• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Antitype said:
In the industrial district near the Joker's lair, there are two tall chimneys side-by-side with riddler pads on them (on the outer walls), both facing the same direction. How in the HELL do you hit both these pads?

Hit one, jump off, glide forward and grapnel boost away, swing around and glide into the other.

The Antitype said:
In the industrial district near the Joker's lair, there are two tall chimneys side-by-side with riddler pads on them (on the outer walls), both facing the same direction. How in the HELL do you hit both these pads?
There're actually three pads. The third is on the other chimney, facing the opposite direction. Papercuts' advice still applies, but make sure you hit all three.

Solo

Just beat the game. 18 hours, 100% story, 45% overall. Loved the ending, even though its obviously going to get retconned in the next game.

Buckethead said:
Fuck Top of the World Extreme.

Fuck it.

Yeah, fucking shit took me 3hrs to ???. The worst was when I got down to two guys (armored and non) so I could knock the armor guy into the other, I hit him with the REC and he goes flying passed the other guy and onto some stuff by the wall and just floats in the air. I had to restart.

And then I find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3NS8595KmY

Soooo much easier than how I did it.

Minamu

I need help with the advanced flying virtual missions. Particularly 3 and 4 I believe. Doing a 180 spin while bombing is really hard and I keep getting stuck in fences and stuff :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Minamu said:
I need help with the advanced flying virtual missions. Particularly 3 and 4 I believe. Doing a 180 spin while bombing is really hard and I keep getting stuck in fences and stuff :(

I cheesed the 180 spin divebomb one, when you start just fly forward, grapnel boost a ledge, spin around without touching anything, and then you can divebomb down without moving directions. You have to avoid a lightpost when you pull up, but it's pretty easy this way.

The other ones are annoying but there's nothing to really say, batman likes his fences.

Grisby

Solo said:
Just beat the game. 18 hours, 100% story, 45% overall. Loved the ending, even though its obviously going to get retconned in the next game.
I hope they stick to it. Was a good ending and would be completely ruined by a retcon.

I'm having trouble with the Watcher in the Wings sidequest. I ended up going to YouTube to find where they were, but when I go to where they show, he isn't there. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Grisby said:
I hope they stick to it. Was a good ending and would be completely ruined by a retcon.
I think they did that because
Hamill said that it's incredibly hard to do the Joker voice for him now and he can't come back to do another game so they killed him off. I also think that's why Joker was sick for most of the game. It kept down on the amount of dialogue he had and allowed the voice to be a bit different.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
vferrel said:
I'm having trouble with the Watcher in the Wings sidequest. I ended up going to YouTube to find where they were, but when I go to where they show, he isn't there. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
He appears at certain times during the game, I think. It seemed to be he was in the area of my most recent story-driven mission.

Also, if anyone sees the guy in red you have to throw the remote batarang at him before you walk up to him. I have a friend who missed an achievement and now has to go through and do it on NG+, probably wouldn't have got it on NG+ if I hadn't told em to do it either so be careful.

Grisby

RoboPlato said:
I think they did that because
Hamill said that it's incredibly hard to do the Joker voice for him now and he can't come back to do another game so they killed him off. I also think that's why Joker was sick for most of the game. It kept down on the amount of dialogue he had and allowed the voice to be a bit different.
Yeah, I read that too. Good way to handle it really.

Papercuts said:
Hit one, jump off, glide forward and grapnel boost away, swing around and glide into the other.

Argh, I've been trying this, but I can't keep enough height bouncing from one to the other. I'll keep at it though.

Minamu

Papercuts said:
I cheesed the 180 spin divebomb one, when you start just fly forward, grapnel boost a ledge, spin around without touching anything, and then you can divebomb down without moving directions. You have to avoid a lightpost when you pull up, but it's pretty easy this way.

The other ones are annoying but there's nothing to really say, batman likes his fences.
Alright, I'll try that :) I'm having a bit of trouble getting the hang of the booster though. Been doing random things for 5 hours instead xD

Scapegoat

The Antitype said:
Argh, I've been trying this, but I can't keep enough height bouncing from one to the other. I'll keep at it though.
After pressing each one you want to grapnel boost off one of the chimneys to regain altitude.

Minamu said:
How far through the single player are you? I remember trying them and constantly failing however this was very early on (ie immediately after they unlocked). However once I tried them at the end of the game I found I could complete them with 2-3 tries at most. Try flying around and diving to get a feel for how long it takes in terms of time and space for you to level out of a dive.

Specifically for the challenge requiring you to dive and do a 180 I found that:
1) Obviously turn while you are diving (I always turned to my right)
2) You will have to release the dive button before you actually fully spin and would be facing the fence/archway you are flying through. Basically you will release the dive before you would be straight facing the ring and you will straighten up that little bit just as you glide through.

Grisby

Square Triangle said:
I read early on in this thread people were complaining about Catwoman's unzipped suit in the game. Ehm.

Sqqwsl.jpg
Is that statue by that famous Kobayashi guy? I'm not a statue guy but my friend would love that.

Ok, another riddler trophy question.

At the police station, just outside, there's a little hut with bars and a trophy inside.

Hit detection vision, there is very clearly a hackable terminal inside. However, I can't maneuver Batman into a position where the crypto-whatever actually engages it. Batman just keeps checking the radio.

Halp?

LAUGHTREY said:
He appears at certain times during the game, I think. It seemed to be he was in the area of my most recent story-driven mission.

Also, if anyone sees the guy in red you have to throw the remote batarang at him before you walk up to him. I have a friend who missed an achievement and now has to go through and do it on NG+, probably wouldn't have got it on NG+ if I hadn't told em to do it either so be careful.
Thanks. I ended up finishing up the Identity Theft quest, and he appeared. Got both of those done. Only side quest left is The Riddler one, and I have no interest in finishing that. So I think I'm done with the game for a while, with the rush of big games in effect.

Gotta say, easily one of the best games of the year. This along with Portal 2 are right now tied for my favorite of 2011, and the only games that may come close to those two are Skyrim and Skyward Sword.

The Antitype said:

At the police station, just outside, there's a little hut with bars and a trophy inside.

Hit detection vision, there is very clearly a hackable terminal inside. However, I can't maneuver Batman into a position where the crypto-whatever actually engages it. Batman just keeps checking the radio.

Halp?
I haven't got to that one but have you upgraded the cryptographers range. I believe there is an upgrade that allows for you to upgrade how far away you hack into things. Again I haven't got it so I don't know if it has that big of a range.

Scapegoat

The Antitype said:

Halp?
Is it a hackable terminal (has a padlock icon on the screen) or a fusebox?

Grisby

The Antitype said:

Halp?
Need range upgrade. Hop over to building right behind the shed to see/hack the terminal.

Scapegoat said:
Is it a hackable terminal (has a padlock icon on the screen) or a fusebox?

Hackable terminmal. It's facing the opposite direction of the gate, so I can only see the back of it, or see it from a sharp angle from behind.

I have max upgrades. So it's not range.

Grisby

The Antitype said:
Hackable terminal. It's facing the opposite direction of the gate, so I can only see the back of it, or see it from a sharp angle from behind.

I have max upgrades. So it's not range.
You have to get behind the shed. Stand on the building behind it.

overcast

pakkit said:
So how is the open world gameplay? Is this more of a single-player game occupying an open-world, ala Mafia II, L.A. Noire or Rage, or is the open-world gameplay just as refined and central to the experience as the single-player campaign ala Rockstar games or Just Cause 2?
The first one. The design is great and it's atmospheric as hell though.

Finished the 4th riddler challenge earlier. Pretty damn close to done with those trophies. I enjoy getting them quite a bit.

steadfast

leng jai said:
How do you melt ice again? I'm trying to finish the Mr Freeze sidemission but theres ice blocking the forensic lab entrance.

You don't.

You have to swing around from the back of the GCPD and claw up from the water side.

Duress

edit whoops

Is there any way to get more Riddler guys? I still need a couple more statues and I have a riddle left. I have no clue where to go.

lancerotomy

Neo Member
i've got about 330 of the riddler trophies. i thought 400 was way too many before undertaking it, but once you get you them all over your map you can knock them out pretty quickly. so glad they carry on between normal/new game plus.

it's so much more fulfilling than i imagined it to be at first. and only had to look one up so far.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Solo said:

I'm prepped to bitch when it does.
I'd rather Joker not overshadow everyone for a third time.

Luthos

Duress said:
edit whoops

Is there any way to get more Riddler guys? I still need a couple more statues and I have a riddle left. I have no clue where to go.
Are you talking about Industrial district? If so, I had the exact same problem. It turned out that my last ones were in a building only accessible at the end of a side mission.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Skilletor said:
I was mad that it sucked so bad until he went on the goddam batman rant. Then I was like, "Oh. He's not serious." I read it again with that mindset and it's hilarious.

I've read recent Millar. Its all just as bad. He definitely wasnt doing a parody, thats just retcon bullshit

I just finished my fight where I took that old man's blood. So I'm supposed to go back to the police station with it. Would it be too much to ask to give me a fucking clue where the fuck I'm supposed to go to get out of this underground cavern? I've spent the past 20 minutes completely wasting my time because they decided to not allow me waypoint guidance at the moment. WTF?

Now I seem to be stuck in these sewers with no way out. I literally think I may have broke the game or something.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BruiserBear said:
I just finished my fight where I took that old man's blood. So I'm supposed to go back to the police station with it. Would it be too much to ask to give me a fucking clue where the fuck I'm supposed to go to get out of this underground cavern? I've spent the past 20 minutes completely wasting my time because they decided to not allow me waypoint guidance at the moment. WTF?

Now I seem to be stuck in these sewers with no way out. I literally think I may have broke the game or something.

Its called using the map. The sewers and wonder city are pretty much linear. You'd have an easier time getting lost in a CoD game.

HK-47 said:
Its called using the map. The sewers and wonder city are pretty much linear. You'd have an easier time getting lost in a CoD game.
Right. Yes, I'm using the map plenty thanks. I'm at an intersection in the sewers where I need to go left or right, but it's nearly impossible to make the left or right turns over the water. I can't shoot the line gun at a 90 degree angle, and I can glide far enough.

hamchan

BruiserBear said:
Right. Yes, I'm using the map plenty thanks. I'm at an intersection in the sewers where I need to go left or right, but it's nearly impossible to make the left or right turns over the water. I can't shoot the line gun at a 90 degree angle, and I can glide far enough.

Yes you can.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
BruiserBear said:
Thanks for that. Never knew that.

Was that ability in Arkham? I finished that game.
No, though I'm quite certain that AC prompts you on how to do it in the very first situation that calls for it.

hayejin

How do you do the riddler puzzle in the steel mill.
It's the one with eletrical switch inside a cage and next to it is a steel furnace door you can rip out with bat claw.

I'm assuming you're supposed to throw the remote batarang but when I do and hit the electrical switch, nothing happens. How do I overload the switch with electricity since remote electric thing won't go through cage doors?

eshwaaz

HK-47 said:
I'm prepped to bitch when it does.
I'd rather Joker not overshadow everyone for a third time.
It's very simple to surmise what you're referring to, turning it into a pretty major spoiler.

Nemesis_

hayejin said:
How do you do the riddler puzzle in the steel mill.
It's the one with eletrical switch inside a cage and next to it is a steel furnace door you can rip out with bat claw.

I'm assuming you're supposed to throw the remote batarang but when I do and hit the electrical switch, nothing happens. How do I overload the switch with electricity since remote electric thing won't go through cage doors?

I don't like to ruin things, but think of what the Batarang is made out of, and what it could possibly carry, and what you're trying to "turn on" with it

Duress

Luthos said:
Are you talking about Industrial district? If so, I had the exact same problem. It turned out that my last ones were in a building only accessible at the end of a side mission.

I believe it's in Park Row. Something about Cash.

Top Bottom