• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Argh, hate to do it but I need to ask for help on a couple of these Riddler physical challenges.

How do I do a double Aerial Attack? I've tried having two enemies stunned at the same time and pressing X twice on each (resulting in me simply flipping over the second), and doing one aerial attack sequence one after the other (O,X,X).. what is the proper method for doing this?

Second, what the hell is a grapnel boost takedown? I thought it might be the clothesline that Batman does when you L1+Triangle someone and then press [] afterwards, but apparently not.

Lastly, I'm having issues with getting smoke pellets to "disorientate enemies into shooting each other". Any tips?

Edit: Disorientate enemies with smoke pellet is easy. I thought they had to be armed, so I was trying to do it in the predator-style rooms. Never tried to use it during fistfights lol.

Also, I figured out the grapnel boost takedown. If someone happens to be on the ledge where you grapnel boost (R1, then double X/A), you'll take them down as well. Not sure if this requires a Triangle/Y press though, for I was mashing it anyway.

Still need help with the double Aerial Attack, though!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
vixlar said:
True Story

But...

But I got a little dissapointed that Victor Zass didn't kill that women from the conversations in AA. Somewhere in Arkham City, Batman says that he could save her

Well, since all the tapes in AA take place in the "past", it could be explained away that Batman saved her, captured Zsasz, and that's why he's in the Asylum during the game. Though, not explained that way in AA, it does mention that she lived in AC

Can someone please help me? I'm several hours into the game, but I can't seem to make progress on the 'Enigma Conundrum' side mission. It's at 5% completion, and the map is urging me to 'Rescue the hostage from the riddler room'. There's a quest icon on the map close to the Church/Medical Center, but when I go there I don't see any hostage. There's a building with an alley below, but no idea what to do.....

EDIT: The 'Black Canary' building is right there. There's a big green riddler question mark on the wall, but I'm clueless as to what to do...

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out. Duh.

Evolved1 said:
I still can't beat the last catwoman mission... lol was so close!

I should have upgraded armor during the campaign. I just cannot take a hit at all... instant death.

Rocksteady... this game has been an absolute joy to play. But suddenly introducing respawning guards out of the blue like this is pretty retarded.
I had no upgrades when I did the last catwoman mission too.
Don't worry about the other thugs. Try to distract them and wait for Two-Face to be isolated, then strike! I got it by repeating that process.

Are the Riddler informants/thugs randomly generated?

Or if I accidentally knock one out, do I lose all the infor (ie, map icons) that he would have given me, forever?

xxracerxx said:
You are grossly misinformed. You will just be missing out on the Catwoman sections (somewhere around 4 short story parts) and the Catwoman challenges.

What happens if you don't have Catwoman content installed? Do you see a cutscene instead of playing the level?

The Antitype said:

Or if I accidentally knock one out, do I lose all the infor (ie, map icons) that he would have given me, forever?
They're random. If you mess up don't worry about it, you'll find another.

JohngPR

The Antitype said:
Real talk.

The psychiatrist session recordings in Arkham Asylum were way cooler than ANY collectable in this game.

There are still some of them for certain characters. If you go into a bio, you can access them...but there's only a handful of them. Not sure why that wasn't made more obvious, I kind of stumbled across them.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Did the final Catwoman mission. Fun stuff, although a bit of an underwhelming coda.
Two Face's GASP before he got punched was hilarious. What a lil bitch.

I can't really place any of the boss battles in this game over the other. Rocksteady did an amazing job after the first game to bring variety to them. Not one felt the same, which is the opposite of how AA rolled. Excellent story. I'm 100% done with 45% overall competed. I think I'm only gonna do the sidemissions from here out, not sure about NG+, dunno if I'm good enough for that yet, heh. I've only collected 66 Riddler trophies casually through the game, I don't think I can handle scavenged for almost 350+ more.

JohngPR said:
There are still some of them for certain characters. If you go into a bio, you can access them...but there's only a handful of them. Not sure why that wasn't made more obvious, I kind of stumbled across them.
They're unlocked by completing rows of riddler challenges in particular areas. They're as good as they were in the first game, and there's just as many as well.

JohngPR

I'm posting this for a friend

Would anyone be interested in a character skin trade? He'd offer a Batman Beyond skin for PS3 or 360 (either one) in exchange for a Batman Animated series one for PS3.

PM me if interested.

Revolutionary said:
They're unlocked by completing rows of riddler challenges in particular areas. They're as good as they were in the first game, and there's just as many as well.

Right, you unlock them. You don't collect them.

I'd rather find them in the environment than have to complete a whole wack of shit to listen to them.

Maybe that's just me.

JohngPR

Revolutionary said:

Ah, I didn't know there was a progression to them, thanks!

The Antitype said:

They'll come back. Best way to do that is to do the next story chunk.

I really like the Riddler thugs. They mix up combat, because not only do I have to knock out all these dudes without dying, I know have to manage this one guy without KOing him.

I almost fell victim to a villains nefarious deeds, upon turning on the game I was immediately whisked out the menu with a message basically saying of "save data corrupted! delete your save data from the hard drive"
Fortunately this was thwarted by simply reentering the game.
Clealry the natural evolution of a certain AA scarecrow segment

LordAlu

Dat ending...

131482948938.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
revolverjgw said:
Doesn't it go without saying that Batman will at some point come to blows with a shark?

sharkrepellent.jpg

Pretty much.

SGXmu.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Revolutionary said:
Still need help with the double Aerial Attack, though!

Basically you have to have at least two enemies in combat. Stun only one enemy with your cape, the other enemy seemingly MUST be normal(not stunned). Jump over stunned guy(A,A on 360) and during Batman's flip jump animation keep the stick tilted toward the second enemy while at the same time hitting punch, and Batman will land on second enemy and it will count.

So basically(on 360): B(cape stun)->A,A(flip over stunned guy)->Lstick+X(attack second enemy during flip jump in mid-air).

The moveslist sort of explains this in the 'aerial attack' section too. But you'll know when it works. If you are flip jumping and merely landing on the same stunned guy you jumped over, it doesn't count.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Did the final Catwoman mission. Fun stuff, although a bit of an underwhelming coda.
Two Face's GASP before he got punched was hilarious. What a lil bitch.

I can't really place any of the boss battles in this game over the other. Rocksteady did an amazing job after the first game to bring variety to them. Not one felt the same, which is the opposite of how AA rolled. Excellent story. I'm 100% done with 45% overall competed. I think I'm only gonna do the sidemissions from here out, not sure about NG+, dunno if I'm good enough for that yet, heh. I've only collected 66 Riddler trophies casually through the game, I don't think I can handle scavenged for almost 350+ more.

Heh, beat the game with only 66 trophies? Damn, I'm up to 170 already and I'm only 25% through the story so far
En route to see Ra's
. I'm spending waaaay too much time doing Riddler shit I guess.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Solo said:
Is there no manual saving in the game? 100% autosave?
It saves pretty much as soon as you do something of note. Such as win a fight/pick up a trophy/accomplish a task/etc.

Vire

The Antitype said:
Real talk.

The psychiatrist session recordings in Arkham Asylum were way cooler than ANY collectable in this game.
You unlock audio tapes for completing rows of Riddler challenges. :)

In addition you get a whole bunch of short stories, character trophies and concept art.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
JohngPR said:
I think I found an
Uncharted
reference in the game...LOL

Not sure if that's really a spoiler since it's unrelated to the game but I spoiler tagged anyway.

Or it could be my lack of DC knowledge getting the best of me....here is a pic of what I found.
Ha! That is pretty cool if it is in reference to what you mention. I cannot think of something in the DC universe that would explain it as well as what you said.

JohngPR

xxracerxx said:
Ha! That is pretty cool if it is in reference to what you mention. I cannot think of something in the DC universe that would explain it as well as what you said.

Right? I mean...what else could it be? I found it in
the morgue in the GCPD
, LOL.

789shadow

Banned
I cannot get this one frickin Trophy. It's immediately to your left as you enter
the Torture Chamber in the museum. It's up on a catwalk. I can't figure out how to get up there.

The
Mr. Freeze
bossfight is pretty cool. You're forced to implement a lot of different tactics, and reflect on what you've been learning so far. Good stuff. The controls and camera are far from ideal for this kind of thing, though. I HATE how you have to be crouching to do a corner cover, otherwise he'll just jump up and climb shit like an idiot.

Massa

RoboPlato said:
There's one really awesome Easter Egg if you do something in one of the Catwoman sections. I found it by accident and it was one of the coolest things in the game if you discover it on your own. You wouldn't miss anything aside from that but the Catwoman sections are really short anyway and break up the flow of Batman's sections a bit. I liked them.

Evolved1 said:
I liked the Catwoman sections, but they aren't critical to the story. Honestly they feel a little tacked on.

They add to the game, certainly, but it's not a huge deal. Second time though the game you might even appreciate them more because they'll add a little new car smell to the campaign..

Thanks for the responses. Spicing up the second playthrough is exactly what I was thinking of.

789shadow said:
I cannot get this one frickin Trophy. It's immediately to your left as you enter
the Torture Chamber in the museum. It's up on a catwalk. I can't figure out how to get up there.
There's an elevated platform near one of the other doors in that room. Use the Line Launcher from there.

revolverjgw said:
The
Mr. Freeze
bossfight is pretty cool. You're forced to implement a lot of different tactics, and reflect on what you've been learning so far. Good stuff. The controls and camera are far from ideal for this kind of thing, though. I HATE how you have to be crouching to do a corner cover, otherwise he'll just jump up and climb shit like an idiot.
It was until I realized there was one tactic the mofo couldn't resist

Sneak-Behind attack.

calder

I feel like a sucker, but I bought the iPad map app. It's pretty slickly put together, and when I do trophy/collectable runs in games I have my iPad beside me the whole time anyway..

calder said:
I feel like a sucker, but I bought the iPad map app. It's pretty slickly put together, and when I do trophy/collectable runs in games I have my iPad beside me the whole time anyway..

You're not the only one, not only did I buy the CE Guide but also the app =/

So I finished it.

I'm still disappointed by the fact that Strange/R'as was kept so separate from Joker/Talia in the ending. Things should have come together better as far as Protocol 10, the League of Assassins, the Titan cure and such. It just didn't jive together the way that it should have in my opinion. It's a nice ending, but after all the setup they gave to Hugo Strange and Protocol 10, it was horribly anticlimactic with no boss fight and it was resolved much too easily. I feel like I could have done that from the very start of the game: steal the Tyger master control chip from a helicopter, break into the tower, fuck Strange up. There was absolutely nothing stopping me from doing that from the instant I entered AC.

krameriffic said:
So I finished it.

I'm still disappointed by the fact that Strange/R'as was kept so separate from Joker/Talia in the ending. Things should have come together better as far as Protocol 10, the League of Assassins, the Titan cure and such. It just didn't jive together the way that it should have in my opinion. It's a nice ending, but after all the setup they gave to Hugo Strange and Protocol 10, it was horribly anticlimactic with no boss fight and it was resolved much too easily. I feel like I could have done that from the very start of the game: steal the Tyger master control chip from a helicopter, break into the tower, fuck Strange up. There was absolutely nothing stopping me from doing that from the instant I entered AC.
Yes there was.

How could you stop something you don't know about? And did you forgot that Batman was poisoned or whatever. He'd have to stop his cure first before trying to take down something he has no clue about
Just saying, there was plenty in the way.

Top Bottom