• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

overcast

Corky said:
So gaf, as a plebeian pc-gamer who can't even play the game, what is the general overall (Gaf) consensus of AA vs AC?
I think this game improved in almost every way. Like somebody said earlier, it doesn't have that "wow" factor of the first one. It doesn't have that metroidvania feel of the first one, but I love the feel.

Overall, the consensus seems to be split on which is better here. This game is pretty much unanimously praised overall though.

watershed

Banned
I've just started this game yesterday, maybe played an hour or so. I have no idea what to do with the riddler symbols on the floor. Do I just stand on them? And the ones that are under a little dome, what do I do with those? Help please!

overcast

artwalknoon said:
I've just started this game yesterday, maybe played an hour or so. I have no idea what to do with the riddler symbols on the floor. Do I just stand on them? And the ones that are under a little dome, what do I do with those? Help please!
You won't be able to do most of them without certain upgrades.

Hint: since you just started, I recommend you do the first 3 AR challenges as they give you a great upgrade.

artwalknoon said:
Riddler symbols? Do you mean those buttons? Every cage opens by solving the puzzle around it. With detective mode you can usually see how the cage is linked to a certain mechanic.

If their are buttons nearby with riddler symbols you can stand on them and they will light up. As soon as you touch the ground when you get off a button it will be disabled again. The goal is to press all the nearby buttons without touching the ground.

If you are not talking about the buttons and only see a question mark you have to search for the dot which is in a completely different place and line it up with the question mark.

For some riddles you need more gadgets, so don't sweat it for now.

artwalknoon said:
Essentially yes you stand on them but usually you have to do them in a certain order or they are timed. The riddler symbols unlock the domes with the riddler trophy under them.

watershed

Banned
Okay thanks for the help! Now I won't be so lost as to what to do. True story, I completely forgot detective mode even existed until the part where the game tells you to use it.

GQman2121

Banned
artwalknoon said:

The fun is figuring that out!

Seriously, if you just started the game ignore them. You don't have the gear for most of them anyway. It's hard when you're starting out, but try to fight it and hold off.

zam

Palette Swap said:
I'm by no means a combat expert but this has allowed me to 3 star every combat challenge without too much trouble. YMMV and other people probably do things differently but here's what I do: ..
Yeah I've been doing those as well, though I guess I shouldn't be using the B+Y on regular grunts, I thought since it was 50 points X combo multiplier it was a good idea, but I think that may acutally be a waste since I could get higher combos off of those guys instead of instantly dispatching them.

Also since I saw some video posted in the thread where the guy just kept his freeflow focus going, I figured that might be a good route.

Didn't know about about ultra stun on regular guys putting them on the ground, and here I have been using the B -> XXXX on the last guy since I rarely get an enemy on the ground at the end. Will start putting that to good use.

By the way, do the counter indication show up in the Extreme Combat challenges? Thought they didn't but the video in this thread I mentioned was labeled "extreme" and there were counter indicators in that one

Palette Swap said:
As for your DLC suggestions, yes please !
The game has actually managed to make me excited about
a Hush episode. Which is a feat in itself considering even Jim Lee never made me excited about Hush. The way this side quest ends, I can picture it being an expansion rather than a new game. The Azrael stuff on the other hand definitely seems to foreshadow a third game. That seems a lot bigger.
Yeah I'm really looking forward to more
Hush and Azrael. Though I didn't really see the point in revealing Hush's identity right away. That was the whole appeal of Hush to me. Then again the people who know the comics already know who Hush is, so then again I guess trying to make his identity secret would make less sense.

I actually liked
Batman: Hush
, but then again I so rarely read the Batman ongoing comic book, and
Hush
was one of the first Batman comic books I ever read, most of the Batman I've read after are graphic novels, such as Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, TDKR, Killing Joke etc. Also IMO, TDKR is
kinda overrated

I don't even know who Azrael is, though he looked cool in this game and I liked the mystery of him just watching you

And I liked the Nightwing DLC, even though it was just challenge rooms, woulda really liked to see how he would manuever through Arkham City since in this game his moving is kinda like a mix of Batman and Catwoman. His predator challenges were more fun than Catwoman's, mostly cause he could grapple away and had more gadgets than her. Though it seems kinda weird that he has a grapple and was Batman's apprentice for all those years, yet Batman never taught him how to do an inverted takedown :p

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Essentially yes you stand on them but usually you have to do them in a certain order or they are timed.
Or you can't touch the ground in between stepping on each riddler pad.

Edit: Btw, is there any way to get ahold of the in-game music? All the Arkham City Album had was a buncha songs from other artists, I want the actual soundtrack.

Apdiddy

I just beat the game on Normal (which means I'm a wimp, but not as wimpy as on Easy) and it is glorious. I will definitely go through NG+.

I actually liked the ending...although I'm not convinced that Ra's & Talia or even Dr. Strange are really dead unless Clayface falling into the Lazarus Pit destroyed the only one. Which might be interesting for the third game if you fight a Lazarus Pit-infused Clayface.

The combat was a little tougher than on Batman: AA and it was definitely more varied and interesting than Batman: AA. I somewhat think the side mission/conclusions for Hush and Azrael hinted either at DLC or something for Batman: AC2/third Rocksteady Batman game. I remember Azrael being the replacement Batman in Knightfall...which I hope he doesn't show up in the next game as a playable character.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
How could you not be convinced
Strange is dead, the stabbing, the death wheezes, the absolutely incinerated corpse?

Apdiddy

SpeedingUptoStop said:
How could you not be convinced
Strange is dead, the stabbing, the death wheezes, the absolutely incinerated corpse?

Well, now that you mention it....
if Strange got burned up, yeah he won't be back. I also just remembered Ra's saying that Dr. Strange "served his purpose" so that pretty much closes it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Apdiddy said:
Well, now that you mention it....
if Strange got burned up, yeah he won't be back. I also just remembered Ra's saying that Dr. Strange "served his purpose" so that pretty much closes it.
Yea,
dude mos def got burnt up, Batman only pushed Ra's out the window. Strange is one crispy mofo right now

Predator Extreme or whatever the group of 3 challenges in Campaign is called is soooo annoying.

I get there with 3 retries and there always manages to be some AI glitch so that they kill me. RAGEEEEE.

KevinCow

Banned
zam said:
Or you can't touch the ground in between stepping on each riddler pad.
I played through the entire damn game before I figured this out. I just figured that at some point, I'd get a device that could hold them down or something. But nope, just a game of The Floor Is Lava.

Man, I wish I could play it right now and finish collecting all the trophies. I'd kill for some sort of portable version. I would literally preorder a Vita just for this game if they announced it was coming.

Mr. Sam

KevinCow said:
I played through the entire damn game before I figured this out. I just figured that at some point, I'd get a device that could hold them down or something. But nope, just a game of The Floor Is Lava.

I've had this game for a fortnight and only now I find this out? It's too bloody late now; I've moved onto Uncharted.

Beat the game :). Still gotta do the New Game Plus but for right now I'm working on the Riddler challenges and hostages and the Combat Challenges. I can never 3 star any of the challenges though..so getting all 180 of them will probably never happen with me.

Edit: I'm at I believe 208ish out of 420 on the Riddler Challenges...Got all the ones done for Amusement Mile.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yea,
dude mos def got burnt up, Batman only pushed Ra's out the window. Strange is one crispy mofo right now

There's always the Lazarus Pit..I'm sure Joker will be using that with aid from Harley

Regarding predator challenges...

How the heck do I get the medal for doing a takedown through glass in Mr. Freeze's lab? I did it through ceiling/floor glass twice, and it didn't work. I tried waiting for an enemy to walk in front of glass with me on the other side, but I never got a prompt for a takedown. I can't figure it out.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
TangoAlphaLima said:

How the heck do I get the medal for doing a takedown through glass in Mr. Freeze's lab? I did it through ceiling/floor glass twice, and it didn't work. I tried waiting for an enemy to walk in front of glass with me on the other side, but I never got a prompt for a takedown. I can't figure it out.

You have to be
good

TangoAlphaLima said:
Suuuuuuper helpful. I'll have to try that.
To be fair he is right, its not hard. If your not getting a takedown notification the guy your trying to take down isnt close enough.

Its not rocket science really.

StalkerUKCG said:
To be fair he is right, its not hard. If your not getting a takedown notification the guy your trying to take down isnt close enough.

Its not rocket science really.

Shit, so I enrolled in that rocket science class for no reason? Better see if I can get a refund.

I guess this is what I get for asking a question on the internet. A bunch of snarky responses from trolls.

RPGCrazied

New game plus

About a boss.

Seems to me Mr. Freeze has more HP? So, I've ran out ways to harm him, he has adapted to everything it seems. ;/ I've sneaked behind him, came out of the grates, used the zipline, used the button to power up the broke cable and electrify him. Got him through a window. I've used the weapon jammer, I've used the electric motor things on the wall.

TangoAlphaLima said:

Leave it until the last guy and use the window on the far side of the room (based on where you start off) - the little room with the concrete wall. Chuck a sonic batarang inside that room and his path will usually take him close enough to the window.

vixlar

TangoAlphaLima said:

You must
make a takedown trough a window. You must stand near a windows, and when an enemy gets close to it on the other side, the Y icon appears (triangle in PS3) and voila. It makes noise, so after you do it... run!!!!

impirius

RPGCrazied said:
New game plus

About a boss.

Seems to me Mr. Freeze has more HP? So, I've ran out ways to harm him, he has adapted to everything it seems. ;/ I've sneaked behind him, came out of the grates, used the zipline, used the button to power up the broke cable and electrify him. Got him through a window. I've used the weapon jammer, I've used the electric motor things on the wall.
Explosive gel, glide kick, drop attack... can't think of anything else.

Curufinwe

Palette Swap said:
- Have a nice finish: if you've kept your meter up, a ground takedown will rake you a lot of points. When there's only one enemy left, ultra stun him (B>B>B), that will send him to the ground and do a ground takedown, which will net you 75 x your combo count.

Great tip. I had no idea BBB would knock a regular enemy down so he could be ground pounded.

Concept17

Just got this from a friend and I need to ask - is there any benefit to playing the game on Hard? I only see a trophy for New Game+ so I figured if anything I could change it over to hard on a second playthrough?

Hard seems much more difficult than in AA.

Curufinwe said:
I'm still having trouble with the knife enemies, but hopefully I'll get the hang of the timing soon.
The knife counter isn't that hard considering the game gives you a micro-second to do the Y+back move. Or you could just break them. Another option is to try and be faster than them by attacking the knife holding guys.

Re: armored guys, I've come to terms with them and now start by beating them down (the B > XXX move). I thought it would be way harder to do in the middle of a crowd but it really isn't. There's room for countering in the middle of the beatdown and getting back to it (or restarting it). It's a great way to have the combo meter go up.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention: if a particular enemy is trouble, you can freeze him (RT RT). That works wonders to isolate a single pesky guy.

Barrett2

Early in the game, im' tracking temperature to find Mr. Freeze. Went over to the area, not sure how to get into the building..?

lawblob said:
Early in the game, im' tracking temperature to find Mr. Freeze. Went over to the area, not sure how to get into the building..?
Kill all the guys there, then somewhere there on the front side of the building is one of those electric thingies which you have to shoot a REC on to open the door.

Barrett2

Prophet Steve said:
Kill all the guys there, then somewhere there on the front side of the building is one of those electric thingies which you have to shoot a REC on to open the door.

I did that, but it only opened 1ft. I tried shooting it multiple times, didn't do anything.

Kinyou

56f98245fcb012c9da9f4ba051358997.jpg

Btw. do you get anything special for 100% the game aside from the achievment?

Salmonax

Am I missing the way to permanently disable the Catwoman DLC advertisement every single time I start the game up? I'm certain they didn't design it that way but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Salmonax said:
Am I missing the way to permanently disable the Catwoman DLC advertisement every single time I start the game up? I'm certain they didn't design it that way but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.
Oh yes, they did design it that way.

Just finished this, was a damn good game. Some good villains and one of the side quests i was like "what in the holly hell!" bit Scarcrowish.

overcast

Palette Swap said:
The knife counter isn't that hard considering the game gives you a micro-second to do the Y+back move. Or you could just break them. Another option is to try and be faster than them by attacking the knife holding guys.

Re: armored guys, I've come to terms with them and now start by beating them down (the B > XXX move). I thought it would be way harder to do in the middle of a crowd but it really isn't. There's room for countering in the middle of the beatdown and getting back to it (or restarting it). It's a great way to have the combo meter go up.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention: if a particular enemy is trouble, you can freeze him (RT RT). That works wonders to isolate a single pesky guy.
Yeah, this can't be said enough. This makes it so simple to get a great score.

Lol @ comic. That is what happens every time.

Struggling on a trophy!

The Two for One DA Special- I am in the area with lots of bars ans strip clubs but everything I scan comes up empty

Secondly the "Betting on something something, and now the family is flying SOlo in the Amusement Alley"

Any help out there?!

Mecha_Infantry said:
Struggling on a trophy!

The Two for One DA Special- I am in the area with lots of bars ans strip clubs but everything I scan comes up empty

Secondly the "Betting on something something, and now the family is flying SOlo in the Amusement Alley"

Any help out there?!
Ooo the flying Solo thing has to do with Robin I believe. And there is a poster (pretty big) behind a building for a High Flying trapeeze act. Dont remember exactly where...

Top Bottom