• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I feel so dumb, I was messing around challenge rooms earlier (Batman Beyond skin is cool) and I totally have not been utilizing this Instant Takedown move this whole time. I was wondering why I wasn't 3 starring rooms like I used to, so I started hitting button combos until the Instant Takedown move happened and I was like "awwww shiiiiit, I'm an idiot." After that, I got my 50x achievement no problem (still way faster and easier than it ever took me to get a 40x achievement for AA).

Yea, Catwoman is surprisingly ill suited for stealth. The cartoons and stuff make it seems so simple because she's fast and nimble, but in game, all she can do is cling to the ceiling.

Also, those jammer dudes only showed up, what, twice in game? Just about the same with the proximity mines, they were totally ineffective on me. Blowing up gargoyles forced me to do so much more in stealth rooms, none of this stuff they did to replace it has done anything nearly as effective (especially when a Batman perk is to be invisible to thermals when you're not moving, the hell).

Sean

Banned
I thought the Catwoman stuff was a nice change of pace, but she's probably the weakest aspect of the game if I had to pick.

It's much more fun/faster to navigate the city as Batman (especially after Grapnel Boost upgrade) and combat is also much better as Batman since he's got a huge arsenal of gadgets at his disposal.

I'd rather have playable Robin next game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really, the challenge rooms in this game are cake. You don't really need to takedown/weapon break ever although it's nice to do especially on those shield guys. Just keep a bigass freeflow focus combo going, seperate enemies and do the triple cape stun into a ground takedown multiple times. This is what I did on the final challenge room and I got this score in one shot.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I feel so dumb, I was messing around challenge rooms earlier (Batman Beyond skin is cool) and I totally have not been utilizing this Instant Takedown move this whole time. I was wondering why I wasn't 3 starring rooms like I used to, so I started hitting button combos until the Instant Takedown move happened and I was like "awwww shiiiiit, I'm an idiot." After that, I got my 50x achievement no problem (still way faster and easier than it ever took me to get a 40x achievement for AA).

Yea, Catwoman is surprisingly ill suited for stealth. The cartoons and stuff make it seems so simple because she's fast and nimble, but in game, all she can do is cling to the ceiling.

Also, those jammer dudes only showed up, what, twice in game? Just about the same with the proximity mines, they were totally ineffective on me. Blowing up gargoyles forced me to do so much more in stealth rooms, none of this stuff they did to replace it has done anything nearly as effective (especially when a Batman perk is to be invisible to thermals when you're not moving, the hell).

The jammer guy was actually only in ONCE iirc, lol. Seems like something they wanted for NG+ and the challenge rooms I guess.

Papercuts said:
Really, the challenge rooms in this game are cake. You don't really need to takedown/weapon break ever
Yeah well I suck at dodging the yellow knife attacks and they'd always fuck up my combo.

SpeedingUptoStop

Fuck, I never use Slide Attack either in combat.

god damnit there are too many moves to use

And fuck the knife attacks, I'm in the middle of fucking up this dude's world you cock fuck

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Fuck, I never use Slide Attack either in combat.

god damnit there are too many moves to use

And fuck the knife attacks, I'm in the middle of fucking up this dude's world you cock fuck

I always start the fight with a slide, lol.

Knife guys are assholes, I just jump over their head. Even when they're attacking they move too slow in freeflow focus to hit you.

SpeedingUptoStop

Papercuts said:
I always start the fight with a slide, lol.

Knife guys are assholes, I just jump over their head. Even when they're attacking they move too slow in freeflow focus to hit you.
I start off each fight with as many batarangs/grapple gun grabs/ electrocution stuns as possible before some dude comes up to me and I hit counter, then the shit is on

Korosenai

Buckethead said:
Yeah well I suck at dodging the yellow knife attacks and they'd always fuck up my combo.
Just evade over them. Double tap A.

Also, i'm rank number 8 in the world now in the Police Brutality (Extreme) Predator map. awww yeahhh.

Luthos

Did a predator map objective ever make you do something you never did in the game?

I didn't realize you could do double takedowns while hanging on an edge below them. Also, I didn't realize you could do vent takedowns.

Massa

Fuck, just got to a pretty awesome part of the game and... cut to Catwoman.

I'm deleting the Catwoman content so I can get on with the goddamn game being the goddamn Batman.

Edit: ok, that doesn't work.

SpeedingUptoStop

Luthos said:
Did a predator map objective ever make you do something you never did in the game?

I didn't realize you could do double takedowns while hanging on an edge below them. Also, I didn't realize you could do vent takedowns.
You never did either of those in game? You definitely should've done a vent takedown during atleast one sequence.

Vire

Massa said:
Fuck, just got to a pretty awesome part of the game and... cut to Catwoman.

I'm deleting the Catwoman content so I can get on with the goddamn game being the goddamn Batman.

Edit: ok, that doesn't work.
I thought the same thing if you are talking about what I think you are.

It was a total cock tease, I really wanted to see what happened next with Batman.

Catwoman's stuff is really short though, so you'll be back in no time.

bender

What time is it?
ZoddGutts said:
Meh at a Catwoman game she wasn't all that fun to play as. Rather get a Birds of Prey game. Huntress>>Black Canary >>>>>>Catwoman.

I think she'd be a lot more enjoyable if the automated her traversal. The timed button presses got a little annoying.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
IzzyF3 said:
So much of the backstory is revealed in files you get after you get the Riddler trophies. I love how well the game is able to fit all of these villains in the game, but I'd rather it not be so hard to understand why everybody is in Arkham City. Why Batman himself is here, etc. I found myself asking way too many questions during the course of the game. Almost made me wish there was a Metal Gear-like codec conversation system with Oracle, Alfred and Robin (cool to have Gordon, and Talia on the line too) to help flesh out the story and characters. Rocksteady clearly loves Metal Gear; they could've taken another page from that game.

Why? It would detract from the main narrative and look stupid to have long ass conversation about why everyone was put in there when Batman already knows all this. He has been paying attention to Arkham City closely since it was announced.

As an aside, Batman has a perfectly good reason to do the side missions...mainly people getting killed. Sure you can call it gamey but its gamey in the right way.

dankir

Goddamn this game, so fucking polished, so much lore history and things to do. What an amazing game. Just incredible.

QUADRUPLE A TITLE.

There I said it

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
LeonSKennedy90 said:
BITCH BITCH IMPLIED RAPE YOU BITCHBITCH

Paul Dini, everybody
I'd like to point out that the game had 3 credited writers. Something tells me Dini wasn't focused on the incidental dialogue by thugs while you run around Arkham City.

JEKKI

Arrrrgh!!!

stupid azz madre dicking roommates freakin bugging me right in the middle of a cutscene coz these guys don't kno how to take care of a freakin house!!!

I missed what's prolly was the best part :(

I wish Batman was my roommate...

anywayz I think I jus beat it so now I can read spoilers lol

got dang these credits takin forever!!

Imm0rt4l

How do I go about solving riddles? I attempted the one that reads "this question can only be answered from an unusual perspective...." I did as the a guide told me and
aligned the question mark with the dot
and I got nothing.

Imm0rt4l said:
How do I go about solving riddles? I attempted the one that reads "this question can only be answered from an unusual perspective...." I did as the a guide told me and
aligned the question mark with the dot
and I got nothing.

hold LB to take a picture

Don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers, but --

What difficulty are most people playing on?

Is hard a good choice for a first playthrough? I played the first one on normal and got pretty decent at the combat, so I'm wondering if I should bump it to hard from the start for this one. Hate when games are too easy on normal, and by the middle of the game there is no challenge.

CartridgeBlower said:
Don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers, but --

What difficulty are most people playing on?

Is hard a good choice for a first playthrough? I played the first one on normal and got pretty decent at the combat, so I'm wondering if I should bump it to hard from the start for this one. Hate when games are too easy on normal, and by the middle of the game there is no challenge.
Are you familiar with the combat system? How did you find AA's hard? Hard this time around its more tricky and involved more thinking and reflex. Definitely a step up. If you are completely new, start normal.

overcast

Definitely scared of those challenge rooms. I'm almost done with the Riddler side mission (About to go try save the 4th hostage). Figure I'll do challenge rooms first, then NG+

Luthos

overcast said:
Definitely scared of those challenge rooms. I'm almost done with the Riddler side mission (About to go try save the 4th hostage). Figure I'll do challenge rooms first, then NG+
Well, for what it's worth, Batman's predator missions are so much easier than Catwoman's, imo. So much more utility to deal with dudes. Only 1 or 2 challenges really made me go "how the hell am I gonna pull this one off?"

But combat challenges, I've never really had a problem with them. The regular ones I 3-medal them easily the first time. Haven't tried the extreme ones yet.

Sean

Banned
So the end of the Riddler stuff is such a disappointment. After the five Riddler hostage rooms which were really fun, I was expecting something great and challenging as the grand finale, but you simply
walk underneath Riddler (while he is completely unaware) and take him down/pull him from under floorboards.

After hours of collecting all that stupid bullshit, that was kind of anti-climactic.

overcast

Luthos said:
Well, for what it's worth, Batman's predator missions are so much easier than Catwoman's, imo. So much more utility to deal with dudes. Only 1 or 2 challenges really made me go "how the hell am I gonna pull this one off?"

But combat challenges, I've never really had a problem with them. The regular ones I 3-medal them easily the first time. Haven't tried the extreme ones yet.
Oh shit, I need to do the advanced challenges for 100%. I probably won't be able to 100% this game.

I am actually enjoying the Riddler challenges quite a bit. For the most part (some are lame).

Dave1988

I have a question: after you beat NG+ can you start another run throught the story mode or does it always load the last checkpoint like in the standard Campain?

Nemesis_

Sean said:
So the end of the Riddler stuff is such a disappointment. After the five Riddler hostage rooms which were really fun, I was expecting something great and challenging as the grand finale, but you simply
walk underneath Riddler (while he is completely unaware) and take him down/pull him from under floorboards.

After hours of collecting all that stupid bullshit, that was kind of anti-climactic.

I was so looking forward to this - I absolutely had to read this spoiler.

What a shitty shitty shitty outcome.

I'm sure it's already been discussed but, I'm guessing the
"Ashes of Gotham" that Azrael mentions, after completing the mysterious stranger missions, is going to be the DLC that Kevin Conroy mentioned previously before AC's release? Plus, the fact that the Azrael side mission stuff has been marked as "further investigation at the Batcave" as well. Either way, it sounds very interesting.

All the characters that we see for seemingly 5 minutes NEED to be more featured more prominently in the next game. Or, since they're going apparently going the episodic route, in those instead.I especially would like to see more Robin, Hush and Azrael.

Just finished the game for a second time on a new game plus, still really great. Though one problem I have with the story is with the code of Batman. For instance, in The Dark Knight, Batman is pushed hard, to breaking point, especially in the interrogation scene, in which he could easily have beat Joker to death. But he doesn't of course, and I can live with that.

But a recurrance I've noticed in this game, is the fact that Batmans code is really, really ridiculous. And I suppose this is due to the fact that a game story spans a longer amount of time than a film storyline does, so it's a lot more noticeable. The amount of times though, Batman has had his chance to finally just kill his most persistent foe, is absolutely absurd. And I know, I know! It's Batmans code not to kill, that is of course known to most Batman fans. But the Joker is the worst of them all. He deserves to die, because he's deeper in Batmans mind than anyone else. Like Joker said in The Dark Knight, they are destined to do what they do to eachother, forever.

Joker KILLS Talia, the woman that Batman loves. And he STILL was going to save him. I don't know if that makes him a better man or not, but imo, it just makes him too soft. I think it would've been a lot more impactful HAD he killed Joker, in such a way that would shock and suprise us all. Because I honestly thought he was going to kill Joker after what he had done, but no...Joker dies, then Batman carries him out of Arkham City? What about Talia? Why not carry her out and leave Jokers rotten ass inside. It just doesn't make real sense.

Anyways, that's my feelings on that partciular issue, but overall, the game is still stellar, and I cannot WAIT to play on the PC for a third time.

Solo

MrCookiepants said:
These Riddler challenges are starting to overstay their welcome. So much filler.

They are optional. Stop doing them if you aren't enjoying them.

Achievement/trophy whore!

The English Conquistador said:
"Ashes of Gotham" that Azrael mentions, after completing the mysterious stranger missions, is going to be the DLC that Kevin Conroy mentioned previously before AC's release? Plus, the fact that the Azrael side mission stuff has been marked as "further investigation at the Batcave" as well. Either way, it sounds very interesting.

All the characters that we see for seemingly 5 minutes NEED to be more featured more prominently in the next game. Or, since they're going apparently going the episodic route, in those instead.I especially would like to see more Robin, Hush and Azrael.

Just finished the game for a second time on a new game plus, still really great. Though one problem I have with the story is with the code of Batman. For instance, in The Dark Knight, Batman is pushed hard, to breaking point, especially in the interrogation scene, in which he could easily have beat Joker to death. But he doesn't of course, and I can live with that.

But a recurrance I've noticed in this game, is the fact that Batmans code is really, really ridiculous. And I suppose this is due to the fact that a game story spans a longer amount of time than a film storyline does, so it's a lot more noticeable. The amount of times though, Batman has had his chance to finally just kill his most persistent foe, is absolutely absurd. And I know, I know! It's Batmans code not to kill, that is of course known to most Batman fans. But the Joker is the worst of them all. He deserves to die, because he's deeper in Batmans mind than anyone else. Like Joker said in The Dark Knight, they are destined to do what they do to eachother, forever.

Joker KILLS Talia, the woman that Batman loves. And he STILL was going to save him. I don't know if that makes him a better man or not, but imo, it just makes him too soft. I think it would've been a lot more impactful HAD he killed Joker, in such a way that would shock and suprise us all. Because I honestly thought he was going to kill Joker after what he had done, but no...Joker dies, then Batman carries him out of Arkham City? What about Talia? Why not carry her out and leave Jokers rotten ass inside. It just doesn't make real sense.

Anyways, that's my feelings on that partciular issue, but overall, the game is still stellar, and I cannot WAIT to play on the PC for a third time.

Watch Under the Red Hood. It provides great insights into why Batman doesn't want to kill the Joker.

Made it to about 390/440 last night. Even if the 400 trophies are a little much, I still give major props to them for making all of those puzzles. I really enjoyed the ones where you only have a few seconds to glide off a roof and dive into a closing gate to snag the trophy.

The English Conquistador said:

I think a lot of the modern Batman mythos works with the idea that the Batman 'code' is not necessarily the most reasonable, or even most moral, set of limitations. Batman is stoic and uncomprimising to a fault, and even, in a sense, unthinking. Batman has established his moral code, all based on one decades-old incident; there is nothing else to consider or question. I think his philosophical imperfections in this regard are what make him such a great superhero.

Conciliator said:
I think a lot of the modern Batman mythos works with the idea that the Batman 'code' is not necessarily the most reasonable, or even most moral, set of limitations. Batman is stoic and uncomprimising to a fault, and even, in a sense, unthinking. Batman has established his moral code, all based on one decades-old incident; there is nothing else to consider or question. I think his philosophical imperfections in this regard are what make him such a great superhero.

Hm, well said.

Batman is only human after all. :)

Top Bottom