• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Two cool things:

1. In the opening sequence
Deadshot is the prisoner in front of you in line that says, "You're on my list, Wayne. Bang!"
When you first enter the church to find Joker's sniper, Hush is lying on a gurney, clutching a cooler of organs

Two angry things:

1. Fuck whoever was in charge of making the "Combo Batarang" Riddler Challenge. It'd be fine if the goddam thing registered correctly, but I've finished 20+ fights, all ending in the X+O Combo Batarang knockout, and it has only registered that I did it ONE fucking time.

2. These "Campaign" challenges are just 3 of the previous combat/predator challenges linked together with arbitrary modifiers? Lame. Guess I won't be getting the Platinum for this...

Weenerz said:
Joker fight where you fight some armless guy, 20 guys, the joker and a titan monster is fucking frustrating as hell. Batman just loves to roll into the guy charging at me, not once BUT EVERY FUCKING TIME!

Enjoying the game, but sometimes fuck this game.

Here's what I do:
Go after the titan first, when you hit with the 3rd strike of the superstun it knocks any henchmen out of attack mode, though not actually stunning them. For the hammer guy, just do the beatdown until he swings, then jump over him and rinse/repeat; if a henchman tries to attack you DON'T counter -- hammer guy can still hit you -- and just jump over the hammer guy.

Rewrite said:
:bow Rocksteady.

I am definitely doing it legit.

FYI,
the calendar next to his cell has the dates circled if you want to write them down as to not forget about them.

Square Triangle said:
Someone in Michigan come to my place and do these Ar Training missions for me before I kill myself. If Batman perches his fat ass on a lamp or hits a brick one more time..

I can't take this.
mAgk5.gif

IS that the chick from Castle?

RyanardoDaVinci said:
1. Fuck whoever was in charge of making the "Combo Batarang" Riddler Challenge. It'd be fine if the goddam thing registered correctly, but I've finished 20+ fights, all ending in the X+O Combo Batarang knockout, and it has only registered that I did it ONE fucking time.

You have to knock the last guy out with a regular batarang by pressing LT/L2

nib95

Banned
So guys, to everyone playing it, or to those who have completed it, how is it? Did it live up to the reviews in the end?

nib95 said:
So guys, to everyone playing it, or to those who have completed it, how is it? Did it live up to the reviews in the end?

Best licensed game of all time and game of the year contender. Definitely going to be top 3 for the year.

nib95 said:

yes...

with that said...it was so good, i wish the campaign never ended....when it was over, i felt really sad. heh.

cackhyena

nib95 said:
For me, without a doubt. It happens so rarely for me, and I wouldn't even say I'm a Batman fan. Not since I stopped reading comics ages ago.

nib95 said:
Nib, I'm not use to this avatar. Granted its a sexy pic of ya.

Right next to Bioshock and Uncharted 2, this is by far one of my favorite games this generation. Went above and beyond the hype, well worth the high scores it has gotten. Rocksteady has some serious talent. My only gripe with the game is its on the Unreal Engine, so tired of it!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just beat the story/campaign.

Ending was very abrupt and felt incomplete. Random Clayface as the pseudo final boss? Gordan saying "what happened in there?!?" as the closing line?

I thought I read that the sequel set up a third title perfectly but I'm not seeing how. Isn't everything wrapped up? I mean obviously Rocksteady could easily do a third. Probably with Riddler finally showing up. But AC doesn't seem to set one up, that I could see.

In fact, I'm disappointed with the story missions overall. I found it to be pretty jumbled and all over the place. Even though it's short I found it hard to keep track of why I was going the places I was going. I guess I "won" when Strange was defeated, but I didn't particularly feel like I had stopped something evil.

Credits are rolling right now so maybe I'll change my tune in a couple minutes if something bonkers happens post-credits...

GDJustin said:
Just beat the story/campaign.

Ending was very abrupt and felt incomplete. Random Clayface as the pseudo final boss? Gordan saying "what happened in there?!?" as the closing line?

I thought I read that the sequel set up a third title perfectly but I'm not seeing how. Isn't everything wrapped up? I mean obviously Rocksteady could easily do a third. Probably with Riddler finally showing up. But AC doesn't seem to set one up, that I could see.
1. Clayface was totally worth it and not entirely random. Play the game again and you'll notice numerous hints to the fake Joker plot.

2. Hush and Azrael's prophecy do a pretty good job of setting up the next game.

cackhyena

Soooo, if anyone still has a Dark Knight Returns skin they don't want. I'd happily take it with nothing to offer. So there's that deal on the table!

GDJustin

The Xtortionist said:
1. Clayface was totally worth it and not entirely random. Play the game again and you'll notice numerous hints to the fake Joker plot.

2. Hush and Azrael's prophecy do a pretty good job of setting up the next game.

Whether the joker stuff was telegraphed or not, it was still jumbled. Why did we run into a tied-up Harley in the steal mill? Why DIDN'T she give the stolen cure to Joker? There might be good answers to these questions, but they likely happened during overheard thug dialogue, which I find hard to pay attention to as I'm prowling around.

Re: point 2 - I don't know what you're talking about.

Luthos said:
Yea, Stana Katic. She does the voice of Talia in this game as well.

Fitting. Both make you utter 'Dat ass!' out loud on sight.

By the way, for all the Batman fans out there, didn't this entire game remind you of the No Man's Land storyarch?

DC shook up Gotham--literally--in its 1999 Batman plot arc: a 7.6 earthquake rocked Gotham City, wreaking enough destruction to bring the broken, crime-ridden, runt kid-brother of Metropolis and New York to its knees. In the story line's most indulgent liberty, those fat cats in Washington decide to write off Gotham, à la Escape from New York, blowing up the connecting bridges, mining the surrounding waterways, and signing into law the Federal Declaration of No Man's Land, which makes it a crime to even set foot in the city. The usual suspects from Arkham Asylum, Two-Face and the Penguin, the Riddler and Dr. Freeze, Poison Ivy and Mr. Zsasz, file out to begin running the show, strong-arming and manipulating the block-by-block turf battles that envelop the now-ultraviolent city. A conflicted Batman shows up fashionably late, only to find that these lunatics are the least of his worries: Lex Luthor, Superman's archfoe, has nefarious designs on Gotham too. Could this possibly get any better? Sure, No Man's Land is derivative fiction, but the appeal of Rucka--and, of course, Batman--can make this one worth the read.

Addnan

I sometimes get a black screen when I start the game, it's getting kind of annoying. I've tried a different Xbox and the same thing happens sometimes.

LiK

Addnan said:
I sometimes get a black screen when I start the game, it's getting kind of annoying. I've tried a different Xbox and the same thing happens sometimes.

happened to me only once. not sure what the issue is.

nib95

Banned
cackhyena said:
For me, without a doubt. It happens so rarely for me, and I wouldn't even say I'm a Batman fan. Not since I stopped reading comics ages ago.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
yes...

with that said...it was so good, i wish the campaign never ended....when it was over, i felt really sad. heh.

The Xtortionist said:
Best licensed game of all time and game of the year contender. Definitely going to be top 3 for the year.

Square Triangle said:
Nib, I'm not use to this avatar. Granted its a sexy pic of ya.

Right next to Bioshock and Uncharted 2, this is by far one of my favorite games this generation. Went above and beyond the hype, well worth the high scores it has gotten. Rocksteady has some serious talent. My only gripe with the game is its on the Unreal Engine, so tired of it!

LiK said:

gibration said:
Pretty much how I felt.

I'm already excited for the sequel too. :p

Holy shit I've never seen a faster more unanimous response. Bow to Rocksteady.

EDIT: Though GDJustin's opinion is slightly different, at least for the ending. Interesting as he's an editor/journalist right?

Jintor

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Two cool things:

1. In the opening sequence
Deadshot is the prisoner in front of you in line that says, "You're on my list, Wayne. Bang!"
When you first enter the church to find Joker's sniper, Hush is lying on a gurney, clutching a cooler of organs

I thought I recognised
Deadshot, though I didn't see Hush...

Square Triangle said:
I really hope some of you decide to go to your local comic shop and get some graphic novels.

{..}

And I can always suggest more, good reads people! Support your local shop- they need it in today's world! =)

I'm curious about the whole Batman R.I.P/Batman: Battle for the Cowl thing. Is it all covered in those two trades (with resolution) or do I need to buy an army of books?

GDJustin

nib95 said:
Holy shit I've never seen a faster more unanimous response. Bow to Rocksteady.

EDIT: Though GDJustin's opinion is slightly different, at least for the ending. Interesting as he's an editor/journalist right?

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, though not as much as most people I've talked to. I mean, I played it almost all day today, which says a lot. But I liked the first one's Metroid-style progression a little more. In the way the island opened up, and also your abilities.

The first one also had at least some actual detective sequences. AC drops all pretense of this, besides one sidequest chain and one very brief moment of the campaign.

Arkham City is very good. You won't find nearly anyone that disagrees. But for me the controls are too complicated and the world too open. I'm probably at an 8/10 right now.

Beat Arkham City. Kinda abrupt, yea. I liked the game, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with it. I loved the Metroidvania feel of the first game, but that wasn't present in this one.

ThirstyFly said:
I'm curious about the whole Batman R.I.P/Batman: Battle for the Cowl thing. Is it all covered in those two trades (with resolution) or do I need to buy an army of books?
Batman RIP is it's own standalone thing, which luckily, doesn't need much else to understand. Battle for the Cowl was kinda meh and follows directly after Final Crisis.

Also, I want a Zur-en-arrh Batman skin for the GOTY of Arkham City.

The Broken Ska Record said:
Batman RIP is it's own standalone thing, which luckily, doesn't need much else to understand. Battle for the Cowl was kinda meh and follows directly after Final Crisis.

I'll just go with RIP then, thanks.

LiK

for you guys who are disappointed with the ending, you should keep playing in the open world. the thugs and various NPCs do talk about what happened in the aftermath. i don't even consider it a real ending since the game keeps going. it won't end for me until i complete the Riddler stuff just like in the first game.

nib95

Banned
GDJustin said:
I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, though not as much as most people I've talked to. I mean, I played it almost all day today, which says a lot. But I liked the first one's Metroid-style progression a little more. In the way the island opened up, and also your abilities.

The first one also had at least some actual detective sequences. AC drops all pretense of this, besides one sidequest chain and one very brief moment of the campaign.

Arkham City is very good. You won't find nearly anyone that disagrees. But for me the controls are too complicated and the world too open. I'm probably at an 8/10 right now.

Interesting. I've seen at least one other journalist who has said something similar.

Personally I enjoyed Arkham Assylum, but it never really blew me away (except during the scarecrow segments). The open world feel of AC certainly appeals to me more, but I won't be able to compare till I finally sit down to play it.

Anyway, intriguing impressions none-the-less.

GDJustin said:

Yea, I agree on the controls being a bit complicated/inconsistent.

Though Id still give it a 9.5 or so(so far), just absolutely jaw dropping of a game for a Batman lover to play.

frequency

GDJustin said:

I have no judgement on the game as a whole but I totally agree with this. I probably just suck at games or something.
When I'm fighting, I can never remember what combination of buttons uses which gadget or which 2 buttons to press for which combo take down thingy.
Or even something as simple as traversal. I keep forgetting how to slide or when I'm gliding around I forget how to do the quick dive thing and sometimes pressing R1 to grapple doesn't work or it grapples onto the wrong thing and I get stuck in a corner, etc, etc.

The problem is probably just me but... I feel like I have very little control over what I'm doing because the controls are overly complicated.

LiK

my only gripe with the controls is the takedown special for Y+X. not the easiest to press at the same time for me. getting the cheevo for doing all the moves in freeflow is gonna be rough.

The quick gadget commands can be hard to remember but most fights can be won with just strike, counter and evade. The game is as complicated as you want to make it, and you'll be rewarded accordingly.

Jintor

GDJustin said:

What do you find too complicated about the controls?

GDJustin

The controls are insane. In combat, all four face buttons get used, as well as three of the four triggers. That's already fucking bonkers. But then, several combinations of TWO face buttons get introduced for special attacks, as well as combinations of shoulder + face buttons. And let's not forget the D-Pad gadget switching. In any given fight you might literally press 12+ buttons and that is in no way an exaggeration. Once you start expecting me, in the heat of the moment, to remember what A+B does Vs. what X+Y does... you're in "not so great controls" territory.

Then there's inconsistencies to button use in/out of combat. A button dodges. A button jumps. A button puts you into cover.

Then there's the semi-randomness of the grapple system. I usually just grapple randomly and hope it works out for the best.

I'm not a game designer so I don't pretend to know better than Rocksteady, but it seems to me the buttons need an overhaul, like the Halo franchise received. Maybe one trigger devoted to nothing but special attacks, or something.

Lakitu

st5fu
The controls took me one hour to actually get used to. More than any other game I've played recently. Now I'm comfortable with them with the odd exception.

Luthos

I love the controls. I've heard some say it is very simple, but the amount of combo moves and quick gadget possibilities, it's plenty complex for me. They make take a bit of getting used to for some, but after platinum'ing Arkham Asylum, I felt plenty prepared for the controls here.

One of my favorite things in the game will be doing the combat challenges. It is so damn satisfying doing a perfect round or something, with a huge combo, and using a bunch of gadgets. And it doesn't hurt how fluid the animations are in the game.

Yo Gotti

Banned
The controls for the combat are great, but you're right about the little nuances like X+A or Y+B to do the special takedowns. Not only do you only have a tiny window to input them in between Batman's animations, but you have to be at a certain combo level, in a certain position, etc.

When you start throwing the shortcuts for the gadgets in the mix and counters for the various types of enemies you come across it really becomes a mess. Eventually you learn it's best to just stick to what's necessary, which is countering, flipping/cape stunning and basic attacking. Trying to execute that other stuff will just get you fucked up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lakitu said:
The controls took me one hour to actually get used to. More than any other game I've played recently. Now I'm comfortable with them with the odd exception.

They're definitely a lot more convoluted than AA was. It isn't somethign you really get "used" to, you start with the Y+B takedown but they add A+X, X+Y, etc. for different enemies that you need to try to remember as you get farther. I usually just stick to the normal takedown or the one that breaks the weapon to not get confused.

Papercuts said:
They're definitely a lot more convoluted than AA was. It isn't somethign you really get "used" to, you start with the Y+B takedown but they add A+X, X+Y, etc. for different enemies that you need to try to remember as you get farther. I usually just stick to the normal takedown or the one that breaks the weapon to not get confused.

Yeah, all I really used through the game was strike, counter, evade, stun, batclaw disarm, REC (for armored dudes) and Y+B. Only used other stuff for Riddler challenges. Made it through just fine.

GDJustin

Yo Gotti said:
When you start throwing the shortcuts for the gadgets in the mix and counters for the various types of enemies you come across it really becomes a mess. Eventually you learn it's best to just stick to what's necessary, which is countering, flipping/cape stunning and basic attacking. Trying to execute that other stuff will just get you fucked up.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the "shortcuts" ! So, there's actually TWO different controller inputs for many of the gadget moves.

Genius controls, right? :p

I am semi-trolling at this point, but it's true AC's controls are the most complex and convoluted of pretty much any AAA game this gen.

GDJustin said:

I very much agree with all of this. I wouldn't say the controls are complicated, but the combat is not as fulfilling as it can be. Especially the takedowns, as someone mentioned.

The Broken Ska Record said:
I very much agree with all of this. I wouldn't say the controls are complicated, but the combat is not as fulfilling as it can be. Especially the takedowns, as someone mentioned.

The goddamn Batman breaking some poor fool's bones isn't "fulfilling"?

: /

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Xtortionist said:
Yeah, all I really used through the game was strike, counter, evade, stun, batclaw disarm, REC (for armored dudes) and Y+B. Only used other stuff for Riddler challenges. Made it through just fine.

Oh, does rec do something to armored people? I just beat them down. I don't use gadgets in general nearly as much in AC(for combat) unless I'm using catwoman in the challenge rooms, because her stuff is godly.

Don't see the argument with the controls; they're exceptionally easy to grasp.

One button to attack, one to counter. That'll see you through the game.

The rest is there if you have the capabilities. If people find it difficult, then isn't that more on the users head and not the games?

I find using all the combo possibilities very rewarding, especially as it does take skill and it isn't this 'press one button to win' crap...

Papercuts said:
Oh, does rec do something to armored people? I just beat them down. I don't use gadgets in general nearly as much in AC(for combat) unless I'm using catwoman in the challenge rooms, because her stuff is godly.

REC knocks them back which can injure anyone behind them. Also makes them swing their weapon wildly.

Detective mode shows no such breakage.

Perhaps it would be a bit too much for a T-rated game.

Top Bottom