• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
gdt5016 said:
How can I chose to play as Catwoman for a bit? Don't wanna do any story stuff, just hop around town. Can I solve riddles as her?
I think the only way is to take a time out of the main game and pick an episode from the main menu.

SpeedingUptoStop

cackhyena said:
I am like you. I do it far too often. This game is fucking amazing.
I spent a good 5-10 minutes on top
of Wonder Tower just looking over Gotham and Arkham City, just amazed as fuck.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished it. Holy fucking shit at the ending.
The fight with Clayface was incredible and really unexpected. I was not expecting Joker to die at all, I guess that's the only way that they could get him out since Hamill won't be coming back. His song during the credits is really creepy and sad. It really makes the ending hit home.
This is easily one of the best games ever made. It's the perfect melding of an open world setting with a strong focused linear story and the best use of a franchise and established characters ever. Simply amazing.

W Hudson

gdt5016 said:
How can I chose to play as Catwoman for a bit? Don't wanna do any story stuff, just hop around town. Can I solve riddles as her?

Yeah as the other poster said you can just select her missions from the start menu. Also after you beat the game you can flip back and forth between Batman and Catwoman. Last you can indeed pick up riddle trophies with her (don't think you can do the scanning ones though) and she has 40 individual riddle trophies of her own.

bitoriginal

Argh... Have I really gotta sit here downloading this Catwoman DLC before I boot up the game? Fuck this generation, and fuck my shitty 500kb ADSL connection.

suaveric said:
I accidentally took out one of Riddler's random baddies. Do they respawn or did I just screw myself? Thanks.
I'm reasonably sure there isn't one Riddler dude per area. I've interrogated all of them (I think) and by the end they were telling me about riddles in places they were nowhere near, so I think they'll just keep respawning around the city until you've got all the riddle locations marked. I definitely took out a few by accident and I'm sure I took a lot of them out in the same places.

suaveric said:
I accidentally took out one of Riddler's random baddies. Do they respawn or did I just screw myself? Thanks.
I believe they respawn and there are so many of them. I would hit Y and it would do a silent takedown. I forgot to look around for other baddies.

gdt5016 said:

There will be a certain part in the game, when you can go to certain points on the map (cat icon) and switch characters.

How many riddles do I have to solve to
unlock the location of the next hostage room? I saved the guy in the first room, and I've solved a bunch of riddles since then, but nothing has come up showing me where the next room is

deduce

McLovin said:
Dammit I was in the
freefall
section and thought the skip button was a qte. Anyone know if I can find a video of this sequence... It freaking saves right after.
I did the same exact thing. There's no way to go back and watch it. Hopefully someone uploads it to YouTube.
EDIT: And someone has uploaded it to YouTube. Thanks IGN. I finally get to see what happened. YouTube Spoiler

FStop7

Banned
I like that (so far) the boss fights have been fun and challenging, but not punishing. I think a brawl vs. 10 dudes on the street is actually tougher than the boss fights have been. But they are very cool. Also, it's nice that if you fail a boss fight you continue at the last stage of it that you completed, rather than having to start the whole thing over.

Is there any solution to the crash issues on the 360 if the game's installed beyond uninstalling it as my xbox is too damn noisy? It's pathetic that I can't play a game on launch due to an error on their behalf that's so huge I can't comprehend how they missed it.

cackhyena

If for some strange reason someone here has the desire to relieve themselves of the burden that is the Dark Knight Returns skin, my inbox is always open.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this before but if you tune your sequencer to 700,500 you can hear a voice reading off a bunch of numbers and if you take them and sequence them with the alphabet, you get
IWILLRETURNBATMAN

Unless there's some Riddler stuff I haven't done yet, this could be some interesting implications as far as the ending is concerned.

Mr. Paer said:
How many riddles do I have to solve to
unlock the location of the next hostage room? I saved the guy in the first room, and I've solved a bunch of riddles since then, but nothing has come up showing me where the next room is

I'm having the same problem. I solved the first one. The second one is marked on my map (South of the Church, near the wall), but when I get there, it's empty. No door, no nothing.

Help?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I can't believe I had to wait for Adam Malkovitch to unlock my Cryptoanalyzer before it can open locks. Why does Batman even have it in the beginning of the game? Kept wondering what upgrade I would need before it was useful, but no...I just didn't have proper authorization because I was too busy trying to enjoy the open-world secrets instead of progressing with the story.

Not having played Other M, I can now fully understand that bullshit argument.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
W Hudson said:
Any crazy person here gotten all 440 riddles completed? I'm on my second playthrough and making a concerted effort to get as many riddles done as possible, I think I'm up to 110 this go round (only picked up 80 in my first playthrough) after spending a solid 5 hours just flying around and looking for riddles to solve. I like how the challenge in getting a lot of them has been upped significantly.
Not yet, at about 330 or so. Taking forever!

GQman2121

Banned
FStop7 said:
I like that (so far) the boss fights have been fun and challenging, but not punishing. I think a brawl vs. 10 dudes on the street is actually tougher than the boss fights have been. But they are very cool. Also, it's nice that if you fail a boss fight you continue at the last stage of it that you completed, rather than having to start the whole thing over.
I've only really had one real boss fight thus far, and while it was good, I dont really like how they tell you what to do if you die one time. Give me a few goes at it and let me figure it out before you throw that info out there.

Do you have to complete a certain percentage of the story for The Watcher to appear at his designated positions?

I've seen him twice, and I have yet to rescue
Mr. Freeze from The Penguin
. I know where to go to see him, but he's not there...

W Hudson said:
Any crazy person here gotten all 440 riddles completed?

I hate the combat ones. The descriptions are not specific enough.

matrix-cat said:
That's kind of a disappointing one.
The tower is a closed off area, you can't fly all the way down to the city, so you have to cheese it by just flying out to the boundary so Batman turns around automatically over and over. I don't think you can glide and dive and glide for a whole minute without reaching the level where Batman grapples back of, so you just have to cheese the outer boundary.

You don't need to hit the boundary; diving and pulling up works just fine, I was up for over 2min before I got tired of it. The trick is to constantly pull back on the stick even when diving, and to not dive too much -- only about a second or two.

Can anyone explain to me how it will work if I rent this game? Since the majority of the content is locked through DLC codes would I be playing an incomplete game if I rented it?

Devin Olsen said:
Can anyone explain to me how it will work if I rent this game? Since the majority of the content is locked through DLC codes would I be playing an incomplete game if I rented it?

You'd lose out on Catwoman chapters in the campaign, and Catwoman challenge rooms. I think that's it.

Sullichin

Devin Olsen said:

lol "the majority of content" isn't locked out at all. you just can't play as Catwoman.

bitoriginal said:
Can anyone explain why when I launch the game it constantly crashes? Installed on Xbox btw.

I asked the same thing and I got told my 250GB slim is dying.
vOAzQ.gif

Has something to do with the game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Devin Olsen said:
You are grossly misinformed. You will just be missing out on the Catwoman sections (somewhere around 4 short story parts) and the Catwoman challenges.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I still can't beat the last catwoman mission... lol was so close!

I should have upgraded armor during the campaign. I just cannot take a hit at all... instant death.

Rocksteady... this game has been an absolute joy to play. But suddenly introducing respawning guards out of the blue like this is pretty retarded.

Square Triangle said:
I asked the same thing and I got told my 250GB slim is dying.
vOAzQ.gif

Has something to do with the game.
I installed the game, and had the same black screen issue. I then deleted the install, ran the game, reset my console and installed again. Haven't had any issue.

Sullichin

Evolved1 said:
I still can't beat the last catwomen mission... lol was so close!

I should have upgraded armor during the campaign. I just cannot take a hit at all... instant death.

I never want to waste my XP on catwoman stuff. She's fun to play as tho.

vixlar

The Antitype said:
Real talk.

The psychiatrist session recordings in Arkham Asylum were way cooler than ANY collectable in this game.

True Story

But...

But I got a little dissapointed that Victor Zass didn't kill that women from the conversations in AA. Somewhere in Arkham City, Batman says that he could save her

But I can tell you what's good in this game:

Vicky Vale, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Talia As Gul in the same game. And Oracle getting jealous. I couldn't be happier. Well, if somehow Lt. Montoya and the Huntress were in thid game, that should be fabulous

Evolved1

RoboPlato said:
That's what I thought too. Awesome and totally unexpected.

I thought it was pretty awesome... but one thing really bothered me.
He walks out with joker? I realize this imagery has more punch, but it doesn't suit the character... you think Batman would have treater her death with more dignity. He was willing to sacrifice the city to save her, and then suddenly doesn't give a shit anymore?

SpeedingUptoStop

Evolved1 said:
He walks out with joker? I realize this imagery has more punch, but it doesn't suit the character... you think Batman would have treater her death with more dignity. He was willing to sacrifice the city to save her, and then suddenly doesn't give a shit anymore?
I kinda figured her body was gone or buried pretty badly when Joker blew up the floor.

Massa

I'm thinking of starting a playthrough on normal without the Catwoman DLC and then playing on Hard/NG+ with it.

Story-wise, would I be missing anything by going at it this way?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Evolved1 said:
I think the assassins handle deaths by throwing people into the Lazarus Pit. I think Batman knew that she was going to be collected by the other assassins. It bothered me a bit too but no one would be there to remove the Joker and he had to get his body to the police. Despite everything, him and Joker were even closer than him and Talia in a twisted way.
Massa said:
I'm thinking of starting a playthrough on normal without the Catwoman DLC and then playing on Hard/NG+ with it.

There's one really awesome Easter Egg if you do something in one of the Catwoman sections. I found it by accident and it was one of the coolest things in the game if you discover it on your own. You wouldn't miss anything aside from that but the Catwoman sections are really short anyway and break up the flow of Batman's sections a bit. I liked them.

GeoramA said:
Seriously. The
Shark
and the
T-Rex
would have been fucking awesome for me if assholes didn't spoil it here.

So glad I didn't see those posts. Both of these things
startled the fuck out of me
, haha.

Evolved1

Massa said:

I liked the Catwoman sections, but they aren't critical to the story. Honestly they feel a little tacked on.

They add to the game, certainly, but it's not a huge deal. Second time though the game you might even appreciate them more because they'll add a little new car smell to the campaign..

Top Bottom