• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

The English Conquistador said:
Hm, well said.

Batman is only human after all. :)
THe core of Batman, is a character that doesn't want to see anybody else die. He feels like if he gives into that temptation to kill some one then he is no worse than the person who took his parents away from him. So despite villains like the joker of zsasz doing horrid shit, he won't kill them because he would be just like them. He's already walking a fine line with what he's doing anyway. If he went over that edge Batman would end up being the world's best trained and most dangerous serial killer.

This seems pretty rock solid to me and not ridiculous in the slightest, despite what he gets put through regularly. He has to believe that what he's doing is just, and if he crosses the line he's EXACTLY like them, but with different motivations.

frequency

Speaking of Batman and killing:

I don't know if this has been asked earlier in the thread (if it has, I missed it) but why is anyone afraid of Batman if he doesn't kill? I would be way more scared of that prisoner standing next to me who would kill than the guy who'd just punch me really hard.

I know it's a small thing but it bothers me whenever I'm doing the stealth room thingies and the prisoners are freaking out because I knocked some people out.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
If I kill a man, I'm no better than anyone. But if I cripple them for life and saddle their poor as shit family with decades of medical bills for a near comatose patient and orphan their kids to a life without a father capable of providing reasonable means to support a family, I am BATMAN

You guys do realize that a good chunk of what Batman does wouldn't be possible in real life, right? In the sense that he pops people in the mouth, kicks them in the head from 3 stories up, and that should kill some one, but people get up. Landing on some one's chest with your knees would kill them. He does that regularly in this game so I think you have to have some sort of suspension of belief when it comes to damage inflicted on these criminals.

Further, to criminals Batman is a scary mother fucker. He's basically a specter that runs around and beats the shit out of people. Holds them over ledges, drops them, etc. I don't think the criminals have meetings to figure out if any of them have died.

frequency

RoninChaos said:
You guys do realize that a good chunk of what Batman does wouldn't be possible in real life, right? In the sense that he pops people in the mouth, kicks them in the head from 3 stories up, and that should kill some one, but people get up. Landing on some one's chest with your knees would kill them. He does that regularly in this game so I think you have to have some sort of suspension of belief when it comes to damage inflicted on these criminals.

Further, to criminals Batman is a scary mother fucker. He's basically a specter that runs around and beats the shit out of people. Holds them over ledges, drops them, etc. I don't think the criminals have meetings to figure out if any of them have died.
But I assume criminals don't just stop criminal-ing after getting beat up... especially when the person they're working for would kill them. Plus in the game they just walk up to the guy and acknowledge they're just unconscious, not dead.
I think in one of the random conversations on the street, one of the prisoners talked about getting beat up by Batman in the Asylum.

SpeedingUptoStop

I think we all understand the general mythos of Batman is that he doesn't kill and usually has much more subtle means of disabling opponents, but it is fun to view that through the roided up vision Rocksteady has created of him where he incapacitates men by caving in their chests with his knees and then pulverizing their genitals.

LiK

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I think we all understand the general mythos of Batman is that he doesn't kill and usually has much more subtle means of disabling opponents, but it is fun to view that through the roided up vision Rocksteady has created of him where he incapacitates men by caving in their chests with his knees and then pulverizing their genitals.
Yea, it's almost like an on-going joke. He doesn't kill but Rocksteady will come up with the most brutal beatdowns that can kill anyone but not in Arkhamverse.

SpeedingUptoStop

Like some dude remarked earlier that the punching dudes in the junk thing was a glitch that Rocksteady needed to fix and I just laughed like "haha, whaaaaaaaaaaaa?" No way that's not intentional.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
SpeedingUptoStop said:

For someone who doesn't kill, he shows very little scrupulence when firing an electric charge at an armed enemy, which causes said enemy to fire randomly around him.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
If I kill a man, I'm no better than anyone. But if I cripple them for life and saddle their poor as shit family with decades of medical bills for a near comatose patient and orphan their kids to a life without a father capable of providing reasonable means to support a family, I am BATMAN

No one cares about their recovery, we just need to make sure they're off the streets!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Like some dude remarked earlier that the punching dudes in the junk thing was a glitch that Rocksteady needed to fix and I just laughed like "haha, whaaaaaaaaaaaa?" No way that's not intentional.

I don't think i've once down the flying ground take down where i didn't make a dude smell batmans butt and then punch him in the nads.

nel e nel

LAUGHTREY said:
I don't think i've once down the flying ground take down where i didn't make a dude smell batmans butt and then punch him in the nads.

Seriously, and how bad must that smell towards the end of the game after Batman has been crawling through sewers and sweating all night?

cackhyena

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Ahahaha, nice.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Can we call what these men have after 5 minutes with Batman, lives? Compound fractures, skull fractures, broken femurs, these men will never walk again.

wt6pef.png

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RoninChaos said:
THe core of Batman, is a character that doesn't want to see anybody else die. He feels like if he gives into that temptation to kill some one then he is no worse than the person who took his parents away from him. So despite villains like the joker of zsasz doing horrid shit, he won't kill them because he would be just like them. He's already walking a fine line with what he's doing anyway. If he went over that edge Batman would end up being the world's best trained and most dangerous serial killer.

This seems pretty rock solid to me and not ridiculous in the slightest, despite what he gets put through regularly. He has to believe that what he's doing is just, and if he crosses the line he's EXACTLY like them, but with different motivations.

Basically imagine Dexter with kung fu training and billions of dollars worth of equipment.

LAUGHTREY said:
Can we call what these men have after 5 minutes with Batman, lives? Compound fractures, skull fractures, broken femurs, these men will never walk again.

wt6pef.png

Man, thats All- Star Batman. Batman is a fucking lunatic in that comic.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lifejumper said:
Man, thats All- Star Batman. Batman is a fucking lunatic in that comic.

Hilarious in a so bad its good way, but man, Frank Millar is such a fucking hack these days.

Whoreswhoreswhoreswhoreswhores

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
HK-47 said:
Hilarious in a so bad its good way, but man, Frank Millar is such a fucking hack these days.

true.dat

he's trying waaaaay to hard to be edgy and different, it just makes it bad. Glad its Dini running the AC show instead of him.

Luthos said:
Well, for what it's worth, Batman's predator missions are so much easier than Catwoman's, imo. So much more utility to deal with dudes. Only 1 or 2 challenges really made me go "how the hell am I gonna pull this one off?"

But combat challenges, I've never really had a problem with them. The regular ones I 3-medal them easily the first time. Haven't tried the extreme ones yet.

The extreme challenges can get tricky with Catwoman and Robin since they don't have as many gadgets as Batman. Plus Batman's weapon disassemble move really comes in handy when fighting knife and taser enemies making it so other enemies can't pick the weapons back up.

.GqueB.

Banned
frequency said:
Speaking of Batman and killing:

I don't know if this has been asked earlier in the thread (if it has, I missed it) but why is anyone afraid of Batman if he doesn't kill? I would be way more scared of that prisoner standing next to me who would kill than the guy who'd just punch me really hard.

I know it's a small thing but it bothers me whenever I'm doing the stealth room thingies and the prisoners are freaking out because I knocked some people out.
He doesnt kill but he does hurt. I honestly fear injury more than death. I get more nervous standing on top of a ladder than most other instances involving heights since the thought of falling and breaking something is very unsettling to me. So imagine being attacked by a man who is willing to break every bone in your body or smash your face into a cement wall.

Shit hurts man.

CartridgeBlower said:
Don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers, but --

What difficulty are most people playing on?

Is hard a good choice for a first playthrough? I played the first one on normal and got pretty decent at the combat, so I'm wondering if I should bump it to hard from the start for this one. Hate when games are too easy on normal, and by the middle of the game there is no challenge.
I played on hard the last game and got pretty comfortable mostly because I found the counter signals to be a serious distraction. In this game, hard is REALLY hard at first because of all the limitations. Those being health, gadgets, move set etc so the signals were actually a godsend.

But as you get further in a learn more moves, the game gets a bit easy and the signals become and even bigger distraction because they pop up SO much. Also, I think my game is glitching because in every fight I have, there is a sentence up top trying to tell me how to do a move even though I learned it hours ago (critical strikes). Really fucking annoying. I dont even have tutorials on. So all in all, Im not really having a ton of fun with the combat. Proceed with caution.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A story with Batman going all Dexter on the whole of Gotham with the rest of the Bat-family going after him would make for an awesome Elseworlds mini-series. I'm sure they've played with it before, but probably not on on series type scale.

.GqueB.

Banned
Curufinwe said:
In the menu you can set which combat move you want the tutorial enabled for.
Theyre all disabled though. Unless Im missing something. I even turned it on just to see if the game was on opposite mode or something and it just started giving me button prompts instead.

Right now, it just displays the sentence up top and tells me if I was "too soon" or "too late". Any ideas? Getting rid of this would seriously make this game 15% more fun to play.

Skilletor

HK-47 said:

I was mad that it sucked so bad until he went on the goddam batman rant. Then I was like, "Oh. He's not serious." I read it again with that mindset and it's hilarious.

I'm finally getting the hang of using gadgets during combat, wow I'm racking up 40x combos like it's nothing and combat is 10 times more entertaining than it already was, I guess it's time to try combat challenges now.

Mr. Sam

WanderingWind said:
A story with Batman going all Dexter on the whole of Gotham with the rest of the Bat-family going after him would make for an awesome Elseworlds mini-series. I'm sure they've played with it before, but probably not on on series type scale.

Mark Millar's psychotic vision of Batman gone wrong:

jz8ndk.jpg

The "something none of us have ever seen before" was a booby trap that would destroy her womb if they attempted to abort the baby. PREP TIME GONE WRONG.

Question about Catwoman chapter "triggers"

So I beat the game and the credits are going, but I never played the final Catwoman chapter to confront Two-Face. Do I play it after the credits, or because I chose to save Batman at the decision point in the Tyger Vault I get locked out?

Mr. Sam

CF_Fighter said:
Question about Catwoman chapter "triggers"

So I beat the game and the credits are going, but I never played the final Catwoman chapter to confront Two-Face. Do I play it after the credits, or because I chose to save Batman at the decision point in the Tyger Vault I get locked out?

After the credits.

Salz01

Square Triangle said:
I read early on in this thread people were complaining about Catwoman's unzipped suit in the game. Ehm.

Sqqwsl.jpg

Lol I have this too. Right next to it is my special edition batman figure. Good times...

Grisby

So question or two about some riddler combat challenges. I've been trying to use the explosive gel in a combo but have only managed to do it twice so far. I swear I've done it more times then that. Any tips?

Second question, what exactly do you do to knock someone out with a reverse batarang?

Only got these and a couple more combat ones to do and I'ma at the full 440 baby.

cackhyena

Papercuts said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFdKlbqLUkE&feature=youtu.be

Here's how I do the combat challenge rooms. I got 152,000 in this one, but messed up pretty bad three or so times. I was trying to break a shield on the last round but batman kept breaking the wrong thing, which never happened to me before and got me off to a weird start.

I'M BATMAN

AND BATMAN HAS A SHITTY CAMERA
So maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but that seems like waaaay more jumping over people than I'd ever want to do.

Doomrider

cackhyena said:
So maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but that seems like waaaay more jumping over people than I'd ever want to do.
It's to avoid breaking the combo counter, but yeah, I think it kinda breaks the flow of combat to always be vaulting over people. I just wouldn't have the patience to play like that =P

crispyben

So, are the Contract Terminated (
Deadshot's side quest
) and Serial Killer (
"Bruce Wayne"'s side quest
) trophies/achievements locked forever if I didn't complete them right when they unlocked? I did the first step of each, is there a way to trigger the next event even though I'm two or three story missions later?

LiK

The Antitype said:
Thank you sir.

Gonna be weird playing as Nightwing before Robin, but whatever. :D
Yea, I guess they wanna make the BB bonus seem better that way. Must be a timed deal.

Top Bottom