• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Montresor said:
If someone answered my previous question, I apologize if it seems that I've ignored it. I want to be careful skimming the thread in case of spoilers. =p

What I really want to know is: how hard is the hard difficulty? Is it totally doable just like the Asylum game or have the upped the difficulty big time?
It's doable but it's definitely more varied and forced you to think this time around.

the chris

Just had a moment when I needed to stop playing due to the tension, museum/area a little after spoiler:
Crossing the thin ice on the way to the Iceberg Lounge, then when I get halfway there a frikkin' shark jumps out of the water. Way too intense to continue tonight.

Montresor

Thanks gdt and BeautyMemory.

To be honest, the decision would be way way easier if there was an achievement for beating the game on hard. There would be no question - I'd pick hard. Hah, =p. Well I'm picking hard anyway, after seeing both of your posts.

789shadow

Banned
Goody, another seemingly impossible trophy. Now I have to fucking hit 3 triggers, then turn 180 degrees and hit 3 more triggers, all within 2 seconds. How about no?

LiK

The Antitype said:
Just had a message pop up, 'New voicemail from the Joker'. It said hit the back button to listen, but I can't find it... ?

in his character bio page. scroll right of the initial character info stuff. SO GOOD.

789shadow said:
Goody, another seemingly impossible trophy. Now I have to fucking hit 3 triggers, then turn 180 degrees and hit 3 more triggers, all within 2 seconds. How about no?

Just did this one myself. Quick batarang throw ftw.

Sean

Banned
789shadow said:

This is my one big complaint, Rocksteady went overboard on the Riddler stuff in this game imo. I much prefer the way it was handled in Arkham Asylum.

zlatko

Banned
How do I know the game has saved? I want to wrap up my first play session, but I'm not sure if it has it saved or if there is a manual way to save or what?

LiK

Sean said:
This is my one big complaint, Rocksteady went overboard on the Riddler stuff in this game imo. I much prefer the way it was handled in Arkham Asylum.

it's way too overwhelming. i know Riddler was pissed i got him arrested but damn, this is just brutal.

zlatko said:
How do I know the game has saved? I want to wrap up my first play session, but I'm not sure if it has it saved or if there is a manual way to save or what?

you'll see saving icon in a corner. if you're not sure, just enter and exit a building. it autosaves there all the time.

789shadow

Banned
Um, anyone get the solution to the riddle right outside the GCPD building? The one that is apparently right in the smack dab in the middle of a big open area?

LiK

789shadow said:
Um, anyone get the solution to the riddle right outside the GCPD building? The one that is apparently right in the smack dab in the middle of a big open area?

the giant question mark or something else?

zlatko

Banned
Okay cool. I always get confused when games have only an auto save feature built in and don't let me do a manual file as well. :p

Played for about 3 hours. I'm about to go hit up Mr. Freeze. Fun so far, but as someone who only played AA for like 2 hours and then setting the game on hard here I find combat to be a bit of learning challenge for me. I looked in the manual and then was greeted with this 2 pages of nothing. I checked the controls and saw nothing that was saying, "do this once you beat someone up a lot so they stay down."

I've found early on I'm just doing a lot of mashing between X and Y, and if I can get one enemy away from the rest then when I get him on the ground I can Left trigger + Y to punch him in the head.

Am I doing it right? Separate and conquer ?

Are there infinite goons in the very last Catwoman encounter? Because I've knocked out 8 dudes already and there are *always* 6 guys in my "cat" vision.

Ulgh. This is taking forever.

789shadow

Banned
Epyon MX said:
Are there infinite goons in the very last Catwoman encounter? Because I've knocked out 8 dudes already and there are *always* 6 guys in my "cat" vision.

Two-Face will constantly call in reinforcements. Once you take out Two-Face, the whole thing is over.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Epyon MX said:

Yea, they respawn. I beat it by only taking out like, 3-4 of them, then going in on the main guy for the pounce. Takes some patience, but it's a great level.

Nori Chan

Lol I remember the last catwoman Mission.

I had like one bar of health after taking 6 guys down and I was like fuck it, I'm just going to beat him up and it worked lol

equap said:
i don't liek that Batman isn't in the middle of the screen but to the left. Only when running is when the camera zoom out to him being in the middle.

:\

Totally agree. It's rather annoying but ever since RE4 more and more games have gone with the over the shoulder view of the off centered shoulder view

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
Okay cool. I always get confused when games have only an auto save feature built in and don't let me do a manual file as well. :p

Played for about 3 hours. I'm about to go hit up Mr. Freeze. Fun so far, but as someone who only played AA for like 2 hours and then setting the game on hard here I find combat to be a bit of learning challenge for me. I looked in the manual and then was greeted with this 2 pages of nothing. I checked the controls and saw nothing that was saying, "do this once you beat someone up a lot so they stay down."

I've found early on I'm just doing a lot of mashing between X and Y, and if I can get one enemy away from the rest then when I get him on the ground I can Left trigger + Y to punch him in the head.

Am I doing it right? Separate and conquer ?
For combat you really want continuous free flowing combos. That's how Batman is most effective and how the game expects you to tackle massive numbers. You want to be jumping from one guy to another, constantly hitting with critical strikes and countering or dodging when necessary to keep the chain going.

Then you have other more specific tactics for particular types of enemies and situations. And then bosses are usually a completely different dynamic altogether.

I realize this shit is totally free on sites like Gamespot and GameFaqs but that $2.99 app I bought off the Appstore is so freaking helpful. As you do each Riddler trophy or secret you can check it off your list. God I wish they had one like this for Infamous.

zlatko

Banned
Noriega said:
LT+Y

wat lol

Well yeah, you hardly have any gadgets either. Plus all the fancy pancy combos are for the challenge maps anyways. :p

Was that at me? Yeah sorry I was SMH at what I was supposed to do to keep enemies down for the first few encounters. I don't think the LT + Y to punch people on the ground tool tip came up for me until like I reached Joker's place. Up until then I was just mashing X and Y.

My one battle gadget I've been using right now is the electric gun thingy. Not having AA experience under my belt definitely made the first few hours hard, but not frustrating, which is great. I like a good challenge, but I'm hoping the combat is less mashy going forward. ;)

Vire

zlatko said:
Was that at me? Yeah sorry I was SMH at what I was supposed to do to keep enemies down for the first few encounters. I don't think the LT + Y to punch people on the ground tool tip came up for me until like I reached Joker's place. Up until then I was just mashing X and Y.

My one battle gadget I've been using right now is the electric gun thingy. Not having AA experience under my belt definitely made the first few hours hard, but not frustrating, which is great. I like a good challenge, but I'm hoping the combat is less mashy going forward. ;)
The combat is however mashy you want it to be. However, button mashing in challenge rooms won't even net you one medal. You have to be precise in your movements.

hamchan

zlatko said:

LT + Y is kinda bad since it often amounts to Batman getting hit from behind. The only thing it's good for imo is during predator sections or finishing off a round in the combat challenges since it's worth 75 points. Much safer to just build up a 5x multiplier and then use Y+B to instantly take down an enemy if you want to clear a room quickly. Also yeah, button mashing can carry you through the game but you'll probably get hit a lot too. You have to be Batman, don't get hit the whole game!

Sean said:
Like hell they did. I thought they were pretty good and challenging in most cases. If there's one that seems impossible, come back later when you have everything and you'll probably figure it out... or think of a different solution. I was stumped on one for the entirety of the game when it just clicked and I realized I could've done it from the beginning.

For the one he's having trouble with, I might be mistaken, but you can place gel on three of them, no? Detonate and then quick toss at the other three.

The word/Enigma riddles, on the other hand... pathetically easy.
I literally facepalmed at the shadow one... and then his reaction. "WHAT? How did you figure it out?! You cheated, didn't you?" No, I just attended grade school. -_-

Korosenai

ahhh this is going to bug the crap out me (concerning a side mission)

So I beat Zsasz's Hideout last night, and I just noticed that it is still on my screen as if I haven't beat it yet. I got the achievement and it says the case is closed in the side mission screen, but I hate it when something like this happens, and it's not even that big of a deal. oh well.

zlatko

Banned
hamchan said:
LT + Y is kinda bad since it often amounts to Batman getting hit from behind. The only thing it's good for imo is during predator sections or finishing off a round in the combat challenges since it's worth 75 points. Much safer to just build up a 5x multiplier and then use Y+B to instantly take down an enemy if you want to clear a room quickly. Also yeah, button mashing can carry you through the game but you'll probably get hit a lot too. You have to be Batman, don't get hit the whole game!

Maybe I'm confusing LT + Y with something else? Is LT+ Y the input for Batman getting on top of a bad guy and quick punching him in the head for him to be KOed? Or is it RT + Y?

Early on with bad guys without guns I found it a great way to take out enemies. I would fight a big group and knock them on their ass, then quickly leap across the room to a guy by himself to beat him to the ground, then do the head punch to finish him before the others would show up.

Sean said:
God forbid they add challenging puzzles with interesting mechanics that require you to think about how to solve them, amirite?

They're optional. Don't like them? Can't figure them out? Simple, don't do them.

FStop7

Banned
Boss fight after the one in the museum.

The Ra's al Ghul one. That was so awesome! It wasn't that difficult, it was just really well done - trippy and surreal. It kind of reminded me of the test that R'as put Bruce through in Batman Begins, but amped up to an extreme more appropriate for comics or video games.

I thought many of the Riddler trophies were impossible to get, but then it hit me:

"I'm the goddam Batman. I've got a shitload of gadgets in my utility belt, not just a batarang!"

After that, the hardest ones were when you had to use the remote-batarang.

---------

Also: ??? for every Batman and Catwoman combat challenge.

They're so easy with Catwoman; my highest score is nearly 100k and my highest combo was over 100 hits I think.

krameriffic said:
God forbid they add challenging puzzles with interesting mechanics that require you to think about how to solve them, amirite?

They're optional. Don't like them? Can't figure them out? Simple, don't do them.

I don't know, part of me agrees. It's like every other corner I turn I see a new Riddler's Trophy. It's like Donkey Kong 64 all over again ;)

FStop7 said:
Boss fight after the one in the museum.

The Ra's al Ghul one. That was so awesome! It wasn't that difficult, it was just really well done - trippy and surreal. It kind of reminded me of the test that R'as put Bruce through in Batman Begins, but amped up to an extreme more appropriate for comics or video games.

Yep,
it wasn't difficult at all but it was such an awesome fight. Especially as a fan of Ra's al Ghul. I hope I wasn't the only one that got chills when he emerged from the pit and that epic music kicked in

JEKKI

man, so do Riddler and Zasz challenges ever expire?? Can you just ignore them when u see it on your map or u hear the phone ring??

like, Im supposed to be saving hostages but I also wanna do story missions.

I dont want the hostages to die if I dont actively pursue these missions...

KingK

Oh my god I just played for 8 hours straight. I played about 6 hours Tuesday and didn't have a chance to play again til tonight. I just got to the part where BIG SPOILER
Ras kills Strange and you figure out Ras is behind everything. On my way to save Talia from the Joker.
My eyes are burning from the awesomeness (and from staring at the TV for too long), so I had to stop for the night.

KingK

JEKKI said:
man, so do Riddler and Zasz challenges ever expire?? Can you just ignore them when u see it on your map or u hear the phone ring??

like, Im supposed to be saving hostages but I also wanna do story missions.

I dont want the hostages to die if I dont actively pursue these missions...

You can just do them whenever you want. It won't expire.

--------

Also, yeah. The boss fights are so much better here than in Arkham Asylum

LiK said:
yea, none of the boss fights were hard but so epic and fun.

Did you beat AA? I don't get why people had so much trouble with the end boss. Rocksteady obviously keeps in mind that frustration is not part of gaming, every Dev. should take note.

Top Bottom