. I think you're just too used to Christian Bale's interpretation.

LiK

Gully State said:
Totally disagree about him phoning it in. TAS Batman was always emotionless and stoic. I think you're just too used to Christian Bale's interpretation.

"SWEAR TO ME!!!!"

Been waiting for a week and a half so far for this game to arrive via Amazon...nothing yet =/

Edit: F me for using the 'free shipping' method...I'm cheap :lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Keyser Soze said:

Gotta disagree with this as well. IMO he sounds pretty much like he sounded in the series.

I have to say Mark Hamill's Joker was soooooo good. I thought it was even better than the characterization in the cartoons. The force is definately strong with him. ^.^

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
What
the
FUCK.

I went to play some more Batman: AA on my 360 last night and when I started up the menu, it showed that I had NO progress at all; all 4 save slots said "Start New Game" even though I've had the first save slot dedicated to my normal playthrough that was 73% done since day one.

I checked my HDD and the save file is still there, but it won't show up at all in-game. FUCK.

Domino Theory said:
What
the
FUCK.

I went to play some more Batman: AA on my 360 last night and when I started up the menu, it showed that I had NO progress at all; all 4 save slots said "Start New Game" even though I've had the first save slot dedicated to my normal playthrough that was 73% done since day one.

I checked my HDD and the save file is still there, but it won't show up at all in-game. FUCK.

Holy secretly shifted save files!
That really blows, hopefully there is a quick fix

joesmokey

I was debating on waiting for the PC port of this game, but after reading through this thread I'm going to cave and buy the PS3 version.

The demo was fun and this seems too hard to resist.

Spike

Keyser Soze said:

No way did Kevin Conroy phone in his performance. He didn't miss a beat and sounded exactly like he did during TAS and the Gotham Knight dvd.

But Mark Hamill, what can be said? The man is amazing! I can't wait for Darksiders just to get more of his VA goodness.

joesmokey said:
I was debating on waiting for the PC port of this game, but after reading through this thread I'm going to cave and buy the PS3 version.

The demo was fun and this seems too hard to resist.

Did you
bat
cave? :lol

Known Shippable

Neo Member
Domino Theory said:
What
the
FUCK.

I don't mean to be an asshole but do you have multiple profiles on your Xbox?

123rl

Mark Hamill's name was top of the credits at the end of the game - even above Batman's. It sounds weird but it seems like the right decision. The game is all about Joker and I can't name many games that have brought an enemy to life and done it so well. Most enemy figures are basically inter-changeable between games. The Joker completely fits into the game so well and the game revolves around Batman trying to survive - and defeat - him

123rl said:
Mark Hamill's name was top of the credits at the end of the game - even above Batman's. It sounds weird but it seems like the right decision. The game is all about Joker and I can't name many games that have brought an enemy to life and done it so well. Most enemy figures are basically inter-changeable between games. The Joker completely fits into the game so well and the game revolves around Batman trying to survive - and defeat - him

Often actors are credited in order of appearance. I believe Joker has the first spoken lines in the game.

I agree. This was Joker's story, not Batman's. What an excellent job Mark Hamill did with him too. Everything from his almost musical laugh to his sinister delivery of the line, "Someone finish him off." I read somewhere that this would be the last time Mark provides his talents for the Joker. Is this true?

And Harley's performance was great too. "Oh hiya B-man. Harley Quinn here." Love it.

MattyH

got all 240 ridder trophies etc this afternoon
doing the combat challenges atm but cant get any better than one medal on some of them
any tips

Manager

Don't know how much has been mentioned about sales, but it's selling good in Sweden:

Multiplatform week 35
1. Batman Arkham Asylum (360)
2. Batman Arkham Asylum (PS3)
3. Wii Sports: Resort (Wii)
4. The Sims 3 (PC)
5. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (PC)
6. Call of Duty: World at War (360)
7. World of Warcraft (PC)
8. Rock Band (360)
9. Call of Duty: World at War (PS3)
10. New Super Mario Bros (DS)

I finally got to play the ultra short demo version of this game (pc). Camera took a little while to get used to but once you do it's child's play, visuals look fantastic (physx on medium, details high, 1366x768) and the gameplay is pretty cool, it's been a while since I played a non-fps with kb+mouse and this feels good. All in all, a fun -if short- time was had, surely getting it later on.

Minamu

Did anyone else notice how Batman's beard seems to be growing over the course of the game? He seems to be quite freshly shaven at the beginning but his face is pretty dark by the end (and I don't think it's just dirt & soot). Pretty cool this insane amount of detail Rocksteady put into this.

Also, this article is rather interesting for Batman newbies (mostly, filled with spoilers too, just skip the parts where they show the bad guys in the game):
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-28-hidden-characters-in-batman-arkham-asylum/a-20090902115717671032
on this last page, they explain who that weird guy in the Clayface room is. I'm surprised no one has thought of this until now. Pretty cool too.

The guy with 1 arm who's locked up in a cell walking around & making weird noises is a guy who won a contest & got his face scanned.

And yay, HUSH arrived today :D I absolutely love the coloring so far. Frankly, Jim Lee's drawing kicks ass of course, but it's the inking & coloring that really bring it to life imho.

Manager: Wow, so you're back amongst the living? :D I remember your red avatar ;)

Edit: I've been watching some episodes of the season 1 so far, but I can't recognize Conroy's or Hamill's voices at all. I must be deaf right?

Edit:
Forgeeeeet it. Jeez so absorbed in the discussion can't lend a hand to somebody *hmph*

In case anybody else runs into my problem, Luckily I just updated the DirectX drivers and that seemed to solve the problem.

LiK

Minamu said:
Did anyone else notice how Batman's beard seems to be growing over the course of the game? He seems to be quite freshly shaven at the beginning but his face is pretty dark by the end (and I don't think it's just dirt & soot). Pretty cool this insane amount of detail Rocksteady put into this.

yup, the same way his costume is getting more damaged as the game progresses. they thought of everything!

Just finished this up. I really enjoyed it. I don't think it cracks my top 10 of all time like for some people on here, but it's definitely my game of the year thus far.

My favorite parts of the game were easily the
Scarecrow levels
which were also the levels I had the most trouble with actually. I never really got stuck at any point in the game either.

Finished the game at 72% and missing about 100 riddles. Think I'm going to play through again on normal to find/solve all of them, then go on to hard.

I definitely need some more practice before I get into the challenges. Only one I've tried so far is the first one, and I just broke 14k after about 5 tries.

Top Bottom