• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

zoner said:
Anyone else feel like they throw WAY too many variables in combat now? Like, in Arkham Asylum you had the perfect amount of unique enemies to deal with. In City you've got knife guys where the counter seems totally random at times, shield guys who you can't seem to lock onto when you need to and who attack way too quickly. taser guys who are similar to the Asylum version so they're fine.

It's just WAY too much to deal with. Especially in challenge mode.
I'd have agreed a week ago but I don't anymore.

The overhauled combat system is overwhelming at first, with the new enemies and the attacks to take them down, but once you get used to it, I feel you're in better control than in AA.
The randomness in AA has been toned down: guns, projectiles, direction fuck ups and counters when there were many enemies. AC has a system that can sustain big fights better than AA IMO. There's a learning curve but in the end AC seems somehow more deterministic than AA.

I've played AA a lot (pretty much maxed it on PC and xbox) and I've been playing AC a lot and I feel my combat results are a lot more consistent in AC than in AA.

I think part of what makes AC overwhelming coming from AA is that in AA, everything was useful in any given fight and the game compelled you to use everything. While variation is rewarded in AC, it is not necessary. You should focus on being comfortable with which attack works in which situation and build from there. But you don't need to use every attack, particularly the gadgets and the stuns. These are essentially bonuses you can live without.

(don't get me wrong, I love AA and its combat system, it's just a different experience)

Jintor

I've been playing AA again, and the combat is balls compared to AC. Stuff like the inability to take weapons out of commission in a fight (FUCKING STUN BATONS), the lesser prevalence of invincible stun baton-enemies, the ability to grab shit thrown at you, or the inability to cancel moves into counters as effectively as AC makes AC's combat far better. Like you say swap, it just seems a lot more random in AA - whether I'll look onto a guy or Bats will just punch the air, whether the game will decide to lock onto the person I'm trying to get, etc, etc.

(It's still brilliant)

Barrett2

Im' not sure how to follow
Ra's al Ghul to get to those blue platforms.
I got to the first one, but have no idea what to do on the second one? Its seems that dive bombing only throws me towards the ground.

93% finished. Getting there.

lawblob said:
Im' not sure how to follow Ra's al Ghul to get to those blue platforms. I got to the first one, but have no idea what to do on the second one? Its seems that dive bombing only throws me towards the ground
Follow the path you can overshoot/undershoot it a little.
So dive bomb a little more to get more air.

I found the first two to be the toughest actually. Very shallow.

JMizzlin

Is there any way to get destructible objects (Joker's balloons, and such) to appear on the in-game map (like the security cameras)? I can't find the last balloon, and I don't want this to be a problem on further object sets..

Eye Drop said:
Is there any way to get destructible objects (Joker's balloons, and such) to appear on the in-game map (like the security cameras)? I can't find the last balloon, and I don't want this to be a problem on further object sets..
Yep. Hack computer terminals on rooftops throughout AC.

Tsukumo

Two weeks into the game, other impressions.

-I tried to use the beatdown move like people suggested around here (keeping a thug in stun mode while punching others) and sure enough now I'm less meh about this move. Still wish cape stun wasn't a combo starter though. Also I would like a more refined motion capture for beatdown: I've played Captain America Super Soldier and even though the game is a carbon copy of Arkham Asylum, the mo-cap is ten times better even than Arkham City and finishing moves are always handled extremely well by the camera.

-People at Rocksteady should figure out a way to implement a new scoring system for predator rooms. Combat rooms are fun because they have a lot of variables that make every fight unique, but predator ones just need you to meet a couple of requirements and to complete the room as fast as possible. Sure now there's the detective mode jammer and the mines, and the night goggles, but enemies are always on the same starting positions. This makes replay a predator room a big unnerving deal. Takes away all the fun.
A scoring system that awards the player for using every gadget, try difficult takedowns and be as fast as possible would be much appreciated, expecially if thugs wouldn't start from the same position every single time.

-I'm happy there are no letterboxed movies in this game. Really. I'm absolutely fed up with letterboxed stuff in games and now I got to the point that I litterally scream in rage when a developer destroys a game narrative flow with them. Still I'd like to enjoy my alternative skins during cinematic sequences, expecially when they are handled with the in-game engine and it makes no sense to use pre-calculated movies when you have a graphic engine that works this good.

Rlan

Going through the rooms at the moment. I hate guys with knives, I can never get the reaction time right on them.

Mr. Sam

Guys with knives? Easy! Just hold triangle (or Y, I guess) and hold the joystick in the oppositie direction of the guy who's swinging at you. When he's done, deck him.

RPGCrazied

Buckethead said:
The
Calendar Man
things are pretty pointless. Oh well. Got the achievement.

You don't have to re-collect the Riddler trophies on NG+ do you?

No, but you have to redo the hostages again.

zam

Mr. Sam said:
Guys with knives? Easy! Just hold triangle (or Y, I guess) and hold the joystick in the oppositie direction of the guy who's swinging at you. When he's done, deck him.
Doesn't just holding Y and away to avoid the blade make you lose your combo? I do know that the blade counter takedown will keep your combo but not sure about the just avoiding.
I actually finally got the timing down for the blade counter takedown while doing the normal combat challenges, though it was mostly just pressting Y every time he swiped. Now I can pull off the blade counter takedown 99% of the time.

Either way evade always works and takes less time on knife guys (and I don't get the 1% time where I miss the counter timing and get cut and lose my combo).

RPGCrazied said:
No, but you have to redo the hostages again.
Was fun doing the hostages one right after the other on NG+ :)

Korosenai

Mr. Sam said:
Or if you see his head turn yellow, just double tap a to jump over him, or quickly press x+y to destroy the weapon.

Im not even sure if I want to complete the Riddler Campaigns and the Combat Challengers and Predator Challenges..I can never 3 star anything when it comes to that. Ive only managed to do it once and that was on a Predator Challenge. I'm at 270/420 on Riddler Trophies though :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does Nightwing have a shield breaking ability like X+Y? It would make this challenge a whole lot easier if he did.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
JWong said:
Am I missing much without Catwoman?

Besides dat ass, of course.
Combat challenge rooms are pretty fun with her.

Otherwise, nah, not really.
Vice said:
Isn't that takedown universal?
No, only Batman has the weapon break one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
lawblob said:
I don't think I really like this game. I loved AA, but this just feels sort of boring...
How far are you? I didn't find the game boring in the least. What are you finding boring? What were you expecting?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Shig said:
Combat challenge rooms are pretty fun with her.

Otherwise, nah, not really.

No, only Batman has the weapon break one.
Yeah

Looks like A+X is something where Nightwing kicks one of his prods and it hits a bunch of dudes. Y+B is a takedown and A+B is some chain lightning shit.
I don't see any kind of weapon break move though

comrade

zoner said:
Does Nightwing have a shield breaking ability like X+Y? It would make this challenge a whole lot easier if he did.
No but his move where he throws/kicks his batons at everyone in the room(A+X) makes them drop there weapons I think. I don't know if it works on guys with shields but people with knives/guns drop them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Nightwing maps kind of make me wish Remedy would do some sort of Kung-Fu heavy action game next. Punching and kicking dudes with Batman is fun and all, but I'd just love some Jet Li wire fu game from them

Vyer

Do you get anything besides the achievement for doing the Advanced AR training? I suck at them and all they are doing is pissing me off.

Grisby

Vyer said:
Do you get anything besides the achievement for doing the Advanced AR training? I suck at them and all they are doing is pissing me off.
Well, its a side quest and it adds to your 100% deal-io. But no, you don't get a tool upgrade or anything.

JWong

Banned
Vyer said:
Spent about 50 tries on the Adv AR Training 1. Yeah... finally beat them. #1 is the hardest.

JWong said:
Spent about 50 tries on the Adv AR Training 1. Yeah... finally beat them. #1 is the hardest.

Yeah It took me about 10-15 tries on the 1st advanced AR training..only took me 2-3 tries on 3 and 4 but the 2nd one took me about 10 tries. I was relieved to finally get the achievement.

JWong said:
I found 1 and 2 to be about equally difficult. 3 and 4 were actually pretty easy, with 4 being the easiest. The key on it is to not oversteer when pulling the u-turn.

The Lamp

Never played AA, picked this game up at the Target sale and decided to try it out. It was completely off my radar.

Good grief this is a great game. I'm stunned that a comic book game ended up being this good. I think I'm going to have more fun with it than I did with Uncharted 3. It's just so chock-full of content that I don't even know if I'm going to be able to complete everything. It's as if this is the last Batman game that will ever be allowed to be made, and Rocksteady held back no punches in throwing in as much gushy Batman comic book lore it could to satisfy fans while delivering a solid game. All the extra content doesn't feel tacked-on or pointless. Riddler trophies, side missions, different characters to play, golly, so much to do. Like InFAMOUS 2, you feel the need to divert off-course into side-missions but it feels fun and meaningful and throughout the entire world of Arkham City.

I love how they throw in as many villains as possible, and Mark Hamill is just a brilliant Joker as usual. The combat system is so satisfying and I still don't quite understand it. I feel like there's more depth to it than I'm perceiving. Voice acting is top notch. I also expected traversal in a Batman game to feel clunky, but it feels even more smooth and polished than Assassin's Creed or Uncharted to me. I get from point A to B quickly and without much thought at all. I also love the fact that I don't have restricted ammo on my basic gadgets...it makes me feel powerful and free to experiment with taking down enemies.

I just love this game so far. I feel like I've been playing forever and my progress only said 5% lol.

JWong

Banned
krameriffic said:
I found 1 and 2 to be about equally difficult. 3 and 4 were actually pretty easy, with 4 being the easiest. The key on it is to not oversteer when pulling the u-turn.
2 had a lot more leeway about when to stop dive bombing. 1 required an exact time and perfect control in the floating.

Anyway, glad they were the only ones. I bet it's the worst part of the game, hopefully.

Shtof

corrosivefrost said:
I'm noticing a lot of posters in here are using 360 notations for moves -- did most people buy on 360 for some reason? :3
Well, both of the comparison sites told us to. Also, installing the whole game to HDD should improve performance.

JEKKI

maaaaan what's up with these campaign missions?!?!

it's like I already did all the missions, but now u gotta do 3 of them!!

it sucks too coz those Predator mode ones aint easy!!! Especially the Extreme ones,

I died hella times trying to get some of those perfect, how I can I do them now with only 3 retries?!?! >_<

I have an extra batman beyond skin, pm if interested. Please don't feel up this thread with requests. Just send a PM.

EDIT: It's been given.

So does this get harder on Normal?

I just started a game and it seems way to easy to dispatch entire groups of enemies. I switched it to Hard and I get absolutely destroyed.

Phanatic8390 said:
So does this get harder on Normal?

I just started a game and it seems way to easy to dispatch entire groups of enemies. I switched it to Hard and I get absolutely destroyed.

The enemies get harder as the game progresses.

Sober

So I've been watching some videos on Youtube but I'm curious (since I'm waiting on the PC version), are there endless brawl maps for all characters? It looks like Robin has one, what about the others?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
How for the love of everything holy, including tuesdays, can you get to the three medals on combat maps? Am I overlooking something or is it insanely high?
I play on normal, BTW, do you get higher scores on hard?

hamchan

neorej said:
How for the love of everything holy, including tuesdays, can you get to the three medals on combat maps? Am I overlooking something or is it insanely high?
You can reach the 3 medal score on just the last round if you're good enough.

braves01

Banned
I played AA on Normal and did fine, so I thought I would bump it up to Hard for this one and I got my ass kicked in about the second fight and have been dying with some frequency. I hope there aren't any real choke points that make it impossible for me to finish.

overcast

neorej said:

IDK. It's pretty simple. Just, once you get flowing with a combo everything goes into slow motion. You can rack up points on the stages in the last round easily.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
overcast said:
IDK. It's pretty simple. Just, once you get flowing with a combo everything goes into slow motion. You can rack up points on the stages in the last round easily.
hmm, I need to get better then.

Top Bottom