• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

The 360 version has frozen on me twice. Once on start up and once when I began the game. I kept getting punch sounds and had to quit to dashboard..

I literally laughed out loud when I open the box and found a 5-page full colour advertisement for all sorts of shit. Saving the environment my arse.

GQman2121

Banned
Maddness said:
I have it on PS3 and it runs fine. I did have 1 or 2 instances where the sound skipped, but it never happened again. Go for it.
The audio has been skipping for me whenever I free aim with the batclaw. I'm on a 60 gig ps3 if that matters.

I just finished the game, read further if you only did so.

Really unexpected, don't know what to think of what just happened. Felt like it was done too early, maybe because I've been playing it for long period of times. J's dead :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Buckethead said:
Yes if you complete
Azrael's challenges
you cannot get "Catch".

You'd have to wait until a 2nd play through.

Was going to say, can't you remote boomerang back to yourself? Or was that a different achievement?

Lonestar said:
Was going to say, can't you remote boomerang back to yourself? Or was that a different achievement?
That was in AA.

This one requires you throw the batarang
to someone else and the only person you can do that with is Azrael

McLovin

Probably my GOTY. I'm like half way through. Anyone else almost drop a duece when
that fucking shark came out of nowhere.
After the shock wore off, I couldn't help but laugh as I punched the crap out of it.
Also, that mr. freeze battle was freaking awesome.
I got that robin dlc with my purchase and I have to say I really like the way he handles. He's mostly like batman, but his grapple attack pulls him toward the enemy and he kicks them when he reaches them(I think you have to hold triangle for him to be pulled or something like that) his electric zapper attack is also different, he places an explosive device on the enemy's back. Everything else is the same, except for how he moves.

LosDaddie

Banned
How long does the campaign take? I heard around 12hrs.

I'm thinking about power-gaming through this game over the next 3 weeks and trading it in for credit towards Zelda.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Buckethead said:
That was in AA.

This one requires you throw the batarang
to someone else and the only person you can do that with is Azrael

Well, I had gotten an achievement for remote catching a batarang in AC 2 days ago, but I can't remember the name of the achievement. Might have just been a riddler trophy, instead of an achievement.

Nightz

Awesome game is awesome. You know how I can tell? My wife, who is not a gamer at all and usually leaves the room when I sit down to play a game, has watched every single minute that I've played of Arkham City. Right when I got home from work yesterday, she asked, "So when are you gonna play Batman again?" She's hooked!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LosDaddie said:
How long does the campaign take? I heard around 12hrs.

I'm thinking about power-gaming through this game over the next 3 weeks and trading it in for credit towards Zelda.
I'm at a little over 10 hours and my main story progress is at 76%.

Melchiah

Just got the steelbook Joker edition.

PNB0f.jpg

Since Ephemeris was the only one who seemed to be interested in the four Gamestop exclusive posters I offered earlier on this thread, I'll send them to him.

TB5XZ.jpg

RPGCrazied

Beat it! :) Mega ending spoilers!!!

The fight with Clayface was awesome, and The Joker dying. What a way to end the game, though I seriously doubt he is really dead. Bring on Arkham City 2!

How do you change your costume skin in the new game plus? Haven't seen in option to do that.

nismogrendel said:
Is Toys R Us the best choice for buying AC?

The website says it comes with a Batman figure, all of the other retailer specific stuff was only for preorder right?

I would actually recommend best buy. The Robin DLC is dope awesome. His fighting animations blow my mind!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
keltickennedy said:
I would actually recommend best buy. The Robin DLC is dope awesome. His fighting animations blow my mind!
Is Robin DLC opening up later for everyone else for free done the line? All this DLC that can only be bought at one place, kind of cheap to make people pay for not buing multiple copies of the game.

Neiteio

thecouncil said:
can i ask a possibly dumb question?

why in the world am i beating the hell out of random groups of thugs i find on the streets?

like, i listen to their conversations for a bit and then when ive had enough, i jump down and knock them all out.

besides being scumbags (for which they are already in "prison"), is there any reason?
Most of the thugs I've eavesdropped on were plotting to hunt down and horribly murder other thugs and/or political prisoners, so... I don't feel too bad non-lethally launching them into concrete floors and steel railings. They can't hurt each other if they're unconscious (though seems a bit unwise of Batman to leave their knocked-out bodies lying in plain sight in a prison that includes cannibals)!

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Is Robin DLC opening up later for everyone else for free done the line? All this DLC that can only be bought at one place, kind of cheap to make people pay for not buing multiple copies of the game.

It won't be free. It will be available for $7 next month though.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
That's some BSSSSSSssssssssssssssss

So was the Catwoman easter egg for
going right instead of left worth it? I just went straight to the left because, save Batman, duhhhhh, as a player of course I'd wanna help a bro out. Can I just replay the episode to find out?

Sullichin

Lol.. in the beginning.
why wouldn't Joker take off Batman's mask when he was knocked out? Talia Al Ghul had no problem removing it

BeeDog

Got home with my Steelbook collector's edition earlier today, woo, but won't be able to play it until tomorrow at least. :(

The Steelbook is of fucking shitty quality, feels flimsy as hell, especially compared to my other Steelbooks. A bit disappointed, to say the least.

McLovin

Dammit I was in the
freefall
section and thought the skip button was a qte. Anyone know if I can find a video of this sequence... It freaking saves right after.

Sullichin said:
Lol.. in the beginning.
why wouldn't Joker take off Batman's mask when he was knocked out? Talia Al Ghul had no problem removing it

It's a common Batman theme, The Dark Knight even deals with it when Joker threatens to kill the accountant with information. Joker doesn't want to know who Batman is, he just wants to know Batman as Batman and doesn't care who's underneath. He also doesn't want Batman to be outed and locked up, otherwise he wouldn't have anyone to mess with. :p

SpeedingUptoStop said:
That's some BSSSSSSssssssssssssssss

So was the Catwoman easter egg for
going right instead of left worth it? I just went straight to the left because, save Batman, duhhhhh, as a player of course I'd wanna help a bro out. Can I just replay the episode to find out?

What follows is a huge spoiler, don't read it if you don't want to spoil the heist part of Catwoman's story.

If you choose right instead of left you walk through the door into
Gotham city
if you keep walking up the stairs you see
credits roll, Oracle comes on the radio and starts talking about Batman dying. Then she starts talking about people storming Wayne manor. It totally fucked me up, I thought it was like getting the bad ending on Super Metroid or something. After a few seconds the game rewinds and lets you redo that decision. I didn't try the right door again, I'm curious what happens a second time.

Hats off to Rocksteady, my heart has been pounding playing this game. Great campaign.

McLovin said:
Dammit I was in the
freefall
section and thought the skip button was a qte. Anyone know if I can find a video of this sequence... It freaking saves right after.

Right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMMWAgZmYww&t=3m50s

WARNING - END GAME CINEMATIC SPOILER

.GqueB.

Banned
The Antitype said:
Both games are awesome, but I definitely prefer the more structured, tightly paced feel of the first game.

Yeah, it's cool to be able to go around Gotham, but to do what? Beat up random thugs for XP? Fly through hoops? Answer phones and bus across the city to answer another one? Pick up collectables? This is the same repetitive shit that people rightfully blasted the open-world Spider-Man games for. There are even balloons!
Agreed. I generally dont like open world games so I was hesitant here. Im not very far in and Im enjoying it somewhat but the first game is leagues better.

My biggest (yet small) gripe here is that they dont quite explain why he's missing gadgets and combat moves. In the first game, you have a clear idea of why he is handicapped. He left some of his stuff at the batcave and you have to get it back. Here he just... doesnt know things for some reason. "OH I FORGOT I HAD THIS BATSWARM MOVE. LEMME 'BUY' IT." Seems out of the blue to me especially since, again, they made an attempt to explain it in the first game.

And I agree with your second point. The reason I dont quite love open world games is because the story never really makes sense. Like in GTA games. "My friend is dying, but wait lemme stop and look for some pigeons." And here "Im dying of an unknown virus and I dont know how long I have... but lemme find some more riddler trophies before rescuing freeze." Theres always a clear disconnect. And I can never shake that feeling. Yea I can just got through the story mode but then I feel like Im missing something. You can make the argument that since you're Batman, you have to make that tough decision to put others before yourself but then there isnt any downside to NOT doing the side missions as far as Ive seen. Nothing is urgent. Nothing is and emergency. Its just sort of "there." Like its all pointless.

I loved the intentional pacing and linearity of the first game. I felt like Batman. In this game I feel like a buffoon flying around in a Bat suit, confused about where to go and suffering from selective amnesia regarding what I learned in training.

And the challenge rooms (where you have to clear a room of baddies) are much less satisfying for some reason. They were set up for you to be a badass in the first game. Here it just seems kind of random. In AA they kind of went out of their way to make you feel like a badass. Thats completely lost somehow. Somewhat disappointing so far. Hopefully it gets better.

How do I get the Gotham Base Jumper achievement?
I beat the game and the very top of Hugo Strange's is now off limits due to the explosion. I've gone up as high as I can go, but every time I start gliding I hit an invisible wall. What gives?

W Hudson

Any crazy person here gotten all 440 riddles completed? I'm on my second playthrough and making a concerted effort to get as many riddles done as possible, I think I'm up to 110 this go round (only picked up 80 in my first playthrough) after spending a solid 5 hours just flying around and looking for riddles to solve. I like how the challenge in getting a lot of them has been upped significantly.

VindictiveGnome said:
How do I get the Gotham Base Jumper achievement?
I beat the game and the very top of Hugo Strange's is now off limits due to the explosion. I've gone up as high as I can go, but every time I start gliding I hit an invisible wall. What gives?
That's kind of a disappointing one.
The tower is a closed off area, you can't fly all the way down to the city, so you have to cheese it by just flying out to the boundary so Batman turns around automatically over and over. I don't think you can glide and dive and glide for a whole minute without reaching the level where Batman grapples back of, so you just have to cheese the outer boundary.

W Hudson said:
Any crazy person here gotten all 440 riddles completed?
315 here. I'm trying to clear out as many as I can before I turn to Youtube and I've still got a bunch of indoor areas to run through. I really like some of the more challenging, multi-stage ones.

goodcow

Question regarding the soundtrack - it's for sale at Amazon, but as a "manufactured on demand CD-R." Does this mean they're just burning the compressed audio tracks to CD-R, or is it actually lossless? If it's still compressed, I'm better off buying it on iTunes so I have it in the cloud.

matrix-cat said:
That's kind of a disappointing one.
The tower is a closed off area, you can't fly all the way down to the city, so you have to cheese it by just flying out to the boundary so Batman turns around automatically over and over. I don't think you can glide and dive and glide for a whole minute without reaching the level where Batman grapples back of, so you just have to cheese the outer boundary.

315 here. I'm trying to clear out as many as I can before I turn to Youtube and I've still got a bunch of indoor areas to run through. I really like some of the more challenging, multi-stage ones.
Wow. That is extremely lame. Thanks for the reply!

backflip10019 said:
I'm gonna play the shit out of this tonight. GF is out of town, tonight is all beers and Batman.

like.gif

that's what i'm doing tonight.. my wife likes to watch me playing catwoman and i like watching catwoman.

gdt

How can I chose to play as Catwoman for a bit? Don't wanna do any story stuff, just hop around town. Can I solve riddles as her?

Top Bottom