• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Asylum |OT| Steroids 'n Counters

EzLink

Banned
1000/1000 :D :D :D

Man, can't believe I've posted over 100 times in here. Amazing amazing game. For sure in my top 10 all time favorites, and it probably will end up cracking my top 5.

So, until any sequels or DLC is announced, I'm out of this thread. I certainly enjoyed the ride with all you fellow gaffers :D Can't wait to do it all again in a few
way too many :(
years when the sequel releases

Finally picked up my last Riddler trophy. Ended up using a guide to find it unfortunately. It was so simple I can't believe I couldn't find it myself. Oh well, at least I went guideless for the rest of the game.

On to hard now!

Just finished Riddlers Challenges. Had to use the 'Internets' to find the last Spirit of Arkham.
Ended up being the one where the warden is held, just after you meet Poison Ivy

Just challenges left, and a couple of Freeflow Achievements.

Lothars

Well I beat this game last night and the joker fight was enjoyable but I though the Ivy fight was harder than it.

I am now just finishing up all the riddler challenges,
I'm at 232 out of 240 and I am missing 1 joker teeth which I wish would show up on the map but the one im stuck at finding is a riddler trophy in the Treatment Center and it says that it should be at the top of the elevator but it's frustrating because I still cannot find it.

It was a great game though and I look forward to replaying the game on hard.

Turfster

Anyone have any tips to get my combo's up higher?
Best I've managed up until now is like, 13 or something (and that only once), so I'm obviously doing something wrong.
(I apologise if this has been explained in depth in the thread somewhere, didn't want to read too much of it so as not to spoil myself)

MMaRsu

I had a pretty cool idea for a sequel and how it could work. Let's say you have Bruce Wayne's mansion, and you have missions during the day where you play as Bruce Wayne. Obviously voiced by Kevin Conroy. These missions could contain stuff like investigating things, or meeting certain people.

During the night, you play as Batman. The game doesn't have a day/night cycle yet relies on story to drive the time forward ( as in Alan Wake ). Have less cutscenes and try to do more stuff ingame. You can roam the entire mansion, and explore the batcave. From the batcave you acquire your missions.. Or at least start your missions there. How they proceed from there is up to the story ofcourse.

To me that would be a pretty cool idea for a potential sequel.

What do you guys think of that?

BeeDog

Finished the game earlier today, awesome, awesome game. Loved pretty much everything in the game other than the mediocre, by-the-books bosses. The game does give off a Bioshock vibe, but I still find this game to be vastly superior to Bioshock in pretty much every way.

Now to grab the challenge trophies, the "finish the game on Hard" one, and the "freeflow combat" trophies. I tried doing the first two combat challenges, but they're frickin' hard; could anyone give hints on how to get a lot of points the easiest way possible? Also, any suggestions on where (and how?) to get the 40-combo trophy would be very appreciated! Sorry for asking again, I can only assume this has been discussed to lengths somewhere, but this thread is ginormous so... if anyone can take a minute or two to give me pointers, I'd deeply appreciate it!

LiK

finished the PS3 version on Hard. not too bad at all. only had trouble in the same spot as Normal on the 360 version. the fight before the final one. anyways, i'm not gonna bother to mention the minor technical differences between the two versions.

witness

Well I hit the frustration wall with this game today. I can't get past
Bane
on hard and my final challenge maps, shock and awe extreme and rumble in the jungle extreme are so goddamn infuriating. Think I'll just continue with my second normal play through so I can just enjoy this game and appreciate it all the more instead of chasing trophies.

beat the game. very enjoyable, but for some reason it made me very dizzy. x_x

loved it. I wanted more enemies, and I appreciate how all enemies were connected to the story well. needed more boss battles; I LOVED Scarecrow, Killer Croc, and Poison Ivy. Joker, Bane, and the titan battles, not so much.

Otherwise, excellent game. I really loved the music, too. I will get 1000/1000 in this.

I love this game more each time I play it.

Today, I
searched sewers for the plant spores
. I don't know why so many people consider it one of the worst parts of the game. I loved it. There is tension
not knowing when Croc will pop out of the water, when it is time to throw a batarang or when it is time to run
. I loved it.

I also loved the bit after
shutting down the three pumps
. The fight is epic.

I will be sad when I beat the game; I don't want it to end.

Mike T

BeeDog said:
Also, any suggestions on where (and how?) to get the 40-combo trophy would be very appreciated!
Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a room near the end filled with 16 clowns who just stand around and applaud your arrival to the Joker's party. You can walk past them, or if you start beating down on one of them the rest will join in.

RavenFox

Banned
Amir0x said:
Clearly, they used riddler as a way to manufacture some "collection" quest. To be fair as far as collection quests go, they were far more interesting than most other games of this type. But they also clearly did not live up to what Riddler should have been doing with his intellect.
True, but you would have people bitchin about how hard the puzzles were if they had went the real Riddler riddle route. Like you mentioned they did it very well and I find them very satisfying. Especially when you unlocked a bio on one of Gothams characters.

MMaRsu said:
I had a pretty cool idea for a sequel and how it could work. Let's say you have Bruce Wayne's mansion...

I think Wayne Manor is the way to go.

Several villains find out who Batman really is (who told them is the big mystery) and unleash an all out assault on the mansion. Like Arkham, the grounds of Wayne Manor ooze atmosphere and serve as a giant set piece to work with.

The setting could also lead to side missions involving other characters. Alfred captured? Nightwing must help and save him.

Arkham Asylum works so well because it is a closed environment full of choice. The game may point you down the hall toward an unavoidable room of 8 armed men. But, it is up to you how to take care of them. I don't think it will work as an open world game.

All that said, I trust RockSteady. If Eidos gives the studio time to cook-up a sequel on its terms, with a good story and highly polished production values, I will be thrilled. I just hope there isn't rush to get a sequel out the door and cash in - this franchise deserves better.

RavenFox

Banned
You know there is something really disturbing about the Asylum when you find rooms the size of a refrigerator box hidden away behind walls forgotten by the world with one chair and other stuff. I think to myself whose worst the prisoners or the people looking after them? Jeez this game... Wow.

Funny, I was thinking Wayne Manor myself. Like it could take place during a classic Bruce Wayne party, and for the first half of the game, he'd have to be changing from Bruce to Batman without people figuring it out. Then all hell breaks loose halfway through.

It's interesting so many people think of Wayne Manor. Makes me think Rocksteady probably has, too.

acevans2

Since they obviously modeled a street or two of Gotham City, as well as that gated entrance with the road lined with trees for the intro movie, I'm surprised we never got to visit it in the game anywhere.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
This game is so fucking good. GOTY for sure. Im pretty sure I will end up owning both the 360 and PS3 versions. It really is that good. :D

Turfster said:
Anyone have any tips to get my combo's up higher?
Best I've managed up until now is like, 13 or something (and that only once), so I'm obviously doing something wrong.
(I apologise if this has been explained in depth in the thread somewhere, didn't want to read too much of it so as not to spoil myself)

I have personally found the following helpful with combos

1) Spread the floor. Yes there will be times where the screen is full of enemies, but try the jump over/evade move (it doesn't cancel your combo streak and it actually adds to your variation points), punch the enemies from one side to another to avoid the chance of you getting hit and it will be easier to use evade since you will see who is coming towards you

2) I don't know if you know this already, but you can use the stick to direct which way Batman attacks. When you are in a combo, batman can dash across the room regardless of the distance of the enemies with the exception of them taking too long to get up

3) Time your strike and counter buttons. Don't mash or hit repeatedly. Think of more along the lines of you playing a fighting game.

4) Try not to use counter too much. You have a much better chance of avoiding or continuing your attack when you are flowing with combos than trying to counter the enemies. The timing of the counter attacks are a bit tricky and even at times unfair in my opinion

5) Use batrang by tapping the button. If you have it upgraded it can stun 3 enemies at once and that will leave you room to attack the other enemies without being worried about getting hit from behind.

Basically what I am trying to say is: imagine your have 6 enemies on your screen. I would strike one or two for about 5 combos, evade, hit the other enemies, dashing the floor with my combos, use batrangs to ensure that I only deal with low number of enemies at once, throw in some special take downs or throws here and there, and use counter when I have the space or timing to do so

Holy shit! Only missing Shock and Awe (EXTREME) and its kicking my ass! I can never make it before the counter ends in the fourth round. I got the points for the 'Three Bats' but I always die when the floor lits up. GOD!

SketchTheArtist said:
Holy shit! Only missing Shock and Awe (EXTREME) and its kicking my ass! I can never make it before the counter ends in the fourth round. I got the points for the 'Three Bats' but I always die when the floor lits up. GOD!

Special take down move is your friend...make it your lover

BeautifulMemory said:
Special take down move is your friend...make it your lover

You mean the one with 'Y' (or Triangle for PS3)? I try that but there's so much enemies. I try to disperse them as much as possible so that I have time to knock them out but there's way too much enemies.

Cipher

MMaRsu said:
I had a pretty cool idea for a sequel and how it could work. Let's say you have Bruce Wayne's mansion, and you have missions during the day where you play as Bruce Wayne. Obviously voiced by Kevin Conroy. These missions could contain stuff like investigating things, or meeting certain people.

During the night, you play as Batman. The game doesn't have a day/night cycle yet relies on story to drive the time forward ( as in Alan Wake ). Have less cutscenes and try to do more stuff ingame. You can roam the entire mansion, and explore the batcave. From the batcave you acquire your missions.. Or at least start your missions there. How they proceed from there is up to the story ofcourse.

I really like that idea actually. I never even thought of playing as Bruce Wayne.

SketchTheArtist said:
You mean the one with 'Y' (or Triangle for PS3)? I try that but there's so much enemies. I try to disperse them as much as possible so that I have time to knock them out but there's way too much enemies.

use batrangs as well. I mean simply tap your left trigger (is that the button? sorry I have the PS3 version). That will stun 3 enemies at once, often knock the rods out of the enemies' hands, and give your time to use special take downs.

I personally tried to aim the take downs on those rod fuckers or the ones with the knives. That way I can keep my combo going

ravien56

So after just finishing Dead Space and checking every corner for stash boxes, does this game have anything like this where I need to check every room for any secrets?

ravien56 said:
So after just finishing Dead Space and checking every corner for stash boxes, does this game have anything like this where I need to check every room for any secrets?

yes and no. Most secrets come along the way as your are exploring through the game. You have the Detective Vision which basically sees through everything. Some secrets are more tricky given the angle you must be in. Lastly you will get a map (if you choose to get it and use it) that will give you the estimate of where every secrets are, but it's still up to you to figure them out.

ravien56 said:

Yes, definitely. There are even bathroom stalls to search!

ravien56

BeautifulMemory said:
yes and no. Most secrets come along the way as your are exploring through the game. You have the Detective Vision which basically sees through everything. Some secrets are more tricky given the angle you must be in. Lastly you will get a map (if you choose to get it and use it) that will give you the estimate of where every secrets are, but it's still up to you to figure them out.
FUUUUUUUUUUU but there's no treasure boxes or whatever right?

JaseMath

I am in awe with how good this game is. One of the best games I've played this generation - definitely the best action game (own only a PS3 and Wii, Gears defense force). :D

Amir0x

Banned
RavenFox said:
True, but you would have people bitchin about how hard the puzzles were if they had went the real Riddler riddle route. Like you mentioned they did it very well and I find them very satisfying. Especially when you unlocked a bio on one of Gothams characters.

Sure, of course.

In a Batman AA sequel, if the Riddler actually appears in-person, I am sure his riddles and scenes will be far more dynamic and complex. However, I am not sure they won't save that until the last game in the series... as it is, the Riddler puzzles are simply too perfect and smooth a match for the "exploration freak" in all of us.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to start my third go through. The song "Feels like the first time" by Foreigner comes to mind.

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
Sure, of course.

In a Batman AA sequel, if the Riddler actually appears in-person, I am sure his riddles and scenes will be far more dynamic and complex. However, I am not sure they won't save that until the last game in the series... as it is, the Riddler puzzles are simply too perfect and smooth a match for the "exploration freak" in all of us.

I'd like to know who it was exactly at Rocksteady that came up with the Riddler/collectibles concept. It's one of finest examples I've ever seen of a game successfully marrying a specific character with a gameplay mechanic. It's even more impressive here since it's doing so with a character from an outside source, and a guy who dates back a lot further than video games in general.

cjdunn

MMaRsu said:

Hey that's my idea!!

Okay, I don't own it, but I was thinking along similar lines of playing both sides of his identity. :)

Takao

Banned
Ugh, I suck at this game after putting it down for a few days while playing Dissidia, and Broken Destiny. I'm at the Botanical and am getting my ass handed to me by those loonatics, ugh.

Edit- GAF is my motivation, just like before, I've just gotten past that part :lol

BeeDog

Mike T said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a room near the end filled with 16 clowns who just stand around and applaud your arrival to the Joker's party. You can walk past them, or if you start beating down on one of them the rest will join in.

:( I just got past that area yesterday and finished the game. Any way to get back to it in some way?

hamchan

BeeDog said:
:( I just got past that area yesterday and finished the game. Any way to get back to it in some way?
Nope, you have to play through the whole game again. As long as you get the party pooper achievement you have no reason to go back. Just play some extreme combat challenges to get the 40x combo.

Top Bottom