• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Eye Drop said:
Is there anything missable in this game that can't be accessed later? Any achievements one could miss out on in a single play through?

Not an achievement, but (catwoman fairly late game spoiler below)

You will be given a mission to steal
one of Poison Ivy's plants
(<- not much of a spoiler), when you are leaving you will walk up to
a tv screen with Batman on it
(<- barely a spoiler).

You have two options: take a left or take a right. Take the right.
You might rage for a sec, but keep watching
(<- not really much of a spoiler either).

Tried to be as vague as possible, it was an awesome section.

Zeliard

Liferebooted said:
Same, I want a refund =\

I enjoyed Arkham Asylum but I like this a lot better. The freedom to chase various objectives and basically fly around in a large open environment is refreshing and feels great, and the number of combat tweaks and upgrades are a lot of fun to play with. The open world makes it so you're not relegated to the challenge rooms if you just want to be Batman and go around saving people and kicking ass.

Much like the combat, gliding also has just the right amount of a skill-based element to it to keep it fun to pull off yet still make it feel effortless and look cool. The gameplay particularly shines in comparison to open world games like Assassin's Creed, a series which basically plays itself (they're enjoyable games but certainly not for gameplay depth or challenge). I also think Arkham City is a leap above the Infamous series since the combat is so much better.

The story sections and big side missions so far also seem to happen indoors where the level design is largely similar to Arkham Asylum, so it's a nice mix of the two.

Einbroch said:
Wow, so those AR things were easy as hell.

I'm doing so much side-crap I'm barely into the story.

I had a hard time with the one where you fly into the mouth and down a little hallway for the last ring (same hallway has a little train in it - it's by the steel mill).

Hey what do ya know, postin in this thread made me a member :)

JambiBum

So for the achievement for gliding for a minute from the top of the tower how exactly do you do it? Every time I try it just makes me bat claw back up. I've beaten the game.

Zeliard said:
I enjoyed Arkham Asylum but I like this a lot better. The freedom to chase various objectives and basically fly around in a large open environment is refreshing and feels great, and the number of combat tweaks and upgrades are a lot of fun to play with. The open world makes it so you're not relegated to the challenge rooms if you just want to be Batman and go around saving people and kicking ass.

Much like the combat, gliding also has just the right amount of a skill-based element to it to keep it fun to pull off yet still make it feel effortless and look cool. The gameplay particularly shines in comparison to open world games like Assassin's Creed, a series which basically plays itself (they're enjoyable games but certainly not for gameplay depth or challenge). I also think Arkham City is a leap above the Infamous series since the combat is so much better.

The story sections and big side missions so far also seem to happen indoors where the level design is largely similar to Arkham Asylum, so it's a nice mix of the two.

Both games are awesome, but I definitely prefer the more structured, tightly paced feel of the first game.

Yeah, it's cool to be able to go around Gotham, but to do what? Beat up random thugs for XP? Fly through hoops? Answer phones and bus across the city to answer another one? Pick up collectables? This is the same repetitive shit that people rightfully blasted the open-world Spider-Man games for. There are even balloons!

The Antitype said:
Both games are awesome, but I definitely prefer the more structured, tightly paced feel of the first game.

Yeah, it's cool to be able to go around Gotham, but to do what? Beat up random thugs for XP? Fly through hoops? Answer phones and bus across the city to answer another one? Pick up collectables? This is the same repetitive shit that people rightfully blasted the open-world Spider-Man games for. There are even balloons!

I think the boss fights in AC made up for any of that. Instead of fighting a titan, 2 titans, Bane (really strong titan) and 2 titans + goons, each boss fight in AC felt fairly unique and really fun.

Luthos

Jintor said:
What's with these fuckers not sliding erry day?

Slide tackle to begin combat is awesome, alongside air divebomb.
Hell yea, I love divebombing. I'll be gliding around, see some random dudes or just get to my destination, and I always seem to divebomb to make my entrance. The one straight down, or the one that you lock on to people with.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
The Riddler challenges are just ridic in this game man. I can't imagine the lengths of insane people lose themselves in to go after all 400. Standing on multiple launch pads, bataranging through vents, electrified fenced all kinds of shit. I just wanna pull down walls and collect my god damn trophy! I CAN'T EVEN PULL DOWN WALLS ANYMORE!!

Yeah...I hate the new Riddler challenges. They were perfect in AA but this time they went too far

Luthos said:
Hell yea, I love divebombing. I'll be gliding around, see some random dudes or just get to my destination, and I always seem to divebomb to make my entrance. The one straight down, or the one that you lock on to people with.

The only ones that are actually fun, and actually fit the character of the Riddler, are the ones where he gives you a clue, and you have to basically 'take a photo' of the relevant scene.

All the others are shit.

Jintor

Yeah, it was difficult enough to suspend my disbelief about Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylu- wait, no, I don't care, it's a clear game element and it's fun, whatever.

The challenges definitely are crazy in this

Zeliard

The Antitype said:

It's basically as repetitive as you make it for yourself. If you tire of one thing, move on to another. Personally with the Riddler trophies I do the same thing I did with Arkham Asylum - I try to solve them as I see them but I otherwise don't go around chasing for them; that would probably get tedious (I'm very much not a collectathon/achievement guy at all).

Same thing with fighting random goons. I don't fight them for the XP; I fight them because I enjoy the combat and occasionally while gliding around I feel like smashing someone's face into concrete. If I want to move the story along and get access to more gadgets and such, I do story missions for a while. It's basically like any other open world game.

I don't think keeping it restricted to corridors really adds anything to a series like this, and Batman is a character who shouldn't just be confined to limited environments. Here you have the freedom to move the game along at your own pace. If you're just interested in story and don't care about the extraneous stuff then you can just do the main missions and story-related side stuff and ignore the various distractions. The main stuff takes place indoors and is pretty much just as guided and corridor-y as anything in Arkham Asylum.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Last night, I was playing a Catwoman-sequence, and the light from one of the choppers came across the screen and lit up Selina... my GF's reaction was "DAT ASS!"

I love her!

JMizzlin

nismogrendel said:
Not an achievement, but (catwoman fairly late game spoiler below)

You will be given a mission to steal
one of Poison Ivy's plants
(<- not much of a spoiler), when you are leaving you will walk up to
a tv screen with Batman on it
(<- barely a spoiler).

You have two options: take a left or take a right. Take the right.
You might rage for a sec, but keep watching
(<- not really much of a spoiler either).

Tried to be as vague as possible, it was an awesome section.

That's great mate, thanks a lot! :D

Luthos

Just quit, and I'm about 76% through the main story, 40-ish% through completion.

Vague spoilers on where I'm at:
I finally got the Tyger municipal codes for unlocking those damn console locks. And holy carp at the stuff going down when you get them.

I am LOVING this game so far. Great balance between open world, yet the more direct little sequences when you enter buildings and stuff. And this game (and AA) seem to have the more enjoyable collectibles in games, imo. And while sorta simple, I adore this combat system. So addicting. To the point where you look for thugs just to beat up some fools. Though to be fair it has quite a few additional combat moves more than AA did. And I did only one challenge map so far, but I'm waiting till I beat the game AND get 100% in the campaign stuff before I tackle the rest. And I'm actually psyched to do so. I love the challenge maps.

I decided to take a break from Dark Souls last night after losing 14k due to something stupid, and put this in. 24 hours later, I'm 57% done with the story mode about 33% done overall. Holy crap this game is awesome. I feel like I'm a lot better at combat than I was in Arkham Asylum, although I'm definitely not anywhere close to amazing gold medal style yet.

Mid-game boss spoiler:
The battle with Mr. Freeze was everything I hoped it would be from the Mr. Freeze trailer that came out earlier. Having to come up with different style takedowns each time really made you think about everything you had learned, and it really felt awesome. He's my second favorite Batman villain so it was great to see him done justice and have the best boss fight (so far at least).

Phone booth side mission spoiler:
Really liked the Zsasz stuff too, especially at his hideout. Felt suitably tense having to rush across the city, and then his final room was a great mix of stealth and badassery.

And finally: The Riddler is my favorite Batman villain so I'm loving all the Ridder challenges. If it was anybody else I'd probably not care as much, but I think I'm gonna OCD completing his challenges just because it's the Riddler. The only complaint is that it's a lot harder to find the actual riddles (not the trophies, but the "take a picture" things) in Arkham City just because the place is so big and there are so many levels.

I'm really enjoying this. May not return to Dark Souls until I've beaten it.

brb

Incendiary said:
I'm really enjoying this. May not return to Dark Souls until I've beaten it.

Haha, just the opposite for me :p while I loved what I've played so far, Dark Souls is still consuming most of my gaming time. Maybe I should give DS a break and get some good Batman time in...

Is Toys R Us the best choice for buying AC?

The website says it comes with a Batman figure, all of the other retailer specific stuff was only for preorder right?

Anyone having the game bring up the Catwoman missions, and dump them back to the main menu? This has happened to me twice for the very first Catwoman mission.
OAN: Sold my Robin code for $26 on eBay

AniHawk

everything's been pretty great so far with the exception of
ra's al ghul. holy fucking hell. that voice isn't david warner or anything befitting of ra's. and the characterization fucking sucks.

oh and catwoman too i guess. a bit too cheesy for this game.

metalshade

Just picked it up from HMV this morning for 99p with the trade in rage deal, I got the lenticular package, free t shirt, and catwoman DLC, however, I have NO instruction manual....is there a mistake, or did WB really publish a game without a manual?!

metalshade said:
Just picked it up from HMV this morning for 99p with the trade in rage deal, I got the lenticular package, free t shirt, and catwoman DLC, however, I have NO instruction manual....is there a mistake, or did WB really publish a game without a manual?!

I can't speak for the European release, but my NA copy had a manual. Actually, I thought I received two manuals before I realized one was a catalog of AC merchandise. The manual is very minimal, though. Very similar to the one page EA manuals.

metalshade

RadioHeadAche said:
I can't speak for the European release, but my NA copy had a manual. Actually, I thought I received two manuals before I realized one was a catalog of AC merchandise. The manual is very minimal, though. Very similar to the one page EA manuals.
Yeah I think I got something like that too, but I didnt for one moment think that could be it.
I dont like this new trend of minimal manuals, some of us appreciate them!

SNIKT!

Alright, I need some help. I'm starting to yell profanities at the screen.
Third riddler hostage. When he hides the hostage and switches him around, the you have to pick where he's at. Every goddamn time I pick the wrong one.
Am I missing something?

hamchan

SNIKT! said:
Alright, I need some help. I'm starting to yell profanities at the screen.
Third riddler hostage. When he hides the hostage and switches him around, the you have to pick where he's at. Every goddamn time I pick the wrong one.
Am I missing something?

Use detective vision!

rhino4evr

nismogrendel said:
I had a hard time with the one where you fly into the mouth and down a little hallway for the last ring (same hallway has a little train in it - it's by the steel mill).

Hey what do ya know, postin in this thread made me a member :)
I'm currently stuck here too. I think I've tried it like 40 times. I suck at gliding I guess.

What do you actually get from these Advanced AR training. Is this even worth while?

I know for a fact that my copy will be popping through the letterbox at home any minute now, and I'm currently a one hour drive away bashing out three essays for next week.

It's going to be a difficult 7 days for me...

Vire

rhino4evr said:
I'm currently stuck here too. I think I've tried it like 40 times. I suck at gliding I guess.

What do you actually get from these Advanced AR training. Is this even worth while?
An achievement. :p

By the way, how do you do the u-turn while gliding on 360? I'm going for the Gotham Base Jumper achievement now.

Sn4ke_911 said:
thanks for the spoiler

Doesn't it go without saying that Batman will at some point come to blows with a shark?

sharkrepellent.jpg

rhino4evr

I'm sure this has been said, but this game reminds me of Zelda. The city is the overworld and the different areas are like dungeons in a sense. I'm currently overwhelmed with all the different gadgets and the shear amount of stuff to do.

george_us said:
So my game data has gotten corrupted for the second fucking time, right in the middle of a mission. This shit is getting traded.
You better chill out, man. If you trade it in, some developers family ends up on the street.

LosDaddie

Banned
LosDaddie said:
Changed my uncharted3 preorder to this game today. I have a Joker Carnival Challenge code for trade (X360). Make an offer. I'm looking for a 1970s blue batman skin, or something.

anybody?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yea, the shit is just a whole nother level of complicated that I can't even fuck with compared to everything else going on.
I'm with you. I did ALL the Riddler challenges in the previous game. THese are so fucking complicated I don't want to bother. It bugs me because I REALLY enjoyed the riddler challenges in the last game.

Eye Drop said:
Is there anything missable in this game that can't be accessed later? Any achievements one could miss out on in a single play through?
Yes if you complete
Azrael's challenges
you cannot get "Catch".

You'd have to wait until a 2nd play through.

leng jai said:
Wow I fucking suck at these remote batarang sections.
I found it helps if you pretend you're flying the red dot in the middle of the screen. Ignore the Batarang completely; it has this weird lopsided wobble that throws you off.

Top Bottom