• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Mako_Drug

Got the game today, only played about the first two hours or so but man what is up with the writing in this. It's been a while since I finished AA but I don't remember being so confronted by the cheesiness of the dialogue.

Tsukumo

george_us said:
Well I haven't had anymore technical problems so that's good. Just got to
Talia
and I'm liking this a lot more now. I love how most of the old gadgets got new functions added to them and the new gadgets are cool as hell. Overall I like this a lot more than AA.

Hi. I've read your post about the game installation and the update and since I bought the game just friday I decided to try it your way. I did as you said, installed the game before playing it for the first time and then I got the update. No freeze at all. I hadn't installed Catwoman 'cause I wanted to play through the main quest as fast as I could and unlock new game plus.
Then I installed the Dark Knight skin and as soon as I started playing the game froze ^_____^
I think you're right, the freeze problem has something to do with the dlcs.
Still have to install Catwoman by the way.
I have a first-model 360 with a 250 giga HD.

frequency

matrix-cat said:
Y'all jokers complaining about the controls are crazy. Controls are bad because you can pull off a whole bunch of moves in combat? Come on. Do you want some generic light/heavy system like every single other game out there?

Batman's combat engine is stellar, there's nothing that offers a similar experience. It's all about staying calm and collected in the face of thirty dudes trying to beat you to death, and when you learn when to use which attacks and you start thinking up strategies it's the greatest thing in the world. And if you want to just use the basic moves you can do that, too; the game rewards you for learning its mechanics and there's no better feeling of accomplishment than taking out a horde of dudes without taking one single scratch in a long, flowing combo.

They aren't even complex controls. The 'hardest' moves to snap out are either double-taps or two buttons pressed together, and you can pause for a full second in between each move to consider your options. There are no crazy fighting game eight-button combos, the skill is just knowing when to use which move.
I'm pretty sure the problem is that I suck but I find the controls pretty complicated mostly because there are so many things to remember. I'm not saying they're bad... and I fully acknowledge the problem is probably with me. A second isn't long enough for me to run through all the options available to me and then figure out what button combination does what I want to do.

I just, for some reason, have a way harder time learning this game than other games. And I really don't want to just get by on attacks/counters. I want to use the full system.
The combat feels great when I can do what I want to do. I'm just incapable of doing it most of the time. Yeah I guess I'm slow.

I think about the Metal Gear games that use like 4 buttons just to shoot. Those are bad controls but I had a much easier time grasping them than I do these ones. I don't know what it is about this game... I don't remember having issues with Arkham Asylum.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Square Triangle said:
Go buy a disgusting NOS energy drink and it's yours!

1. I love that stuff.
But 2. Those special code ones aren't available in Canada. Or at least where I buy my stuff. :(

789shadow

Banned
Got all the secrets in Park Row. Go me!

But I have a problem with the combat challenges. Some of them are incredibly specific, like using the electric gun to take out a jammer backpack. Do those guys even appear anymore?

BY2K

Membero Americo
789shadow said:

But I have a problem with the combat challenges. Some of them are incredibly specific, like using the electric gun to take out a jammer backpack. Do those guys even appear anymore?

There's one in the subway.

Square Triangle said:
Poor Canada, Don Cherry's suits scare everything away.

Who gives a crap about Don Cherry? I want my Beyond Skin, damn it.

Xevren

789shadow said:

You can run into them in the subway where you first saw them sometimes.

JohngPR

Lakitu said:
Thanks for the reply but yeah I did that, and I crossed onto the other platform after that. But it's the last one I'm stuck on to get to the area leading to
Zsasz and the hostages.
I've tried everything, so frustrating.

Is this the bit where you
need to throw an ice grenade to make a makeshift raft to pull yourself across the water?

EDIT: NM see that its already answered. LOL

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Buckethead said:
Why did they get 'rid of the "Time Played" stat?

Bastards.
So you don't feel embarrassed for doing 30+ hours in a week, which is something like me, lol.

I gotta say, Predator rooms this go around got really simplified once they didn't start blowing up Gargoyles at levels near the end. This disrupter stuff was cake, and I didn't even know what the proximity mines were for, never went off.

Zeliard

Tsukumo said:
Things I sort of disliked:
-The "new" use for the cape stun is kinda meh. I liked that it's been revisited, but now I have to keep in mind that after a cape stun I can't evade (because the game mistakes that for an aerial combo) and I can't strike without getting locked into a beatdown. I got around it and now it doesn't bother me anymore, but, you know, it's called free-flow...

I love the new beat down maneuver. Some of the best shit ever is pulling a stun on someone and starting the beat down, pausing for a second to counter some other fool coming in, going back into the beat down animation, countering two more others and throwing a barrel back at some asshole's face, and then finally finishing off that original guy.

It's great how the beat down process continues so long as the guy remains stunned. It can make for dashes of action that are effortlessly cinematic and just cool. Batman momentarily concentrating his efforts on some unfortunate soul while just casually brushing others aside.

Futurevoid said:
Completed it tonight. Absolutely loved it. I couldn't put it down over the past three days and just binged on it like a mad man.

I'm currently sitting at 77% overall completion. My Riddler challenge count sits at 432/440. I need to finish up some of the Batman skill challenges and find three straggler trophies in Park Row but I'll get there over the week. All side missions were completed and I got all of the upgrades available for Batman/Catwoman.

I want to finish getting 440/440 then I'll start up the New Game + to finish up during the next week and into the weekend.

I had the same problem with the last couple trophies, they were never shown on my map after interrogating riddler thugs. if they are the same ones i was missing, check the courthouse, behind the doorway at the top of the stairs before calender man. and then there are i think 3 in the church. two behind breakable walls, and one on a wall at the bottom of the bell tower.

SpeedingUptoStop

Zeliard said:
I love the new beat down maneuver. Some of the best shit ever is pulling a stun on someone and starting the beat down, pausing for a second to counter some other fool coming in, going back into the beat down animation, countering two more others and throwing a barrel back at some asshole's face, and then finally finishing off that original guy.

It's great how the beat down process continues so long as the guy remains stunned. It can make for dashes of action that are effortlessly cinematic and just cool. Batman momentarily concentrating his efforts on some unfortunate soul while just casually brushing others aside.
Yea, seriously, this is one of the best mechanics I've ever played with. I fucking LOVE IT. I feel like such a badass. It's not just normal combat with counters and shit, but it's that + being able to fucking destroy this one dude at the same time.

789shadow said:

yeah go back and check the subway and the elevator room for wonder tower that is down in wonder city.

Spike6663

The Catwoman parts seem really poorly paced. I had two segments with her within the first 2 hours and havn't seen her for yonks now. Infact, I'd totally forgotten she was around until oe of the guards mentioned it.

bitoriginal

If possible, I think I need a little help. I'm in the museum
and upto the ice lake. I need to save the frozen undercover cops, and I'm on this little raft, but I can't break the ice. What am I supposed to do? Explosive jel cant be used, and Batman isn't allowed to leave. It's driving me crazy!

Also, loving the length of this game when you end up doing the challenges and stuff. Been playing for ages and I'm barely through the game. AR training was my favourite, some of them were quite challenging. Wanted more though.

Zeliard said:

Yeah the beatdown is nuts. Try it out with Catwoman when you have a enemy next to a wall. Her finishing blow with be her kicking the dude in the throat and holding him there for a second against the wall. So badass.

Vire

bitoriginal said:
If possible, I think I need a little help. I'm in the museum
and upto the ice lake. I need to save the frozen undercover cops, and I'm on this little raft, but I can't break the ice. What am I supposed to do? Explosive jel cant be used, and Batman isn't allowed to leave. It's driving me crazy!

Also, loving the length of this game when you end up doing the challenges and stuff. Been playing for ages and I'm barely through the game. AR training was my favourite, some of them were quite challenging. Wanted more though.
I'll give you a hint, use your grapple.

SpeedingUptoStop

That interrogation where Batman stands on a guy's face is brutal. You can't expect me to believe Batman didn't crush that dude's skull.

cackhyena

bitoriginal said:
Cheers, that was the hint I needed. Now you've told me, it's hilariously obvious!
Believe me, I was astounded at how long it had stumped me as well. Sometimes it's the simplest things...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bootaaay said:
I hate the knife wielding enemies, fucking bullshit. I know how to do the counter (left stick away + hold triangle, but let go and re-hold for every swipe) but it's an unnecessarily complex manoeuvre, especially when you're in the middle of a fight and the game gives you pretty much zero opportunity to practice. The game definitely needs a combat practice room where you can set the number of enemies and what weapons they have.

You don't have to let go of either button... just hold away + triangle and you'll easily dodge each swipe.

I think letting go of and repressing the button is just for the insta takedown, which isn't necessary.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SpeedingUptoStop said:
That interrogation where Batman stands on a guy's face is brutal. You can't expect me to believe Batman didn't crush that dude's skull.
Damn, I haven't seen that one. How do you trigger it?

Zeliard

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Haha yeah I love that. Batman's not killing people, he's merely violently smashing their heads into concrete.

Neiteio

Zeliard said:
Haha yeah I love that. Batman's not killing people, he's merely violently smashing their heads into concrete.
He's Batman. He's a genius and knows what points to curbstomp to nonlethally distribute disabling pressure to a goon's skull. He can also tell, on the fly, the launch trajectory each blow will send an enemy spiraling, and the angle their body will hit the concrete, and the impact this will have, given their body density in relation to the concrete along with the angle and speed he launched them. Because he's a genius.

LOL

Milly79

Sorry if this has been asked before, and I can't remember if it was available to do in AA, but:

After you finish the main story, can you go back and mop up side quests and what-not? I'm playing on easy to get the hang of combat once again, and I'd love to get 100% on this. I did see there were achievements for 100% (I believe) and NG+, so I'm hoping it all ties in knowing that I can't do a NG+ without playing on normal now.

Grisby

Getting near the end I believe.

Damn, I want a full Catwoman game. Love playing as her. Just did the silent takedown where she squeezes the dude's neck on the ground while simultaneously checking her nails. Laughed hard at that.

Neiteio

Milly79 said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, and I can't remember if it was available to do in AA, but:

After you finish the main story, can you go back and mop up side quests and what-not? I'm playing on easy to get the hang of combat once again, and I'd love to get 100% on this. I did see there were achievements for 100% (I believe) and NG+, so I'm hoping it all ties in knowing that I can't do a NG+ without playing on normal now.
I beat the game on Normal and unlocked NG+, which is accessed from the same save slot but does NOT overwrite your Normal game -- you can go back and forth between the two freely within the same slot, and progress is shared (I.E. NG+ too tough? Go back to Normal and level up, then come back to continue to the story in NG+).

Right now I'm doing all the sidequests in Normal, trying to 100 percent it. Then I may consider doing NG+, so I can go in fully prepared. Plus, I love the bonus content like the Character Trophis, so those are a priority right now. :)

BY2K said:
1. I love that stuff.
But 2. Those special code ones aren't available in Canada. Or at least where I buy my stuff. :(

Hey, I will try and pick one up for you and PM you with the code. Personally, I can't stand the taste of the stuff, when I got mine i took two sips then threw it away. I have friends that love the stuff though, i will just give them the opened can. Lol.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
upJTboogie said:
I want to know how far in the game I'm in, do you know? Halfway, close to the end...

Yeah but why? i mean it's always better if you don't know it. Makes things much more exciting. Like oh i beat this boss was it the final boss or is there more?

Don't ruin your experience dude.

Grisby

upJTboogie said:
Thank you.
Er, I didn't actually highlight your spoiler boogie but was just going off of my own gut feeling. However, I went back and highlighted it (at great risk!) and your about an hour or two behind me. Your coming up on the 3rd
catwoman section which is what I just finished a bit ago.
There are only 4 and after that 3rd one I was at a 76% story completion.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Yeah but why? i mean it's always better if you don't know it. Makes things much more exciting. Like oh i beat this boss was it the final boss or is there more?

Don't ruin your experience dude.
It's not going to ruin it, I just want to know if I was near the end so I can do a few side missions I've been holding off on.

@Grisby Okay so I still have a good amount to go then.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
upJTboogie said:
It's not going to ruin it, I just want to know if I was near the end so I can do a few side missions I've been holding off on.

After you've finished the main story you can always come back and do all the side missions and riddler stuff :)

789shadow

Banned
Ok, so I'm in the large subway tunnel room, and there's a Trophy behind a fuse box gate. Does anyone have any idea where I can get some electricity to break it?

Sn4ke_911 said:
After you've finished the main story you can always come back and do all the side missions and riddler stuff :)
Okay perfect, but I'm still going to try and wrap things up before I go for the home stretch, that's usually what I do in open world games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
upJTboogie said:
Okay perfect, but I'm still going to try and wrap things up before I go for the home stretch, that's usually what I do in open world games.
You actually can't finish all of the side missions up before postgame.

I'm at the part with Catwoman where I have to decide
whether or not to drop my suitcases and rescue Batman
. Is one decision notably better / worse than the other? I don't want spoilers, just want to know if I'm going to really regret one choosing one option or the other.

Top Bottom