• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

LiK

Square Triangle said:
Did you beat AA? I don't get why people had so much trouble with the end boss. Rocksteady obviously keeps in mind that frustration is not part of gaming, every Dev. should take note.

indeed! 1000 and Platinum :D

LiK said:
indeed! 1000 and Platinum :D

I hope you picked up the GOTY edition, it's listed as a different game so you can collect another set of 1000 cheevos lol.

btw, delete one of your old useless souls on your xbl list. My heart was broken when you didn't have room =(

LiK

Square Triangle said:
I hope you picked up the GOTY edition, it's listed as a different game so you can collect another set of 1000 cheevos lol.

btw, delete one of your old useless souls on your xbl list. My heart was broken when you didn't have room =(
lol, I have the GOTY version on Steam as well. Got it on sale. No time for it tho.

NOS site is up again. Code finally worked! Anyone looking for a Batman Beyond skin? I'm looking for a Dark Knight Returns or Batman: Year one skin. Would also take Gears JitB code. PM me if interested.

xXJonoXx

I'm looking at the back of the CE box, and it says it plays in 1080p. However, every time I load the game, it only plays in 720p. How do I enable it to play in 1080p?

In the museum, I just turned the electrical fence that had originally blocked my progress BACK ON to pilot a remote batarang through the electricity (5-foot hole), UNDER a gate (a foot off the ground), down a hallway, around a corner, through a fence (2 foot hole) and broke a window before flying it into a fuse-box to open a gate for a Riddler trophy.

WHO THINKS THIS SHIT UP?!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The Antitype said:
In the museum, I just turned the electrical fence that had originally blocked my progress BACK ON to pilot a remote batarang through the electricity (5-foot hole), UNDER a gate (a foot off the ground), down a hallway, around a corner, through a fence (2 foot hole) and broke a window before flying it into a fuse-box to open a gate for a Riddler trophy.

WHO THINKS THIS SHIT UP?!
There definitely wasn't shit like this in AA. They upped Riddler's game to a whole nother level. Talking like, it feels like it could pass for an entirely separate game-level.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started playing yesterday, loving it. I'm constantly distracted by all the side missions and riddler trophies. There's so much to do... everywhere.

Question though : is there a trick/upgrade required to do the advanced AR glide stuff? Some of them require you to glide through a narrow alley and I can't see how you can do that without hitting the ground. Gotta say, I did not expect any ring flying challenges in this game :p

Luthos

Well I beat it earlier today, and have been doing side stuff. My total completion is roughly 50%, though I'm sure the challenge maps way that down a lot.

Awesome game. My GOTY by far. Though it might not even hold that title for long, considering Uncharted 3 and Skyrim are right on it's heels.

And the soundtrack is really good. The main menu theme sometimes stops me from continuing my game just to hear it. Also, there's this one which might be a little bit spoilery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZDGImabSq8

Creamium said:
Question though : is there a trick/upgrade required to do the advanced AR glide stuff? Some of them require you to glide through a narrow alley and I can't see how you can do that without hitting the ground. Gotta say, I did not expect any ring flying challenges in this game :p
Nope, it's all just gliding and dive bombing. You just have to get a feel for when to pull out of the dive bombs, pull up too hard and you regain your height, but just a little bit and you can fly horizontally for a crazy distance and you need that for flying through tunnels. It helps to practice it outside of the AR missions, like out over the water.

protonion

I finished the game and now I'm doing side stuff.
The riddler trophies are a bit too much. I finished the game with 100 and now I'm at 160. They are just too many.

Some side mission questions.
How do I reach the place with
Freezer's secret technology?
and where is the
third watchman spot? I've found hin on the wheel and on a building to the north.

6-7 hours in and this game is pretty great, but even better at making me feel stupid sometimes. There are a lot of situations where you will finish a boss encounter and it will dump you back into the bottom of the subway station, for example, and I cannot figure out an easy way to get out. Sometimes there are new bad guys on the way out, which leads me to believe I'm supposed to be backtracking, but others it seems like I just missed the exit and am wasting time taking the long route.

Also, any tips for combat against enemies wielding blades? The input for the blade counter seems so precise when all of the regular counter attacks give you all damn day to respond. It would've been nice if the game had made sure I'd grasped it before moving on from teaching me, but I had enough armor at that point to eat stabs every time and still KO the attacker.

Luthos

BlewHedgehog said:
Also, any tips for combat against enemies wielding blades? The input for the blade counter seems so precise when all of the regular counter attacks give you all damn day to respond. It would've been nice if the game had made sure I'd grasped it before moving on from teaching me, but I had enough armor at that point to eat stabs every time and still KO the attacker.
You can enable tutorials for certain moves in the Wayne Tech menu.

Also, it's basically holding counter button when he attacks, releasing after you dodge it, and then hold it again for the next slash. You have to hold and release.

I'm in love with this game. AC is one of those games that I lose track of time playing. There is so much to do and so far it's very cohesive. This something I worried coming into it with all the villains announced.
I've put 20 hours into it and I'm at 40% total completion (25% main story). I'm going to enjoy this one for awhile and try to get as many Riddler trophies as possible (139 so far, but I've tagged so many my map is a mess).

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Game and Riddler trophies are done, just have new game+ and riddlers revenge now.

Anyone get the jokers carnival gamestop map? crazy fun, probably where you should do the flawless freeflow achievement too.

Listened to 4 or 5 Zazs calls before I realized you were supposed to be following the tracer. Got to the end of the calls and the game just filled in the rest for me.

BlewHedgehog said:
I had some trouble with the way they phrased it. The tutorial says 'Hold the L stick away', but what they mean is hold the L stick back. The Blade Counter animation always moves the camera behind Batman, no matter where the knife attack comes from, so I'd be holding the stick to the right and then the camera would zip around and I'd miss the next attack.

So, as soon as you see a blade attack coming hold the left stick back and make sure you're holding the counter button and not just tapping it. The timing's a lot less precise than you'd think, you just have to make sure you're holding and letting go and holding again.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm progressing so slowly. 15% done after 2 nights of playing. I've been mostly exploring still, finding Riddler trophies (some I still haven't figured out yet) and hostages. I completed all the AR missions as well.

The Deadshot introduction was great. Finding his bullet in the crime scene.
I'm really enjoying the side-quests.
I'm about to head to the museum to rescue Mr. Freeze from Penguin.

Anybody else just like standing on a rooftop and using the Cryptograhic Sequencer to listen to Gotham FM? The music coupled with the blur effect makes it so atmospheric.

overcast

Finished it today. Game was brilliant, GOTY easily this far.

Positives:
-Combat/Stealth portions are always fun for me. So extremely satisfying.
-Story was surprisingly good. Dark too,
4 people died!!
-So much care put into this game. The attention to detail is astounding.
-Villains were well done, great voice acting.
-Graphics are fantastic. Atmosphere is pitch perfect.
-Boss fights were great! Not too challenging.
Ra's battle was visual greatness. I was in awe
-The ending!
The way Batman carried Joker out, dead. Was almost poetic.. So good. Joker singing during the credits gave me goosebumps
-Side Missions are FANTASTIC. Only done a few of them. The one that stands out is
The Mad Hatter. Scene blew me away, because it was so unexpected. Couldn't believe that was a side quest
-So much content.

Kind of negatives:
-
I expected a lot more two face
-Because I don't have live, I didn't play as Catwoman. Still can't..
-
I honestly wanted a few more boss battles. I know we had quite a few.

Can't wait to get through the side missions and Riddler challenges. Will also beat the new game+ in the coming week. There are also challenge maps! Only 50% done.

overcast said:
Kind of negatives:
-
I expected a lot more two face
-Because I don't have live, I didn't play as Catwoman. Still can't...
Those two things are linked,
you get a lot more Two Face in the Catwoman missions

It's a real shame that they decided to split up the content of the game this way. I got the game early because the street date was broken in Australia, and I'd finished the whole game before the servers were up for Catwoman so I didn't get to see any of that stuff my first time through. Now that I've downloaded it those levels really fill some of the major gaps in the story. It's so weird that they'd cut major parts of the story out for their anti-used sales thing instead of just challenges or something.

DrBo42

Just finished it. I haven't enjoyed a game this much since I was a kid playing Metal Gear Solid for the first time. Absolutely loved it, stellar ending.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This game isn't really working for me. It's more, sure. More everything. But it doesn't feel, at least initially, better. It just means everything is less distinct. Every riddler item means less because you hit one on every turn. Every extra gadget is less interesting because you already have a bunch. Every new character is less important because there's so many.

I don't know of the writing was this poor in Asylum, but a lot of it is passing over from charming to cheesy for me. Catwoman's voice actress does nothing for me.

The city itself is just so unappealing. The concept of a prison city is just so uninspired. I mean, Arkham City?! I've always hated the concept, now more than ever.

I'm still having fun, but, having just bet the Penguin's section, I'm a whole lot less enthusiastic about this game than I was Asylum. The smaller-scale worked wonders in AA. The large scale here just seems unmanageable to me, mentally. There has been no moment as 'charming' as the first walk into the Asylum. Nothing even comes close. Walking in on the 'end ' of a Batma story only to have it flipped was so much fun.

Oh, man, the story. It just seems so... boring.

I don't know. Bigger, better and more badass syndrome seems to be in full effect. Maybe it's still early days.

Rez said:
This game isn't really working for me. It's more, sure. More everything. But it doesn't feel, at least initially, better. It just means everything is less distinct. Every riddler item means less because you hit one on every turn. Every extra gadget is less interesting because you already have a bunch. Every new character is less important because there's so many.

I don't know of the writing was this poor in Asylum, but a lot of it is passing over from charming to cheesy for me. Catwoman's voice actress does nothing for me.

The city itself is just so unappealing. The concept of a prison city is just so uninspired. I mean, Arkham City?! I've always hated the concept, now more than ever.

I'm still having fun, but, having just bet the Penguin's section, I'm a whole lot less enthusiastic about this game than I was Asylum. The smaller-scale worked wonders in AA. The large scale here just seems unmanageable to me, mentally. There has been no moment as 'charming' as the first walk into the Asylum. Nothing even comes close. Walking in on the 'end ' of a Batma story only to have it flipped was so much fun.

Oh, man, the story. It just seems so... boring.

I don't know. Bigger, better and more badass syndrome seems to be in full effect. Maybe it's still early days.
I'm enjoying the game more now that I've finished the story. Unlike a lot of open world games, a lot of the side quest content is really worthwhile, and going back through environments and finding all the secrets in them is just as fun as it was in AA.

Melchiah

whalleywhat said:
I'm enjoying the game more now that I've finished the story. Unlike a lot of open world games, a lot of the side quest content is really worthwhile, and going back through environments and finding all the secrets in them is just as fun as it was in AA.

So you can search the Riddler trophies,
Zsasz
, etc. after finishing the story, like in the original?

BTW, is there similar riddles like in the first, where you had to scan the environment? I hope so, as I liked those far more than searching the question marks.

When it comes to the mysterious character, that lurks at certain points, can that quest also be done after the story is finished, or do the encounters have to happen at those exact moments, like just after the first encounter with Two-Face?

Melchiah said:
So you can search the Riddler trophies,
Zsasz
, etc. after finishing the story, like in the original?

BTW, is there similar Riddler trophies like in the first, where you had to scan the riddles? I hope so, as I liked those far more than searching the question marks.

When it comes to the mysterious character, that lurks at certain points, can that quest also be done after the story is finished, or do the encounters have to happen at those exact moments, like just after the first encounter with Two-Face
The game opens up completely after you finish the story. And, yes, there are scan riddles.
I haven't seen the lurker again (just twice), but I assume i haven't been to right places. Or maybe his appearances are timed.

Melchiah

whalleywhat said:
The game opens up completely after you finish the story. And, yes, there are scan riddles.
I haven't seen the lurker again (just twice), but I assume i haven't been to right places. Or maybe his appearances are timed.

Great!

Twice for me as well. The second time was on the top of the ferris wheel. It seems to me he comes up after encounters with the major villains. Too bad I haven't remembered to search the environment after every such encounter. =/

Lakitu

st5fu
So... I want to get the three Riddler trophies in that room in the Subway Station. I obviously hack the device but then the floor becomes electrified... and then I die. So am I missing a gadget to get me out of that situation or is there something else that I'm not doing?

spekkeh

Banned
Just started, so not going to read too much of this thread, but just wanted to say the beginning of the game is so glorious. Much better than the previous one already.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just did this to someone.

jD6Lj.png

Damn this game is so fucking awesome.

Clegg

Can anyone help me with the 'Shot in the Dark'side mission.

I started the mission and followed the bullet to the sniper position. Batman then said he should look out for more clues.

That was hours ago now. Am I doing something wrong and should I be looking for something?

abundant

Clegg said:

I started the mission and followed the bullet to the sniper position. Batman then said he should look out for more clues.

That was hours ago now. Am I doing something wrong and should I be looking for something?
It's random. Just continue playing until you hear a loud gun shot, then you will get a message telling you that there's a new victim.

Clegg said:

Look for a shell at the sniper position. It's there.

Grisby

Clegg said:

Just keep doing main missons and going around town. You'll
hear a loud gunshot go off and that will be the start of the next part.

Korosenai

Clegg said:

Just keep playing and going around the city and it will pop up.

BeeDog

Started the game earlier today and managed to get to the Steel Mill. So far so good, but I still feel completely overwhelmed with stuff to explore, or figuring out what to do at all. It doesn't help that the game's so busy; the HUD/detective mode throws stuff at you all the time, and the game world is full of details which makes it hard to fine-comb anything.

The only thing I don't really dig too much at the moment is the movement of Batman. He's still a bit too tankish, which makes the exploration a bit of a hassle. Thank god for the grappling hook though, I love how easy it hooks where you want it.

Top Bottom