• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

eshwaaz said:
In many ways, I definitely prefer Arkham Asylum. Arkham City is an excellent game that is superior to Asylum in many ways, but inferior in others. IMO, overall pacing, Riddler content and design/layout of interiors are all better in the previous game. It's a more focused game overall, which had its benefits.
The only thing I'll agree with here is the layout of the interiors point. This could just be because I played AA on the PC and AC on the consoles and I feel like I'm playing with one hand tied behind my back due to the controllers. I end up limiting my tactics to a few very easy, very effective to execute ones because it's easy to get confused about where your enemies are and what is going to work when I can't easily look around the room and find them in less than a second. It's just generally clunkier than mouse+KB controls when you need quick and nimble information and movement.

Whatever the case may be, the predator sections felt more token in this one than the previous even though they have a lot more tricks up their sleeves. The removal of the proximity bombs on gargoyles was a mistake. That made the lategame predator sections much more difficult in AA. I also felt like I used a lot less of the contextual kills like the grate takedowns, ledge takedowns and glass takedowns. Also, replacing the triple batarang with the three quick batarang combo doesn't seem like a big deal, but it messed with a lot of my predator strategies. Same thing with the removal of the ultra batclaw.

Replicant

BY2K said:
That's just not possible. The game has auto-save. At most you should have lost 15 minutes.

That auto-save is the worst feature ever. In this day and age, there's no reason for not allowing the player to save anywhere in as many save states as possible. Now I can't replay the boss parts without having to replay EVERYTHING. That's stupid. Plus, when you get to a certain point and then die, the game arbitrarily decides where you'd respawn, sometimes putting you far far away from your previous location. That's annoying and time consuming!

Salmonax

So I got to the
Penguin, and it told me I needed to go elsewhere and find some gadget to take him down.
Can that possibly be right? It feels weird for the game to let me get to him and then say "just kidding, turn around and go somewhere completely different." There also didn't seem to be an obvious exit other than backtracking through the level.

I'm not for entirely linear games, but this annoyed me. Or am I just doing it wrong?

lucius

Finished the game with like half the side missions, New Game+ is very cool this game has great replay value, but I still say the main game of Batman AA is much better.

Doomrider

BY2K said:
No. Please keep the Joker away from Arkham 3.

Also, apologies to Buckethead. When you said you were kinda stuck on Top of the World, I didn't even realize you were referring to the extreme version, so what I said was pretty useless. I tried it yesterday, spent 40 minutes in there. As soon as I got the REC achievement on my second try, I decided I was going to take it as slowly as necessary, because I just couldn't see myself doing it again anytime soon and I didn't want to risk it. Believe it or not, it was fun!

Nori Chan

Doomrider said:
No. Please keep the Joker away from Arkham 3.

Also, apologies to Buckethead. When you said you were kinda stuck on Top of the World, I didn't even realize you were referring to the extreme version, so what I said was pretty useless. I tried it yesterday, spent 40 minutes in there. As soon as I got the REC achievement on my second try, I decided I was going to take it as slowly as necessary, because I just couldn't see myself doing it again anytime soon and I didn't want to risk it. Believe it or not, it was fun!
but beyond joker :(

Doomrider

Noriega said:
but beyond joker :(
Arkham Beyond? It's still too soon for that, no? =P

Unless he means that his "Goodbye Joker" tweet was not related to AC so people won't get spoiled on the ending? I'm still hoping they'll stick to their decision and keep him dead.

Doomrider said:
Also, apologies to Buckethead. When you said you were kinda stuck on Top of the World, I didn't even realize you were referring to the extreme version
Yeah it's a pain to get them aligned correctly.
I just beat that on the Campaigns. Finally got the hang of it.

Only 9 more medals and I should be at 100%.

kr2t0s said:
Seemed like after you don't do damage in X amount of -
the game automatically scans his suit for weakness and presents you a grid of of what can be done. On my play through i didn't realize you could do any of the 9 options or however many there are. Once I realized that - he became not only easier but also a lot more fun

If you haven't yet - make sure to use the disruptor, that one really is free damage on him.
I did. It felt like facing nemesis in RE3 until I got the scan, it was just that by then I was so frustrated by it. I got the first hit in the
puddle
by figuring it out all by myself, that's why seeing that whole list and then dying pissed me off.
Also, if you want to see story progress, exit out and check the stats menu. I can't believe I'm already almost 50% through, AA took me a while longer I feel.

overcast

lucius said:
Finished the game with like half the side missions, New Game+ is very cool this game has great replay value, but I still say the main game of Batman AA is much better.
Yup, there is a wealth of content. Still going at it, and I've been only playing this for about a week and a half.

Siromatic

Neo Member
Was anyone else a little disappointed by how little combat encounters changed in interior rooms full of guards? Grapple from one gargoyle statue to another to perform inverted takedowns, hide in crawl-spaces to perform takedowns, grapple to a ledge to perform a ledge takedown, sneak behind guards to perform takedowns, rinse and repeat ad nauseam, just like in "Arkham Asylum." I recognize that the amount of gadgets to use and maneuvers to perform in hand-to-hand combat was greatly enhanced, but was disappointed by how boring the interior rooms with guards still were.

Speedymanic said:
70%, maybe a little less. You're definitely pass the mid way point though.
Damn, I'm at that point too and honestly, I don't feel like I've played the game all that much. I kind of expected to be half way. :(

Otherwise, the game is amazing. They've really given life to the batverse, a lot more than in AA.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Pretty much wrapped up all of the main world stuff I'd be interested in. Found
Crime Alley, listen to thugs talk about Arkham Galaxy and all
, unlocked all of the combat stuff, etc.

My god, the batarang takedowns make challenge rooms too easy. I should get a time bons for getting first rounds done in less than 10 seconds.

Bollocks

Do I need to get all 3 medals in the challenge rooms for the "Perfect Knight Trophy 2.0" or whatever it is called or is it enough if I get at least one?
Also where can I find the victims of the serial killer? That's the only unfinished side mission besides the riddler hostages

overcast

You need to get all three.

Natural Selection Extreme is going to drive me insane. The dive bomb shock move is ridiculous in doors.

Edit: I GOT THAT SHIT SON.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! got all the Riddles, all the side quests!!!

all I needa do now is grab all the Catwoman riddles then I'm 100% done with campaign!!

then it's on to Challenge modes... this game is too fun!!!

I had a serious trouble with the Ridder Hostage #2. Fuck that. Glad I'm done with that one though. Its odd..Im having no problem with the riddles at all but the trophies can fuck off. Some of these Im like..How the hell do you get that one?!

Maiar_m said:
Nope, I rebooted the Xbox twice, loaded the game, it just doesn't offer me anything but "start new game".
Same thing happened to me :(
It seems the game can auto save unexpectedly and that can corrupt the save if you turn off the machine then.
I'd finished the main game, but not the Catwoman stuff. After sulking for a bit, I've started playing through on Easy just to get to the end. Not sure if I can be arsed doing the Riddler stuff again. :(

Just beat the game and now experiencing the extremely long credits for myself. Fantastic game but I feel like it ended way to soon. I know there are a ton of things do to outside of the main quest but I wanted at least another 4 or 5 hours of good meaty story. Oh well, back to getting all the Riddler stuff done .I'm at about 270/440. All on my own so far without the use of a guide. Not a bad start I guess. :D

Has anyone had problems with Batman: AC locking up your PS3 to the point that you've had to do a hard power off on the console? This is the second time it's happened to me in 3 days and it's starting to worry me, I don't want to kill my PS3 with this game. It's a brand new PS3, purchased about 3-4 months ago and I've never had any problem until just now.

spidye

cpp_is_king said:
Has anyone had problems with Batman: AC locking up your PS3 to the point that you've had to do a hard power off on the console? This is the second time it's happened to me in 3 days and it's starting to worry me, I don't want to kill my PS3 with this game. It's a brand new PS3, purchased about 3-4 months ago and I've never had any problem until just now.
I think just one time but I'm not sure.

Karish

Just beat it. Did not have Catwoman code a did basically Zero side missions. Beat it quick but it was amazing! With so many games coming down the line, im glad I was able to wrap this one up.

AEREC

BlueSummers said:
Just beat the game and now experiencing the extremely long credits for myself. Fantastic game but I feel like it ended way to soon. I know there are a ton of things do to outside of the main quest but I wanted at least another 4 or 5 hours of good meaty story. Oh well, back to getting all the Riddler stuff done .I'm at about 270/440. All on my own so far without the use of a guide. Not a bad start I guess. :D

You dont need a guide anyways, just keep interrogating riddlers henchman and they show up on the map.

Guides are silly.

AEREC said:
You dont need a guide anyways, just keep interrogating riddlers henchman and they show up on the map.

Guides are silly.

I used a youtube guide for some of the physical challenges because by that time i was just exhausted and wanted to finish it off. They went a little overboard with the sheer quantity of riddler secrets

overcast

AEREC said:

Guides are silly.
Yeah, I thought I would need it. The Riddler henchmen basically did all the work.

Kinyou

I probably has been discussed to death but goddamn, did they really need to let Nolan North voice every second NPC?! And it's not like they hired him just for the small roles (which would explain why he shows up so often), no, he voices the freakin' Penguin! (very excellent btw. didn't recognize him until I checked IMDB)
How can they let the guy who voices one of the major characters also voice half of the NPCs? Nolan is really selling himself for a too low price.

Kinyou said:
I probably has been discussed to death but goddamn, did they really need to let Nolan North voice every second NPC?! And it's not like they hired him just for the small roles (which would explain why he shows up so often), no, he voices the freakin' Penguin! (very excellent btw. didn't recognize him until I checked IMDB)
How can they let the guy who voices one of the major characters also voice half of the NPCs? Nolan is really selling himself for a too low price.

it's a common practice with voice-over work for one guy to do multiple roles.

Sullichin

Beat the game. Wow. There was actually a good final boss battle this time.

I pretty much loved every second of the game. I really only focused on the story though because I have so many games on my backlog and wanted to get this out of the way before uncharted 3. Definitely plan on getting back into this though. If you pretty much just do the story, it's a short game.

Sullichin

Yeah this last catwoman bit is pretty hard..

EDIT: lol I didn't realize that I could
distract the other guys and just take out two face

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
cpp_is_king said:

I get that sometimes on my 360 even, Ive had it lock up on me twice just starting the game, and going into a menu sometimes freezes it.

This is by far the best videogame based on a previous license. Ever. It's magnificent.

You know that feeling when you FEEL the game coming to a close, and you just don't want it to...so you start a brand new game just the the hell of it BEFORE you even beat it? This is how I feel with Arkham City. The only games I've ever done that with were Ocarina of Time and Half-Life 2. Good company, Batman.

Also, real quick. How the hell do you get the Paying Respects achievement? I
"payed my respects" to the Wayne parents for like two minutes and still didn't get the achievement.

Neiteio

DeathbyVolcano said:
This is by far the best videogame based on a previous license. Ever. It's magnificent.

You know that feeling when you FEEL the game coming to a close, and you just don't want it to...so you start a brand new game just the the hell of it BEFORE you even beat it? This is how I feel with Arkham City. The only games I've ever done that with were Ocarina of Time and Half-Life 2. Good company, Batman.

"payed my respects" to the Wayne parents for like two minutes and still didn't get the achievement.
Indeed, the game is incredible. Best of the year so far, squeezing out Deus Ex and Catherine.

For that achievement, pay respects until the music in the background plays completely...

Ah, figures. I like started/stopped that like four times.

And for real, this game just flows so damned well. I know some people prefer the tightness and brevity of Arkham Asylum, but I think this game perfects "open-world" gameplay, all the while never letting you get lost in the world. It's amazing what Rocksteady did.

Moaradin

I love the game. I'm glad I rented the console version because I could just not wait for the PC version. I will buy the PC game once it comes out because It's going to look gorgeous and I want to do 100% completion on that version.

I'm a big Batman fan and this just does it so much justice. It's pretty much a darker animated series.

DeathbyVolcano said:

To be sure, you need to clear out the surrounding area so there's no enemy

Then let it play for like a minute...

Korosenai

Buckethead said:
End of the Line extreme... fuck it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNH9l5TxyMQ

Skip to 5:48. I did it on my first try after watching this video.

Plus

pkd2.jpg

:D

SpeedingUptoStop

So what happens when you complete every challenge?

Does the city just become...hospitable? Does Batman just say "phew" and hikes it back to the batcave to relax?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
So what happens when you complete every challenge?

Does the city just become...hospitable? Does Batman just say "phew" and hikes it back to the batcave to relax?

Do you mean the Riddler challenges, not including the combat/predator challenges?

If so, and unless I am missing something,
nothing happens, not even a "congratulation", even after kicking Riddler's ass

SpeedingUptoStop

I would totally absolutely go through all the trouble to 200% the game if it meant you got like, a special Arkham City environment where crime was actually wiped out and Batman could legit relax.

Can someone explain how the Ground Pound move works / how you do it? I beat the game and got every riddler trophy / physical challenge complete, but I never even heard of this move till I was watching a video of someone doing one of the riddler's revenge challenges and he just said "you shoudl always do ground pound at the end of each round"

cpp_is_king said:
Can someone explain how the Ground Pound move works / how you do it? I beat the game and got every riddler trophy / physical challenge complete, but I never even heard of this move till I was watching a video of someone doing one of the riddler's revenge challenges and he just said "you shoudl always do ground pound at the end of each round"

...are you talking about the glide stun move?

Top Bottom