• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Tsukumo said:
Try to use as much bat-swarm as you can (x+a on 360). It gives 10 points for every thug you stun, and multiplies that to your score. So if you have 12 hits and use bat-swarm on ten enemies, you get 12X10X10: 1200 points. If you know how to perform critical strikes you will have the possibility to deploy the bat-swarm every three strikes.
Also the gadgets variation bonus works differently than the moves variation bonus, that's to say you don't need to use all of them in one single combo. You only have to use all five of them during the round, which means you should get 2000 points each fight.
Oh, and since we're talking Funhouse Brawl: lieutenants and armored foes are particularly susceptible to REC stuns. Lieutenants will spin at full speed and send flying every thug around them, while armored foes will drop on the floor immediately. Spam the REC as much as you can during that challenge.

What is REC exactly? I'm about to start knocking out the combat challenges.

bubnbob said:
Got Perfect Knight last night... so burnt out to even care about Catwoman. Moving on...

Question. Do you need to complete all sidequests on New Game+ as well or is completing them all on your first playthrough enough? Could save me some time as I'm blazing through New Game+ right now.

bubnbob said:
You have to do all the sidequests again.
So are riddles solved the only thing that carries over in terms of completion?
StevePharma said:
Thanks for clarifying.

Fuck You Rocksteady
Why is that a bad thing? The sidequests are fun and often involve their own combat/predator scenarios which'll also get remixed (so you'd probably WANT to be able to replay them).

badcrumble said:
So are riddles solved the only thing that carries over in terms of completion?

I guess. I was also hoping I could sequence break some of the stuff but that wouldn't make sense story wise so I wasn't able to do it.
:-(

badcrumble said:
Why is that a bad thing? The sidequests are fun and often involve their own combat/predator scenarios which'll also get remixed (so you'd probably WANT to be able to replay them).

"The one thing that I don't like about Arkham City is that there is almost too much shit to do."

Just joking though. I'm probably a little burned out of the Bat for now. Maybe I should come back to it later and just focus on Riddler's Revenge.

hertog said:
(sometimes a bit sluggish, and you can't control your jumps and flight very well at times)

YOU can't control your jumps and flights very well at times. Speak for yourself bruv, cause I make that shit look good!!

GQman2121 said:
So they make you do the side quests twice.....? What about the Riddler stuff?
My guess is that the riddles and stuff would be solved but you'd have to redo the actual Riddler hostage rescue bits.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
GQman2121 said:
So they make you do the side quests twice.....? What about the Riddler stuff?

badcrumble said:
My guess is that the riddles and stuff would be solved but you'd have to redo the actual Riddler hostage rescue bits.
Exactly right, on my NG+ the first thing I did was take out the Riddler. So satisfying.

I've been doing the Catwoman challenges for the past few days. Perfect Knight Day 2 wasn't as hard as the first game for sure, but jesus they really make up for it in the Catwoman Predator rooms.

At least with Batman you have all the gadgets to take care of the bad guys, split them up and take them out one at a time, for Catwoman you just sort of had to stand there and wait for them to separate. Her thief vision sucks, you can only see bad guys not mines or armor. It's a huuuge pain in the ass. But I like the challenge.

GQman2121

Banned
badcrumble said:
Those aren't a big deal, but I was hoping to blaze through the campaign for NG+ trophy. Oh, well. It'll have to wait until after U3 I suppose.

Yen

Is there a Halloween specific
Calender Man
event? I've only just met him once, after the end, as Catwoman.

the chris

Yenrot said:
Is there a Halloween specific
Calender Man
event? I've only just met him once, after the end, as Catwoman.
Yea, he has some dialogue concerning Halloween if you talk to him today. Same for all the major holidays...well major holidays like Christmas, and American holidays like Thanksgiving.

Yen

the chris said:
Yea, he has some dialogue concerning Halloween if you talk to him today. Same for all the major holidays...well major holidays like Christmas, and American holidays like Thanksgiving.
So I should run away and do a mission and come back in the hope he's ready to chat?
Thanks.
Also, I didn't watch the credits
it would seem I've missed something :(

While Im close to finishing my first playthough (should be finished tonight in time for UC3), and while Xenoblade is more than likely going to be my personal GOTY, I really hope AIAS gives the Game of the Year award to this one. Rocksteady really skullfucked and trumped the term "sophomore slump" about as perfect as ND did with Uncharted 2 and Ubi did with AssCreed 2. Lets not forget that in 2009, it was mainly Uncharted 2 against Batman: AA for the GOTY spots, particularly for the AIAS and of course, UC2 came out the victor. I have a feeling it's going to be the same matchup this year (Arkham City vs UC3) and I truly hope AC succeeds.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yenrot said:
So I should run away and do a mission and come back in the hope he's ready to chat?
Thanks.
Also, I didn't watch the credits
it would seem I've missed something :(
I think you may need to talk to him as Batman.

IMO, one issue with Arkham City's story was it's need to cram in as many villains as possible, while still trying to keep the focus on Joker and Strange. It led a lot of characters popping up for a cutscene, or for a couple of minutes before disappearing again. The sidequests helped in this regard, but even then it felt like a lot of villains didn't realise their full potential, e.g.
Harvey Dent more or less bookending the start and the finish, despite his thugs appearing throughout the game. Also, Poison Ivy's odd cameo.

Arkham Asylum got around this by concentrating on a few villains, while having many others either hinted at or in optional cameos. (Fries' chamber, Clayface and Dent's cell, etc.)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
exarkun said:
hey guys, how do I apply the batman forever suit I just dl'd? Thanks in advance.

I didnt know there was a Forever suit in it.. Either way you can only use in challenges and new game plus

Edit* you should have to select which batman you want to use when you first start/continue NG+

exarkun

Trin3785 said:
I didnt know there was a Forever suit in it.. Either way you can only use in challenges and new game plus

Edit* you should have to select which batman you want to use when you first start/continue NG+

Oooops meant Batman Beyond. Awww and you can't use the skin in the regular campaign?

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
IMO, one issue with Arkham City's story was it's need to cram in as many villains as possible, while still trying to keep the focus on Joker and Strange. It led a lot of characters popping up for a cutscene, or for a couple of minutes before disappearing again. The sidequests helped in this regard, but even then it felt like a lot of villains didn't realise their full potential, e.g.
Harvey Dent more or less bookending the start and the finish, despite his thugs appearing throughout the game. Also, Poison Ivy's odd cameo.

Arkham Asylum got around this by concentrating on a few villains, while having many others either hinted at or in optional cameos. (Fries' chamber, Clayface and Dent's cell, etc.)
I thought I wouldn't like this game being crammed with villains either but it made sense given the story. I liked the idea of all the villains being in one city all off doing their own thing and hearing from thugs about what the villains are planning, doing or what other villains they had conflict with.

The only thing I didn't like was Two Face not being used enough (but maybe that was because I didn't have the Catwoman DLC) and
Clayface popped up out of freaking nowhere.

Sporran

Absolutely awesome game but gutted. Got to the end fmv and for some reason i had no sound for the entire clip, doesnt look like there is a replay option either :(

Balls.

Loved it though, the music is top notch!

Labadal

Got the game today. Really enjoying what I have played so far. The controls for both characters are solid, and the fights are fun enough. Love the design of the game + the soundtrack and voice acting are top notch. Only complaint so far is the camera in some situations, and the City feels a little empty. I also wish Rocksteady would have made new tapes for the Villains, but there's enough side content, I guess.

Doomrider

Labadal said:
Got the game today. Really enjoying what I have played so far. The controls for both characters are solid, and the fights are fun enough. Love the design of the game + the soundtrack and voice acting are top notch. Only complaint so far is the camera in some situations, and the City feels a little empty. I also wish Rocksteady would have made new tapes for the Villains, but there's enough side content, I guess.
There's a good number of tapes to unlock for some of the characters. You just have to complete rows of Riddler challenges or solve some riddles. I'd say it's worth it.

Labadal said:

Explain. I never had a shortage of thugs to beat up for XP. The city definitley doesnt feel empty to me whatsoever. Theres always assualts to look for, sidequests to take down and XP to gain via riddler challenges. The city may not be gargantuan to the likes of San Andreas, but it certainly isnt empty to me by any means. If anything its dense as hell.

Yen

Labadal said:
There's three or four sets of tapes.

Anyway, how do I reach
Two Face in the museum
after the credits?

Doomrider

Yenrot said:
There's three or four sets of tapes.

Anyway, how do I reach
Two Face in the museum
after the credits?

When you arrive in the torture chamber (the shark room), use the door on the right. To get there, use Catwoman's crawling ability.

exarkun

anyone experience freezing? I'm in the bell tower and when I try to jump out it just freezes and won't continue. Am I boned?

Its on a PS3 btw.

Labadal

JumpingTheGun said:
Explain. I never had a shortage of thugs to beat up for XP. The city definitley doesnt feel empty to me whatsoever. Theres always assualts to look for, sidequests to take down and XP to gain via riddler challenges. The city may not be gargantuan to the likes of San Andreas, but it certainly isnt empty to me by any means. If anything its dense as hell.

I don't know. I'm on high ground 90% of the time, maybe I should start exploring the streets more. I'm also not actively looking for Riddler challenges, since I want to save stuff when I'm done with the story. I'm not very far into the game (I think).
Looking for Mr. Freeze

Edit: No freezing for me, also on PS3.

Labadal said:
I don't know. I'm on high ground 90% of the time, maybe I should start exploring the streets more. I'm also not actively looking for Riddler challenges, since I want to save stuff when I'm done with the story. I'm not very far into the game (I think).
Looking for Mr. Freeze

Edit: No freezing for me, also on PS3.
If you are really hurting for exp, which you get plenty and can complete the main game with no problem, the side quests, especially the riddler ones, give you tons

Vol5

Finished the main story tonight. I just feel like starting it up again because there's so many great moments and subtle touches. I'm having trouble thinking of a game I've enjoyed more this year. NG+ demands my attention.

Played well in 3D also. There's some oddities like subtitles and certain surfaces becoming warped, but the illusion of depth was decent enough.

Thank fuck for PS3 auto-save and online storage though. My save game got corrupt so had to recover
at the final mission to save Talia!

exarkun

how do I know if the Save game is corrupted? will it tell me?

I'm trying to figure out why my copy is freezing, already re-installed the game data twice, though this time I'm going to try and do it without installing catwoman.

Lakitu

st5fu
exarkun said:
how do I know if the Save game is corrupted? will it tell me?

On the save, it'll save 'Save Corrupt' and it'll ask you to delete it if you select it.

In other news.

I can't seem to get out of the Steel Mill. I'm just stuck there. I went back in to collect some more trophies. The front exit is blocked because a tunnel collapsed, and the back exit through the cooling exit is unreachable because the current is coming towards me and I'm not able to use the freeze blast and move over there. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: Derp. I just had to grapple to get to a door.

overcast

Doomrider said:
There's a good number of tapes to unlock for some of the characters. You just have to complete rows of Riddler challenges or solve some riddles. I'd say it's worth it.
Definitely worth it, the tapes are great just like the last one.

Well, I think I'll wait until I get through the other big games before I start up NG+. Might as well play it later so it's more fresh. I've only played this game for 2 weeks now.

Argh, this game has too many gadgets.

So many times I miss out on opportunities to use the ability to hop up onto the line-launcher wire, simply by virtue of the fact that I've forgotten I even have it.

Vire

Hey folks, just a reminded to visit Calendar Man for a Halloween story today!

(And it goes towards the achievement).

I just did it now. :)

Lakitu

st5fu
Vire said:
Hey folks, just a reminded to visit Calendar Man for a Halloween story today!

(And it goes towards the achievement).

I just did it now. :)

Yeah I visited him today, it was neat. So, do you only get the achievement when you have visited him on all the dates on the calendar?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
All the dates on the calendar right next to him anyway. I just set my xbox to offline mode and did all of them except halloween, and just did halloween like normal today so I could get the achievement.

It seriously wasn't worth holding on to the game and remembering to visit for a year for that, he just tells you a lame little story every time and then he's gone.

It seems like a trick to get you to hold on to your game for a year so you don't sell it to gamestop or something.

How do you get more Riddler informants to spawn? The only side-quest I have left is the final Riddler challenge, and I want to completely populate the map with the markers before I start going after them all.

Doomrider

overcast said:
Definitely worth it, the tapes are great just like the last one.

Well, I think I'll wait until I get through the other big games before I start up NG+. Might as well play it later so it's more fresh. I've only played this game for 2 weeks now.

Yeah, and they're the only way to hear more of Strange, who could've been such a fascinating character... I love the way he toys with
the Riddler
, for instance. Lots of insight to be had. And then there's the fact that the voice acting is top notch.

As other have pointed out previously, NG+ is a bit disappointing, mainly because it's almost the same experience. The increased difficulty and different enemy configurations don't make things that interesting. On the other hand,
Freeze's
fight is hard. And awesome.

re: Calendar Man. It was cool, but disappointingly short. Still, and I know I've said this a few times, the voice acting is really, really good.

FHIZ

Lakitu said:
Yeah I visited him today, it was neat. So, do you only get the achievement when you have visited him on all the dates on the calendar?

basically yeah. if you are diligent and don't fudge around with the internal clock of your system, you'll get the achievement on Labor Day 2012 (sep. 3rd) after going there on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines, St. Patrick's, April Fools, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Fourth of July, August 16th, prior to labor day.

Replicant

Lakitu said:

What dates? And how many times do I need to visit him?

EDIT:

FHIZ said:
basically yeah. if you are diligent and don't fudge around with the internal clock of your system, you'll get the achievement on Labor Day 2012 (sep. 3rd) after going there on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines, St. Patrick's, April Fools, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Fourth of July, August 16th, prior to labor day.

0_o; That's too much crazy just for an achievement/trophy. Even fudging with the clock is too much effort.

overcast

Doomrider said:
Yeah, and they're the only way to hear more of Strange, who could've been such a fascinating character... I love the way he toys with
the Riddler
, for instance. Lots of insight to be had. And then there's the fact that the voice acting is top notch.

As other have pointed out previously, NG+ is a bit disappointing, mainly because it's almost the same experience. The increased difficulty and different enemy configurations don't make things that interesting. On the other hand,
Freeze's
fight is hard. And awesome.

re: Calendar Man. It was cool, but disappointingly short. Still, and I know I've said this a few times, the voice acting is really, really good.
Yup, I love that
Strange is such a sick bastard. He is just doing disgusting experiments on these people, he's just like them. Loved the back and forth between him and the Riddler. Riddler exposed him, then Strange got him back

I'm expecting a pretty difficult challenge in NG+ to be honest, I hope I can pull it off without getting too frustrated.

That's why I don't think people should wait until each holiday for Calender Man. It's too brief and not substantial enough for the waiting. They are interesting, but you might as well set your internal clock to the dates and do it that way.

Top Bottom