• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Sean

Banned
I swear these Riddler challenges are dumb as fuck.

This one on Amusment Mile, you see the trophy in clear sight in a tiny metal maze, problem is there are about a dozen proximity mines inside and your disruptor can only explode two before it has a lengthy recharge process. So you're standing in place for literally over ten minutes just to crawl a few feet. How is this fun in any way whatsoever? It's not.
Whoever at Rocksteady designed this is a piece of shit.

Yeah yeah, I know it's completely optional but I want to complete this game 100%, and there's also like ten different achievements tied to this Riddler fetch quest.

Sean said:

This one on Amusment Mile, you see the trophy in clear sight in a tiny metal maze, problem is there are about a dozen proximity mines inside and your disruptor can only explode two before it has a lengthy recharge process. So you're standing in place for literally over ten minutes just to crawl a few feet.

Yeah yeah, I know it's completely optional but I want to complete this game 100%, and there's also like ten different achievements tied to this Riddler fetch quest.

Just disable two of them and run through the rest.

Sean said:

This one on Amusment Mile, you see the trophy in clear sight in a tiny metal maze, problem is there are about a dozen proximity mines inside and your disruptor can only explode two before it has a lengthy recharge process. So you're standing in place for literally over ten minutes just to crawl a few feet. How is this fun in any way whatsoever? It's not.

So you've gotta work for that achievement number. More props to them.

How in the name of fuck do you complete the Catwoman claw-climb physical challenge? What building in Gotham gives you 8 leaps?

Forget it, just scurried up the ferris wheel.

Cant believe I finished the main story so quickly. Good game, but not 10/10. Maybe a 8.5/10. I probably finish a few more sidequests, dont know if I have in me to bother with the Riddler stuff.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BeautifulMemory said:
I hate the ones with the baton more, always fucks up my combo
Baton and shield guys fuck me up the most. I don't mind bladed enemies since the blade takedown is awesome.

The Antitype said:
Guys with the fucking knives are the worst, you have to just hold back and Y for like 10 seconds and wait. Annoying as shit.
Baton is sucky, but manageable until one of the dudes with armor picks the baton up. Those guys f*ck me over.

I'm starting to use the quick-fire ice grenades to immobilize baton & armor guys. Helps a lotto thin the field, so I can give them the special attention they deserve.

Saren is Bad said:
Upgrade counter to takedown when they swipe

Oh I have, and I've tried to get it to work, but it just won't. You're supposed to release Y between their slashes right?

I keep trying it and keep getting punished. Now I just evade and use the cape-stun, cause I'm tired of feeling like an idiot.

The Antitype said:
How in the name of fuck do you complete the Catwoman claw-climb physical challenge? What building in Gotham gives you 8 leaps?

Forget it, just scurried up the ferris wheel.

I think I did that one on the bank. Aim the whip at a gargoyle and you should have enough space to do 8 leaps.

I'm like 90% sure I got that one on the bank.

The Antitype said:
Oh I have, and I've tried to get it to work, but it just won't. You're supposed to release Y between their slashes right?

I keep trying it and keep getting punished. Now I just evade and use the cape-stun, cause I'm tired of feeling like an idiot.
You ate supposed to release the button in between the slashes. For the sake of combos, I don't use it

gdt

The Antitype said:

I've been practicing it in the challenges. Very satisfying once you get it down. I can do it no problem now.

I like how the swipes slow the action down.

Jirotrom

The Antitype said:

im having trouble with it as well, i guess i suck... btw folks ROBIN is effing awesome ***hopes for campaign DLC***

Ok, another Catwoman related question.

I'm trying to collect all the trophies of hers that I marked. How do I get back into the Steel Mill using her, since I can't use ice floats?

crimzonflame said:
Cant believe I finished the main story so quickly. Good game, but not 10/10. Maybe a 8.5/10. I probably finish a few more sidequests, dont know if I have in me to bother with the Riddler stuff.
This is my feeling as well. However, I'd do the sidequests most of them are very top notch(minus the riddler trophy stuff). I wish Rocksteady had focused a little more on the main story and a little less on sidequests though. For some reason a lot of my sidequests that were supposed to go on throughout the game didn't open up or continue until after I finished the game.

Luthos

Why does it seem I've run out of Riddler spies to interrogate? I've got 2 more trophies and 1 more riddle, all in the Industrial sector, yet I haven't seen a Riddler spy in forever. Do they sometimes only show up in specific areas? That hasn't seemed the case before now. I've had some in the far west areas reveal secrets in the far east areas.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sean said:

No, you did it wrong. Instead of thinking about it you brute-forced it. If you study the plan you can make it through perfectly fine by only disrupting two mines.

FStop7

Banned
Can't stop playing the combat challenges. It's combat Tetris. I just sit there and idly play through it while listening to podcasts or whatever.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Luthos said:
Why does it seem I've run out of Riddler spies to interrogate? I've got 2 more trophies and 1 more riddle, all in the Industrial sector, yet I haven't seen a Riddler spy in forever. Do they sometimes only show up in specific areas? That hasn't seemed the case before now. I've had some in the far west areas reveal secrets in the far east areas.
If there's no more spies, that means everything they can reveal to you has already been done. So, time to check your map, especially inside the Steel Mill.

That said, I'm not sure this riddle showed up on the map, but it also may have been for Amusement Mile not Industrial, can't remember:
Look out to the sea and the island with Arkham Asylum is there.

Quick

Banned
Cheska said:
Can I just say how much I fucking hate thugs armed with guns?

Quick fire Batarangs do the trick with armed thugs in big groups. Freeze blast if it's two of them on a rooftop. I also make use of explosive gel if it gets a bit much. And a quick R1/RB to bail out and regroup. I also do a run and slide and line launcher on occasion.

Freeze blast also helps a lot with common thugs, where one of them is a Riddler spy. Freeze the spy, beat up the thugs, and interrogate frozen spy.

The disruptor was handy
on the way to the movie theatre with all the snipers

vixlar

I hate armed enemies on a combat, being, knives, machine guns... whatever... but
when you get the breaking weapons move
oh god oh god oh god!!!!! It is so satisfying.

And about those riddler trophies. At first I was like "blah, this things are so distracting" but when you start to figure out the different solutions... WOW!!!!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
hitmon said:
Just finished main story. I don't buy DLC, but I am tempted for this title. Definite GOTY candidate for me. We'll see what Skyrim and Uncharted 3 can do, but so far nothing compares for me.
The Nightwing DLC is a must buy for me. Dick Grayson has always been my favorite character in the Bat Family.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I never got this
breaking weapons
move? Atleast I don't think so, it never shows up in my tutorial thing in place of B+AA for shield dudes on 360.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I never got this
breaking weapons
move? Atleast I don't think so, it never shows up in my tutorial thing in place of B+AA for shield dudes on 360.
You have to buy the upgrade when you level up

overcast

Square Triangle said:
Wtf, I didn't run into
Killer Croc when I left Wonder City, did I do something wrong?
WHAT??? Same here? Somebody?

Also, I found the
mystery watcher on the Ferris wheel earlier. where is the next place I can find him?

SpeedingUptoStop

Square Triangle said:
You have to buy the upgrade when you level up
Last I checked, there was still two upgrades that were still blocked for me,
though those might've been for the last Freeze thing I just picked up
, it's not unlocked by anything right?

I finished the story today, man what a great game. i usually don't like brawlers, but the combat in this game is so good. Loved everything about this game, I only wish it was longer. Well not really with BF3 this week, then UC3, and Skyrim after that.... So it was probably just the right length. Might need to get the DLC when it comes out.

vixlar

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Last I checked, there was still two upgrades that were still blocked for me,
though those might've been for the last Freeze thing I just picked up
, it's not unlocked by anything right?

You must unlock
bat swarm, then that move that knocks down every enemy on the gorund and then breaking weapon. You do it by pressing B+A when the combo counter turns yellow

Quick

Banned
overcast said:

Also, I found the
mystery watcher on the Ferris wheel earlier. where is the next place I can find him?

You'll see him throughout the city. Check the rooftops. One of his locations is the building across (north side) of the Ace Chemicals building.

And for an easy trophy/achievement,
throw a remote Batarang at him
. I missed this, but I'll probably go through NG+ anyway.

SpeedingUptoStop

vixlar said:
You must unlock
bat swarm, then that move that knocks down every enemy on the gorund and then breaking weapon. You do it by pressing B+A when the combo counter turns yellow
Hah, wow, I didn't unlock
Bat swarm
because it felt so unnecessary for the longest time, but this move totally would've helped me out way more.

Cheska said:
Oh wow, the
Joker and henchmen
fight is no joke. Having a hard time getting past that :(

For the hammer guy, do the beatdown on him and jump over him when he swings or when a henchman attacks -- do NOT counter them -- and he'll go down in less than 30sec. The titan is a little more difficult, but you should be in superfocus mode after taking down hammer-dude, so zip around knocking down any thugs with that before attempting the superstun or until you get hit

overcast said:

Also, I found the

2nd time I found him he was on a roof just East of the museum; then somewhere around to courthouse, and Ivy's hotel thing, I think. Just glide around with DickMode and look for him standing around.

Luthos

Cheska said:
Oh wow, the
Joker and henchmen
fight is no joke. Having a hard time getting past that :(
I died a couple times, but it's a fun fight, imo. Lots of thugs, and two unique big guys, with an infinite health Joker who keeps coming at you.

Cheska

Luthos said:
I died a couple times, but it's a fun fight, imo. Lots of thugs, and two unique big guys, with an infinite health Joker who keeps coming at you.

Yup, after three tries I got it :) Abused the heck out the ice grenades.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm having more fun trophy hunting than I did with the main story itself. The high-pressure
"Batman is dying"
story mode is incompatible with the "hey fart around this open world!" format.

Plus, any time I came across a tricky Riddler trophy I didn't know if I was just truly tricky, or of I didn't have the right gadget yet. Now, knowing that I have the gadgets to get all of them, I'm enjoying myself a lot more.

Only 176 / 440, too.

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
I'm having more fun trophy hunting than I did with the main story itself. The high-pressure
"Batman is dying"
story mode is incompatible with the "hey fart around this open world!" format.

Plus, any time I came across a tricky Riddler trophy I didn't know if I was just truly tricky, or of I didn't have the right gadget yet. Now, knowing that I have the gadgets to get all of them, I'm enjoying myself a lot more.

Only 176 / 440, too.
I'm hoping that's not a story spoiler considering I don't even have the game yet...

Blizzard said:
I'm hoping that's not a story spoiler considering I don't even have the game yet...

Referring to what's in the spoiler tag? Or the entire post? There is nothing spoiled in the post unless you did highlight the spoiler tag.

Top Bottom