• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

hamchan

Acquiescence said:
To break the shields, is that a move you have to unlock or is it available from the start? Because I really don't recall encountering any tutorial for that ability.

It's an upgrade I think.

Zeliard

Yeah there's an upgrade where you remove an enemy's weapon/shield and destroy it permanently so it can't be picked up and used again.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Yeah takedowns are handy when dealing with the armored/shield guys. Also has a cool takedown animation.

Another way to deal with them is Quickfire explosive gel and use it as a mine.

How do you takedown someone again? Is that when you hold R2 and press triangle on a downed opponent? Because every time I attempt to do that move, I'm interrupted by some dude attacking me, so I can never pull it off.

Replicant said:
the floor is electrified. The medic is hoisted on a platform and there are two question mark levers that controls the electric current and one that can elevate another platform up. But I can't get this platform closer to the medic and gliding can't take me there.

I must have missed a switch or something.
Line launch to the elevator and hit the switch to raise it. Then glide from its highest point to the hostage.

Acquiescence said:
How do you takedown someone again? Is that when you hold R2 and press triangle on a downed opponent? Because every time I attempt to do that move, I'm interrupted by some dude attacking me, so I can never pull it off.

Top face button + right face button

Replicant said:
They do but then what? I can't figure out what to do after that.

Ahh...so it is the same riddle.
I don't remember it very clearly but once you follow the paths all the way there is an elevator that lifts you up. I think you may be missing a switch since it elevates with each switch you hit right? Once your pretty high I think you can glide close then grapnel to the platform? EDIT: Yeah line launch might be the answer. I don't remember if I had the line launch at that time though.

hamchan

Acquiescence said:

Triangle + Circle is the instant takedown special move. Requires multiplier to be yellow coloured, which happens when it reaches 5x.

Oh yeah, the weapon break special move also requires the multiplier to be yellow.

Zeliard

Acquiescence said:

You need some space to pull that one off. Best to do when you have an enemy that's standing off more alone.

Most efficient way to take people down with Batman is probably the Batarang takedown - the special combo finisher where you KO anyone who's on the ground. Just knock a bunch of fools down, unleash that move and they ain't getting back up. Very useful for whittling down larger groups more quickly.

Acquiescence said:
To break the shields, is that a move you have to unlock or is it available from the start? Because I really don't recall encountering any tutorial for that ability.
I'm pretty sure the weapon break is one you buy on a level-up, but it might unlock at a certain point in the game. I can't really remember. When you unlock it it's Square + Triangle (or X and Y). I'm pretty sure you start the game with the Instant Takedown, which is Triangle + Circle.

I'm finding the weapon break absolutely invaluable in the Challenge Rooms. In Arkham Asylum you just had to make peace with the fact that those Stun Rods were always going to be there. You'd take out the guys holding them as soon as possible but other guys would just pick them up and before you knew it you'd accidentally Batclawed one of them right over to you.

Now my first priorities in any fight are to break every Shield and Stun Rod and then Freeze Blast the armoured enemies to perform Beatdowns on them after I've thinned the herd. Rolling out of the fight, throwing three Quick Fire Batarangs and punching one or two more dudes and then following up the the Batarang Takedown move can take four or five guys out of a fight immediately, and once you get into Freeflow Focus mode all your gadgets get super powerful. Your REC arcs between like six guys and stuns them all, and your Freeze Blast has a huge area of effect. I'm having so much fun in the Challenge Rooms.

matrix-cat said:
Now my first priorities in any fight are to break every Shield and Stun Rod and then Freeze Blast the armoured enemies to perform Beatdowns on them after I've thinned the herd. Rolling out of the fight, throwing three Quick Fire Batarangs and punching one or two more dudes and then following up the the Batarang Takedown move can take four or five guys out of a fight immediately, and once you get into Freeflow Focus mode all your gadgets get super powerful. Your REC arcs between like six guys and stuns them all, and your Freeze Blast has a huge area of effect. I'm having so much fun in the Challenge Rooms.

Holy smokes batman! I need to try that.

Replicant

The Xtortionist said:
Line launch to the elevator and hit the switch to raise it. Then glide from its highest point to the hostage.
Thx I finally did it after a few tries. The glide mechanic is Godawful though.

AniHawk

beat the game's story mode.

wow at
ra's, tallia, hugo strange, and the joker all getting killed off. batman: gotham city is sure going to feel empty. out of all of them, i only liked joker's death. it was reminiscent of his death in return of the joker, and it was sad knowing this was really the end of the conroy/hamill era for good (at least on hamill's end).

also, conroy and hamill really brought it. i thought hamill was a little rusty in asylum, but his old age and inability to hit the higher notes fit better with a dying joker and he did a great job at making him sound like his health was deteriorating.

i still think it's a shame they didn't bring in other people from the animated series. what's the point of having ra's without david warner? or mr. freeze without michael ansara (although on closer inspection, it looks like he retired 10 years ago)?

the game itself was pretty nice. at the end i liked asylum a bit more, but i'm glad city is here because i get to fly around a city as the goddamn batman, and it's different enough that it doesn't feel like more of the same. the boss battles were better this time too, which was nice to see. the cases in the city are pretty cool too, as repetitive as some are.

I read there were three alternate scenes if you watch the entire credits at the end. Probably setups for Gotham City
Killer Croc, Scarecrow, and someone else getting their hands on the TITAN
Any confirmation on this? I

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Game is awesome, but I almost feel overwhelmed at times. I'll be on my way to a story mission when an urgent sounding side mission pops up, and then I'm off to that.

The AR missions are also tough as heck. I've only completed one set of them. I feel like I've been making progress, but last I checked I only completed 7% of the game.

This sucker is just packed with stuff to do.

RPGCrazied

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
I read there were three alternate scenes if you watch the entire credits at the end. Probably setups for Gotham City

Nope, nothing.

AniHawk

FantasticMrFoxdie said:

that was the post credits scene for asylum, not city. city's post-credits take you to the post-game.

Jintor

matrix-cat said:
I'm pretty sure the weapon break is one you buy on a level-up, but it might unlock at a certain point in the game. I can't really remember. When you unlock it it's Square + Triangle (or X and Y). I'm pretty sure you start the game with the Instant Takedown, which is Triangle + Circle.

I'm finding the weapon break absolutely invaluable in the Challenge Rooms. In Arkham Asylum you just had to make peace with the fact that those Stun Rods were always going to be there. You'd take out the guys holding them as soon as possible but other guys would just pick them up and before you knew it you'd accidentally Batclawed one of them right over to you.

This man knows how to play. Free-flow combat is all about prioritising enemies and reacting to rapidly-changing situations. It's some of the most fun I've had in ages.

JMizzlin

Any tips for taking out the
gauntlet of snipers
in the lead up to
going to the movie theatre to face Joker
? I'm stuck.

gdt

Eye Drop said:
gauntlet of snipers
in the lead up to
? I'm stuck.

Just sneak up slowly behind each one.

Eye Drop said:
gauntlet of snipers
in the lead up to
? I'm stuck.

Also don't forget about your disruptor. If they see you, throw a smoke pellet and come back around from a different angle.

So GAF, a question.

I beat this game yesterday in two sittings on easy difficulty. I know, laugh at my baby style of playing, but I just wanted to experience the main campaign before all the other titles hit, and will platinum in due time just like Arkham Asylum. (Game was amazing btw but I liked the confined setting of AA better).

The thing is I think I am fucked because New Game+ only opens on beating the main story on Normal/Hard, and it looks like I can't start a New game on the same save slot. I don't mind playing through the game another two times on another slot, but I was starting doing sidequests today when this thought hit me.

In short, will I be able to get the "Perfect Knight: Day 2" trophy on multiple slots or do all the requirements (100%, beating new game plus etc.) have to be met on one slot?

The predator scene at the top of
Wonder Tower
was brutal. Really tough to get in there and do it legit. I was able to do all but one guy on my second try, but I really felt like I got lucky. Awesome setup though.

Anyone ever have, in a predator sequence
the last guy throw his hands up and surrender?
. Happened once for me so it seems like it's not all the time. So cool.

Just finished the main story and it felt like it finished too quickly. I definitely don't think it went along as well as Asylum. Maybe I'm spoiled by Dark Souls or something?

The first hour of the game is amazing. I spent several minutes just staring at the city itself. Since then however, I've gone back to hating the combat. And Batman's just as stupid as ever when it comes to falling for any trap Joker sets.

MarshMellow96 said:
Just finished the main story and it felt like it finished too quickly. I definitely don't think it went along as well as Asylum. Maybe I'm spoiled by Dark Souls or something?

I also just finished, and feel similarly. The game seem to go by incredibly fast.

All in all, a really good game, not as mind blowing as people I'd been hearing previously, but still a great game.

Little bummed that there's not much to do once the game is done. The side missions aren't in great quantity, this is especially noticed once the game has been done and several side missions have already been completed during the main game. I have zero interest in the phones, or the ridder trophies, and anything of that nature. I prefer story fueled side quests, and although the ones in the game are good, there's just not enough of them.

Glad I paid £30 for the game tbh.

StevePharma said:
In short, will I be able to get the "Perfect Knight: Day 2" trophy on multiple slots or do all the requirements (100%, beating new game plus etc.) have to be met on one slot?
I'm pretty sure it all has to be on one save slot. When you look at your stats for a certain save slot it gives you your percentages for your original game and your New Game Plus, so if Easy doesn't have a New Game Plus I doubt you'd be able to get the Trophy.

I've actually been wondering about that, because it seems like there's no Trophy for beating the game on Hard mode like there was in the first game. Getting Perfect Knight Day 2 would surely be harder to do on Hard mode than it is on Normal, but the Trophies don't really reflect that.

MarshMellow96 said:
I think the main story is shorter than Arkham Asylum for sure, but the game makes up for it with the side missions and the scope of the city. My last playthrough of AA clocked in at just under eight hours, but that was me knowing exactly where to go and not going out of my way to get Riddler trophies, and I think a similar run through the story of AC would probably be shorter than that.

The main story ends quite abruptly but some of the side mission endings should count for more than just side missions, if that makes any sense. I feel like those bits would have been part of the main story if AC had followed the same formula as AA.

Dabanton said:
Did you just do the main story? or side bits as well?

I did the main story and most of the side quests. I only have the riddles, assaults, the zsasz stuff and some others to do. I know there's a load of riddles but still.
Strange's death felt like about half way.

matrix-cat, I'm not sure about that. I personally preferred Asylum because it put all of the side missions around the story, rather than divorcing it entirely as it is in City. I don't know why they felt that had to do that - the game isn't really an 'open world' any way you swing it. It's still Batman-y good stuff, but it definitely doesn't feel as considered as Asylum, even with all of the fan nods, etc.

'Congratulations you've unlocked Batman skins oh no wait you don't have any' pissed me off too..

MMaRsu

Guys please help im stuck in the wonder tower foundations, I alreadh did all the story stuff there but I cant find the exit!! Im jn the big room where you do the predator stuff to save that doc.

Lakitu

st5fu
Ok, need some help please.

I've tracked down Zsasz and I'm in the room where he has two hostages in cages. The front door is locked so I go through the vents and then into the main room with the boiling water. I make it to the last section (the landing just after the rotors in the water). I can't for the life of me find a way to get passed this section. I've tried everything, I just keep on falling in the water. I tried the zip line and climbed on some pipes, then whatever I do next I fail and I also tried gliding but it doesn't seem to work in this room. What do I do?

MMaRsu

Oh man I need to get out of this room lol its driving me crazy I wanna go outside!

Lol had to resort to watching a playthrough vid on youtube.

Lakitu said:
Ok, need some help please.

I've tracked down Zsasz and I'm in the room where he has two hostages in cages. The front door is locked so I go through the vents and then into the main room with the boiling water. I make it to the last section (the landing just after the rotors in the water). I can't for the life of me find a way to get passed this section. I've tried everything, I just keep on falling in the water. I tried the zip line and climbed on some pipes, then whatever I do next I fail and I also tried gliding but it doesn't seem to work in this room. What do I do?

Wait till the water drops then slide under the pipes you will grab on to a ledge.

JohngPR

Eye Drop said:
gauntlet of snipers
in the lead up to
? I'm stuck.

Follow the laser sights. There was always one sniper that isn't being guarded by another sniper. It's more of a puzzle really. Take out the guy that isn't being covered by another snipers laser scope first. Once I realized that, I took them all about without being spotted.

Lakitu

st5fu
Lifejumper said:
Wait till the water drops then slide under the pipes you will grab on to a ledge.

Thanks for the reply but yeah I did that, and I crossed onto the other platform after that. But it's the last one I'm stuck on to get to the area leading to
Zsasz and the hostages.
I've tried everything, so frustrating.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Lakitu said:
Thanks for the reply but yeah I did that, and I crossed onto the other platform after that. But it's the last one I'm stuck on to get to the area leading to
Zsasz and the hostages.

Do you have the Freeze Grenades? Because you need them.

Vire

Lakitu said:
Zsasz and the hostages.
Do you have the freeze blast? You need that...

Lakitu

st5fu
BY2K said:
Do you have the Freeze Grenades? Because you need them.

Nope, I don't. Thanks, guess I have to come back. Every time I'm stuck it always seem to be a case of not having the gadget / item at the time.

Zeliard said:
I like messing with the gadget freeflow upgrade. The one that makes gadgets more powerful when you hit a 12x (I think) multiplier, i.e. adding chain lightning to the REC that knocks goons down.

damn I need to try that.

hamchan said:
You can also break their shields with square + triangle, which is preferable for combat rooms since you want to beat them some more to get a higher multiplier. Also prevents other enemies from picking up the fallen equipment.

that is, if he unlocked that ability...he might not have yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lakitu said:
Nope, I don't. Thanks, guess I have to come back. Every time I'm stuck it always seem to be a case of not having the gadget / item at the time.
You don't need
freeze grenades
. I did it before getting them. The
line launcher
is enough.

Zeliard

Calavera520 said:
damn I need to try that.

Yeah it's pretty cool. Though I was mistaken about it knocking them down, it just stuns them. Still useful and it comes out quicker and probably does more damage than the Bat Swarm.

I like using a power REC shot then knocking the stunned enemies down with strikes and following it up with a Batarang takedown. Though it's always hard to resist not staying in freeflow focus. :> Especially with Catwoman.

Jarmel

Banned
Absolutely fantastic. Best game I've played in the past year and a half, possibly two. They did a truly amazing job.

I would kill for a Spider-Man game of this caliber.

Tsukumo

Just finished the main story today, after rushing through the city ignoring screaming people, ringing phones, rooftops banters and glowing question marks.

Things I liked:
-The map doesn't feel five times the size of the asylum. It sure enough does in terms of content though, which is what I longed for. Thank you Rocksteady. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Game of the forever.
-The new moves, expecially the takedown that destroys weapons, are cool and magnify the coreography and the technicality of the hand-to-hand combat. I rarely used the Batarang takedown just so that I could prolong each fight as much as possible. This is how you do a simple yet spectacular and satisfying combat system, Ubisoft Montreal: three Assassin's Creeds and still you refuse to give people fight mechanics that would involve any skill whatsoever.
-Enemy gallery. Encounters where brief alright, but at least you get to face a lot of bat-villains instead of just collecting their memorabilia.
-Bat-dialogue grew on me. I always felt that a Batman who chats too much it's not a true Batman, but here even the WWF-like threats don't feel like cheesy though talk from over-built dudebros. Maybe that's due more to Conroy's capabilities rather than Dini's.
-The music was exceptional. I've played Asylum four times and every time I've played with a custom soundtrack. This time around it seems I will have to use AC soundtrack to play other games. Truly magnificent
-Boss fights were amazing. They required coordination and quick-thinking, and even though they involved patterns I never felt the game required me to die to learn them. Like someone already said a couple of pages ago, reviewers who stated that the boss fights were still unimaginative are plain wrong

Things I absolutely disliked:
-Dear mr Sefton Hill, seriously: if I disable hints in the option menu it means I don't want to be given any hint AT ALL! Who came up with the idea of placing button sequences right in the middle of the screen right in the middle of a fight? You can't disable them, they don't vanish after a while, they keep coming until you clear the relative riddler challenge, how in hell am I supposed to see what happens when everything is covered by text over the screen? This pairs with "I have to get to the Bell tower" "I have to get to the Bell tower", but it's much much more unforgiveable. I had this button sequence stuff happening right in the middle of A BOSS FIGHT! Come on!

Things I sort of disliked:
-The "new" use for the cape stun is kinda meh. I liked that it's been revisited, but now I have to keep in mind that after a cape stun I can't evade (because the game mistakes that for an aerial combo) and I can't strike without getting locked into a beatdown. I got around it and now it doesn't bother me anymore, but, you know, it's called free-flow...
-The music, and this is not a true dislike, is too cool for predator sequences. I mean, every time the score kicks in I can't restrain myself to recklessly abandon cover and punching thugs in the face. Something more moody and creepy would have helped to play slowly and stealthy.
-Too much Joker. The character dominated Asylum, this should have been the chance for Strange and Two Face to steal the stage. Dini can do magic with any character you can give him: as long as he doesn't put Zatanna in a Batman game he will always be Batman's greatest writer.
-The Dark Knight skin: preview pics showed he had eyes. What happened to them? The Year One and the Beyond skin already featured the creepy white corneas, why remove the humanity from a fat, sixty year old, muscle bloated character who had his own flavor? I hope you guys at Rocksteady didn't change that to make him look cooler after reading people where bashing it...

I hate the knife wielding enemies, fucking bullshit. I know how to do the counter (left stick away + hold triangle, but let go and re-hold for every swipe) but it's an unnecessarily complex manoeuvre, especially when you're in the middle of a fight and the game gives you pretty much zero opportunity to practice. The game definitely needs a combat practice room where you can set the number of enemies and what weapons they have.

Double D

All this talk about the story feeling a little short has me concerned I might be finishing up sooner than I thought. I've really only played for one sitting. I just finished up the
Ra's
section. About how far would you say I am?

Up until this point, the story has felt rather pressing, so I haven't done any exploration or side missions at all. I think I've done two AR missions. I kind of hate when open world games make you feel rushed to do the story, but if I've still got a good chunk of game left then it should start going a little better

george_us

Well I haven't had anymore technical problems so that's good. Just got to
Talia
and I'm liking this a lot more now. I love how most of the old gadgets got new functions added to them and the new gadgets are cool as hell. Overall I like this a lot more than AA.

BY2K

Membero Americo
RoboPlato said:
You don't need
freeze grenades
. I did it before getting them. The
line launcher
is enough.

But you're suppose to do it with the
freeze blast
, though.

Top Bottom