• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Nemesis_

AEREC said:
Anyone know how to the riddler challenge where you have to aerial assault one stunned enemy and then jump to another? I have been trying for a while and it's the last riddlers challenge I need for batman.

I can aerial assualt one guy and hit another guy right after that and keep a combo but that doesnt seem to be working.

Basically you should be making the jump on the enemy you target, but landing the hit on someone else. It's a bit weird timing it corrrectly but once you get it you'll be good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This may sound weird, but this game reminds me of a 3D revival of Phantom 2040 on SNES. Both games are rather open world superhero games set in very dark cities...

Hi Rocksteady,

You really need to re-think what you consider to be a "challenge" in terms of the combat challenges. I get that we need variety and the players need to think on our feet, but can you please not put bunch of enemies all together in one big plump where they cannot be hit directly? Yes, I am talking about the baton and shield guys. It gets BS when there are many of them standing around, and you have to worry about getting shanked, and you have to worry about, oh I don't know, the fucking Titans and the one armed-dude that will ambush you. Nothing is more frustrating to get combos broken simply because they cannot be hit, what kind of stupid idea is that? Yes, I know I need to go around them, but again, when there are so many of them, and that when there are that many around the regular enemies will turtle behind them --- so I am limited in my counters and attacks.

Oh, and I know it's cool to design AI that will run to the FAR corner and throw boxes. That's fine, just don't make it so that when I am already doing a critical strike on them and that fucking box/extinguisher still hit me. If I am dashing toward the enemy and are in-motion/animation of attacking, that fucking box should not hit me, since I already kicked the guy. Oh, and my attacks still get whiffed randomly even though there is an enemy next to me, fix that, please. You can't have a challenge that's combat/combo based and have shit like that running around

/Using Catwoman

AEREC

NubInaTub said:
Do B+AA to do the aerial assault, and then hold the left stick in another guys direction and press X. Just go to the aerial assault move under the select button and it will tell you there.

Ya...thats what Im doing and I went to the selct menu to make sure I was doing it correctly before posting it here...Im not sure why its not working.

overcast

cackhyena said:
This is exactly why I like this game so much more. Backtracking is the fucking devil. Of course the story was tighter in the original, but that is nowhere near enough of a detriment to me when I actually feel more like Batman getting to use the abilities I have in a less claustrophobic environment.

The amount of villains works for me. You don't get everyone, but you get a lot, and it fits, story wise. It's smart making one of them deal mostly with Catwoman as well. The side missions with lesser villains felt just brisk yet involving enough to feel worth it. And the combat is much better to me. There wasn't one part in this game I'd have a problem with, or cringe at playing again. I have several in AA and that's why I'd never go back. It was a very good game overall, but once was enough.

You can't create the same vibe as in AA. basically having the big bads carving out there own sections of terror in the same way, but I felt this games tone was more cohesive. I'm outside flying around this gorgeously torn down city, and on the inside, the villains kinda make do with what they have. I dunno. Just works for me better. I'm actually kinda stalling on finishing up a few things left to do in the game hoping they'll announce more story DLC soon ish. Rather not get burnt out before that stuff comes. Uncharted 2 took my personal GOTY in 09. Unless U3 blows me away, this game has it so far. Even over Portal 2....blasphemous.
I don't know what else to add. I feel you stated it great. I love the fact that it feels larger. I feel truly like Batman going around the city and doing side missions. Or fighting people. The city has plenty of detail, and little details such as
the Wayne's tribute
make me geek out. Game is brilliant. I can't wait to see what Rocksteady has for Gotham City.

I do want some side missions desperately..

Side topic: Does anybody know when we should expect a Dark Knight Rises trailer? I'm avoiding the shit out of the spoiler thread.

I haven't picked up the game yet, can anyone answer a few questions?

My biggest complaint about Batman Arkam Asylum was that the enemy variety was really, really lack luster. There were a lot of complaints about the combat becoming stale in the previous game and I believe the main cause was the lack of enemies requiring drastically different tactics. Did they improve upon that?

Also, another complaint I had with the first game was that the placement of the gadgets felt haphazard and anticlimactic. Did they improve upon that?

Mortrialus said:
I haven't picked up the game yet, can anyone answer a few questions?

My biggest complaint about Batman Arkam Asylum was that the enemy variety was really, really lack luster. There were a lot of complaints about the combat becoming stale in the previous game and I believe the main cause was the lack of enemies requiring drastically different tactics. Did they improve upon that?

Also, another complaint I had with the first game was that the placement of the gadgets felt haphazard and anticlimactic. Did they improve upon that?

Everything in this game is an improvement, or an attempt of, from the last game. Whether you like the approaches to certain things, you will see that previous grievances are acknowledged and limitations addressed

So yes and yes.

overcast

Wait, can I get Perfect Knight without using Catwoman? Because I'm not sure I want to deal with her difficult last mission on NG+

Bollocks

Maybe stupid question because I'm not that well versed with the Batman universe but can anybody give some insight on this: What is Arkham City and how did it become the place it is in the game? Google search brings nothing but info about the game :/ I ask because in the game you can actually go to the place where
Batman's parents died
For me it is a bit odd that given their wealth they would go to such a shady place?!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Bollocks said:
Maybe stupid question because I'm not that well versed with the Batman universe but can anybody give some insight on this: What is Arkham City and how did it become the place it is in the game? Google search brings nothing but info about the game :/ I ask because in the game you can actually go to the place where
Batman's parents died
For me it is a bit odd that given their wealth they would go to such a shady place?!
Arkham City was built within the 6 months after the AA went to hell, all from Strange's
& Sharps & Ra's
influence. Read some of the Arkham Stories in the Batcomputer (start menu in-game), hopefully you've unlocked some of those stories from doing Riddler challenges or w/e. As far as I know, there's never been a Arkham City type story before in the Batmanverse, and I assume back when Bruce's parents went to theater, it was a nice part of town. Having Crime Alley practically at the heart of Arkham City is a symbol of how far the corruption has spread since their influence disappeared from Gotham, IMO.

kr2t0s said:
Seemed like after you don't do damage in X amount of -
the game automatically scans his suit for weakness and presents you a grid of of what can be done. On my play through i didn't realize you could do any of the 9 options or however many there are. Once I realized that - he became not only easier but also a lot more fun

If you haven't yet - make sure to use the disruptor, that one really is free damage on him.
Funny, I beat him last night. I've only got the grid to pop up once. The time i beat him I never got the suit analysis. I still don't see how to get the
zip line and explosive gel takedowns

This plot is getting silly, how was Quinn able to get the cure? Why is Batman still helping Freeze after that battle?? I WAS PISSED

Finished it yesterday and it was really good. Not sure if I like it better than Arkham Asylum though. I'll play it again when I have the time. Definitely my game of the year so far but I haven't played many new games this year so the competition is light so far: Dragon Age 2 (shit), LA Noire (shit) and Deus Ex (decent).

overcast

BY2K said:
Natural Selection Extreme is a God damn bitch whore.
Fucking this. I hated that one. I now have one more campaign challenge, it's the Predator Master. Hey look what it is? Natural Selection Extreme. Shit.

cackhyena

overcast said:
Side topic: Does anybody know when we should expect a Dark Knight Rises trailer? I'm avoiding the shit out of the spoiler thread.
8 minute long trailer ahead of the new Mission Impossible, but only in IMAX. I think.

suaveric

cackhyena said:
Oh, well there you go. But isn't it only specific IMAX theaters at that?
Yes, for that scene. But around the same time we should be getting the first real trailer for the movie as well, for all theaters.

Gameplay 8.5/10

It is extremely fun and a thoroughly thought out system that you've come to expect from Batman Arkham Asylum. There are some new additions to gameplay to keep things exciting. There is a wealth of content to keep you engaged if you're interested. The bosses also improve dramatically over it's predecesor. However, there are a few kinks that Rocksteady still needs to work out. For example I don't always have total control over who I want to attack in a crowd so I may accidentaly hit someone with a stun baton instead of someone right next to him who was unarmed. Like the previous game I believe Detective mode is unbalanced and offers an unfair advantage. Another minor annoyance that occured with the game is there were sometimes I felt like exploring and completing some of the sidequests but Batman would not stop repeating that I must go somewhere else. It felt the game kept pushing me quickly along the main story which felt was counter intuitive to the massive amounts of sidequests in the game.

Catwoman played well and was a nice change of pace. However, her sequences were so short with inconsistent pacing that it felt a little disconjointed at times. The challenge maps and post game content are fun but leaves a little more to be desired from.
Story 8.0/10

The story is for the most part well written. The story is interesting and I'm sure will please Batman fans. However, there are a few character inconsistencies. Characters act out of character for no given reason and seem to never show this side of their character throughout the plot. There is also one major gaping plot hole that is left unanswered at the end of the game.

Sound 9/10

The voice acting is superb as is the music in this game. I don't see much in the way of issues with these. There was one big flaw that occured occasionally where two or three characters would start talking at the same time meaning that you could miss out on vital information because a thug, Harley and Joker all decided to start talking at the same time.

Graphics 9.5/10
One of the best looking 360 games I've seen. It is truly remarkable with the graphics and what Rocksteady was able to achieve. I marked it down just 0.5 for the rare instance that it froze for a second or two.

Presentation 10/10
The package is remarkable. Rocksteady did a great job in capturing the essence of Batman. They captured the feeling of being Batman much better than any other Batman game before.

Overall 8.5/10

Reviewer's note:
Overall the game was good. The attention of detail and easter eggs Rocksteady threw in will keep fans discovering new things for weeks after. I'll say that this game has a distinctly different feel from AA. While AA had more of a Metroidvania style game with a more focused and compact single player, AC has a slightly more open world style game. It comes down to personal preference what the player might prefer. I feel that Rocksteady should've focused more on the main story than the sidequests. Most of the sidequests are fun but I feel the main quest was a little short and felt like something was missing. The parts missing were the sidequests which filled in a lot of the blanks in the plot. Overall the game gets a passing grade from me. It didn't go above and beyond expectations in any area except for the sidequests but it certainly made measurable advancements over it's predecesor which was a great game as well. I can't wait to see what Rocksteady has planned next.

overcast

suaveric said:
Yes, for that scene. But around the same time we should be getting the first real trailer for the movie as well, for all theaters.
So very similar to TDK style promotion? I'll be there for the trailer, I don't want to see a scene 7 months before. Will watch the movie in Imax.

everyone ready to talk to calendar man tomorrow?
I cheated, already have my achievement. They aren't worth all that effort to go on the day, they are definitely enjoyable but not really substantial. But might as well do it tomorrow, then maybe cheat after :D

suaveric

overcast said:
So very similar to TDK style promotion? I'll be there for the trailer, I don't want to see a scene 7 months before. Will watch the movie in Imax.

I assume that's the plan. We know for sure about the opening scene in front of Mission Impossible. The rest I just based on how things went for the last movie.

Fuck this perfect combo shit!

I do all of the moves but one, and when I'm going to do it, this magic motherfucker either kicks me from 15ft away or ice-skates his ass 30ft to punch me in the back, knocking me out of my combo.

And the trophy description is wrong; it says you can do it in ANY play mode, so I tried it in the custom challenge with the aggressive enemies (so they'd last longer), did it -- miraculously -- and didn't get shit.

Batman is getting upset!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
RyanardoDaVinci said:
Fuck this perfect combo shit!

I do all of the moves but one, and when I'm going to do it, this magic motherfucker either kicks me from 15ft away or ice-skates his ass 30ft to punch me in the back, knocking me out of my combo.

And the trophy description is wrong; it says you can do it in ANY play mode, so I tried it in the custom challenge with the aggressive enemies (so they'd last longer), did it -- miraculously -- and didn't get shit.

Batman is getting upset!
You missed something, all combat moves doesn't include gadgets. Only gadget you need to use is the batclaw but you have to do the batclaw beatdown closeline maneuver. you need to do

Stun
Triple stun
Redirect
Dodge
Ground takedown
regular hit
counter
batclaw slam
stun beatdown
stun jump where you jump up on their head.

Ilive1up said:
everyone ready to talk to calendar man tomorrow?

Yuppers! I was going to cheat, but since Halloween was right around the corner, I figured I might as well do it right.

I recently beat
Solomon Grundy and the Penguin
, damn this game is sogood.gif.

I'm now in the sewers chasing down the League of Assassins.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Does he say something special on holidays? I noticed that the calender near him had holidays circled but I didn't think much of it.

He does --- but I stopped spoiling myself. If you want, it's on youtube or you can find out yourself by manipulating the system's clock

Man I think I really suck at this game. I'm working on Combat Challenges and it's fucking hard as hell for me to just get 3 medals, much less get some of the crazy scores I see in videos or see people posting about. Been trying for like 3 hours on Funhouse Brawl (normal) and my high score is like 31,000. The armored guys and guys with shield break my combo almost every single time.

LAUGHTREY said:
You missed something, all combat moves doesn't include gadgets. Only gadget you need to use is the batclaw but you have to do the batclaw beatdown closeline maneuver. you need to do

Stun
Triple stun
Redirect
Dodge
Ground takedown
regular hit
counter
batclaw slam
stun beatdown
stun jump where you jump up on their head.

THE BEATDOWN!

AAAAUUUUGUUHHGHGHGH!

cpp_is_king said:
Man I think I really suck at this game. I'm working on Combat Challenges and it's fucking hard as hell for me to just get 3 medals, much less get some of the crazy scores I see in videos or see people posting about. Been trying for like 3 hours on Funhouse Brawl (normal) and my high score is like 31,000. The armored guys and guys with shield break my combo almost every single time.
You're probably better than me. I'm only about 15% through the storyline and my Batman looks like crap (two bloody knees, multiple rips, a gunshot hole).

This game still does that thing with as the night progresses you see the suit tearing and stubble and stuff right?

overcast

ChocolateCupcakes said:
This game still does that thing with as the night progresses you see the suit tearing and stubble and stuff right?
Yup, great touch.

Just beat all of the campaign challenges, predator ones were a bitch for the most part. Combat challenges remain simple.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished the game and got all 440 trophies as well as all the sidequests completed.

Good, but didn't enjoy it quite as much as AA. A very worthwhile experience but it will not be my GotY vote.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
ChocolateCupcakes said:
Does he say something special on holidays? I noticed that the calender near him had holidays circled but I didn't think much of it.

he does, but that's it, which is a pity.
would've been so awesome to have a side-quest only available on that specific day and have Calendar Man give you a clue as to where to find the quest.

neorej said:
he does, but that's it, which is a pity.
would've been so awesome to have a side-quest only available on that specific day and have Calendar Man give you a clue as to where to find the quest.

To be fair, there is a PSN trophy / Xbox Achievement for doing it on the 12 holidays.

Top Bottom