• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Karish said:
I'm at the part where I have to scan all the
Helicopters
. How far into the main storyline am I?
Nearly done. Two more set pieces left.

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Don't those two combos build off x8 multipliers?

If that's not it, you may not be hitting anyone with the A+B combo.

That's all I can think of.
I finally figured it out, you have to get it to x12 or when it turns red for BOTH. Man that drove me nuts. I've now done everything in story mode so now it's on to new game plus.

MMaRsu

Karish said:
I was thinking the same thing. Although, I rented from Gamefly, an thus, have not played the Catwoman content...

I have, and it doesnt matter much. Wow, is the story really that short? Seems MUCH shorter than AA.

cpp_is_king said:
What's the best place to complete the combat challenge where you have to destroy an exploding object before its thrown? I've beaten the game and in free roam mode, and there just aren't a lot of enemies. I found a fire extinguisher outside the museum but there's only 1 enemy there and he has a shield, so he won't pick up the extiguisher.
I think I did mine right outside the courthouse? Check right outside the major buildings like the courthouse and church. One of them should have an extinguisher. That's weird that there's only one guy outside of the museum though. Are there guys in the area at all? You could always make them chase you over to where the extinguisher is.

HK-47 said:
Thats cause the enemies respawn so you cant just silent takedown everyone and beat up Two Face like every other predator section.
This isn't true at all. I used silent take down on every single guy in the room, even the one standing right next to Two Face on the bridge. He turned on me right as I was finishing that last one off. I quickly leapt to him and beat the crap out of him. He only summons more guards if you give him space but if you just combo him repeatedly, he can't call for help. Just stand next to him until he stands up and attack immediately.

HK-47 said:
Not to mention, they need to be solvable for a design standpoint. Riddler is a hard character to get completely right

I think they could have created some Riddles or scenarios to require nothing more than brain-power or problem solving and not gadgetry. But whatever, they were fun.

Collecting the trophies was more annoying than anything IMO though.

Zeliard

The Xtortionist said:
spam dodge and pick your shots

Is
Joker pretty much the only guy that needs to be attacked? I wasn't sure whether or not they'd do something like some games do where if you beat enough on the main guy he sort of removes himself from the fight till you finish off everyone else.

For those that want extra incentive for getting the trophies, when you complete a riddler row for a section, you unlock tapes with interviews between the super villains and Strange. These tapes really flesh out the story and explain a lot of the background plot and how things first transpired before the game began or even a few things during. Between these tapes and the arkham story, it really adds so much to the game's story. Mad Hatter tapes really shore up Strange's accomplishments and the Joker and Riddler tapes are just plain fun.

Zeliard said:
Joker + revolving door of goons is quite the pickle on Hard.

This battle is a piece of cake, just use the Titan. I attacked the Titan immediately and used him to wipe out as many thugs as possible and tried to focus a lot of hits on the one armed guy. Don't do the charge or any of that crap, just walk him into the mob to make him swipe them. You'll kill most of the thugs and deplete most of the one armed guys' health by the time the titan dies. I think I did like one combo to finish off the one armed guy and then it's simple mop up work for the last few thugs and Joker. Save Joker for last.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just reached the part where
Talia went with Joker and I'm now playing as Catwoman. I actually thought that fight with the Joker and his thugs was the end game. Apparently not...

Lakitu said:
Just reached the part where
Talia went with Joker and I'm now playing as Catwoman. I actually thought that fight with the Joker and his thugs was the end game. Apparently not...
lol people are complaining how short this game is and you thought it would end there? The game would be REALLY short. You haven't even encountered Strange yet so that wouldn't make sense to end now, no?

Zeliard

Squall ASF said:
This battle is a piece of cake, just use the Titan. I attacked the Titan immediately and used him to wipe out as many thugs as possible and tried to focus a lot of hits on the one armed guy. Don't do the charge or any of that crap, just walk him into the mob to make him swipe them. You'll kill most of the thugs and deplete most of the one armed guys' health by the time the titan dies. I think I did like one combo to finish off the one armed guy and then it's simple mop up work for the last few thugs and Joker. Save Joker for last.

Yeah forgot about the Titan. I tried the fight out last night and ended up dying, and I'd been managing every fight to that point pretty handily. Didn't get to make use of the Titan before I got killed. A re-attempt should go smoother.

I love how hectic the combat can get when you have to take into account the various enemy types. People who say there are no tactics involved are off-base.

I haven't used the reverse batarange at all through the entire game, so I'm a little unsure about how to cross off the 'knock down an enemy with the reverse batarang' challenge.

In the Waynetec menu, it says hold Left trigger, hold right bumper. Ok, so I do that, I get a snazzy follow-cam behind the batarang, it nails a dude, he falls over... no unlock message.

Luthos

The Antitype said:
I haven't used the reverse batarange at all through the entire game, so I'm a little unsure about how to cross off the 'knock down an enemy with the reverse batarang' challenge.

In the Waynetec menu, it says hold Left trigger, hold right bumper. Ok, so I do that, I get a snazzy follow-cam behind the batarang, it nails a dude, he falls over... no unlock message.
Sounds like you're doing it with a normal baterang. Where using the other button just follows it.

You have to use the remote baterang.

The Antitype said:

get behind an enemy unspotted

Hold Left trigger
Hold right bumper
Press right trigger

You should see not see a follow-cam, you should see just a regular release. If you see a follow cam, it's not what a reverse batarang

brobban

Quick question.
Playing the game with some friends, and we want to finish the campaing during the weekend.
But we don't want to stress too much.

We just finished the area with
Ra's al Ghul.

Approximately how far through the campaign are we?

stephen08

The Antitype said:

You do that with the Remote Control Batarang, not the regular one. Pull the RC one out with LT, acquire the target, hold RB, wait for the reticule to lock and then release RB.

brobban

BeautifulMemory said:
You are almost there, although length depends on your skills as there will be a couple tougher fights.

Really, already!?
Guess we need to slow down and do some more side missions.

overcast

Squall ASF said:
For those that want extra incentive for getting the trophies, when you complete a riddler row for a section, you unlock tapes with interviews between the super villains and Strange. These tapes really flesh out the story and explain a lot of the background plot and how things first transpired before the game began or even a few things during. Between these tapes and the arkham story, it really adds so much to the game's story. Mad Hatter tapes really shore up Strange's accomplishments and the Joker and Riddler tapes are just plain fun.
Yup. I highly recommend attempting the Riddler challenges. They aren't TOO difficult, and they are addicting. The tapes and the stories you get from collecting trophies add so much to the story.

Yeah, the main story is fairly brief. I didn't get to time it exactly, but it may be a bit shorter than AA.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that was the pay-off for the Riddled stuff? I mean, I realise they probably think most won't see it, but come on, guys.

I got everything as an experiment (maybe Rocksteady had a reason for putting so many in), but man, in the end, a complete waste of time. There's no two ways about it, next time should be fewer, more substantial riddles.

Maiar_m

So freaking annoying. I was 4 hours into the game when I had to shut my 360 in a hurry. I power it back on a few hours later : my save is gone, same player starts again. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

kr2t0s

akilshohen said:
Freeze
battle is pissing me off, gonna go back to it in a bit....yeah I know it should be easy.

Seemed like after you don't do damage in X amount of -
the game automatically scans his suit for weakness and presents you a grid of of what can be done. On my play through i didn't realize you could do any of the 9 options or however many there are. Once I realized that - he became not only easier but also a lot more fun

If you haven't yet - make sure to use the disruptor, that one really is free damage on him.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Maiar_m said:
So freaking annoying. I was 4 hours into the game when I had to shut my 360 in a hurry. I power it back on a few hours later : my save is gone, same player starts again. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

That's just not possible. The game has auto-save. At most you should have lost 15 minutes.

Maiar_m

BY2K said:
That's just not possible. The game has auto-save. At most you should have lost 15 minutes.

Nope, I rebooted the Xbox twice, loaded the game, it just doesn't offer me anything but "start new game".

eshwaaz

Secret_Riddle said:
Good review, well reasoned.

Still, maybe it's just the fan talking, but I don't know how anyone can prefer Asylum to City..unless you inherently prefer that kind of Resident Evil/ Metroidvania experience.
In many ways, I definitely prefer Arkham Asylum. Arkham City is an excellent game that is superior to Asylum in many ways, but inferior in others. IMO, overall pacing, Riddler content and design/layout of interiors are all better in the previous game. It's a more focused game overall, which had its benefits.

Yen

kr2t0s said:
Seemed like after you don't do damage in X amount of -
the game automatically scans his suit for weakness and presents you a grid of of what can be done. On my play through i didn't realize you could do any of the 9 options or however many there are. Once I realized that - he became not only easier but also a lot more fun

If you haven't yet - make sure to use the disruptor, that one really is free damage on him.
How many times do you have to hit him? All nine?

mr.beers

Maiar_m said:
Nope, I rebooted the Xbox twice, loaded the game, it just doesn't offer me anything but "start new game".

Happened to me too. The game autosaves a lot and I probably didn't notice the save icon.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Wow, I missed quite a discussion earlier! Just to add a bit to it, has anything ever happened in Batman media where the reason
Batman doesn't kill is because he expects the escalation to get even worse? Something like, after years of putting away criminals & maybe even killing them and things only getting worse, he's resolved to just keep the current set of crazy villains he has at bay, rather than putting them down for good in fear of it getting worse?
I think something like that would be an interesting angle.

mujun

I'm just about to throw down with
Penguin.
Not enjoying this game near as much as I did the first. Doesn't feel as focused and I not really into what they have me doing much of the time. Hopefully I'll get into it more.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Wow, I missed quite a discussion earlier! Just to add a bit to it, has anything ever happened in Batman media where the reason
Batman doesn't kill is because he expects the escalation to get even worse? Something like, after years of putting away criminals & maybe even killing them and things only getting worse, he's resolved to just keep the current set of crazy villains he has at bay, rather than putting them down for good in fear of it getting worse?
I think something like that would be an interesting angle.

The reason Batman doesn't kill is because if he does, he's no better than the villains.

brobban said:
Quick question.
Playing the game with some friends, and we want to finish the campaing during the weekend.
But we don't want to stress too much.

We just finished the area with
Ra's al Ghul.

Approximately how far through the campaign are we?

70%, maybe a little less. You're definitely pass the mid way point though.

BeeDog

mujun said:
I'm just about to throw down with
Penguin.
Not enjoying this game near as much as I did the first. Doesn't feel as focused and I not really into what they have me doing much of the time. Hopefully I'll get into it more.

I agree, though I can't say I have given this game a fair chance yet. I've had it since launch, but I still go back to Dark Souls all the time. As you say, it's the unfocused nature that's to blame, I think. It tries to bombard you with a lot of shit to do, but you barely know what to tackle first.

BeeDog said:
I agree, though I can't say I have given this game a fair chance yet. I've had it since launch, but I still go back to Dark Souls all the time. As you say, it's the unfocused nature that's to blame, I think. It tries to bombard you with a lot of shit to do, but you barely know what to tackle first.

I felt the same, just focus on the story and mopping up the occasional obvious Riddler trophies/riddles. Leave the side missions, etc until after you've finished the game/for a second playthrough. Trust me, you'll enjoy the game a lot more if you just focus on the story missions during your first playthrough.

iavi

Did you guys ever notice that, in the first Riddler hostage challenge, you can
see, who I'm guessing is, the Riddler talking underneath the church when he's being projected onto the screen above, and detective mode is on?
I don't know if that's a glitch, or if that's actually where he ends up being though.

Top Bottom