• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Luthos

Grisby said:
No achievement for collecting all riddler trophies? :(. Kind of a silly thing I suppose but 440 is a lot.

I've only got one left too, that damned catwoman combo one.
Well it's one of a few requirements for the Perfect Knight achievement. That also requires you beat the riddler challenges, NG+ and whatnot.

Secret_Riddle said:
Batman fans will murder me for this but..It's not a personal favourite of mine.

*hides*

YOU SON OF A BITCH.

No, but seriously. Outside of Year One, I'm not a huge fan of Miller's contributions to Batman. The Dark Knight Returns has a good story, but the art constantly takes me out of it. It's just unappealing. Maybe it's because I'm only 21 so I'm used to a more literal, less impressionistic, art style in my comics. In general though, his contributions range from Great: Year one, Good to mediocre: The Dark Knight Returns and its sequel, and Bad: All Star Batman and Robin.

The latter left such a bad taste in my mouth that it lessened my appreciation for Loeb's Dark Victory and The Long Halloween (which are set in Miller's canon, iirc) and that line of continuity as a whole.

/rant

You guys can ask Bats himself if you want. He's on a coffee break right now..right over there <<

Year One is probably my favorite story of all time.

DKR is great though. It really changed the status quo for comics in general (along with Watchmen) and while the art isn't the greatest, it's still a great story.

I feel you on the art though. Miller is a good artist, but he isn't for every one and his later works don't have the style or integrity that his old stuff has. Funny thing is, I don't think DKR would have worked if he hadn't drawn it.

Mazzuchelli's art on Year One with Miller's writing was fucking stunning.

Trin3785 said:
PS3 Batman beyond skin available, Quote to win!
yo!

Grisby

Luthos said:
Well it's one of a few requirements for the Perfect Knight achievement. That also requires you beat the riddler challenges, NG+ and whatnot.
True but I wasn;t gonna go for that. Oh well, if I do down the road at least I won't have to get them during NG+.

overcast

Secret_Riddle said:

*hides*

No, but seriously. Outside of Year One, I'm not a huge fan of Miller's contributions to Batman. The Dark Knight Returns has a good story, but the art constantly takes me out of it. It's just unappealing. Maybe it's because I'm only 21 so I'm used to a more literal, less impressionistic, art style in my comics. In general though, his contributions range from Great: Year one, Good to mediocre: The Dark Knight Returns and its sequel, and Bad: All Star Batman and Robin.

The latter left such a bad taste in my mouth that it lessened my appreciation for Loeb's Dark Victory and The Long Halloween (which are set in Miller's canon, iirc) and that line of continuity as a whole.

/rant

You guys can ask Bats himself if you want. He's on a coffee break right now..right over there <<
To be honest I haven't read Year One or TDKR. When I opened TDKR I did notice the art though. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Also, as far as achievements for Riddler trophies. You get a trophy for saving every hostage, so that's basically it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Secret_Riddle said:

*hides*

/rant

You're not alone, Miller is terrible. The writing in Dark Knight Returns is the best of all his stuff, but the art is blech. I like Jim Lee better. Everything he's written after the fact was bad and he kinda fucked himself because All-Star Batman is supposed to be same continuity as Dark Knight Returns but Batman goes from being a fucking lunatic to just a guy who takes it incredibly seriously.

So after complete all the expert challenges they expect me to go through every section of the game again for the 4th time, doing exactly what I just did to get 100% Fuck that. I wanted to get perfect knight as I did with the 1st game but that's ludicrous. New game plus and Riddler campaigns shouldn't be mandatory for 100% for the next title, what a horrid design decision.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Spirit of Jazz said:
So after complete all the expert challenges they expect me to go through every section of the game again for the 4th time, doing exactly what I just did to get 100% Fuck that. I wanted to get perfect knight as I did with the 1st game but that's ludicrous. New game plus and Riddler campaigns shouldn't be mandatory for 100% for the next title, what a horrid design decision.

The campaigns are pretty different, at least the predator sections were really different for me.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Yup.

I'm not bothering with them anymore.

LAUGHTREY said:
The campaigns are pretty different, at least the predator sections were really different for me.

My mistake then, maybe not exactly identical (I only checked the first a last campaigns) but I've already gone through the same 6 levels enough and switching the enemy layouts/medal conditions in them isn't any real incentive. On top of that practically every combat mission plays out exactly the same.

Abylim

The Antitype said:
Ok cool.

Now I can get it to light up all the arrows, but not the question mark. Just gotta find a higher place to dive-bomb from I guess?

You may need to shockwave after landing (Circle when hitting the ground)

Please help, this is driving me crazy! I have one last physical challenge to complete everything in original story mode. It's the Catwoman challenge of combining her two special moves into one combo flow. Could someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong? I fear that the game is glitched.

I build the combo up to x5 (Unlocked that earlier combo starter via Batman) and execute one of the specials. I then immediately attack to keep the combo going and did the other when it hit x10. Nothing. I then tried again and this time I waited for it to flash red colors before executing the move which I believe happens at x12. Still nothing. The specials I'm doing are X+A and B+A. What am I doing wrong? Is the game just messing up? I've done is successfully nearly a dozen times :(

bubnbob

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:

Yep, I have no idea behind the reasoning period for New Game+. It's absolutely the same, aside from adding some Jammer enemies and Armor enemies. Waste of time.

Spirit of Jazz said:
My mistake then, maybe not exactly identical (I only checked the first a last campaigns) but I've already gone through the same 6 levels enough and switching the enemy layouts/medal conditions in them isn't any real incentive. On top of that practically every combat mission plays out exactly the same.

The only thing different about the Campaign Challenges are the modifiers. Enemies and their layouts are the same as in the combat/predator challenges.

comrade

bubnbob said:
Yep, I have no idea behind the reasoning period for New Game+. It's absolutely the same, aside from adding some Jammer enemies and Armor enemies. Waste of time.
I agree. I loved hard mode. NG+, not so much.

Oh my god, there is nothing fun about ANY of the pressure plate riddles.

Argh.

Ok, I'm stuck on one by the industrial district. Right beside the wall beneath Strange's tower. I've been gliding from the two high chimney's a few blocks away, dive-bombing to get height (as high as the fucking BAT-SIGNAL in some cases), and dive-bombing, but I ALWAYS come up two arrows short.

Where am I supposed to dive bomb this thing from, if I'm coming down on it from higher than any building in the area?

Bollocks

Man I love this game but just like Arkham Asylum the challenge rooms piss me off!
The challenge rooms prevented me from getting the platinum in AA and now in AC, I don't mind the 400+ riddler trophies while they are tedious the city makes up for it but the challenge rooms, no way I will drag myself through to 3medal them, if I wanted a fighting game I would have bought one ._. They should have added more AR training's instead

Grisby

The Antitype said:
Oh my god, there is nothing fun about ANY of the pressure plate riddles.

Argh.

Ok, I'm stuck on one by the industrial district. Right beside the wall beneath Strange's tower. I've been gliding from the two high chimney's a few blocks away, dive-bombing to get height (as high as the fucking BAT-SIGNAL in some cases), and dive-bombing, but I ALWAYS come up two arrows short.

Where am I supposed to dive bomb this thing from, if I'm coming down on it from higher than any building in the area?

Smokestacks are fine. Make sure to use the detonater thingy after you land (press b in 360 version)

Vire

Bollocks said:
Man I love this game but just like Arkham Asylum the challenge rooms piss me off!
The challenge rooms prevented me from getting the platinum in AA and now in AC, I don't mind the 400+ riddler trophies while they are tedious the city makes up for it but the challenge rooms, no way I will drag myself through to 3medal them, if I wanted a fighting game I would have bought one ._. They should have added more AR training's instead

Thank god you aren't in charge...

Grisby said:
Smokestacks are fine. Make sure to use the detonater thingy after you land (press b in 360 version)

-_-

Detonator did it.

On the plus side, I did get the dive 50 meters straight riddler challenge in this process... I dived 50 meters straight onto the pad... and didn't get the arrows all the way up. LOL.

Magnus

Can someone post that hilarious photoshop of the Arkham Asylum GOTY edition cover with all the additional labels? I can't find it in any thread for my life.

overcast

Eh AR challenges weren't so bad. The only one I really had trouble was the one where you have to fly through the clown's mouth. Fuck that.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Pimpbaa said:
Amen to that. The AR training missions were absolutely horrible.
I like it because when you get em, feels good man. Also, got another nos code. Quote me if ya want it.

Really don't see what the big deal is with AR missions. I mean, the advanced ones ain't easy, but I don't think I tried any one more than 6 times or so. What can I say? I guess I'm just Batmanlier than you guys.

Conciliator said:
Really don't see what the big deal is with AR missions. I mean, the advanced ones ain't easy, but I don't think I tried any one more than 6 times or so. What can I say? I guess I'm just Batmanlier than you guys.

I will take an extreme combat challenge over an AR mission anyday. Batman that

GeoramA

The AR training turned me into a divebombing expert.

That said, thank god there are only 4 advanced ones. They were a BITCH.

GeoramA said:
The AR training turned me into a divebombing expert.

That said, thank god there are only 4 advanced ones. They were a BITCH.

some tips would be great for the advanced ones. I don't know how to maintain a steady speed/height coming off the divebomb.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So my power just went out and back on and I lost my save file...... Everything is gone....... Fuck...... Alllll of my progress!!!! :'(

Squall ASF said:
Please help, this is driving me crazy! I have one last physical challenge to complete everything in original story mode. It's the Catwoman challenge of combining her two special moves into one combo flow. Could someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong? I fear that the game is glitched.

I build the combo up to x5 (Unlocked that earlier combo starter via Batman) and execute one of the specials. I then immediately attack to keep the combo going and did the other when it hit x10. Nothing. I then tried again and this time I waited for it to flash red colors before executing the move which I believe happens at x12. Still nothing. The specials I'm doing are X+A and B+A. What am I doing wrong? Is the game just messing up? I've done is successfully nearly a dozen times :(

Nobody here has done this? Surely someone has completed all the physical riddle challenges in story mode? I just wish there was a youtube video of this one so I can see if I'm encountering a glitch, or just missing something...

Trin3785 said:
So my power just went out and back on and I lost my save file...... Everything is gone....... Fuck...... Alllll of my progress!!!! :'(

Ouch, that blows.

Something similar happened to me last night. I beat the game and was watching the credits when a download finished on my Xbox, and of course the game booted me to the title screen without saving. I immediately played the last boss again, but it was annoying. Not nearly the same as losing a save file, though.

GeoramA

BeautifulMemory said:
some tips would be great for the advanced ones. I don't know how to maintain a steady speed/height coming off the divebomb.
You're probably doing it right. Your timing has to be almost perfect from when you let go of the divebomb button. Just move the analog gently through the tunnel.

Top Bottom