• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Well today, I made some nice progress in the game.

Defeated Ra's Al Ghul. Talia got dat ASS!

Defeated Mr. Freeze. Reunited him with Nora.

Took down Dead Shot

Defeated the Mad Hatter

Solve the mystery with Azreal

Damn, this game is sogood.gif

373913_10150356080601977_549876976_8602419_1215127396_n.jpg

Current number 1 in the world with Nightwing on Wayne Manor on PS3. Feels good.
Someone will beat me by tonight but I will get them back, I can shave the time down a lot.

I'm finally done with my first playthrough, got all Riddler trophies and did every side quest - I have yet to finish the Catwoman side of things.

Before moving on to NG+, I wanted to do some combat challenges and the ones I fail consistently are the ones with the bigger dudes and armored guys. Because they tend to break my combos.

Any useful tips on how to deal with them? I tend to ice the hammer guys but I have no idea what to do with the Titan dudes without breaking my combos.

The 60k challenges seem pretty steep, considering I usually end around 40k.

What exactly will carry forward to NG+? I know all my equipment and upgrades, should, right? But what about riddles and riddler trophies collected? I know mission progress resets because of the story, obviously.

Palette Swap said:
I'm finally done with my first playthrough, got all Riddler trophies and did every side quest - I have yet to finish the Catwoman side of things.

Before moving on to NG+, I wanted to do some combat challenges and the ones I fail consistently are the ones with the bigger dudes and armored guys. Because they tend to break my combos.

Any useful tips on how to deal with them? I tend to ice the hammer guys but I have no idea what to do with the Titan dudes without breaking my combos.

The 60k challenges seem pretty steep, considering I usually end around 40k.

Better guys will offer different strategies, but here are mine

armor guys --- very easy, two options: you either break them using special move or you use them as punching bags. For the latter, most of the time, if you steer the camera toward them and use the cape, it is an autoaim towards them, then you will pummel them until (usually very early on) a guy or two is running towards you and you need to counter.

If you dont' feel confident, finish them. if you do, use them to build up combos, when you have high enough hits, use bat swarm

Titans --- forget about the combos, they will come. what you want to do is build enough combo meter, use batswarm, focus on the Titan just like the armored guy, except you do three cape stun then punch/pummel. counter when you must, once you hit enough meter and get stopped, use batswarm --- rinse and repeat. With Batman you will be able to ride the Titan once you do enough damage, that's when you build your combos. You get off them, you have special move, BATSWARM, then focus on the Titans again

Sh0k

I finally got all of the 440 riddler trophies but still have one of the concept art locked in the first page. Any idea what do I need to unlock the final concept art?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
corrosivefrost said:
What exactly will carry forward to NG+? I know all my equipment and upgrades, should, right? But what about riddles and riddler trophies collected? I know mission progress resets because of the story, obviously.

Riddler stuff carries over too. NG+ is actually seemingly separate from the first play, it seems like you can return to the post game at any time.

Vire

Buckethead said:
This last Predator mission is impossibleeeee
It's pretty rough...

You need to use the right modifiers in the right challenge.

Use the extra star one/time limit/gargoyle trap modifiers on the first map. (Do every medal besides the takedown through the glass one since the gargoyle's are rigged.)

Use the aura one on the second.

And the land mind one on the last.

(I can't remember the others but that order helped me a lot after much experimentation.)

Good luck though, it's probably the hardest thing in the game.

Yamibito

Finished it the other day, it was great but I liked the original much more. This one didn't really have many memorable moments I thought, compared to the original which had loads.

woodchuck

One thing I enjoyed a lot more in this one was the boss fights. Asylum's boss fights were terrible.

But I think I prefer Asylum's more focused environments. Also, getting a new gadget in Asylum was so much more badass. And who can forget the fucking batcave. I didn't really have any "geek" moments in this one compared to the first one.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just beat it.
was hoping for more of an ending. Kinda lame. Liked the surprise at the end though.

Loved it though. So much to do. Havent even reached 50% yet. Lots of great characters and content.

overcast

Sh0k said:
I finally got all of the 440 riddler trophies but still have one of the concept art locked in the first page. Any idea what do I need to unlock the final concept art?
Same question here.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Zeliard said:
Catwoman challenge rooms are the best part of the game. :>
This is a fucking lie. Predator Catwoman rooms are terribly boring and imbalanced. You have to sit there and wait for guys to spread out each time you take someone out, there is no way to separate them like Batman can with the smoke or sonic batarang.

Nightwing is much more fun with the grapnel and stun darts and mine-disabler thing, but of all people to not talk, Dick Grayson? Dropped the ball on that one.

Sh0k

overcast said:
Same question here.

Figured out last night, you have to go back to the game and make sure that you have all the trophies, it's going to give you the message again that the last concept art was unlocked, but after that by some reason you have to have the game save again before quitting to the main menu, just go through any door in and out; when you quit, the last concept art is unlocked.

spekkeh

Banned
Rain_ng said:
Just beat
Freeze
on NG+

Awesome fight, easily my fave boss fight in the game. Makes up for how easy and brief it is on the first time through.
My, what big penis you have.

impirius

lawblob said:
Early in the game, im' supposed to "use the remote electrical charge to pull off the doors to the Joker's office."

??
There's a thing in the room you can use to knock the door off. Things that can be charged usually show up as orange in Detective Vision.

Remember to use both the positive and negative versions of the electrical charge on the object!

That's funny. I assumed you couldn't use the combo moves in the challenge maps because they never gave me a prompt despite being at 25x combo over and over. Good to know. Does Nightwing have combo moves?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
GuitarAtomik said:
That's funny. I assumed you couldn't use the combo moves in the challenge maps because they never gave me a prompt despite being at 25x combo over and over. Good to know. Does Nightwing have combo moves?
Yep. No one but Batman has the weapon smash move, but everyone has the B+Y instant takedown and their own unique A+B and A+X moves.

Nightwing's A+B is an electrical charge that puts about a dozen thugs in a dizzy state, and his A+X he throws an ecrimsa stick that ricochets around and dizzys or knocks down a bunch of folks.

LosDaddie

Banned
Is there a good walkthrough guide online?

I'm still early in the game
Have to go rescue Mr. Freeze
and I keep getting pulled into side missions
Phone call guy, Riddler hostage rescue
and I don't feel like I'm making much progress.

Or is that just normal for the game?

RPGCrazied

Just hit 300 trophies, ugh. I wish all the trophies were on the map, or at least in AA find a map, not having to hunt down the riddler informants. The one I'm working on now is the pressure plates on the long chimney structures. I know how to do it, but I never seem to get enough height after pressing on 2 of them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RPGCrazied said:
Just hit 300 trophies, ugh. I wish all the trophies were on the map, or at least in AA find a map, not having to hunt down the riddler informants. The one I'm working on now is the pressure plates on the long chimney structures. I know how to do it, but I never seem to get enough height after pressing on 2 of them.
The grapnel boost doesn't reset the buttons, use this to your advantage. :p

lucius

Enjoying the fights in New Game+ much more than my first playthrough. I still say the Main game story is shorter than Batman AA, and if you look at How Long to Beat site:

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/gamelist.php?&sorthead=

People are beating the main game about 4 hours faster, now some of that can be that we are just better Batman players but still I expected more stuff to happen in the main game (maybe dlc will fix this). But my total game time was a lot longer because so many extra things to do compared to Batman AA, that makes AC overall better, just I really think the main game is weaker.

Tsukumo

Liking the Nightwing dlc so far. Don't know why they put a radar on his detective mode since nothing usually appears on it. What's that for?
His fighting style is very unique, I like the fact that he doesn't play exactly like Batman, Robin or Catwoman and you have to adapt to the different rhythm of his attacks. I don't mind the fact that he doesn't glide, but I would have appreciated some alternative to gliding like Catwoman's whip slinging and wall climbing.
I really hope they'll come up with a small campaign for Robin and Nightwing. I haven't read all the arkham city stories and related comics, but since
Oracle
springs out of nowhere, I kinda figured Nightwing had gone to her rescue and I thought down the road we would have seen some dlc campaign.
I really would like to have the chance to play on the main map with Nightwing and Robin, like sometimes I do with Catwoman when I get bored with the Bats. It would be a good change of pace and another notch on replayability.
One last thing: the smirk they put on Nightwing, it's kinda douchy...I can take Robin not speaking to make him look cool (it's not what the character is all about, still it's not that big of a deal) but Nightwing smirking like that makes him veeery tacky and I absolutely don't appreciate it. This goes with Dark Knight Returns skin not having eyes.
Fix it, Rocksteady. FIX, IT!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Frogfucious said:
Just curious how many more hours of play left after
hacking the helicopters to access the tower
? I'm assuming I'm at the end?

near to the end not there yet.

AEREC

Frogfucious said:
Just curious how many more hours of play left after
hacking the helicopters to access the tower
? I'm assuming I'm at the end?

Ya..prolly less than an hour...2 hours if you include credits =p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LosDaddie said:
Is there a good walkthrough guide online?

I'm still early in the game
Have to go rescue Mr. Freeze
and I keep getting pulled into side missions
Phone call guy, Riddler hostage rescue
and I don't feel like I'm making much progress.

Or is that just normal for the game?
You don't have to do those right away. The game is just drawing your attention to it. Do it at your own pace.

Yen

corrosivefrost said:
But I already got the riddler trophy in the same area as batman. :\
Can you easily switch between catwoman and batman when you clear the entire game?
Yes, there are a couple switch points in the map.

BeautifulMemory said:
Better guys will offer different strategies, but here are mine

armor guys --- very easy, two options: you either break them using special move or you use them as punching bags. For the latter, most of the time, if you steer the camera toward them and use the cape, it is an autoaim towards them, then you will pummel them until (usually very early on) a guy or two is running towards you and you need to counter.

If you dont' feel confident, finish them. if you do, use them to build up combos, when you have high enough hits, use bat swarm

Titans --- forget about the combos, they will come. what you want to do is build enough combo meter, use batswarm, focus on the Titan just like the armored guy, except you do three cape stun then punch/pummel. counter when you must, once you hit enough meter and get stopped, use batswarm --- rinse and repeat. With Batman you will be able to ride the Titan once you do enough damage, that's when you build your combos. You get off them, you have special move, BATSWARM, then focus on the Titans again
I've just given the batswarm method a try and ended with something like 80k on a single round. I felt cheap doing that but man does it work.

Thanks for the tip!

Lakitu

st5fu
So how do I get back into the
confiscated goods vault after the story mode and Catwoman's episode?
There are a couple of Riddler secrets in there that I missed the first time. I've looked around but I'm obviously missing something.

Edit: Oh, actually there are no trophies there. I just highlighted it assuming it would tell me but it was just showing me the secrets in the entire place.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Tsukumo said:
Liking the Nightwing dlc so far. Don't know why they put a radar on his detective mode since nothing usually appears on it. What's that for?
His fighting style is very unique, I like the fact that he doesn't play exactly like Batman, Robin or Catwoman and you have to adapt to the different rhythm of his attacks. I don't mind the fact that he doesn't glide, but I would have appreciated some alternative to gliding like Catwoman's whip slinging and wall climbing.
I really hope they'll come up with a small campaign for Robin and Nightwing. I haven't read all the arkham city stories and related comics, but since
Oracle
springs out of nowhere, I kinda figured Nightwing had gone to her rescue and I thought down the road we would have seen some dlc campaign.
I really would like to have the chance to play on the main map with Nightwing and Robin, like sometimes I do with Catwoman when I get bored with the Bats. It would be a good change of pace and another notch on replayability.
One last thing: the smirk they put on Nightwing, it's kinda douchy...I can take Robin not speaking to make him look cool (it's not what the character is all about, still it's not that big of a deal) but Nightwing smirking like that makes him veeery tacky and I absolutely don't appreciate it. This goes with Dark Knight Returns skin not having eyes.
Fix it, Rocksteady. FIX, IT!
They had to do something for Nightwing, he's notorious for being a shit-talker as he beats up badguys since he's not as intimidating as Batman, he distracts them some other way, but obviously they didn't want to have to pay another voice actor since he doesn't even have grunts.

Dark Knight returns skin probably isn't supposed to have eyes, just like Batman Beyond and Animated Batman, it's just how they look.

I don't think we'll get any DLC for SP, for one thing there isn't a menu option for it like Catwoman. They would've announced it by now.

Ramirez

Man, I feel like they really went overboard with the Riddler stuff, I want to get them all, but I've been poopsocking this game and still only have like 230 of them. :( How many do I need for the 5th hostage to open up?

I just got the last Riddler trophy yesterday and....no achievement? I don't even care about achievements but damn, 400 challenges and nothing?

linzin

Neo Member
RoninChaos said:
I'm enjoying this more now that I've beaten it.

Wtf is the last gadget?

270 riddled trophies. Why am I doing this?

I assume you're talking about the freeze cluster. It's in the Steel Mill, down the elevator. When you un-gag Harley, she talks about tech Joker stole from Mr. Freeze, and you can access the freight elevator from the Loading Bay.

I feel exactly the same way about trophies. Why am I doing this? But... can't... stop...

RoninChaos said:
I'm enjoying this more now that I've beaten it.

Wtf is the last gadget?

270 riddled trophies. Why am I doing this?
LOL this summarizes my feeling on the game. When I first beat the main quest I thought "that was it geez they overexagerated. The main story feels incomplete and the dungeons were short and not that many." Then I decided to just finish up some of the sidequests and now I'm hooked into the game slowly working my way through all of the Riddler Challenges.

Top Bottom