• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

789shadow said:
I only complain about stupid ones. Like this other one that is literally just "wait 20 minutes for your disruptor to recharge enough times to deactivate all these mines." Stupid.
Theres two of those, and at the most you have to wait for two recharges. Disarm the right ones for the quickest path and you don't have to wait "20 minutes".

I agree with dude, they're really not that difficult at all. God forbid you have to actually use your head this time for the Riddler trophies.

How did you get that Torture Room one, by the way? The one where my suggestion apparently didn't work (even though it's the way I got it)?

spidye said:
augmented reality activated....augmented reality failed....augmented reality activated....augmented reality failed...augmented reality activated....augmented reality failed...

oh god, fuck you stupid computer

lolol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man the side missions are so great. They're all original! I never feel like I'm doing the same boss battle twice. I just went through and got done with
Bane, lol @ the switch where you THINK he's good because he teamed up with you, then he tries to betray you, and you don't even fig
ht, you just lock him up and blow his shit while he wines like a bitch. Friggin LOL.
, the phone missions with zsaz - I make things like this harder on myself because I constantly forget to slide under shit. Straight grab this sucka through the wall and knock his ass out like a bawss
the deadshot one - the lead in to the boss battle of this was the glitchiest part of the game I've played -> I did a mad dive bomb at Ryder, now all of sudden I'm in a cutscene, now all of a sudden I'm on the roof with deadshot, shit was weird. Also, this was annoying because I was being dumb again and thought atleast one of my gadgets was supposed to distract him. died like 10 times before I figured you could just run while he was turned, and then a couple more tries once the game actually stuck me to a corner cover instead of making me dive into the open
and
I did the Riddler mission where Riddler cheats and you have to use thermal to watch him cheat. I stupidly tried to play that fair the first time -> that guy getting roasted alive was fucking insane! This is a Teen rated game!
It's a real pain you have to unlock Riddler stuff only by getting trophies, but oh well. interrogate enough people and just do the Riddles is simple enough. Oh yeah, also
found Nora, that was a cool little challenge room and a funny rock paper scissors convo. It was a pain figuring out how to get back into the GCPD after that. Also, I didn't see this supposed trail Freeze leaves behind him to look for Norah? Where's that at? Is there any special reason I should seek it out or is it just there?

So yeah got a lot of side mission stuff out of the way today. 64% done with those, 53% or so done with the game. I don't think I'l lbe able to crack those AR missions, and everything else
The Weird Anonymous Watcher, the Face Removing Killer, More Riddler stuff
all seemed to have stalled so far on my map with no more info as to what to do next, so I decided to break there for the day. I love this game, but now that I'm this far, the city is feeling a little more lonely. :(

789shadow

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Theres two of those, and at the most you have to wait for two recharges. Disarm the right ones for the quickest path and you don't have to wait "20 minutes".

I agree with dude, they're really not that difficult at all. God forbid you have to actually use your head this time for the Riddler trophies.

How did you get that Torture Room one, by the way? The one where my suggestion apparently didn't work (even though it's the way I got it)?
Realized I had to use the Line Launcher in midair.

789shadow said:
Realized I had to use the Line Launcher in midair.
My point, exactly. Youre too quick to give up and complain / ask for a solution! When you thought my suggestion was wrong you came back with "ummm that didn't work" before before trying to figure it out.

The Riddler stuff was great in this game. I hope they're even more challenging next go, with good word puzzles this time cuz the word puzzles were elementary school level stuff.

protonion said:
Has anyone found how to deactivate the turret cameras that guard several trophies?

280 so far... They are too many!
It's an upgrade you get during the game.
The disruptor. You can use it to disable thugs' guns, turn off mines and disable those turrets

So I finally found every single goddam one of the Riddler's things, Trophies, riddles and all. I'm tempted to say there are way too many of them but they offer so much variety that I never got bored while doing it. I like the two-stage ones where you see the Trophy and then have to work out how to get over to it, and I really like the elaborate puzzles you find out in the City. Some of them stumped me for a long while.

By the way, you don't need to have done every single one to take out The Riddler for good; I got the call from Oracle to go take him down when I had about 90% of them. I went and found the rest anyway to unlock the character tapes you get for completing whole rows of challenges in the menu, there's tons of stuff to read through and listen to in there.

And I've been running through the Riddler's Revenge Challenges, too. They were by far the hardest part of Arkham Asylum and they're no slouch here either. My old reflexes have held up well these past few years and I managed to 3-star most of them, but some of the Extreme ones are brutal. We're talking
thirty guys, an Abramovici and two Titans
brutal. Strangely enough Catwoman proves to be an absolute beast at that stuff because of her amazing crowd-control abilities. She can't do Batman's instant takedowns, but that just leads to longer combos.

By the way, has anyone worked out how to get the achievement for using all of Batman's moves in one combo? If I'm counting right I think it's fourteen:
- The five gadgets: Batarang, Freeze Blast, REC, Explosive and Batclaw
- The four special moves: Instant takedown, Bat summon, Weapon break and the Batarang takedown thing
- Basic attack
- Counter
- Cape stun
- Reversal (dodge over a dude's head)
- Ground takedown

But then I don't know if the aerial attack counts (dodge over a stunned dude), or the Blade dodge takedown, or the beatdown, so my count could be a few short.

Zeth

Can someone give me an idea of how far along I am or about how much i have left? Can't seem to find a main story percentage, though I swear I saw it at some point.

ras al ghul just died after stabbing strange

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
How comes none of the arkham city trailers are on psn but on xbox live? is there some sort of exclusive thing?

gdt

Zeth said:
Can someone give me an idea of how far along I am or about how much i have left? Can't seem to find a main story percentage, though I swear I saw it at some point.

Very little left.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Zeth said:

You have about a half hour left. Also, the percentage can be found in the main menu.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Oh God, 90% of the Riddler trophies = Finally the Riddler mission? Kill me now
I think they did it that way so you can skip some of the hardest puzzles if you can't work them out. Once you've done the final Riddler hostage mission the only reason to get the remaining riddles is to unlock that extra stuff, and I think you'll probably need 100% to unlock the Perfect Knight 2.0 achievement.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Completed it today. The story was a bit all over the place, but the ending was perfect.

I didn't like the
League of Assassin's
stuff in the middle of the game, but
Talia was hot
. Catwoman sections seemed a bit throwaway too, and I didn't really enjoy them much.

Combat was awesome as expected- now to get onto the best bit of the game, those challenge maps.

Vire

For Catwomans physical challenge it says to perform a Special Combo Whiplash and Special Combo Whip Trip and in one combo and I keep doing it but it doesn't unlock. Any tips or am I doing something wrong here?

Vire said:
For Catwomans physical challenge it says to perform a Special Combo Whiplash and Special Combo Whip Trip and in one combo and I keep doing it but it doesn't unlock. Any tips or am I doing something wrong here?
Are you sure you're hitting dudes with the Whiplash? I found that sometimes she completely misses everyone with that one, and it doesn't break the combo but maybe it affects the physical challenge? Other than that, I guess just make doubly sure you're doing them in the same combo, obviously. I don't know why it wouldn't be unlocking.

Vire

matrix-cat said:
Are you sure you're hitting dudes with the Whiplash? I found that sometimes she completely misses everyone with that one, and it doesn't break the combo but maybe it affects the physical challenge? Other than that, I guess just make doubly sure you're doing them in the same combo, obviously. I don't know why it wouldn't be unlocking.
Hmm thanks, I dunno it still isn't working. Hope it didn't glitch out.

JohngPR

Anyone else like to coordinate when they attack thugs with what they are saying?

"You scared of the big Bad Bat? When I see him, I'll teach him a less....*gets dived bombed from above"

:p

lucius

I am at 45% doing a lot of side stuff, I like the game just the boss fights seem easier than Batman AA, I think I should have started on hard.

An annoying thing about some of the boss fights is that they're unintuitive. I had hints turned off before I fought Ras Al Gul
and had no idea I needed to shoot him with an electrical charge in one of his forms.
There's no way I'd know that without hints.

Just finished the main game, great all around if perhaps a little too familiar, I might just prefer AA slightly more but I can say that they improved on the bosses this time
Well except for the whole "do it twice!" thing that happens a few times, but Mr Freeze makes up for it

Fuck some of these Riddler's trophies.

In the building where you take care of Zsasz, you have to weave a batarang into some electricity and maneuver it around a light and into a vent to short out a fuse box.

whalleywhat said:
An annoying thing about some of the boss fights is that they're unintuitive. I had hints turned off before I fought Ras Al Gul
and had no idea I needed to shoot him with an electrical charge in one of his forms.

The game gives you enough hints.

Square Triangle said:
Fuck some of these Riddler's trophies.

In the building where you take care of Zsasz, you have to weave a batarang into some electricity and maneuver it around a light and into a vent to short out a fuse box.

You can slow the remote batarang down with holding one of the shoulder buttons (forgot which one it was). This gives you enough time to react.

whalleywhat said:
An annoying thing about some of the boss fights is that they're unintuitive. I had hints turned off before I fought
Ras Al Gul and had no idea I needed to shoot him with an electrical charge in one of his forms.

Wait. Why would you spoiler the attack and not the actual character's name?

matrix-cat said:
And I've been running through the Riddler's Revenge Challenges, too. They were by far the hardest part of Arkham Asylum and they're no slouch here either. My old reflexes have held up well these past few years and I managed to 3-star most of them, but some of the Extreme ones are brutal. We're talking
thirty guys, an Abramovici and two Titans
brutal. Strangely enough Catwoman proves to be an absolute beast at that stuff because of her amazing crowd-control abilities. She can't do Batman's instant takedowns, but that just leads to longer combos.
I find the dodge roll to be my best friend in those kinds of fights. It's a good way to stall while you figure out what to do next without dumping your combo or taking any damage.

Penguin

So I keep hearing about these AR missions, and they never showed up during the entire game.

Checked an IGN guide, and went to the exact spot and nothing.

Has anyone had any experience with this sidequest glitching/never showing up?

So I think my Shot in the Dark side mission is bugged. Second shot went off at somepoint, but body isn't where it's supposed to be, vicinity isn't listed on map, and Deadshot never fires again. I've checked video walkthroughs as well. I've finished the game and have all other side stuff done except for Riddler pretty much, so kind of annoyed.

Amir0x

Banned
i feel like the game is set up like one of them grade school field days. There's a "station" set up on every roof with a new riddler activity to tackle. It's only missing my teacher saying "ok now ladies and gentlemen, move on to station 2!"

LordAlu

forgeforsaken said:
So I think my Shot in the Dark side mission is bugged. Second shot went off at somepoint, but body isn't where it's supposed to be, vicinity isn't listed on map, and Deadshot never fires again. I've checked video walkthroughs as well. I've finished the game and have all other side stuff done except for Riddler pretty much, so kind of annoyed.
I found the body pretty quickly
on the destroyed highway to the north nearby, you can see the body in detective mode coloured in blue lying on it
. Definitely not there?

LordAlu said:
I found the body pretty quickly
on the destroyed highway to the north nearby, you can see the body in detective mode coloured in blue lying on it
. Definitely not there?

Yeah I've watched the IGN walkthrough for the quest and gone there, nothing.

Vire

God damnit I'm doing the Special Combos for Cat Woman (AX and BY) and it refuses to unlock. I don't know what to do...

I've been trying for the past hour now.

Vire said:
God damnit I'm doing the Special Combos for Cat Woman (AX and BY) and it refuses to unlock. I don't know what to do...

Are you talking about the Riddler challenge to use both of them in one fight?

It took me a few tries to unlock that. Just made sure I was in the middle of a big group when I used the first one, then let them gather up and used the second one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
forgeforsaken said:
Yeah I've watched the IGN walkthrough for the quest and gone there, nothing.
It's definitely bugged, then. The locations, afaik, are not randomized.

Vire said:

If it helps, it's supposed to be the AX and AB attacks?

Sean

Banned
krameriffic said:
God forbid they add challenging puzzles with interesting mechanics that require you to think about how to solve them, amirite?

They're optional. Don't like them? Can't figure them out? Simple, don't do them.

It may be optional, but Rocksteady put development resources into creating all those riddler puzzles - time that would've been better spent elsewhere IMO.

It's just overkill - every ten feet you're running into some riddler stuff. Aside from the massive amount of riddler trophies to collect (both batman and catwoman variants), you've got tyger cameras to break, balloons to pop, harley statues, chomping joker teeth, penguins, demon heads, etc. The poster who compared it to DK64 is not that far off.

Some of them are fun to solve, but a bunch are tedious or just plain ridiculous. They should've dialed back on the riddler stuff and focused on making them all fun rather than just having a huge quantity of them.

Lakitu

st5fu
Damn turret will not go away. I want to get to a Riddler trophy. Again, I assume I don't have the correct gadget yet to deal with it?

The contextual animations in this game are fucking amazing. Every time I hit the Y button for interrogation mid-combo, I get a knew intimidation position. Just saw him stand on somebody's face for the first time.

*claps*

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Wait, what? those are things?

They're all listed under the Riddles section of the pause menu.

Furret

Banned
Lakitu said:
Damn turret will not go away. I want to get to a Riddler trophy. Again, I assume I don't have the correct gadget yet to deal with it?

You need the Mr Freeze/mine disarmer gadget.

Can anyone help with my character bio question?

Zeliard

The Antitype said:
The contextual animations in this game are fucking amazing. Every time I hit the Y button for interrogation mid-combo, I get a knew intimidation position. Just saw him stand on somebody's face for the first time.

*claps*

Yeah I was doing a Catwoman challenge room on some rooftop and at one point I was near the edge and she used the short barrier wall as leverage to flip around and kick someone mid-combo. Looked really great - spontaneous and just plain stylish.

Also love some of those animation blends during counters and such, like when you start off countering one person then another one or two join in a split-second, and the counter animation modifies itself to accommodate the others in a fashion that looks natural and awesome. It's really impressive stuff.

Top Bottom