• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The Broken Ska Record said:
Not only that but why did
Strange blow up the damn tower with Protocol 11. I just thought to myself on the way down, that's a stupid name.
Atleast there should've been clues to the other protocols, like some sort of pattern of escalation. He just called it protocol 10 because it was going down 10 hours after Batman got there? That's it? IS THAT EVEN IT?

Was that REALLY it? Was that the reason for the naming convention really?

Plus the fight with Strange was a bit of a downer, but how can a man trained in so many martial arts drag out a fight with a psychologist.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The Broken Ska Record said:
Was that REALLY it? Was that the reason for the naming convention really?

Plus the fight with Strange was a bit of a downer, but how can a man trained in so many martial arts drag out a fight with a psychologist.
It felt like it needed more oomph before you actually got Strange than just unlocking the door, you know? Like, that was it? Dude was hiding in a glass room with one passcode the whole time? It felt like it needed some sort of Freeze like hardness, where you had to use multiple things to get to him, or atleast a Riddler puzzle level of complexity.

Ah well. This game doesn't really do anything wrong by me as much as there are just things that could be done better, and I never really deduct from the experience for things like that.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
It felt like it needed more oomph before you actually got Strange than just unlocking the door, you know? Like, that was it? Dude was hiding in a glass room with one passcode the whole time? It felt like it needed some sort of Freeze like hardness, where you had to use multiple things to get to him, or atleast a Riddler puzzle level of complexity.

Ah well. This game doesn't really do anything wrong by me as much as there are just things that could be done better, and I never really deduct from the experience for things like that.
Oh yea. I agree. It felt a little anti-climactic finally going after the main villain so easily. And I wouldn't say it makes the whole thing any worse because of all of the plot holes, but they are fun to point out.

Now they did release a novel with the same name and the description on Amazon says it takes place between the two games. I wonder if the writers pulled a Gears of War on us and in order for us to fully understand everything- we gotta buy the book.

Gambit

Played the game for two hours yesterday. It has a fantastic atmosphere. The game is everything I imagined from the previews and developer comments and I am ... quite disappointed.

Not feeling the open world at all. I loved Arkham Asylum. The tight environment - and how it changed throughout the story (Ivy getting loose) - was one of its major strongpoints. Now I have an information overload, numerous mission objectives, and a very hard time getting my bearings in Gothham.

Having said that, I hope and expect that I will get accustomed to it with more play-time. I do like the atmosphere, after all.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Seriously stunned at how many Riddler trophies there are. I'm at 229 / 440 - barely over halfway - and that's after two evenings of nothing but trophy hunting / sidequest completing after beating the main plot.

I can't believe I still have 200 to go. It certainly doesn't seem like it... I think the bulk of them must be indoors, because Arkham City itself I've more-or-less scoured.

Although I will say, a good ~100 of these trophies could have been trimmed, with nothing of value lost. Keep ALL the ones that actually had a ?-pad or ?-mark puzzle. Keep ALL the riddles. Keep all the ones tucked into nooks and crannies. Just take out the ones that either repeat a puzzle, or don't have a puzzle. What's the point of having ~10 trophies out in the open, grabbed just by decrypting a lock or exploding a wall? Those ones don't even encourage exploration.

Give me 330 really tight trophies rather than 440 bloaty ones.

Edit: My favorite ones are the ones that LOOK simple, but aren't. Requiring gliding batman to crash through a wall, etc.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I only just found out... the PS3-version apparently supports custom soundtracks!

Tonight, I shall solve Riddles with Chris Rea's 'Driving Home For Christmas' in the background!

voltron

BeautifulMemory said:
No there is no tutorial. What might you need help with?

Its cool Im probably just being mentally lazy. Ill put more effort in and go for combos etc. Being a bit button mashy/lazy etc.

I kinda meant practise/challenge rooms rather than tutorials anyway. Theres enough random encounters around the city to serve that purpose though I guess.

sephi22

Didn't think it would happen to me, but it did.

"The code you entered is incorrect or no longer valid".
Great going, WB. Reading the official forums, looks like international users are screwed.

FUCK

neorej said:
Finished the main story this weekend. Pretty awesome game, but it felt less coherent than Asylum. Also
I felt like there were some hints towards Penguin supplying Titan to Joker in Asylum, hoping he would be Joker and take the stuff himself, and essentially killing him in the process. There never was a proper exlpanation for the huge amounts of Titan in City, was there.

Catwoman was HUGELY underplayed. Her bits could just as easily been done with cutscenes. Her storymissions acount for about 2 hours of gameplay, spread over 4 missions. And one of those missions has NOTHING in terms of Catwoman-specific gameplay.
For a character that's been touted in every single media-outing since june this year, that's just too little.

I also felt the main villains could've been played out more. It's a videogame, there's no 2,5 hour limit to the amount of time you have, flesh out the villains.
Why is Penguin in Arkham City and why did he take over the museum?
The villains felt very flat and 1-dimensional, except for
Freeze, well, up to the point where he decides to off Batman, and when that fails, decides to align himself with the Dark Knight again like nothing happened. What the hell?
Most villains fall into the "OMG I'm so evil!"-category, without any method to their madness. Batman has some of the best villains in terms of backstory, yet they do so little with it. Also:
Straaaaaaaaaaange
never manages to take center-stage, and he's the main baddy!

Also, the story didn't really mesh with the semi-open world that is Arkham City.
Batman: "I'm dying, I need the cure, minutes to live... ugh! Hey Trophies, AR Training, O M G RIDDLES!!" Also, the countdown by Strange made no sense at all because of this.

also, if someone has a spare Batman Beyond Skincode, please PM it to me.

Alot of this is answered after you collect the riddles. (specifically the penguin and titan stuff) There are two pages of connecting back story that you can read, as you get riddles it explains more back story. Also their is a comic book prequel that explains even more.

voltron

sephi22 said:
Didn't think it would happen to me, but it did.

"The code you entered is incorrect or no longer valid".
Great going, WB. Reading the official forums, looks like international users are screwed.

FUCK

For Cat Woman or the bat suits? Im in Australia and my CW code worked fine.

Sorry to hear yours fucked up man. Massive bummer. Where are you located? Have WB announced anything as far as making up for this shit fight and doing the right think by their customers?

Ahh the digital age. Great times.

The sooner we cut out the retailers the better.... digital downloads for every game with some sort of freebie action figure or something if you opt to buy from a traditional retailer. But we should have the option of downloading every new game straight up and avoiding all this pre-owned sales paranoia from the publishers.

Hari Seldon

So when into the church at the very beginning where the top blows up, there is a riddler trophy I didn't get. Can I get back up there eventually? The church seems locked off to me now.

EekTheKat

neorej said:
Also, the story didn't really mesh with the semi-open world that is Arkham City.
Batman: "I'm dying, I need the cure, minutes to live... ugh! Hey Trophies, AR Training, O M G RIDDLES!!" Also, the countdown by Strange made no sense at all because of this.

There would be a TON of complaints if it was the other way around with a
timer
, the way it's done in game is the better compromise.

Besides,
time moving alongside the main narrative has been a staple for games like this

neorej

ERMYGERD!
EekTheKat said:
There would be a TON of complaints if it was the other way around with a
timer
, the way it's done in game is the better compromise.

Besides,
time moving alongside the main narrative has been a staple for games like this

Two words: Dead Rising.

Hixx

Hari Seldon said:
So when into the church at the very beginning where the top blows up, there is a riddler trophy I didn't get. Can I get back up there eventually? The church seems locked off to me now.

Yeah, not too long after iirc.

Gambit said:
Played the game for two hours yesterday. It has a fantastic atmosphere. The game is everything I imagined from the previews and developer comments and I am ... quite disappointed.

Not feeling the open world at all. I loved Arkham Asylum. The tight environment - and how it changed throughout the story (Ivy getting loose) - was one of its major strongpoints. Now I have an information overload, numerous mission objectives, and a very hard time getting my bearings in Gothham.

Having said that, I hope and expect that I will get accustomed to it with more play-time. I do like the atmosphere, after all.

Took me a good time in for the game to finally click with me (and I'm not just talking a few hours here). I wasn't feeling it at first and much preferred the structure of Asylum (probably still do). But it's great when you get your bearings. There's just a little too much happening at the start that overwhelms you, even just stuff like the baddies always talking in the background. Plus I just don't think the game starts off well. Just chucks you in. I loved AA but I just felt so out of place at the start I wasn't sure what was happening or what I was supposed to do. I think if it started better, the game would have been even better.

Oh and probably way too many Riddler Trophies. All gets a bit tedious hunting them, which isn't all that fun. One of the things I really liked about AA was the Riddler stuff, in this game... not so much. Also don't think I'm enjoying the combat as much this time around either.

Still, those are my nitpicks. Nothing too game breaking, just lets it down a bit. At the mo (I'm about 50-60% through the story now), I still think AA stands out more to me, but we'll see by the end.

EekTheKat

neorej said:
Two words:.

And to this day people still debate the merits of
the timer in DR .IIRC it wasn't something that was universally praised across the board, and some were quite vocal against it.

Besides , AC actually
takes place quite a while after AA, many months later if memory serves. Joker being alive for the events of AC suggests that any such timer would probably last quite some time, with Batman being weakened over time.

We did get a weakened Batman, which did manifest itself in a few moments in the game for story purposes.

As fun as it would be to have Batman hospitalized tor a good chunk of the game, somehow I doubt that would have gone over very well with the fan base.

.GqueB.

Banned
neorej said:
I only just found out... the PS3-version apparently supports custom soundtracks!

Tonight, I shall solve Riddles with Chris Rea's 'Driving Home For Christmas' in the background!
WHAT?!?@?!~? You mean I couldve had the Dark knight soundtrack playing this whole time? Sweet baby jesus.

eshwaaz

Gambit said:

The game gives you access to the entire city and all of the content far too quickly, IMO. It would have been much more effective to have the side missions, activities, radio chatter, balloons, cameras, etc. introduced in a more controlled, gradual fashion. I'm sure Rocksteady was going for a "emerging from the caves for the first time in Oblivion" moment, but the problem is that you're immediately assaulted with so many possibilities at once with no direction or explanation. Look at all those question marks - should I start those? Constant radio chatter - am I supposed to scan those, as I was just taught that mechanic? The city looks huge - do I need to explore to discover content, or will the game dole it out as I progress on the critical path?

I still think Arkham City is a quality game, but the first few hours were quite off-putting to me and I continue to have highs and lows as I advance. Every review states with confidence that this game destroys the previous one, making it obsolete - I do not agree. I'm still not convinced that the larger world and greater amount of content makes this a better game than Asylum. It's superior in some ways, but arguably inferior in others.

sophora

Probably going to put some good time into the game tonight. Friend called me up last night and had to put it down to hang out, but tonight'll be a not so busy night so might just go through the rest of the game and finish up the main story missions. Side missions still stay after the main story has been completed right? If not I should probably get through those first ...so much to do in this freaking game
KuGsj.gif

Sinthetic

eshwaaz said:
The game gives you access to the entire city and all of the content far too quickly, IMO. It would have been much more effective to have the side missions, activities, radio chatter, balloons, cameras, etc. introduced in a more controlled, gradual fashion. I'm sure Rocksteady was going for a "emerging from the caves for the first time in Oblivion" moment, but the problem is that you're immediately assaulted with so many possibilities at once with no direction or explanation. Look at all those question marks - should I start those? Constant radio chatter - am I supposed to scan those, as I was just taught that mechanic? The city looks huge - do I need to explore to discover content, or will the game dole it out as I progress on the critical path?

I still think Arkham City is a quality game, but the first few hours were quite off-putting to me and I continue to have highs and lows as I advance. Every review states with confidence that this game destroys the previous one, making it obsolete - I do not agree. I'm still not convinced that the larger world and greater amount of content makes this a better game than Asylum. It's superior in some ways, but arguably inferior in others.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't feel the instant love that I did for AA with AC.

Gambit

Katana_Strikes said:
Took me a good time in for the game to finally click with me (and I'm not just talking a few hours here). I wasn't feeling it at first and much preferred the structure of Asylum (probably still do). But it's great when you get your bearings. There's just a little too much happening at the start that overwhelms you, even just stuff like the baddies always talking in the background. Plus I just don't think the game starts off well. Just chucks you in. I loved AA but I just felt so out of place at the start I wasn't sure what was happening or what I was supposed to do. I think if it started better, the game would have been even better.

Oh and probably way too many Riddler Trophies. All gets a bit tedious hunting them, which isn't all that fun. One of the things I really liked about AA was the Riddler stuff, in this game... not so much. Also don't think I'm enjoying the combat as much this time around either.

Still, those are my nitpicks. Nothing too game breaking, just lets it down a bit. At the mo (I'm about 50-60% through the story now), I still think AA stands out more to me, but we'll see by the end.

eshwaaz said:

Thanks to both of you. On the one hand, I am glad I am not alone with my (initial) complaints, on the other, you have given me hope that it does become more manageable and that I should just bear with it.

I really feel that the bolded part was missing from the rave reviews. Even though I am only at the beginning, I can already say that said beginning was done much better in Arkham Asylum. It taught you all you need to know gradually and didn't just drop you somewhere to figure out what`s going on.

Solo

Im REALLY curious as to where Rocksteady goes from here. They cannot just do another AA -> AC move of "the same stuff, just a LOT more of it!" or else the series will get stale. Batman 3 needs a shake-up.

Eusis

eshwaaz said:
Every review states with confidence that this game destroys the previous one, making it obsolete - I do not agree.
I haven't played the game yet (pre-ordered on Steam), but even if it were the greatest game ever made I'd agree with this sentiment based on the simple fact this is an open world game and the original is a semi Metroid-type game. Similar with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, while I may prefer one approach over the other the fact it's different on that fundamental level means both are worth playing.

... And the first part is kind of what I was fearing with the switch, somewhat. I admittedly would've preferred the Metroid format further developed, but it's hard to deny that there's an appeal about having Batman swooping over Gotham, even if it's a partitioned off part for Arkham inmates.

EekTheKat said:
Somewhat of a spoiler for people taking on Combat Challenges
a knife counter is a base 100 point bonus. Meaning a 50 hit combo can yield 5000 points with a well timed knife counter

Timing seems
the same for the "last" swing of a knife/sword combo - (hold)swing,(release),(hold)swing,(release),hold immediately). Once you get it down that move is literally money in the bank for these combat challenges
I can't seem to get the timing down on those, but I just got the counter so I'll be trying tonight.

I beat the fuck out of arkham asylum's challenge rooms so this feels weird to me to be so bad at these.

-Stranger-

Around 40% through the main story, and 20% overall.

Just defeated Ra Ghul, now on my way to see Mr. Freeze

The game has been consistently excellent, having alot of fun with it.

eshwaaz said:
I agree. The first thing I did when I got control of Batman was fly off in the opposite direction of the Courthouse to explore, thinking I'd be fine because I played Arkham Asylum so much, but I had to get back on the main path pretty quickly because there's so tutorial stuff early on that you really need to know. Perhaps that's my fault, because the game makes it pretty clear that you should go and rescue Catwoman post haste, but pretty much all of the major plot points end with you on an urgent quest to get to the next one and if you don't take a break at some point you'd never see any of the side stuff.

Arkham Asylum is one of my favourite games ever, and I think Arkham City is a fantastic sequel that improves on the first game in many ways but it definitely doesn't make the first game obsolete. I think that's a testament to Rocksteady having nailed it so well the first time around, most of the differences between the games are just different approaches to the same sorts of things. Arkham Asylum could afford to keep up that sense of urgency because it was such a linear experience, but the stakes are even higher in AC's story and they want you to take time out to go and track down The Riddler and pop balloons while you have so many different countdowns ticking.

I always loved that Arkham Asylum had such a sense of cohesion; everything you did in that game somehow fitted into the Batman mythos and the story and the gameplay just came together so perfectly. Perhaps it's just unavoidable when you go open-world, but Arkham City doesn't really feel the same way. I still think it's an absolutely amazing game, probably my GOTY so far and a fantastic sequel to a game I loved, but Arkham Asylum is still just so damn good that I couldn't say that Arkham City eclipses it.

matrix-cat said:
I agree. The first thing I did when I got control of Batman was fly off in the opposite direction of the Courthouse to explore, thinking I'd be fine because I played Arkham Asylum so much, but I had to get back on the main path pretty quickly because there's so tutorial stuff early on that you really need to know. Perhaps that's my fault, because the game makes it pretty clear that you should go and rescue Catwoman post haste, but pretty much all of the major plot points end with you on an urgent quest to get to the next one and if you don't take a break at some point you'd never see any of the side stuff.

Arkham Asylum is one of my favourite games ever, and I think Arkham City is a fantastic sequel that improves on the first game in many ways but it definitely doesn't make the first game obsolete. I think that's a testament to Rocksteady having nailed it so well the first time around, most of the differences between the games are just different approaches to the same sorts of things. Arkham Asylum could afford to keep up that sense of urgency because it was such a linear experience, but the stakes are even higher in AC's story and they want you to take time out to go and track down The Riddler and pop balloons while you have so many different countdowns ticking.

I always loved that Arkham Asylum had such a sense of cohesion; everything you did in that game somehow fitted into the Batman mythos and the story and the gameplay just came together so perfectly. Perhaps it's just unavoidable when you go open-world, but Arkham City doesn't really feel the same way. I still think it's an absolutely amazing game, probably my GOTY so far and a fantastic sequel to a game I loved, but Arkham Asylum is still just so damn good that I couldn't say that Arkham City eclipses it.

I'd say the biggest issue is that the story works against the freedom you have. There's no sense of urgency, but at the same time, it's fucking awesome because you're Batman, running around doing crazy shit in a rather large open world.

RoninChaos said:
I'd say the biggest issue is that the story works against the freedom you have. There's no sense of urgency, but at the same time, it's fucking awesome because you're Batman, running around doing crazy shit in a rather large open world.
I feel like maybe they raised the stakes too high too quickly. Pretty much from the point you first leave the Steel Mill you've got an invisible countdown running and when that happens it hardly feels right for Batman to be wasting his time flying through rings and scanning billboards. Arkham Asylum definitely had a smoother ramp up to the 'shit just got real' moment, whereas in Arkham City shit gets real early on and proceeds to get much realer, at the expense of the leisurely pace at which you might like to tackle the side missions. Of course you can always do that stuff after finishing the main story when Batman says "There's still work to be done", but that just doesn't feel right.

EekTheKat said:
Somewhat of a spoiler for people taking on Combat Challenges
a knife counter is a base 100 point bonus. Meaning a 50 hit combo can yield 5000 points with a well timed knife counter

Timing seems
the same for the "last" swing of a knife/sword combo - (hold)swing,(release),(hold)swing,(release),hold immediately). Once you get it down that move is literally money in the bank for these combat challenges
That's really cool. I dodge a lot in combat, to the point where I pretty much never accept a Blade Counter or try and Aerial Attack a shield guy because I'm just leaping around punching regular goons to build up to another special attack, so I'll have to try that more often.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Solo said:
Im REALLY curious as to where Rocksteady goes from here. They cannot just do another AA -> AC move of "the same stuff, just a LOT more of it!" or else the series will get stale. Batman 3 needs a shake-up.
Batman Gotham City --> stop Two-Face, Penguin and Poison Ivy while rescueing kids' balloons.

mr. puppy

Banned
is there a good guide or tutorial or anything for doing all of the fist fighting? i'm terrible at it, and basically just run around pushing triangle. I don't do any takedowns because then I will miss a counter, and instead get hit out of whatever takedown i'm doing :(.

sephi22

voltron said:
For Cat Woman or the bat suits? Im in Australia and my CW code worked fine.

Sorry to hear yours fucked up man. Massive bummer. Where are you located? Have WB announced anything as far as making up for this shit fight and doing the right think by their customers?

Ahh the digital age. Great times.

The sooner we cut out the retailers the better.... digital downloads for every game with some sort of freebie action figure or something if you opt to buy from a traditional retailer. But we should have the option of downloading every new game straight up and avoiding all this pre-owned sales paranoia from the publishers.
Catwoman.
It worked for all my friends and their copies, but not for me. Region 2 copy. I'm in Dubai. Doesn't soon like WB has this figured out. A lot of users on the forums saying their mails are getting ignored.

I'm trying to get one of my friends to share their account.

mr. puppy said:
is there a good guide or tutorial or anything for doing all of the fist fighting? i'm terrible at it, and basically just run around pushing triangle. I don't do any takedowns because then I will miss a counter, and instead get hit out of whatever takedown i'm doing :(.
This guy wrote a great one for Arkham Asylum, and the basics still apply for Arkham City. You just have to learn which moves you're invincible during. A Ground Takedown is very risky during a fight because it takes a long time and you can be hit out of it, but nothing can hit you during an Instant Takedown except one of the miniboss enemies or a thrown item (or a gun). Combat in these games is all about building up a combo and keeping it going, because the best moves are locked away at certain multiplier levels. Your Instant Takedown (press Triangle and Circle together) is only available at multiples of five, so a lot of the time you'll find yourself doing one Instant Takedown and then just hitting guys with your basic attack until you build up another five hits to unlock the Instant Takedown again.

As you play you'll get a feel for how the combat works, there's a rhythm to the way goons will run up to hit you. And, if all else fails, just dodge a lot. As long as you're dodging over people's heads (point the analogue stick at them and double tap X) you can do it as much as you like without breaking your combo, and it's immensely helpful for getting your bearings during a fight and deciding how best to proceed. And remember you have a timer of about one second in between attacks before your combo will time out, which feels longer than you'd think.

I'm only like 18% done with the game so far. Borrowed it from my brother..I'm trying to finish it before I go on vacation on Thursday. So far I LOVE the side missions. So intriguing.

matrix-cat said:
This guy wrote a great one for Arkham Asylum, and the basics still apply for Arkham City. You just have to learn which moves you're invincible during. A Ground Takedown is very risky during a fight because it takes a long time and you can be hit out of it, but nothing can hit you during an Instant Takedown except one of the miniboss enemies or a thrown item (or a gun). Combat in these games is all about building up a combo and keeping it going, because the best moves are locked away at certain multiplier levels. Your Instant Takedown (press Triangle and Circle together) is only available at multiples of five, so a lot of the time you'll find yourself doing one Instant Takedown and then just hitting guys with your basic attack until you build up another five hits to unlock the Instant Takedown again.

As you play you'll get a feel for how the combat works, there's a rhythm to the way goons will run up to hit you. And, if all else fails, just dodge a lot. As long as you're dodging over people's heads you can do it as much as you like without breaking your combo, and it's immensely helpful for getting your bearings during a fight and deciding how best to proceed.

What pisses me off the most when it comes to the Combat Challenges is I'll get to the 3rd or 4th rd without being hit and I'm stringing up combo's then out of fucking nowhere! a blow to the side of the head. Irritates me to no end and I get so mad I rage quit sometimes.

LiK

mr. puppy said:
Ground pound takedowns should only be done when the enemies are very far away. You should stick with special takedowns which are never interrupted. Save the ground pound for the final guy instead.

mr. puppy said:

Don't button mash Square. If you only push it when you mean to me, you can carry over into a counter as soon as the symbol pops up. Outside of the R2 + Triangle takedown, most moves seamlessly will let you move into a counter.

BankaiZaraki said:
What pisses me off the most when it comes to the Combat Challenges is I'll get to the 3rd or 4th rd without being hit and I'm stringing up combo's then out of fucking nowhere! a blow to the side of the head. Irritates me to no end and I get so mad I rage quit sometimes.
I have my good days and my bad ones, and I feel like I spend a lot of time countering moves that aren't there or being clobbered when I'm not looking. I'm still getting used to Double Counters after spending so much time fighting in Arkham Asylum. Even when I'm at my most frustrated I know that it's all my fault, but that only makes me more frustrated :p

The secret to everything is just dodging, though. Dodge dodge dodge. You can literally do it forever without breaking your combo, it's just a matter of having the patience. I find that enemies are a lot more aggressive in Arkham City, they'll get up from being knocked down faster and they'll chase you if you try and roll away for some distance, and fighting with so many guys so close to you is a recipe for disaster so dodging to a less dense part of the fight is essential. Being able to dodge infinitely means you only have to fight where you want to fight; they'll chase you but you just have to dodge some more.

OG Kush

QUICK help please!
just about to start this. loved arkham asylum. should I turn hints off? is it something that ruins the game?

augmental

Anybody want a NOS code? I just bought one of the sugar free and let me tell you...it really tastes like
shit

PM me if you want one

vixlar

matrix-cat said:
I have my good days and my bad ones, and I feel like I spend a lot of time countering moves that aren't there or being clobbered when I'm not looking. I'm still getting used to Double Counters after spending so much time fighting in Arkham Asylum. Even when I'm at my most frustrated I know that it's all my fault, but that only makes me more frustrated :p

The secret to everything is just dodging, though. Dodge dodge dodge. You can literally do it forever without breaking your combo, it's just a matter of having the patience. I find that enemies are a lot more aggressive in Arkham City, they'll get up from being knocked down faster and they'll chase you if you try and roll away for some distance, and fighting with so many guys so close to you is a recipe for disaster so dodging to a less dense part of the fight is essential. Being able to dodge infinitely means you only have to fight where you want to fight; they'll chase you but you just have to dodge some more.

Ha, the same trick as ever, at first I was trying to make my combos flashy, but when I realized, I was playing like in AA (xxx aa y aa y aa lll aa b+y y aa aa etc)

Ah, and it seems you can walk a little without breaking de combo. I've been trying to use that for sliding in the combo, but with no success (u_u)

67% complete. I have around 300 riddles. I can't find some of the riddles that require you to scan a poster or sign, even though it's on the map and I'm standing in that location. Sold my Iceberg Challenge Map for $15 on eBay. That paid off Robin/Nightwing DLC!

vixlar said:
Ah, and it seems you can walk a little without breaking de combo. I've been trying to use that for sliding in the combo, but with no success (u_u)
I'm aaaaaalmost positive I ran once during a combo, which was something that would automatically break it in AA. I try and start all my combos with a slide or a running punch.

AEREC

Solo said:

Nah...the combat system works great and is perfect for this type of game, they might as well just expand on what they already have for the third game and end it as a trilogy.

Though it will be hard to expand on AC.

.GqueB.

Banned
voltron said:
So does anyone else find that they suck at the combat? Im fucking dying like all the time!

Feel like a tool... are there tutorials in-game or anything?
I find that whenever I get hit its generally my fault. Not because of skill but because I find myself fumbling about the controller sometimes because it can get overwhelming. I often miss counters because I hit circle instead of triangle. Or while Im trying to counter, I'll be holding down L1 for some reason so I'll do a bat claw instead.

I do enjoy the variety in the combat but I also feel its a lot to remember sometimes. Im also playing on hard and I havent played on normal but Im ASSUMING the enemies attack a lot more here so you have to be a bit quicker. I often have to just run away for a sec and do some rolling just to get my bearings and remember the things I COULD be doing.

"oh yea, I have smoke pellets"
or
"oh yea, there are a lot of them so let me throw down some explosive gel or do a sliding takedown"

I wish the combat were a bit more intuitive but as I said, I DO enjoy the variety.

And to answer your question, yes you can turn on tutorials for each move. Hit square over the combat moves you are having trouble with.

Top Bottom