• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Man, I wish there were more phone booth type speed runs across the city. I STILL get such a rush traveling across the city somewhere super fast.

And for anyone about to do this, it makes it MUCH easier if you do the first set of AR training. I did the phone calls without the advanced grapple and while I only failed twice, it was nerve wrecking lol.

Jintor said:
Yeah, the Arkhamverse is total adaption distilation. I mean, it still has some elements I don't like, but there ain't never going to be a completely perfect Batman universe.
True that. I appreciate their universe because for better or worse, they pay tribute to all different versions of batman. Seeing all the riddler marks in the city gets me Batman Forever vibe

And everyone I'm not starting on new game plus until I get my skins :0

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Square Triangle said:
And for anyone about to do this, it makes it MUCH easier if you do the first set of AR training. I did the phone calls without the advanced grapple and while I only failed twice, it was nerve wrecking lol.
Hah, yea, I did it after the AR training and never failed once. But it was so exhilarating nonetheless. You really feel time ticking down. Hardest part is not getting there, but finding the phone on the ground, heh.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Hah, yea, I did it after the AR training and never failed once. But it was so exhilarating nonetheless. You really feel time ticking down. Hardest part is not getting there, but finding the phone on the ground, heh.
Lol for me the hardest is also trying to land and instead gets glued on a fence

Omg

Vire

The Antitype said:
So, when you start new-game+, all the riddles and shit you found are already collected, right?

RIGHT?!
Yes, all the riddles/collectables stay persistent throughout your multiple playthroughs and will feed into each other. However the other side quests will not carry over.

JohngPR

Finally beat it a few minutes ago.

So. Fucking. Good.

This is one of the few games that just got better as it went along. That last two hours were fucking great. It's better than Arkham Asylum in just about every way and the ending!

I can't believe they killed the Joker off. I mean...it really looks like he died. I wouldn't even be surprised if they did so because Mark Hamill said he was retiring as the Joker's voice so they figured they could get someone else to take over. Great performances all around. I was on the edge of my seat for a good hour and a half. I loved infiltrating Hugo Strange's compound. So many things I can mention here, but one of my favorite moments was when Ras went to stab himself to stab and kill Batman and Batman just let go of him so he ended up just stabbing himself. Hilarious and probably the best Batman dick move of all time!
I still have no idea how Rocksteady did it, but they are up there with the Naughty Dogs of the world.

GQman2121

Banned
I just finished the third Catwoman story mission and holy shit at what happens if you choose to
let Bats die
and take the
$$$
&
run
. Wow.

Also, if you do decide to go that route, it's really clever of them to shorten the
credits
and
rewind time so that you can continue the main storyline
. This game just continues to surprise me in the most delightful ways imaginable.

To anyone who thinks Catwoman's short side missions are a throw away and add nothing to the main game - YOU KNOW NOTHING!

I feel even worst now for those who got fucked with bogus card codes and worst still for gamers without the ability to download this content at all.

JohngPR said:
I still have no idea how Rocksteady did it, but they are up there with the Naughty Dogs of the world.

They did it the same way that the Naughty Dogs, Infinity Wards, Bungies, Valves, Blizzards, and the rest of the top tier talent in this industry do it - with enough time and money from their respective publishers to do it right.

BeautifulMemory said:
And everyone I'm not starting on new game plus until I get my skins :0

Same here. The next time I prowl Gotham it will be as Batman Earth One or, god help me, if Rocksteady gives me an Azrael skin:

Azrael-batman_01.jpg

Cutwolf

GQman2121 said:
I just finished the third Catwoman story mission and holy shit at what happens if you choose to
let Bats die
and take the
$$$
&
run
. Wow.

Also, if you do decide to go that route, it's really clever of them to shorten the
credits
and
rewind time so that you can continue the main storyline
. This game just continues to surprise me in the most delightful ways imaginable.

To anyone who thinks Catwoman's short side missions are a throw away and add nothing to the main game - YOU KNOW NOTHING!

I feel even worst now for those who got fucked with bogus card codes and worst still for gamers without the ability to download this content at all.

What happens? I took the other path.

SpeedingUptoStop

Yea, this Catwoman side stuff is just a real surprise. It's kind of rare to hear and understand the universal praise a secondary character like this get. I was around in the days of Halo 2 & the arbiter did not get this kind of love, lol.

Cheska

SpeedingUptoStop said:

It's east of the courthouse and west of the church. There's actually one of those "assaults in progress" in the exact same area as this.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Near the end of the game, when you have to follow the Joker into the movie theater; how the hell do you get in? He keeps telling me via radio to come on in, but both doors are locked and there are no side entrances that I can see! Halp.

cackhyena

Has anyone released actual new game plus footage using the different skins? Or is it official that they are only for the combat challenges?

I really wish Rocksteady would do DLC involving side missions. The challenge maps are fun and all but they aren't offering anything new. Like if they did an episode style release like GTAIV, one involving Robin and the other with an entire short campaign of Catwoman. Or Nightwing

Take my money Rocksteady!

Cutwolf

co-op challenge mode or even co-op free roam with random boss events would be sick. bet it's in the sequel.

speaking of sequels, have any hidden rooms been discovered with information on the next one like there was information on Arkham City hidden in AA?

edit to add: hell, even versus mode sort of like Splinter Cell did it would be great.

SpeedingUptoStop

Square Triangle said:
I really wish Rocksteady would do DLC involving side missions. The challenge maps are fun and all but they aren't offering anything new. Like if they did an episode style release like GTAIV, one involving Robin and the other with an entire short campaign of Catwoman. Or Nightwing

Seriously. Shutupandtakemymoney, Rocksteady.

GQman2121

Banned
Cutwolf said:
What happens? I took the other path.

She walks out the doors with the money and is outside of the walls of Arkham City and is now clearly in Gotham. As she's walking she says "screw him" and the credit start to roll.

As the credits are rolling, you hear Oracle crying for help. Oracle says that Joker can't be stopped; that her father is dead; Bruce Wayne is dead; and that people are dying everywhere......

The game then turns into a super fast rewind with Catwoman moving backwards until she is back in the vault where she started. This time when you get to the decision marker it won't allow you to go through the doors. She just says, if she doesn't help Batman, she'll never forgive herself.

Cutwolf

GQman2121 said:
She walks out the doors with the money and is outside of the walls of Arkham City and is now clearly in Gotham. As she's walking she says "screw him" and the credit start to roll.

As the credits are rolling, you hear Oracle crying for help. Oracle says that Joker can't be stopped; that her father is dead; Bruce Wayne is dead; and that people are dying everywhere......

The game then turns into a super fast rewind with Catwoman moving backwards until she is back in the vault where she started. This time when you get to the decision marker it won't allow you to go through the doors. She just says, if she doesn't help Batman, she'll never forgive herself.

I hope you feel real good about yourself

GQman2121

Banned
Square Triangle said:

Honestly, they're fools if they don't do that. A $10-$12 side pack that allows you to run around as Robin, Nightwing or Catwoman would be a wise investment for them at this point. I mean the Catwoman stuff is short and sweet. More of that would be a good thing.

zlatko

Banned
Fantastic game. Just wrapped it up on hard and the ending was well put together. Too many games suck on doing a good ending but this one nails it.

Definitely one of the best games of the year so far. Still doesn't beat out Witcher 2 in my book, but a must play for just about anyone.

Finished earlier today, hell of a game. Hell of a game indeed. What strikes me most is what a complete package it is: An excellent brawler, an excellent exploratory open world, a really magnificent stealth action game(very few games have done it better than here), a clever platformer, creative & cliche-avoiding level and boss design, excellent comic book writing, really surprisingly consistent high quality of voice acting, great atmosphere and good visual design.

I think with this game, and hopefully the new Assassin's Creed, the bar will be raised so that being an excellent open world game doesn't give you a pass on 'missions', as we tend to give to games like Infamous and GTA.

EDIT: Also, Mark Hammil, huh? What a fuckin' performance. Just a real pleasure to hear him go. The dialogue is pretty great all around too. Can't complain about the new Harley either.

This game is absolutely amazing. About 72% of the way through the main story, but have only barely done 100 of the Riddler challenges. Thinking about saving them for after I finish the campaign.

Managed to beat the AR challenges after much trial and error. You REALLY feel like the goddamn Batman after finishing those!

Question about the Riddler hostages: I've got one showing up on my map near the church, but the only thing I see when I go down there is a brick wall w/ a ?. I can't spray gel on it and can't think of any way to open it. Anyone know what I'm missing?

Dead

well not really...yet
Prince of Space said:
This game is absolutely amazing. About 72% of the way through the main story, but have only barely done 100 of the Riddler challenges. Thinking about saving them for after I finish the campaign.

Managed to beat the AR challenges after much trial and error. You REALLY feel like the goddamn Batman after finishing those!

Question about the Riddler hostages: I've got one showing up on my map near the church, but the only thing I see when I go down there is a brick wall w/ a ?. I can't spray gel on it and can't think of any way to open it. Anyone know what I'm missing?
if its the one Im thinking of, then press x on it

SpeedingUptoStop

Conciliator said:
Finished earlier today, hell of a game. Hell of a game indeed. What strikes me most is what a complete package it is: An excellent brawler, an excellent exploratory open world, a really magnificent stealth action game(very few games have done it better than here), a clever platformer, creative & cliche-avoiding level and boss design, excellent comic book writing, really surprisingly consistent high quality of voice acting, great atmosphere and good visual design..
Nailed it. This game is the total package.

JEKKI

whoo~!!! just beat one of the bosses!!

Solomon Grundy wants pants too!!

this game is tite!! but the Riddler stuff is difficult lol.

Probably already posted, but Walmart has duct taped the first Batman's GOTY edition game with this one for free. I have the first BM but no DLC. Is there anything significant in GOTY that I shouldn't miss?

Anything Walmart is missing that they are trying to compensate for by doing this?

Damn. I really like Rocksteady's take on
Mad Hatter.

Like a grunge, drug-pushing cult-leader. Almost kind of reminds me of Raven from his ECW days... only with a higher pitched voice.

I really hope their development of the Wii U version does not get in the way of these versions DLC plans.

The Antitype said:
Damn. I really like Rocksteady's take on
Mad Hatter.

Like a grunge, drug-pushing cult-leader. Almost kind of reminds me of Raven from his ECW days... only with a higher pitched voice.

Yeah too bad
it was a terrible side mission, they really could have taken advantage of his theme. But instead made it a challenge room -_-

Square Triangle said:
I really hope their development of the Wii U version does not get in the way of these versions DLC plans.

Yeah too bad
it was a terrible side mission, they really could have taken advantage of his theme. But instead made it a challenge room -_-

For sure.

You seem like a Batman fan. Did you ever watch the animated show? There was an episode where
Mad Hatter trapped Bruce Wayne in his own subsconscious, an alternate 'perfect' reality where his parents never died, and he was happy. But Batman was there, and he couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong. He was obsessively drawn to Batman, and eventually had to fight him, as Bruce Wayne, to break out.

Now cool would THAT have been as a side-mission?

SpeedingUptoStop

Who do you think Batman is the biggest dick to in this game? I think Freeze takes the cake, when Batman
yanks the life force out of him and pours it out on the ground to get him to help with the cure.
, that was some cold blooded shit.

Top Bottom