• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even if you miss the cameo, you can atleast fill in the bio by doing one of the riddles there.

cackhyena said:
So maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but that seems like waaaay more jumping over people than I'd ever want to do.

I do that constantly to basically manage the group and separate them, which is how I played AA too. It basically makes the shock stick and knife guys no threat at all, and you make sure to not accidentally punch an armored guy. I focus on getting a big combo, managing the group to get a triple bat cape swipe off, then mantle over someone to refocus the enemies, then do a far ground takedown to make sure it's safe because that gives the best normal multiplier. I always use the armored guys for a beatdown because they give you a HUGE combo boost, which is the main way I salvaged my score on the last round after messing up.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Bleh, best way to do the combat challenges is just do weapon breaks and combat takedowns on armored guys, then just build up a big combo in freeflow focus and near the end with like 3-4 guys left use combat takedown to get a big bonus. I don't like to try to get a variation bonus since thats only like 5-6k even if you use EVERYTHING in one combo. It's really easy to mess it up if you're worried about using gadgets.

If you ever have a titan or Abramovici its really easy to build up a combo, take them down before you take anyone else down.

Well, actually ride a titan twice and build up a big combo, then take everyone else down, and still riding the same combo the titan take down is x100 to your combo so try to do him very last.

All in all if you do the combat challenges right you can do poorly on the first two rounds and I mostly get 3 stars in the last two or sometimes even the very last round. It's much easier than the first game, you had to do some amazing shit in the first game for the shock ground challenge and I remember rumble in the jungle extreme taking me hours to do.

LiK

crispyben said:
So, are the Contract Terminated (
Deadshot's side quest
) and Serial Killer (
"Bruce Wayne"'s side quest
) trophies/achievements locked forever if I didn't complete them right when they unlocked? I did the first step of each, is there a way to trigger the next event even though I'm two or three story missions later?
Nope, I didnt do them until post-game. No sidequests are locked or missable.

bubnbob

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Is there a trophy for beating the game on Hard? Or just for beating it once, and then NG+?

You have to beat it on Normal or Hard to unlock NG+ (trophy/achievement for completing the story)

You have to beat it on NG+ for the achievement/trophy

You have to do 100% of sidequests in both normal and NG+ games to get Perfect Knight trophy/achievement

Sean

Banned
Grisby said:
So question or two about some riddler combat challenges. I've been trying to use the explosive gel in a combo but have only managed to do it twice so far. I swear I've done it more times then that. Any tips?

Second question, what exactly do you do to knock someone out with a reverse batarang?

Only got these and a couple more combat ones to do and I'ma at the full 440 baby.

Explosive gel just hold LT + X in combat. Batman does a little cartwheel or whatever and drops some gel on the ground, then to detonate it you just press that again.

For reverse batarang, just take out the Batarang (or it might be the remote batarang, i forget which) and you'll see a prompt in the bottom right corner to hold RB for reverse batarang. It takes a few seconds to lock-on to the enemy (making it hard to do in normal combat) so jump on a ledge or something and then throw it at the dude.

Papercuts

LAUGHTREY said:
Bleh, best way to do the combat challenges is just do weapon breaks and combat takedowns on armored guys, then just build up a big combo in freeflow focus and near the end with like 3-4 guys left use combat takedown to get a big bonus. I don't like to try to get a variation bonus since thats only like 5-6k even if you use EVERYTHING in one combo. It's really easy to mess it up if you're worried about using gadgets.

If you ever have a titan or Abramovici its really easy to build up a combo, take them down before you take anyone else down.

Well, actually ride a titan twice and build up a big combo, then take everyone else down, and still riding the same combo the titan take down is x100 to your combo so try to do him very last.

All in all if you do the combat challenges right you can do poorly on the first two rounds and I mostly get 3 stars in the last two or sometimes even the very last round. It's much easier than the first game, you had to do some amazing shit in the first game for the shock ground challenge and I remember rumble in the jungle extreme taking me hours to do.

They're DEFINITELY way easier now. I had to redo Shock and Awe Extreme a ton in AA, but I beat all the combat challenges here on my first shot except the first one that had a titan. If you just do normal takedowns and don't get hit a lot, the actual score you need is pretty low and easy to hit. Part of that is the gun racks in the maps never being used, it got demoted to a negative modifier for campaign challenges, which kinda sucks.

I liked playing for score though, and I usually get 3 stars on the second round just doing a bigass freeflow combo, with most of the people getting downed by a ground takedown. It takes longer but it's getting me near the top of the leaderboards, so it seems like the way to go for now. I don't do normal takedowns at all(especially on armored guys, they build your combo up), but I do weapon break sometimes, atleast on shields. Gadget variation doesn't mean much, I try to use a couple before I get to freeflow focus but once that starts you break it with a souped up gadget which isn't really worth it. I LOVE the batclaw slam though, I do that more than I probably should.

HELP!

Does anyone have experience with the "Damaged DLC" bug? Does deleting the DLC actually help, cause I read that even gamers who haven´t downloaded a thing for the game are being greeted with a message that tells them the DLC is damaged and then are being thrown back to the dashboard. :(

Dartastic

I just got into the
steel mill the second time. Headed back to joker after he took the cure.
Am I almost done? Also, I've only had one Catwoman mission at this point. Why?

Doomrider

Dartastic said:
Glad to hear this. Also, anyone re: my progress?
Even though the story percentage should be at something like 57%, in actual game terms, no, there's not much left. Also, you're approaching the next Catwoman mission.

abundant

crispyben said:
Thanks for the reply. So if I fool around Arkham City, I'll be able to move forward with them at random intervals?
For Contract Terminated
you'll randomly hear a loud gunshot, then a marker will appear on your map
and for the Serial Killer, you'll have to find the bodies yourself, no clues or markers are given.

Dartastic

Doomrider said:
Even though the story percentage should be at something like 57%, in actual game terms, no, there's not much left. Also, you're approaching the next Catwoman mission.
Awesome. Thanks. I'm glad there is more Catwoman stuff coming also; I really enjoy those bits. I think part of that is because she sorta has to work to get around, where Batman can just glide everywhere. I want more Catwoman.

Grisby

Sean said:
Explosive gel just hold LT + X in combat. Batman does a little cartwheel or whatever and drops some gel on the ground, then to detonate it you just press that again.

For reverse batarang, just take out the Batarang (or it might be the remote batarang, i forget which) and you'll see a prompt in the bottom right corner to hold RB for reverse batarang. It takes a few seconds to lock-on to the enemy (making it hard to do in normal combat) so jump on a ledge or something and then throw it at the dude.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight.

Doomrider

Dartastic said:
:/

Also, is there some way to buy some of those rad preorder skins? I want animated series Batman. -.-
You enjoy Catwoman's gameplay bits, so maybe you will! Not right now, but the skin pack will be on sale in December.

I'm getting wrapped up in the Batman universe, again. Got The Dark Knight Returns and Year One from Amazon yesterday. Liking TDKR so far. Can't wait for the Robin DLC. Not sure if I'll get Nightwing, though. I have about 360 riddles under my belt.

.GqueB.

Banned
VindictiveGnome said:
I'm getting wrapped up in the Batman universe, again. Got The Dark Knight Returns and Year One from Amazon yesterday. Liking TDKR so far. Can't wait for the Robin DLC. Not sure if I'll get Nightwing, though. I have about 360 riddles under my belt.
Yea seriously. Someone here mentioned Hush in passing yesterday and my reaction was "Hush? ...hush?... Im gonna go buy Hush."

Papercuts

Doomrider said:
You enjoy Catwoman's gameplay bits, so maybe you will! Not right now, but the skin pack will be on sale in December.

I enjoyed Catwoman's gameplay but despised the last part. Goes against most of the design in the game and is downright cheap.

Doomrider

Papercuts said:
I enjoyed Catwoman's gameplay but despised the last part. Goes against most of the design in the game and is downright cheap.
It didn't bother me much, to be honest. I just concentrated on
Two-Face, since I read here that the thugs would respawn
and it was over fast. I'm not trying to excuse the fact that it's bad, though.

On the whole, I didn't think much of Catwoman's gameplay bits.

Papercuts said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFdKlbqLUkE&feature=youtu.be

Here's how I do the combat challenge rooms. I got 152,000 in this one, but messed up pretty bad three or so times. I was trying to break a shield on the last round but batman kept breaking the wrong thing, which never happened to me before and got me off to a weird start.

I'M BATMAN

AND BATMAN HAS A SHITTY CAMERA

Oh....so you are one of those jump spammers. To each his own I guess.

Papercuts

Doomrider said:
It didn't bother me much, to be honest. I just concentrated on
Two-Face, since I read here that the thugs would respawn
and it was over fast. I'm not trying to excuse the fact that it's bad, though.

On the whole, I didn't think much of Catwoman's gameplay bits.

I didn't read up on anything, so I didn't realize what was happening until I already was playing for awhile and already took out 9 guards. Then I realized there was 6 more and that the game was seriously just refilling everything...then I died and it was all wasted. So yeah, it isn't THAT bad when you just go after Two-Face, but AWJKFDLASJFLKASJf.

keltickennedy said:
Oh....so you are one of those jump spammers. To each his own I guess.

I'm efficient, dammit!

LQX

Is there a bug with Cat Woman's apartment? I am at the end and they say go back to her place and I'm there directly on the map and cant find it for shit. I have searched for close to 1/2 hour. Terrible map.

RPGCrazied

Lol. I just had a funny glitch. On my new game plus mode, when you first go to the first catwoman episode, there was 2 perched on the building instead of one, very weird. Maybe I should reinstall the game.

Papercuts

LQX said:
Is there a bug with Cat Woman's apartment? I am at the end and they say go back to her place and I'm there directly on the map and cant find it for shit. I have searched for close to 1/2 hour. Terrible map.

You need to drop down a grate, IIRC.

pakkit

Banned
So how is the open world gameplay? Is this more of a single-player game occupying an open-world, ala Mafia II, L.A. Noire or Rage, or is the open-world gameplay just as refined and central to the experience as the single-player campaign ala Rockstar games or Just Cause 2?

Grisby

LQX said:
I dropped down into come place and nothing. I'm about to resort to YouTube.
You drop down into a large grated cage by the courthouse in the back. Approach the windows that have cats and a 'a' button enter prompt should appear. If it doesn't then you might be glitched.

Sinthetic

RPGCrazied said:
Lol. I just had a funny glitch. On my new game plus mode, when you first go to the first catwoman episode, there was 2 perched on the building instead of one, very weird. Maybe I should reinstall the game.

I had that too, but not on NG+

Doomrider

Papercuts said:
I didn't read up on anything, so I didn't realize what was happening until I already was playing for awhile and already took out 9 guards. Then I realized there was 6 more and that the game was seriously just refilling everything...then I died and it was all wasted. So yeah, it isn't THAT bad when you just go after Two-Face, but AWJKFDLASJFLKASJf.

I read about it because I had just beaten the game and I didn't even know there was gonna be another Catwoman mission after the credits =P
In the end, I'm glad I did because it saved me some time and, apparently, some frustration!

Buckethead said:
Rarhghghrhrrrghghrrrrrr
The gargoyles are your friends! And the Sonic Batarang too. And.. What else...

badcrumble said:
How do I get the trophy for getting Catwoman's loot back? I've finished all four of her chapters.

Go back into your first game, not new game plus and find a spot to switch to catwoman. Then use your vision to find the 16? red shaded guys that are carrying your loot.

Raxus

badcrumble said:
How do I get the trophy for getting Catwoman's loot back? I've finished all four of her chapters.
After the game ends you have to hunt two-face's men. If you go to thief vision you can see which thugs have your loot and all you have to do is to knock out the henchman.

Doomrider said:
The gargoyles are your friends! And the Sonic Batarang too. And.. What else...
I got down to 2 guys and made an idiot move and got shot in the head. Rgrhghghg.

It's mostly just making sure everyones aligned at the beginning to get the disruptor guy out of the way.

Papercuts

You haven't done Top of the World Extreme until you've done it with catwoman! Talk about having NOTHING useful to help.

Doomrider

Buckethead said:
I got down to 2 guys and made an idiot move and got shot in the head. Rgrhghghg.

It's mostly just making sure everyones aligned at the beginning to get the disruptor guy out of the way.
Hey, if you managed to get down to 2 guys, you're gonna beat it soon!

Papercuts said:
You haven't done Top of the World Extreme until you've done it with catwoman! Talk about having NOTHING useful to help.
Predator Extreme is gonna be such a nightmare with Catwoman...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
VindictiveGnome said:
Yea, I'm getting all the animated series to marathon as we speak. Also gonna finish Batman The Brave and The Bold where I left off in mid season 2. This game has me jonesing for moar Batman.

Luthos

Doomrider said:
Predator Extreme is gonna such a nightmare with Catwoman...
Yea I don't have a problem with Batman's predator extremes. I mean I died a couple times on some, but it was always fun to try again. Catwoman's is just plain frustrating. Her lack of gadgets sucks.

Doomrider

Luthos said:
Yea I don't have a problem with Batman's predator extremes. I mean I died a couple times on some, but it was always fun to try again. Catwoman's is just plain frustrating. Her lack of gadgets sucks.

Now that I think about it, there's only, what,
one
Predator sequence during Catwoman's campaign, right?

It's gonna take some getting used to, that's for sure. (I haven't even tried yet)

Papercuts

Doomrider said:
Now that I think about it, there's only, what,
one
Predator sequence during Catwoman's campaign, right?

It's gonna take some getting used to, that's for sure. (I haven't even tried yet)

Technically
two
, but yeah, only one was designed specifically for her and let you use the entire ceiling. When you do these, they're all in rooms mainly for batman, so there's not many spots to take good advantage of her ceiling climb. On top of this, she has no smoke to easily get out if you get caught, it's harder to grab a gargoyle from the floor because of her whip, caltrops/bolo don't really do much for her especially compared to Batman's disruptor(which is used both on guns and mines), freeze, sonic batarangs, exploding walls...

She's pretty damn bad at stealth, basically!

In the industrial district near the Joker's lair, there are two tall chimneys side-by-side with riddler pads on them (on the outer walls), both facing the same direction. How in the HELL do you hit both these pads?

Top Bottom