• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

watershed

Banned
Just started this game today, really liking it so far. So far it feels like an improvement over AA in every way although I am getting confused by the controls a bit. Don't know if the controls have changed from AA or if its just been a while since I've played.

artwalknoon said:
Just started this game today, really liking it so far. So far it feels like an improvement over AA in every way although I am getting confused by the controls a bit. Don't know if the controls have changed from AA or if its just been a while since I've played.

There are changes for the better

watershed

Banned
BeautifulMemory said:
There are changes for the better
I haven't gotten used to it but I'm not sure what's changed either. Its like my muscle memory wants to do one thing but the game wants me to do another.

Lakitu

st5fu
The controls are confusing at first. No doubt about it. It took me around an hour to get used to them. Now they feel very nice though.

artwalknoon said:
I haven't gotten used to it but I'm not sure what's changed either. Its like my muscle memory wants to do one thing but the game wants me to do another.

The changes actually aren't that many. Most stay the same. You will get used to it soon =D

Sean

Banned
Ramirez said:
Man, I feel like they really went overboard with the Riddler stuff, I want to get them all, but I've been poopsocking this game and still only have like 230 of them. :( How many do I need for the 5th hostage to open up?

Yeah they did go overboard with those. I think you need around 320 for the fifth hostage, and ~380/400 to take down Riddler once and for all. Luckily you don't need to obtain all 400 unless you really want the 100%.

watership said:
So I guess I have to do a whole new game or slog through a new game plus? Ugh.

You can get this achievement right from the start of NewGame+ since you'll already have all your gadgets (Batarang).

Hi guys, I don't know if it's been asked already but I am struggling to find the last Titan Box which is in the Steel Mill. I've been all over the place even right on top of the marker and I can't find it still, which leads me to believe it's under the ground somewhere?

Can anyone give me some assistance? Cheers

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Mecha_Infantry said:
Hi guys, I don't know if it's been asked already but I am struggling to find the last Titan Box which is in the Steel Mill. I've been all over the place even right on top of the marker and I can't find it still, which leads me to believe it's under the ground somewhere?

IIRC
it's in the basement

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Mecha_Infantry said:
Thanks, will keep looking

If you need to know how to get to the basement-level of the Steel Mill, just let me know.

where can I find bigger / more pics of your avatar?

-Stranger-

Mecha_Infantry said:

I had the same trouble, it's actually in the building of the steel mill.
You can access it from the bottom left corner of the building (facing south), there is a door there.

-Stranger-

I need some help with the boss battle

When you fight Joker to get the cure back

I've managed to take out the hammer guy and got the Titan guy twice got hit though.
How many times do i need to ride him, any valuable tips? (i'm on hard mode btw)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
-Stranger- said:
I need some help with the boss battle

When you fight Joker to get the cure back

I've managed to take out the hammer guy and got the Titan guy twice got hit though.
How many times do i need to ride him, any valuable tips? (i'm on hard mode btw)
IIRC the titan has to be ridden three times. Concentrate on him as soon as he enters the fray. Use him to take down the Hammer-bro. Hammer should go down in the second rodeo-ride if you can focus the titan on him long enough.
Also, use the circular bat-knockout thingy to provide yourself with enough time to superstun the titan without baddies interfering.

Rlan

Question -- there are some places which can be broken, mostly wooden boards, but are too high to put explosive stuff onto them. So how do I break these?

mandiller

Garrus Vakarian said:
Price just got raised to $100 USD on Steam for Australians -__-

Good thing I bought it when it was $39 then
3AQmK.gif

You need to buy these games as soon as they show up (provided you actually do want it). Publishers keep jacking up the price later on when they realise they need to set a different price for Australia.

linzin said:
I assume you're talking about the freeze cluster. It's in the Steel Mill, down the elevator. When you un-gag Harley, she talks about tech Joker stole from Mr. Freeze, and you can access the freight elevator from the Loading Bay.

I feel exactly the same way about trophies. Why am I doing this? But... can't... stop...

That's exactly it. Thank you. I'll be working on it tonight!

RPGCrazied

Slowly getting there, 309 trophies. How in the hell in the collapsed streets do you get this trophy.
Its sitting on top a breakable wall. How do you use the gel gun on that? It's like surrounded by a gate. I tried using the zip line, make a walk rope, and get close, but can't use any gadgets on the rope.

Sh0k

RPGCrazied said:
Slowly getting there, 309 trophies. How in the hell in the collapsed streets do you get this trophy.
Its sitting on top a breakable wall. How do you use the gel gun on that? It's like surrounded by a gate. I tried using the zip line, make a walk rope, and get close, but can't use any gadgets on the rope.

Use the zip line and when you are close to the breakable wall, change direction with the zip line. If you do it right, Batman will flip in the air and break the wall. After that get your Batclaw and pull the trophy down.

LosDaddie

Banned
thetrin said:
You don't have to do those right away. The game is just drawing your attention to it. Do it at your own pace.

Thanks! I just concentrated on the main story last night.

I got the first Riddler Hostage cheevo, and that's pretty much all I care about. I like the game, but I'm not going to hunt for all 400 of them.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So gaf, as a plebeian pc-gamer who can't even play the game, what is the general overall (Gaf) consensus of AA vs AC?

RPGCrazied

I like AC more. More to do. More open. Not cramped inside a cave or room. Not to say there isn't that in AC, but you are outside more often then not. Plus the side missions AC has over AA. I just think its a better game.

linzin said:
I assume you're talking about the freeze cluster. It's in the Steel Mill, down the elevator. When you un-gag Harley, she talks about tech Joker stole from Mr. Freeze, and you can access the freight elevator from the Loading Bay.

I missed this, I just finished this part is it too late to go back and get it?

LosDaddie

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
440 :p Yeah, they do take time. Specially if you don't use a walkthru.

What walkthrough are you using? I'm looking for one, but just for the main story & sidequests.

Corky said:
So gaf, as a plebeian pc-gamer who can't even play the game, what is the general overall (Gaf) consensus of AA vs AC?

I'm about 5hrs into AC and while it is a better game than AA, it doesn't have the WOW-factor that AA had. That's expected with a sequel though. And again, I'm only 5hrs into the game. I'm still getting the "feel" of the game down

Sh0k said:
Use the zip line and when you are close to the breakable wall, change direction with the zip line. If you do it right, Batman will flip in the air and break the wall. After that get your Batclaw and pull the trophy down.
While this may work, it's not the designed solution.

Glide towards it from the opposite side, and then grapple boost up through the ceiling.

ultron87

Can the Catwoman stuff integrate into an already started game? Or would I need to restart?

I borrowed the game from a friend to try it out and am approximately 2 hours into a non-Catwoman save. I then decided to just buy the game.

ultron87 said:
Can the Catwoman stuff integrate into an already started game? Or would I need to restart?

I borrowed the game from a friend to try it out and am approximately 2 hours into a non-Catwoman save. I then decided to just buy the game.

2 hours? I'd replay it, specifically for
the intro scene played as Catwoman
. May not be THAT big a deal for you though.

LosDaddie said:
What walkthrough are you using? I'm looking for one, but just for the main story & sidequests.

I'm about 5hrs into AC and while it is a better game than AA, it doesn't have the WOW-factor that AA had. That's expected with a sequel though. And again, I'm only 5hrs into the game. I'm still getting the "feel" of the game down
Theres a very thorough guide on gamesradar. Very detailed and easy to use

AEREC

LosDaddie said:

A walk through seriously isnt needed for the Riddler challenges...all you have to do is interrogate the green highlighted enemies when you see one, and locations show up on the map.

The game does have a ton of things to find, but they make them incredibly easy to find.

vixlar

AEREC said:
A walk through seriously isnt needed for the Riddler challenges...all you have to do is interrogate the green highlighted enemies when you see one, and locations show up on the map.

The game does have a ton of things to find, but they make them incredibly easy to find.

This. That's what I like about both Batman games. You don't need a guide to get 100%. You can do it with a little patience and observation. And some (un)common sense.

Anybody have a suggestion where to find bad guys who have explosives to throw at me? My last Riddler challenge is the physical one that requires you to hit the explosive with a batarang before the enemy throws it, but I can't find any. Were there explosives in the
Museum pit, I haven't looked there yet
?

TangoAlphaLima said:
Anybody have a suggestion where to find bad guys who have explosives to throw at me? My last Riddler challenge is the physical one that requires you to hit the explosive with a batarang before the enemy throws it, but I can't find any. Were there explosives in the
?

Down the street from the
Monarach Theater
there are a group of thugs. One of them is usually doing push-ups and they are right by a fire extinguisher.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
LosDaddie said:

Yeah I kinda suspected this would be the case, but nonetheless I'll be enjoying it like crazy :)

Ok so just started playing and did I miss part of a cut scene at the beginning? Why was Bruce Wayne arrested as he went up to speak at the podium? They never explained it, unless I missed something.

Honestly, except for some of the physical challenges and maybe the CCTV relays, I didn't feel the trophy hunting required a guide.
Once you've maxed out interrogating the Riddler guys, it's a lot easier.

TangoAlphaLima said:
?
Isn't there a canister the guys in front of the courthouse will use?

Palette Swap said:
Honestly, except for some of the physical challenges and maybe the CCTV relays, I didn't feel the trophy hunting required a guide.
Once you've maxed out interrogating the Riddler guys, it's a lot easier.

Isn't there a canister the guys in front of the courthouse will use?

I tried the courthouse, but no enemy grabbed a canister.

Re: the CCTV relays. Even they aren't too difficult, as they're always on rooftops, and the Riddler challenge page tells you which areas they're in.

vixlar

bucknuticus said:
Ok so just started playing and did I miss part of a cut scene at the beginning? Why was Bruce Wayne arrested as he went up to speak at the podium? They never explained it, unless I missed something.

Because he was running a movement against Arkham City. He is a political prisoner. You learn more of the history as you do the riddles. (I love that)

vixlar said:
Because he was running a movement against Arkham City. He is a political prisoner. You learn more of the history as you do the riddles. (I love that)

Ah ok, was just really confused as to why he was arrested and they did nothing to explain it. I was expecting like a news story cut scene to pop up about it.

zam

Fucking love this game. Already got all the Riddler stuff and done New Game+, I only wish there was more missions and things to do in Arkham City. Hoping that the next game or the Arkham City Episodes have something to do with
Hush

Does anyone have any good tips for the Extreme Combat Challenges? I managed to get the normal ones without too much trouble, had to retry a couple ones, but I've been using instant takedowns as soon as I get them every time. From reading this thread maybe I shouldn't be doing that. Is it basically get the combo as high as it can go and keeping the Freeflow Focus, and occasionally using the disarm & destroy when they have weapons? Should I use a Bat Swarm once when I get the first x5 combo, or be doing it all the time? I'm just looking to get the score medals, not really going for topping the leaderboards or getting crazy high scores..

zam said:
Fucking love this game. Already got all the Riddler stuff and done New Game+, I only wish there was more missions and things to do in Arkham City. Hoping that the next game or the Arkham City Episodes have something to do with
Hush

Does anyone have any good tips for the Extreme Combat Challenges? I managed to get the normal ones without too much trouble, had to retry a couple ones, but I've been using instant takedowns as soon as I get them every time. From reading this thread maybe I shouldn't be doing that. Is it basically get the combo as high as it can go and keeping the Freeflow Focus, and occasionally using the disarm & destroy when they have weapons? Should I use a Bat Swarm once when I get the first x5 combo, or be doing it all the time? I'm just looking to get the score medals, not really going for topping the leaderboards or getting crazy high scores..
I'm by no means a combat expert but this has allowed me to 3 star every combat challenge without too much trouble. YMMV and other people probably do things differently but here's what I do:

- Level the playing field: I take out the armored guys and shield guys first. For the armored guys, a regular take-out (B+Y) will do the job. For the shield guys, breaking their weapons (X+Y) works. If possible, I break the stun batons too but I tend to find these more manageable. Once that's done, you're essentially left with regular grunts.
Also, it's worth noting the game seems to have its priorities right: if you do a weapon breakdown while there's a shield guy standing, you will leap to him. If you do an instant takedown in the middle of 4 regular guys and one armored guy, you will takedown the armored guy.

- Prioritize counters: that's probably obvious but if I need to choose between attacking and countering, I always counter. If there are multiple enemies to counter, press the counter button as many times as there are enemies.
This is particularly true when there's a guy on the other side of the room ready to throw a chair/canister: if another dude in your vicinity is attacking you, counter him first before leaping to the distant threat. I tend to not do that and 9 times out of 10 I'm fucked.

- Bat swarm: this applies mostly when there are many guys / bigger guys for rounds 3 and 4, sometimes 2, and once you've cleared the field. The idea is mostly to use the bat swarm for crowd control purposes while bringing the combo counter up. Attack / counter (see rule 2) between swarms, rinse and repeat. The one armed guys are particularly great for this: you can hit them fairly quickly and activate the BS every 5 hits, thus keeping them at bay.

- Have a nice finish: if you've kept your meter up, a ground takedown will rake you a lot of points. When there's only one enemy left, ultra stun him (B>B>B), that will send him to the ground and do a ground takedown, which will net you 75 x your combo count.

- For levels with Titan henchmen, I just avoid them with jumps while clearing the crowd and once they're all that's left, ultra stun them (B>B>B) then hit them as much as I can. If they aren't down, I avoid their counter attack and ultra stun them again.

- Add some variety if you can: in every big fight, it's easy to have all 4 special combinations, counters and heavy stuns. Throw in other stuff if you feel like it when the enemy numbers are low: aerial takedowns (B > A > A) and beat downs (B > X XXX). As much as I tried to have a perfect variety score in AA, this seems a lot more optional to me in AC.

As for your DLC suggestions, yes please !
The game has actually managed to make me excited about
a Hush episode. Which is a feat in itself considering even Jim Lee never made me excited about Hush. The way this side quest ends, I can picture it being an expansion rather than a new game. The Azrael stuff on the other hand definitely seems to foreshadow a third game. That seems a lot bigger.

Top Bottom