• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Sean

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Wait, what? those are things?

Each area has their own set of collectibles/riddler secrets. I wasn't aware of all of them either until looking through the riddler menu thing after i beat the game. Not really a spoiler since it's listed in the menu, but I'll tag it anyway:
the talking life-size statues of harley are in the steel mill, penguin statues are inside the museum, demon heads are in wonder city.

Luthos

Zeliard said:
Yeah I was doing a Catwoman challenge room on some rooftop and at one point I was near the edge and she used the short barrier wall as leverage to flip around and kick someone mid-combo. Looked really great - spontaneous and just plain stylish.

Also love some of those animation blends during counters and such, like when you start off countering one person then another one or two join in a split-second, and the counter animation modifies itself to accommodate the others in a fashion that looks natural and awesome. It's really impressive stuff.
Agreed. The contextual animation in this game is perhaps rivaled only by Uncharted.

Weenerz

Banned
Joker fight where you fight some armless guy, 20 guys, the joker and a titan monster is fucking frustrating as hell. Batman just loves to roll into the guy charging at me, not once BUT EVERY FUCKING TIME!

Enjoying the game, but sometimes fuck this game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Weenerz said:
Joker fight where you fight some armless guy, 20 guys, the joker and a titan monster is fucking frustrating as hell. Batman just loves to roll into the guy charging at me, not once BUT EVERY FUCKING TIME!

An easy way to get through this fight is to
chuck a freeze grenade at one-armed guy every now and then (as needed -- he stays frozen for a while) until you whittle down the pack. Then use the titan to take out one-armed guy. Then kill the titan. Then beat Joker's ass.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Solved all the Catwoman stuff, now at 374/400 for Batman, with 3/4ths of the remaining ones being physical challenges. Still gotta do some AR tests too.

Weenerz

Banned
I try to do that, but Batman still loves to roll in the way of him over and over and over and over.

I guess dying a few times wouldn't be so bad if the load times weren't so horrible, is that happening on the 360 as well or is this just on PS3?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Weenerz said:
I try to do that, but Batman still loves to roll in the way of him over and over and over and over.

I guess dying a few times wouldn't be so bad if the load times weren't so horrible, is that happening on the 360 as well or is this just on PS3?

I didn't find the load times too obnoxious. They seem pretty standard for a current-gen game.

For instance, something like Fallout was waaaaay worse. And far more frequent.

whalleywhat said:
Yes? How would I know this?

Seriously?

I need to explain how a spoiler works? I'm beyond that part but it's for the sake of those who aren't aware of the entire cast of the game.

Weenerz said:

I'm playing on the 360 and not having a single issue. Maybe it's a tad longer on the PS3 since it's the UE3? Those two are like water and oil in some games.

zlatko

Banned
Did anyone solve the riddler puzzle when you go after
the assassin for Ras into the subway access area? It's sort of near the start. You crawl into a room with 3 riddler trophies for you to grab, but the second you do hot steam comes at you and the room is locked up.

Anyone? :eek:

So the blade-swipe knock-down ability is a hoax right? Cause I'm holding Y, releasing between each slash, and it's just causing me to get my face cut off. Easier to just stun them with B than it is to try and counter.

zlatko said:
Did anyone solve the riddler puzzle when you go after
the assassin for Ras into the subway access area? It's sort of near the start. You crawl into a room with 3 riddler trophies for you to grab, but the second you do hot steam comes at you and the room is locked up.

Anyone? :eek:

You need a gadget you probably don't have yet.

Furret

Banned
BackwardsSuggestions said:
Really not feeling it this time around. Thought AA was amazing but I don't know. Something feels off.

You're really nitpicking with those ultra specific complaints.

Anyone else a little peeved that they changed the level up icon to a massive flashing logo at the top of screen?

I liked the minimalist look from AA, why'd they change it to this abomination that hides the compass until you've levelled up or at least looked the level up screen.

:/

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Speedymanic said:
Anyone else a little peeved that they changed the level up icon to a massive flashing logo at the top of screen?

I liked the minimalist look from AA, why'd they change it to this abomination that hides the compass until you've levelled up or at least looked the level up screen.

:/

Probably for that reason, people probably didn't know they could level up.

Weenerz said:

That was probably my favorite fight in the game. Got a x100 combo.

Thank god I'm not a completionist, because the collectathons and optional miscellanea in this game are ridiculous. Some of it is clever, but most are just time-sucking filler.

AEREC

Kinda annoyed that you cant jump off of
Wonder Tower and glide all the way to the ground
. Ive been looking forward to that the whole game.

Need some help.

I'm went into the Steel Mill to get the stolen equipment after beating the story, and I have no idea how to get out of the place. The front door seems to be unreachable, and I don't see another exit on my map.

AEREC

Montresor said:
What does it mean when the game controls say:

B->AA

Does that mean push B, pause for a second, then double tap A quickly?

do a cape swipe on a guy with a sheild and then double tap A to jump on top of them to taek them down.

Lionel Mandrake said:
Need some help.

I'm went into the Steel Mill to get the stolen equipment after beating the story, and I have no idea how to get out of the place. The front door seems to be unreachable, and I don't see another exit on my map.

Go to the area where you had the boss fight with the Joker and Titan and that should still be exposed to the outside.

benzy

Stuck on Catwoman mission 4. I just beat a shit ton of thugs in the museum, but then there's no where else to go. There are doors on each side of the room but there's an electrical barrier preventing me from moving on. How do you turn that off?

Plissken

Just completed the Museum (the first time anyway, not sure if you go back).

Villian spoiler:
"Ray-sh" al ghul? I always pronounced it "Rah-sh".

General Museum area spoiler:
Did I just beat up a friggin SHARK?! Yes I did. Why? because I'm the GODDAMN BATMAN! :D

Really loving the game so far.

Plissken said:
Just completed the Museum (the first time anyway, not sure if you go back).

Villian spoiler:
"Ray-sh" al ghul? I always pronounced it "Rah-sh".

General Museum area spoiler:
Did I just beat up a friggin SHARK?! Yes I did. Why? because I'm the GODDAMN BATMAN! :D

Really loving the game so far.

I thought the
shark
was kind of lame. Totally broke the otherwise pretty serious take on Batman.

benzy said:
Stuck on Catwoman mission 4. I just beat a shit ton of thugs in the museum, but then there's no where else to go. There are doors on each side of the room but there's an electrical barrier preventing me from moving on. How do you turn that off?

Slide under one of the gates in the middle

Vire

The Antitype said:
I thought the
shark
was kind of lame. Totally broke the otherwise pretty serious take on Batman.
Nah, it totally fit Penguins outlandish character.

Also, finally got every damn Riddler secret. 440...

Man that was a lot. Some of those were really clever though.

Solo

Punching sharks in the face. FUCK YEAH.

Goddamn this thing is epicly huge. I've put ~10 hours in and I'm only at 27% story 17% overall.

So I'm a little stuck on one of the side missions. Can someone give me a hint to send me in the right direction without flat out telling me? I still want a little challenge.

Anyway, trying to find
Freeze's wife, Nora. I'm in the location marked on the map but I can't find anything in the circle, and the mission icon is outside of the circle out in the water. The only thing I found interactive in the area is a locked door where Joker's goons won't let me in.

ThirstyFly said:
So I'm a little stuck on one of the side missions. Can someone give me a hint to send me in the right direction without flat out telling me? I still want a little challenge.

Anyway, trying to find
Freeze's wife, Nora. I'm in the location marked on the map but I can't find anything in the circle, and the mission icon is outside of the circle out in the water. The only thing I found interactive in the area is a locked door where Joker's goons won't let me in.
She isnt aboe ground. Where those cranes are overlooking the water, where the first AR training is. There is a breakable wall, glide down onto the boat, make an ice block.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Vire said:
Nah, it totally fit Penguins outlandish character.

Also, finally got every damn Riddler secret. 440...

Man that was a lot. Some of those were really clever though.

how did you like the giant ? Mark on the wonder tower? Eeesh

Square Triangle said:
She isnt aboe ground. Where those cranes are overlooking the water, where the first AR training is. There is a breakable wall, glide down onto the boat, make an ice block.

Thanks. I've give that a try after I finish this other side quest I'm on.

KingK

I beat the game today and spent about another hour doing extra side missions and riddler trophies afterwards. Catwoman's missions were awesome and make me wish we had some Robin and Nightwing story missions as well (plus, dat ass).

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep playing this right now, or start a replay of Uncharted 2 since I just realized that 3 comes out in a little over a week.

Vire

Lonestar said:
how did you like the giant ? Mark on the wonder tower? Eeesh
Haha, when I realized it was on the tower itself I just started laughing out loud. One of my favorites was in the industrial area where you had to soar up high and then dive onto the switch with enough momentum to unlock the trophy.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Vire said:
Haha, when I realized it was on the tower itself I just started laughing out loud. One of my favorites was in the industrial area where you had to soar up high and then dive onto the switch with enough momentum to unlock the trophy.

oh that riddler. He crazy.

I figure that he'd get henchmen to put up all the riddles, but I laugh at the thought of him scaling the tower with a giant bucket of invisible green paint :)

Lakitu

st5fu
I just
rescued Dr. Freeze and I'm about to take on Penguin at the Iceberg Lounge. The Museum is so fun to explore, so many neat little easter eggs. I also thought the Ice area was a nice change of pace.
Didn't have as much time to play today but I can't wait to sink my teeth into it tomorrow.

With all due respect to Christian Bale, they should just dub over his voice with Conroy's everytime there's a speaking part for Batman in The Dark Knight Rises.

The man IS Batman.

I'm not normally the sort of person who likes to 100% a game and get all of it's achievements, but Batman: Arkham City has changed that. I don't know how.

Draft

Is there a way to get the Riddler puzzle clue aside from when you first enter an area? I've been trying to wrap up some of these things, and all I've got to go on half the time is the map marker.

Draft said:
Is there a way to get the Riddler puzzle clue aside from when you first enter an area? I've been trying to wrap up some of these things, and all I've got to go on half the time is the map marker.

Press select, go to the ? icon, change the selection to the area you're in. The ones with a clue are the [] icons. He'll read out the clue for you again there.

I can't imagine collecting all 440 Riddles.

I did it obsessively in the first game and loved it, but there's just so damn many this time and most of them aren't actually any fun.

Top Bottom