• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Sober

Easy way is to go to a different neighborhood, save, reload, come back and some more informants should appear. Also, indoor informants are independent of outdoor informants from what I read.
Tried it a few times, no luck. Whatever, will just do the challenges then get started on NG+ probably instead.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Do indoor informants ever come back? I took out the one in the
Steel Mill during Jokers last mission
yesterday and was wondering if those guys in there will ever respawn.

ANyways, I beat this last night and loved nearly every minute of it. I have some minor complaints but theyre all nitpicky and not even worth mentioning. I might try to 100% it now.

They will. I went back once or twice through the Mill and there were informants inside in different sections. Once by the area where you glide through the glass, and once in the final room above the boiler room.

I just dont think they always spawn as informants, I guess the game procedurally generates them every once in a while, not always the same place. Just like gun guards are not always in the same spots. The Joker land big gate sometimes has two gun guards, sometime a shielded guard, sometimes an armored guard.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
They will. I went back once or twice through the Mill and there were informants inside in different sections. Once by the area where you glide through the glass, and once in the final room above the boiler room.

I just dont think they always spawn as informants, I guess the game procedurally generates them every once in a while, not always the same place. Just like gun guards are not always in the same spots. The Joker land big gate sometimes has two gun guards, sometime a shielded guard, sometimes an armored guard.

Hell you will get the indoor secrets from informers on the outside once you get sections cleared. So they definitely will respawn until you get them all on your map.

Montresor

Yes, yes, yes! I only have Catwoman's last campaign challenge (Predator Master) and then I'll have the full 1040/1040 for this game! Of course I'm not counting the achievement that requires you boot up the game on Easter/Labour Day/Christmas/etc... or the Nightwing/Robin DLC. I don't think I'll ever touch that DLC unless they're a combined 400 MS points. These challenges (with both Batman and Catwoman) have caused me so much grief there's no way I invest 1000+ MS points just to play all the same challenges again!

But damn this feels good. I'm so so close to finally finishing all of Catwoman's challenges.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Just bought the PC version for $25 at the Origin store. It's downloading now. Hopefully there aren't too many install/performance problems.

Montresor

Aaand done! Catwoman's campaign challenges are complete.

I can't believe how long it took to best Police Brutality Extreme. I had to restart maybe 20 times trying to finish that first challenge with time limit/proximity mines/protective aura, but it was worth it. I got all those crippling modifiers out of the way early on and then I breezed past Natural Selection and End of the Line.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Got the game shipped on monday, already loving it. Movement is soo much better then AA, love the fact you can grapple while gliding. Those AR missions are givin me the shits though. Wats the reward for completing those suckers

Sober

Got the game shipped on monday, already loving it. Movement is soo much better then AA, love the fact you can grapple while gliding. Those AR missions are givin me the shits though. Wats the reward for completing those suckers
The advanced ones give you an achievement. They are fairly easy though once you get the hang of it, only the one near the Steel Mill gave me real trouble.

Gor@n

Neo Member
The one near the steel mill can kiss my

I can manage to glide into the tunnel most of the time, its the teeth at the entrance which get in my way and the pipes in the middle of the tunnel. Played a catwomen mission and loving it. I would totally dig a game based on her. I like how she's more agile than Bman. Only if Robin and Nightwing were part of the story missions, i'd gladly fork out the monies for it, hell let me use them in free roam and i'll be happy.

Curufinwe

I had heard that
the Mr Freeze fight on NG+ was supposed to be really hard, but I didn't have too much trouble and I finished it on my third attempt. The key was to make sure he didn't permanently jam my Detective vision.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Games for Windows LIVE is a fucking virus.

Honestly, next time that discussion comes up in the next "Anti-Steam thread o' the week," I am going shithouse on anyone that defends GFWL.

Derrick01

Banned
Games for Windows LIVE is a fucking virus.

Honestly, next time that discussion comes up in the next "Anti-Steam thread o' the week," I am going shithouse on anyone that defends GFWL.

Uh oh Heavy better watch out!

I've never had an actual problem with it until this game came out, but I still get random crashes on the title screen which brings up the gfwl login if you haven't already signed in. Plus I've noticed that games that use it such as this and Bulletstorm take a long time to start up after clicking on it. Skyrim and Saints Row 3 start up almost immediately (or their launchers do, but the game loads quick too), and those are steamworks. Coincidence? I think not.

XOMTOR

Although I've personally never had a problem with G4WL (I use offline accounts & disable Live achievements), it hasn't exactly done anything for me either so in my case it's simply useless.

Serious question, for someone like me who doesn't own an Xbox, what exactly does G4WL bring to the table that Steamworks doesn't? Does it provide any benefit to a PC gamer?

Salaadin

Serious question, for someone like me who doesn't own an Xbox, what exactly does G4WL bring to the table that Steamworks doesn't? Does it provide any benefit to a PC gamer?

As far as I can tell, it does nothing different from Steamworks and is actually more troublesome because of the random save deleting, slow loading, etc.
It does tie in with your XBL gamertag so you can text chat with your XBL friends and earn XBL achievements but thats about it.

I havent had any issues with it outside of slow loads and it freezing a game on me if I open the guide during a load screen but hearing others horror stories just makes me fear that something bad will eventually happen to me. Im not even sure why devs use it when its all but proven to be a burden for games and gamers.

Derrick01

Banned
Although I've personally never had a problem with G4WL (I use offline accounts & disable Live achievements), it hasn't exactly done anything for me either so in my case it's simply useless.

It brings absolutely nothing beneficial to the table. The ONLY positive thing it does is add achievements to your overall Live account and that's only a positive for some people.

morningbus

I just had my 75% playthrough eaten by GFWL, so I'm just kind of bitter. I was at about 200 riddle trophies and every side mission save for the random acts of violence completed.

Games for Windows LIVE brings nothing worthwhile to the PC gamer. There is literally nothing it does that Steamworks doesn't do better. The only advantage it has is that the achievement system ties in to Gamerscore.

However, Games for Windows isn't that bad and we can thank it for the increase in 360-controller compatible games we've gotten.

Sectus

-Achievements are handled better (although that doesn't matter at all unless you play a lot of GFWL games).
-It doesn't require a bloated client to be running. Someone will probably punch me for saying it, but considering steam can take 10+ seconds to start or shut down and it takes a lot of memory (82mb right now), I'm gonna call it bloated.
-You can choose where to install the game (not a bonus with GFWL, but a bonus if it's not steamworks).

If the choice were between steamworks only or GFWL only, I would have gone for GFWL. It's a shame that if you get the steam version, you get a pretty big mess with securom+GFWL+steamworks. Steam cloud support is nice though.

XOMTOR

Thanks guys, I didn't think I was missing much. I've never looked into it simply because the only other game I own that has it is Arkham Asylum and I remember that the recommendation then was to setup and offline G4WL profile; I've ignored anything else about it. Never felt the urge to see what it was all about.

Edit:

It doesn't require a bloated client to be running. Someone will probably punch me for saying it, but considering steam can take 10+ seconds to start or shut down and it takes a lot of memory (82mb right now), I'm gonna call it bloated.

If you run the Steam client in 'small' mode, I believe it uses quite a bit less memory. Most people probably leave Steam running as well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
When GFWL eats a save, does it even delete the save file in the Batman saves folder?
My saves folder has been empty the entire time, I'm guessing my saves are getting saved online? Is there a way to force a local save?

Thanks guys, I didn't think I was missing much. I've never looked into it simply because the only other game I own that has it is Arkham Asylum and I remember that the recommendation then was to setup and offline G4WL profile; I've ignored anything else about it. Never felt the urge to see what it was all about.

Edit:

If you run the Steam client in 'small' mode, I believe it uses quite a bit less memory. Most people probably leave Steam running as well.

Memory bloat for apps like this is becoming less of an issue as people get more RAM and start moving over to 64-bit OSes.

morningbus

-Achievements are handled better (although that doesn't matter at all unless you play a lot of GFWL games).
-It doesn't require a bloated client to be running. Someone will probably punch me for saying it, but considering steam can take 10+ seconds to start or shut down and it takes a lot of memory (82mb right now), I'm gonna call it bloated.
-You can choose where to install the game (not a bonus with GFWL, but a bonus if it's not steamworks).

If the choice were between steamworks only or GFWL only, I would have gone for GFWL. It's a shame that if you get the steam version, you get a pretty big mess with securom+GFWL+steamworks. Steam cloud support is nice though.

Surely you must see more benefits than that if you'd have picked GFWL only. Steam doesn't randomly eat saves, or lock them down to specific gamer tags, or refuse to let you play your save if it can't connect to the GFWL servers for some reason (All of which are reported problems with Arkham City).

As for the client: 1) GFWL runs a client during its games, too. It just isn't a persistent client like Steam. 2) I believe Steam's memory usage goes down once you enter game. 3) Even if it does, how much RAM are you running? If you're trying to get by on 1 gig, sure, 82 mb might be a lot, but we're people that probably have 4 gigs, minimum. I'd rather have a client that's a few MB larger and works.

As for installs: I guess it can depend on your usage scenario. Steam will install its games where ever you have your Steam directory installed. I made a separate partition and installed Steam there and no longer have to worry about running out of space on my main drive. If you want to run specific games of an SSD, or something, you can use junction points or that GamesSaves Manager program to move specific folders.

Salaadin

If my PC is on, chances are that Steam is running as well. Because of this, I dont even really take Steams initial loading into account when comparing the pros/cons or Steam/GFWL.

My saves folder has been empty the entire time, I'm guessing my saves are getting saved online? Is there a way to force a local save?
Weird. What version?

I got it from Origin and theres something in my saves folder.

VVIS

Neo Member
meh, haven't played in 2 weeks, since my saved game was lost. I'll try to pick it back up at some point, shame.

Sectus

Surely you must see more benefits than that if you'd have picked GFWL only. Steam doesn't randomly eat saves, or lock them down to specific gamer tags, or refuse to let you play your save if it can't connect to the GFWL servers for some reason (All of which are reported problems with Arkham City).
Why are people assuming it's GFWL's fault for the savegame disappearing? This is not a common occurrence with GFWL games. Most likely, it's the game's fault. There's also reports of corrupt savegames on the 360 version, and it could very well be the exact same problem.

As for the client: 1) GFWL runs a client during its games, too. It just isn't a persistent client like Steam. 2) I believe Steam's memory usage goes down once you enter game. 3) Even if it does, how much RAM are you running? If you're trying to get by on 1 gig, sure, 82 mb might be a lot, but we're people that probably have 4 gigs, minimum. I'd rather have a client that's a few MB larger and works.
I know GFWL uses its own client, but there's no signs of it being as big and slow as steam. If it's based on xbox live, it's most likely to be tiny as consoles tend to give extremely little resources to anything which isn't the game. I've got enough memory for steam, my annoyance with it is just how slow it feels in general and taking a large amount of memory is a good sign of it being bloated. To me, it feels pointless for it to be so big when I don't really utilize it for anything else but starting games. I'm sure other people don't mind it as much if it's their primary portal for games on PC and they utilize more of its features.

Where's the option for this? I looked through the settings for steam and I can't find any mention of this.

morningbus

Why are people assuming it's GFWL's fault for the savegame disappearing? This is not a common occurrence with GFWL games. Most likely, it's the game's fault. There's also reports of corrupt savegames on the 360 version, and it could very well be the exact same problem.

It isn't a coincidence that both are Microsoft systems, and I believe other games have had save issues like this one. I mean, it is clearly Rocksteady's fault for picking GFWL anyway, but GFWL has always done weird stuff with saves. If you change your gamertag, you lose your saves. Saves can be in random locations, cryptically concealed behind things that look like hex code.

I know GFWL uses its own client, but there's no signs of it being as big and slow as steam. If it's based on xbox live, it's most likely to be tiny as consoles tend to give extremely little resources to anything which isn't the game. I've got enough memory for steam, my annoyance with it is just how slow it feels in general and taking a large amount of memory is a good sign of it being bloated. To me, it feels pointless for it to be so big when I don't really utilize it for anything else but starting games. I'm sure other people don't mind it as much if it's their primary portal for games on PC and they utilize more of its features.

I just don't see the problem, though. Do you feel like it is slowing down your game? I mean, I hate when idle processes are running, too, but if I don't think they are affecting my performance, I'll stop caring.

GFWL, on the other hand has always been slower for me than Steam. Hell, Batman: AC, through its combination of GFWL and Securom takes upwards of 20 seconds from when I hit launch to when the game initially loads. Add in another 4 to 5 seconds to sign in to GFWL and we're talking about inconveniences significantly larger than anything Steam has ever done to me.

I've got the GMG version of Batman AC which is GFWL by itself. The game takes 15-20 seconds to boot each time. This isn't a Steam issue. It's either a GFWL issue or a Batman:AC issue.

As for GFWL in general, there hasn't been a single game in which I haven't had a problem with the service. Bioshock, DOW2+Chaos Rising, Dirt 2, Fallout 3 and Dirt 3. Each have had stupid problems for me. From lost game saves to not being able to log in because the MTU value wasn't correct. The problems have ran the gamut whereas Steam has never given me any such problems.

After spending some quality time with the game last night, I just want to give WB a big big FUCK YOU for delaying the game and riddling it with horrible DRM. You've truly left a nice big fucking piece of turd on what could be one of the most delicious pieces of cake ever baked this year. Fuck you very much.

Derrick01

Banned
So how do I blow up these goddamned fuse boxes? I remember the part in the story where I had to do it and there was an electrical current nearby to use with the remote batarang but for Riddler trophies I can't find one around the area. There's something I'm missing here...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So how do I blow up these goddamned fuse boxes? I remember the part in the story where I had to do it and there was an electrical current nearby to use with the remote batarang but for Riddler trophies I can't find one around the area. There's something I'm missing here...

Throw controllable batarang through electricity.

Salaadin

The electricity is hidden away or far away sometimes. Ive done two trophies that needed electrified batarangs so far and both of them had me controlling the batarang for a good distance.

Sectus

It isn't a coincidence that both are Microsoft systems, and I believe other games have had save issues like this one. I mean, it is clearly Rocksteady's fault for picking GFWL anyway, but GFWL has always done weird stuff with saves. If you change your gamertag, you lose your saves. Saves can be in random locations, cryptically concealed behind things that look like hex code.
I just checked PS3 forums for the game on gamefaqs, and I'm seeing some reports there too about corrupted saves. I think it's pretty safe to conclude it's a bug with the game. The complaints about savegames are valid although I don't see the practical need to ever make a new gamertag. Having the savegames be in weird locations is annoying, but with all the recent GFWL games I've played (the last 2 years), they've stopped doing that.

I just don't see the problem, though. Do you feel like it is slowing down your game? I mean, I hate when idle processes are running, too, but if I don't think they are affecting my performance, I'll stop caring.
I don't feel it makes the game run slower, but it would mean a slight less hassle if it were not a requirement. I probably feels the opposite of what most people feel like when they get a GFWL game. They feel like they suddenly have to use GFWL in addition to steam. And in my case, I feel like I suddenly have to use steam which isn't something I use for all my games. I buy more games at gamersgate than steam because I like the simplicity and quickness of running a game directly.

On the very top of Steam where it says "Steam-View-Friends-Games-Help"
Look Under View for "Small Mode"

Thanks. I'll use that for a while and see if it does run quicker this way.

Remember you can use the REC gun too. I got stuck with one riddle for too long because I kept looking for electricity without realizing I could shoot directly at the fuse box with the REC.

Younicorn

Neo Member
... I just realized I didn't visit Calendar Man on Thanksgiving.

Anyone confirmed/denied the "time trick" to get this achievement, or shall I start the game up next Thanksgiving for the achievement to pop?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I did it on the PC version and just changed the date, run upstairs, and then talked to him and did this for all the dates.

Derrick01

Banned
The electricity is hidden away or far away sometimes. Ive done two trophies that needed electrified batarangs so far and both of them had me controlling the batarang for a good distance.

Ah ok I guess I'm going scouting. I hate using those things on long distances.

Remember you can use the REC gun too. I got stuck with one riddle for too long because I kept looking for electricity without realizing I could shoot directly at the fuse box with the REC.

The few I've found so far have been behind gates. I've tried to shoot them with that but the gate blocks it.

batmanac2011-11-2916-3jckt.jpg

After googling I realized his real name is actually fries but I laughed out loud when I saw this.

I'm having some issues with the steam version (obviously!). Have smooth gameplay with DX11 features turned off, but get mad stuttering in cutscenes. Is this a known problem? I have a GTX 460. Coupled with the frequent crashes, it is a real pain in the arse to play. Is there a patch coming?

Also, is the dlc not available on steam yet? when I go to steam store in the menu it says there is none available

Salaadin

batmanac2011-11-2916-3jckt.jpg

After googling I realized his real name is actually fries but I laughed out loud when I saw this.

Lol, me too. I saw that and did a double take but then remembered.
Im pretty sure thats the only time in the game where the subtitles reflect Batman referring to him as "Fries" instead of "Freeze"

Derrick01

Banned
I'm having some issues with the steam version (obviously!). Have smooth gameplay with DX11 features turned off, but get mad stuttering in cutscenes. Is this a known problem? I have a GTX 460. Coupled with the frequent crashes, it is a real pain in the arse to play. Is there a patch coming?

Also, is the dlc not available on steam yet? when I go to steam store in the menu it says there is none available

It's on the GFWL store, or xbox.com's store whatever you want to call it. I had to find it by going to my profile and clicking on the recently played game though and they were both available for purchase. There's just no way I'm paying $7 for a new character and a couple of new maps.

Top Bottom