• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I liked gliding through the city at first, but after few times it started to get tiresome. Especially after the tedious
time-limited Zsasz
mission. I think I missed some of the upgrades, as I never completed all the AR missions. Which is a shame, and somewhat bad decision from the developers, if they were an essential addition to the game.

The
Zsasz quests
were easy as long as you grapple boosted. And the Advanced AR missions only unlock a 3D Model.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
SO i like many people got one of those nvidia codes

purchased it on steam, now it wants a securom code....

what do I do here?

Derrick01

Banned
Well shit I forgot there even was an OT for this game. Most of us PC players have been posting in the other thread. I finished it earlier today so I guess I'll just copy my impressions from the other thread as that one kinda functions more as a performance thread.

Me said:
I finished the story about an hour ago, really fantastic game and a much better overall game than AA. It lacks that WOW factor that AA had because the gameplay was unique and fresh, and because we had never played a good Batman game before but all of the combat and flight enhancements were really well done. Not to mention that playing as Catwoman was so damn fun.

The boss fights were a lot more fun too. There were at least 3 fights that I greatly enjoyed and the last boss was just ok but a ton better than AA's. I still have a lot left to go though, only about 45% done with the entire game. I only have about 200 of the Riddler secrets and I haven't touched the challenge rooms and campaigns yet. Not to mention I still have new game+ to go.

It's probably going to be in my top 5 for goty. I've yet to play dark souls and assassins creed but I don't expect either to blow me away which is what the top 5 are for.

Dipswitch

Question: Do you have to collect the Catwoman only riddler trophies during the few scenes in the campaign when you have control of her? Or do they let you choose who to play as after the campaign is complete so you can pick them up then?

Still barely into the story, so trying to figure out what to do without reading spoilers......

Sober

Question: Do you have to collect the Catwoman only riddler trophies during the few scenes in the campaign when you have control of her? Or do they let you choose who to play as after the campaign is complete so you can pick them up then?

Still barely into the story, so trying to figure out what to do without reading spoilers......
When you finish the main story (Batman's side), you have to finish a Catwoman mission before they let you switch, I'm pretty sure.

I finally got the platinum on this! I thought all I had to do was finished the riddlers revenge, but turns out I had to go back to the regular game and finish all the side missions for the second time lol... Pretty frustrating platinum, but wow, I love this game.

Beat it a few days ago.

Fantastic game, great design but missing the amazing atmosphere of Arkham Asylum; In that regard, I'd say it's similar to the comparisons of Dark Souls -> Demon's Souls.

I can`t understand that. Arkham City oozes Batman atmosphere. Only the flooded amusement mile is lacking a bit but the rest, especially Park Row capture that definitive Gotham feel to perfection.

I`m only a little bit disappointed that the main storyline was so short and i think the game should have had a fourth big dungeon, but all in all its a very good sequel. I liked the Riddler stuff and don`t think they overdid it. For me it felt right. I also liked that Arkham City wasn`t that big and not really open world. Its more like a hub world with a lot to do and the size was prefect for my taste.

Well shit I forgot there even was an OT for this game. Most of us PC players have been posting in the other thread. I finished it earlier today so I guess I'll just copy my impressions from the other thread as that one kinda functions more as a performance thread.

It's probably going to be in my top 5 for goty. I've yet to play dark souls and assassins creed but I don't expect either to blow me away which is what the top 5 are for.

I feel like I'm nearing the end and so far agree with everything you said. So far it's my favorite game of the year (having played Uncharted or Assassin's Creed yet though). I really liked the first game, but I don't think I could go back after this. Flying around the city feels just awesome.

Melchiah

But the basic AR missions were required to advance the early game story, correct?

No. I did the first three-four gliding missions, which gave me the grapple boost as a reward, after I finished the story. I think I did one of them in the beginning of the game, but it didn't give me anything.

Sober

But the basic AR missions were required to advance the early game story, correct?
I don't think anything in the main campaign requires you to grappel boost short of wanting to get to the next part faster. I suppose it seemed "required" at the time because it happened to be on the way to the steel mill.

AR Missions are not required, they are just side missions.

Yes, completing it gives you an upgrade boost, but you can beat the game without it. You can even complete the Szasz side mission without it.

Melchiah

AR Missions are not required, they are just side missions.

Yes, completing it gives you an upgrade boost, but you can beat the game without it. You can even complete the Szasz side mission without it.

Yes, it's definitely possible, as I did both without it, but the latter would have been easier with it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
superman64_1i3dgs.jpg

batmanac2011-11-2519-9kf8b.png

Somebody at Rocksteady needs to lose their fucking job.

Mairu

What's the trick to the AR missions? I just started playing the game and after I did the first one the second one next to the crane got me kind of stumped :(

I gave up pretty quickly, but the first ring just seemed too far for me to hit from where you start

overcast

Well, I just got a new Xbox. Traded in my old one. I put all of my memory on a flash drive. It fucking disappeared, and I don't know my account password. I had everything except NG+ done. Really cool.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just watched some video reviews for this. It's far greater of a game than I thought. #1 on my wishlist now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
superman64_1i3dgs.jpg

batmanac2011-11-2519-9kf8b.png

Somebody at Rocksteady needs to lose their fucking job.

I just spent over an hour on this fucking thing and who knows how long on all 4 or 5 or whatever and finally got it. All you get is a GOD DAMNED ACHIEVEMENT!?!?

WHAT. WHAT. WHAT.

WHHHHHAAAAAAAT.

Hey game. Hey.

Hey.

Hey you. There. Game, he you game hey. You. Hey.

YOU TAUGHT ME EARLIER THAT DOING STUPID RING FUCK SHIT GIVES ME UPGRADES TO MY STUFF. YOU TAUGHT ME THAT. I JUST SPENT FUCK SHIT WHO KNOWS HOW LONG DOING THOSE 4/5WHATEVER GOD DAMN CHALLENGES AND I GET AN ACHIEVEMENT!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What's the trick to the AR missions? I just started playing the game and after I did the first one the second one next to the crane got me kind of stumped :(

I gave up pretty quickly, but the first ring just seemed too far for me to hit from where you start

I found it helpful to not move around while you are gliding, even if you are going at a high speed from top to low. You don't need much adjustment at all. Find the right point to pull up and let it gllllide

The last set of the achievements had me wanting to threw my controller until I found out that tapping right trigger helped me stay leveled in the tunnels.

Miyahon

Does anyone know if I'm still able to obtain the trophies from Arkham Asylum after I have played Arkham City? I saw they have medals that I haven't got yet from the previous game?

Sober

The last set of the achievements had me wanting to threw my controller until I found out that tapping right trigger helped me stay leveled in the tunnels.
I felt like you just had to not pull up too much as you might do when normally traversing the city, which is probably why people end up hitting obstacles or the scaffolding trying to thread the tunnel. I don't think there is much to diving being analog at all since dive bombing is all-or-nothing when you press it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Does anyone know if I'm still able to obtain the trophies from Arkham Asylum after I have played Arkham City? I saw they have medals that I haven't got yet from the previous game?

What? Of course you can still get achievements for completely different games if you play the sequels.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
question: after the story does it kick you back into the city so you can do more stuff, or what?

I ask because i'm like 80% done with the story and only 35% done with everything else, apparently.

GQman2121

Banned
question: after the story does it kick you back into the city so you can do more stuff, or what?

I ask because i'm like 80% done with the story and only 35% done with everything else, apparently.

Yep. And you can switch off between Bats and Cats at various locations around the city.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The opened ended nature of the city itself and the game's ending, complete with a return for the post game, means story DLC for this game could be really elaborate.

While I wouldn't mind more Batman or Catwoman story arcs, I'd really love a Nightwing or Robin story. I really like their designs after playing their Riddler's Challenge selves.

But then, while the art style in the game isn't to everyone's liking, I truly love it, and I love Rocksteady's spin on the Batman designs.

It's kinda like, a bit of the gritty realism of Christopher Nolan Batman, but still a fantasy universe where there's sorcery, super science, and so forth. Their designers tried hard to make all the costumes and such look plausible and constructed out of real materials, even practical to use. Or at least over the top science punk. Freeze's armor is goddamn epic.

Miyahon

What? Of course you can still get achievements for completely different games if you play the sequels.

I know that I meant I saw the trophies/achievements list and you get some of them for completing some of the previous game content. I wasn't sure if it would transfer over if I had already played the sequel.

Montresor

This game would be near perfect if there weren't any campaign challenges. It's incredibly aggravating that these things exist. Why would you do this Rocksteady? Any feeling of accomplishment in completing the combat and predator challenges is totally nullified when you know you have to repeat every single one of them in the tough campaign scenarios, three-in-a-row and with handicaps. =\ It is so incredibly tedious having to do every map twice.

what the F i just beat the game.... shit flew by! i felt like arkham asylum was longer but maybe not.

anyways, this was a top notch game. this is what games should be. very exciting game from start to finish. kind of bummed that some of my favorite batman villains weren't in the game but i will say this game had some of my favorite boss fights ever. solomun grundy and clayface both being awesome. those are the fights we SHOULD have had with killer croc in AA.

will buy any DLC!

overcast

The opened ended nature of the city itself and the game's ending, complete with a return for the post game, means story DLC for this game could be really elaborate.

While I wouldn't mind more Batman or Catwoman story arcs, I'd really love a Nightwing or Robin story. I really like their designs after playing their Riddler's Challenge selves.

But then, while the art style in the game isn't to everyone's liking, I truly love it, and I love Rocksteady's spin on the Batman designs.

It's kinda like, a bit of the gritty realism of Christopher Nolan Batman, but still a fantasy universe where there's sorcery, super science, and so forth. Their designers tried hard to make all the costumes and such look plausible and constructed out of real materials, even practical to use. Or at least over the top science punk. Freeze's armor is goddamn epic.
The art style really grew on me after playing AA. I think I love almost all of the characters designs apart from thugs and Harley.

Finished it today. Great game, but it just doesn't reach the heights of AA and feels more forgettable. Also not every game benefits from being open world. Also controls felt worse, but that's probably because of the 360 controller (Played AA on PS3).

Kaizer

Banned
Can anyone give some tips for combat? I notice I often have a hard time getting a combo to last like than x6 and don't always counter in time. Never had a chance to play Arkham Asylum, so having a little difficulty.

Top Bottom