• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

overcast

Trin3785 said:
So my power just went out and back on and I lost my save file...... Everything is gone....... Fuck...... Alllll of my progress!!!! :'(
That's bullshit. After all of those codes you've given people :[

Ugh, Riddler Physical challenges. I'm done with all the riddles, these are annoying.

Squall ASF said:
Nobody here has done this? Surely someone has completed all the physical riddle challenges in story mode? I just wish there was a youtube video of this one so I can see if I'm encountering a glitch, or just missing something...

Don't those two combos build off x8 multipliers?

If that's not it, you may not be hitting anyone with the A+B combo.

That's all I can think of.

Agent_J

almost 20% in and i am really loving this game now. it's a bit overwhelming at times and i still find it easy to get lost. it's also sometimes really obscure sometimes with its' objectives.

Scapegoat

overcast said:
How do you do a Grapnel boost takedown?
Grapnel boost a ledge (you must be lower) where a goon is standing and you'll automatically take him down.

What you can do is hang on the edge of a roof that is patrolled by goons and do a ledge takedown as one walks past. This will alarm the other guards. Jump down to a lower rooftop and be ready to grapnel boost when they arrive

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard said:
This is probably a silly question, but has there been any confirmation that Catwoman is in the Steam version? The screenshots in the store didn't show her, if I recall correctly. I'd just been waiting to preorder in case any silly DLC etc. issues came up.
This didn't seem to be answered from a day or two ago, does anyone happen to know for sure? I just checked, and the screenshots don't have Catwoman so I'm being dumb and paranoid. :D

Great game, really enjoyed. I'm sad though, I don't want this game to be the last Joker related project Mark Hamill does :(

He makes the character so damn entertaining!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of you guys know, off the top of your head, how to get the trophy in Wonder City near the door in that flooded room? It's above a wooden platform I have no idea how to break?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RoninChaos said:
I still think it's a great story. And Alan Moore doesn't seem to like any of his work that he didn't create. And he's fucking crazy. And he seems to have rape in every one of his stories. I have no idea why.

Not really. He likes almost all his 80s and ABC work and his Supreme work. Only TKJ has he repeatedly expressed disappointment with alongside DR and Quinch.

overcast

The Xtortionist said:
It's style over substance but pretty entertaining imo
I thought it was alright. Pretty interesting to look at. Really easy to solve though. I didn't fail once (besides checking what happens). Disappointing when you consider how much effort the player puts in to it, and how it wasn't even as hard as any of the rooms.

Rez said:
B-but the game says it doesn't work indoors. Argh.

Only where they don't want you using it.

That one took forever because of that rule, then I screwed up using the Line Launcher, fell, and accidentally boosted through there trying to save myself.

overcast

The interview tapes are fantastic again. So much great voice acting.

Are there any good Freeze graphic novels? I really like the character (from what I've seen in TAS and this game).

Replicant

Finished it last night, it was okay I guess. The final battle for Batman and the ending didn't feel grand enough even though I actually like the battle mechanic of the last boss (at least it's not henchmen x 100 like many other boss fights have been). I guess I can now finish off the rest of the pyschos without worrying about Batman's health.

On the other hand, the last Catwoman battle was a bitch and a half. It was ridiculous how over-powered the enemies are in terms of weapons and numbers. I was basically lucky that I somehow managed to beat Two-face before all of them can gang up on me but I was only left with 2 health bar when I was done.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
thetrin said:
One thing I found really weird about AC is that the game's story fits neatly into the comic, except for
Hush. His side quest directly conflicts with Jeph Loeb's Hush.

It seems like they wanted to mix him and Jane Doe. Which doesnt work as well as using either of them nor make as much sense as the original origin. Kinda funny considering what Jane did to him in the comics.

And I reread Living Hell last night. I forgot thats actually were Aaron Cash originated from. Its actually a pretty good story, but the supernatural element of it means you cant use much of the plot in the Arkham games. Though they did include the Croc/Cash emnity.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Replicant said:
Finished it last night, it was okay I guess. The final battle for Batman and the ending didn't feel grand enough even though I actually like the battle mechanic of the last boss (at least it's not henchmen x 100 like many other boss fights have been). I guess I can now finish off the rest of the pyschos without worrying about Batman's health.

On the other hand, the last Catwoman battle was a bitch and a half. It was ridiculous how over-powered the enemies are in terms of weapons and numbers. I was basically lucky that I somehow managed to beat Two-face before all of them can gang up on me but I was only left with 2 health bar when I was done.

Thats cause the enemies respawn so you cant just silent takedown everyone and beat up Two Face like every other predator section.

Replicant

HK-47 said:
Thats cause the enemies respawn so you cant just silent takedown everyone and beat up Two Face like every other predator section.
FFFFFUUUU. I didn't know that. Glad I decided not to take them out one by one after the 3rd fail attempt. I just took one out to distract them so they'll head there then I sneaked and pounced on Two-face while everyone busy looking in the area where the first henchman down.

FatCat

Ok, finished the game last night. A couple of comments (warning, some very big story spoilers).

- The last half of the game came out of nowhere. Glad I wasn't spoiled on anything.
- Some villains deserved better character development. I'm thinking
Two Face and some of the side mission guys like Deadshot, Hush or Calender Man. I also think Strange could have done with a bit more story
- I really enjoyed the whole part at
the museum with Penguin and Freeze and the Wonder City quest
- WTF at
the ending scene, I was not expecting that at all. The painting cliché from the first scene makes sense, I'm just surprised so many faced their end, is that common in the comics?

- Open world works well as it is, not as cohesive as AA but still delivers a fantastic sensation. You really do feel like Batman.
- Combat is still way too complicated for me, some kind of decent tutorial for the gadgets would have been nice as I never knew what button triggered what.

I have yet to replay the game a second time and collect those bloody trophies. All in all its definately in my top 3 games of the year.

Jintor

HK-47 said:

The trick is to take them down without triggering the alarm. If you can do that, they won't respawn.

Or you can be a pussy and get everyone to run to one area and then just beat on TwoFace for a while, but WHATEVER.

Seriously Rocksteady, 250 Riddler trophies would have been more than enough.

And whoever thought up the touch-pad challenges can be fired before you start coming up with the next game, thanks.

overcast

Riddler challenges were pretty damn fun for me. Struggled with plenty of course.
OMG @ the Mad Hatter interview tapes. Damn.

Managed to get Perfect Freeflow 2.0 during NG+ tonight on the huge mob of dudes that
Penguin releases in the museum
. Feels good man.

overcast said:
Riddler challenges were pretty damn fun for me. Struggled with plenty of course.
OMG @ the Mad Hatter interview tapes. Damn.

They just bug me because there's very little problem solving involved. It's mostly just fine motor-dexterity in a game that otherwise operates in broad strokes.

And the Riddler doesn't give a shit if Batman can hit a series of touch-pads without touching the ground. He wants to out-smart him, not give him busy work. This felt more video-gamey than the riddles in the first game.

Alot of the riddler challenges are easier than they seem. Some that look like you have to hit 4 at once, really you can just use the bat-plastic explosive on two of them then batarang the others. Only 3 out of all the challenges were really really tough for me.

eshwaaz

Just beat it - ended up really enjoying it despite the first few hours being quite off-putting for me. A lot of truly great moments in this game.

There was something about the audio/visual presentation of combat that felt inferior to Arkham Asylum that I couldn't put my finger on, but it was nagging me throughout the entire game. I booted up Asylum and played a bit, and discovered that there are actually audio and visual effects missing from Arkham City. Bodies feel more weighty in Asylum due to varied "thud" sound effects for bodies impacting the ground, walls, etc. (most noticeable during the slow-motion final blows), as well as clouds of kicked-up dust that also accompany the impact. It's odd to me that these effects were removed when they really helped sell the mass of the enemies. Sending a baddie flying through the air with a vicious uppercut only to have no sound effect when he hits the ground makes those moment less satisfying for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really liked the one group of three trophies in the sewer
where the floor gets electrocuted, so you use the zipline and stand on it while the shock goes off.
I would've liked more riddler stuff like that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So what about that trophy above the cage that Catwoman climbs in the museum torture chamber? :p

Edit: never mind, got it. That was a good one.

Double D

Need help with something riddler related.

The 'shell game' with the hostage. I'm being trolled here and it's impossible to pick the right one, right? Seriously I've done it like six times and it look like its always doing the same pattern but I can't get it right.

edit: derp detective mode. duh!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Vik_Vaughn said:
Need help with something riddler related.

The 'shell game' with the hostage. I'm being trolled here and it's impossible to pick the right one, right? Seriously I've done it like six times and it look like its always doing the same pattern but I can't get it right.

Use your detective vision

overcast said:
Eh AR challenges weren't so bad. The only one I really had trouble was the one where you have to fly through the clown's mouth. Fuck that.

That one tested my limits.

Glad I'm done with that shit! >:|

Every Riddler hostage problem goes down like this:

R: "You'll never solve this Batman! I'm a genius!"

BM: "I have a gadget that solves this easily."

R: " DAMN YOU! YOU CHEATED!"

Seriously dude, half the fucking question marks I collected required these gadgets to pick up, but you can't make a problem that accounts for them?

overcast

cackhyena said:
Where are Mad Hatter tapes found?
You get them after beating the side quest I believe. Go to his profile, there will 5 of them. You unlock various tapes for a few villains if you didn't notice that go to their profiles as well.

The Antitype said:
They just bug me because there's very little problem solving involved. It's mostly just fine motor-dexterity in a game that otherwise operates in broad strokes.

And the Riddler doesn't give a shit if Batman can hit a series of touch-pads without touching the ground. He wants to out-smart him, not give him busy work. This felt more video-gamey than the riddles in the first game.
Well yeah, a lot of them are very un-riddler like. I enjoyed them regardless. I love the riddler rooms where he locks you in and forces you to use your mind.

Luthos

The lack of the armored Batman in this one is disappointing. He looked cool but didn't feel too out of place. I loved using him in the riddler challenges in AA.

What's the best place to complete the combat challenge where you have to destroy an exploding object before its thrown? I've beaten the game and in free roam mode, and there just aren't a lot of enemies. I found a fire extinguisher outside the museum but there's only 1 enemy there and he has a shield, so he won't pick up the extiguisher.

The Antitype said:
Every Riddler hostage problem goes down like this:

R: "You'll never solve this Batman! I'm a genius!"

BM: "I have a gadget that solves this easily."

R: " DAMN YOU! YOU CHEATED!"

Seriously dude, half the fucking question marks I collected required these gadgets to pick up, but you can't make a problem that accounts for them?
Yeah that pretty funny.

The later ones were a little more creative however.

Jintor

The Antitype said:

He's a Riddler, not a game designer!

Top Bottom