• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

GQman2121

Banned
Can anyone give some tips for combat? I notice I often have a hard time getting a combo to last like than x6 and don't always counter in time. Never had a chance to play Arkham Asylum, so having a little difficulty.

The X (or A) button to vault over enemies is your friend. It allows you to avoid their strikes, while still continuing your combo. Also, double tapping L1 (LB) to batarang is a good way to quickly buy some space when surrounded by thugs.

Remember Batman has a ton of moves between the face button combos and gadgets. Mix them up and pause if you have to to collect your thoughts.

Rafaelcsa

I don't get why Rocksteady is releasing places such as Wayne Manor and the Batcave as DLC. They should save these for their third game. I doubt there won't be a third game with this one's success.

DLC for AC should be places inside the city that are locked during the game, such as the bank for example. Or the area around the Wonder Tower which is wall-enclosed. Perhaps they should also extend on their Wonder City idea, which I thought was really interesting. Show us some more of that forgotten city and the mechanical defenders. Leave the rest of Gotham City, and especially things such as the Batcave, for a more elaborated exposition on the next Batman game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How the hell do you trigger the rest of deadshots missions after the first one? I've finished the game, done every other side mission (except for the riddler stuff) and Oracle still won't report a second shooting...

Is this bugged or just stupid?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I know that I meant I saw the trophies/achievements list and you get some of them for completing some of the previous game content. I wasn't sure if it would transfer over if I had already played the sequel.

Wait, what achievement are you talking about?

I liked getting all of the Riddler Trophies in AA, but they just seem too insane in AC for the most part.
Dunno, maybe it's just that overwhelming feeling of the entire city that's getting to me.
I just, don't feel like going through all of the trouble.

storl026

How the hell do you trigger the rest of deadshots missions after the first one? I've finished the game, done every other side mission (except for the riddler stuff) and Oracle still won't report a second shooting...

Is this bugged or just stupid?

Contract Terminated

Second Victim: The body is located on a broken piece of highway, northeast of the northern-most Catwoman switch point in the post-game. You’ll trace the shot back through a Water Tower to where a Tripod is. Again, you must wait to find out where his next victim is.

PS3Trophies.org

I know that I meant I saw the trophies/achievements list and you get some of them for completing some of the previous game content. I wasn't sure if it would transfer over if I had already played the sequel.

There are no such trophies/achievements. You are mistaken.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After finishing Skyward Sword the other day, its occurred to me that while this Arkham game felt a whole lot less Metroid-y, it actually felt a little bit Zelda like what with it essentially having 'dungeons' on an overworld map. Especially things like the use of the gadget created
ice grenade rafts
and that it did better things with the remote controller batarang, not to mention flying being more enjoyable.

This is without a fucking doubt my game of the generation, and maybe dethrones Ocarina as my favorite game ever (I'll probably make an incredibly badass thread about my favorite game being dethroned after 13 years at some point)

Have there been any sales numbers for this yet?

I've 100%'d it and am working my way through the main campaign for the fourth time. Please bring on the fucking story related DLC

DTKT

Is the Zsasz side mission bugged? I'm at 60% and it I haven't heard any ringing phones in a couple of hours. Or do I need to progress further in the main story?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I got like 3 calls from him, beat the game, and then the calls started again, tho I'm sure it's completely random. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened more frequently after you beat the game tho.

Oreoleo

I got like 3 calls from him, beat the game, and then the calls started again, tho I'm sure it's completely random. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened more frequently after you beat the game tho.

I think there are only certain payphones the calls will initiate from. i haven't beaten the game yet but I've already wrapped up that side mission.

I'm pretty sure its random. There's like 5 phones where he rings from so I suggest going around those areas.

Orin GA

Is this some misguided attempt at being funny, or he is just an idiot and a douche?

The saddest part is that he beat the game like this. They should really tie the health regen system to the amount of variations you do in a battle. That would definitely keep people from button mashing thru the game. Getting near/full health after a battle is dumb. I think the highest I ever saw him do was 3.

The IGN review states that the game needs to be played twice? why is that? I just finished Asylum and after beating the game I felt no need to go back and find all the Riddler trophies and the challenge modes don't interest me, especially since almost all of them were taken directly from the campaign. Am I going to feel the same way after beating this game?

Those youtube comments are glorious. :lol

Edit-

Funny. When Phil's trying to find the frequency he accidentally picks up one from Strange. And then ignores it.

Though I doubt the real Batman would play it the right way when people's lives are at stake.

no you are just a dumb ass who sucks at combat in batman arkham city but it's okay, we're all bad at some things.

Phill Is a fukin idiot I just want to scream at him

:lol :lol.

The IGN review states that the game needs to be played twice? why is that? I just finished Asylum and after beating the game I felt no need to go back and find all the Riddler trophies and the challenge modes don't interest me, especially since almost all of them were taken directly from the campaign. Am I going to feel the same way after beating this game?

New Game+ is unlocked after beating the game, and allows you to replay the story with all of your gadgets and gear unlocked, a slightly bumped up difficulty, and enemies have their equipment (guns, night vision, jammers) from the start with more frequency.

Hey gaf, my bro picked up this game since it's been on sale and was wondering about the DLC packs and their influence on the main story?

He automatically got the cat woman one with the game, but what about the night wing or robin packs?

Thanks.

Hey gaf, my bro picked up this game since it's been on sale and was wondering about the DLC packs and their influence on the main story?

He automatically got the cat woman one with the game, but what about the night wing or robin packs?

Thanks.

the night wing/robin packs are challenge packs if I'm not mistaken, Catwomen DLC is legit story missions

meljeff

Ok I think I just beat the game...I loved the game but WTF at the ending? It made no sense to me does this ensure a sequel or at least some story based DLC. I mean holy cliffhanger Batman! Also is this the longest credit roll in gaming history?

Jintor

Can I buy through the GFWL interface with the home button or whatever in-game, or do I need to buy outside the game? Interface is confusing as fuck, all I can access from my in-game profile page is achievements.

Ok I think I just beat the game...I loved the game but WTF at the ending? It made no sense to me does this ensure a sequel or at least some story based DLC. I mean holy cliffhanger Batman! Also is this the longest credit roll in gaming history?

well the first one kind of ended like that too. i would think it's safe to say
that joker won't be back. first off, mark hamil said he was done with doing the joker voice (i thought he said it even before this game....) but secondly because two-face is setup to be the main villain in the next game.

now maybe joker is dead or maybe he isn't but i wasn't dissatisfied with the ending.

meljeff

well the first one kind of ended like that too. i would think it's safe to say
that joker won't be back. first off, mark hamil said he was done with doing the joker voice (i thought he said it even before this game....) but secondly because two-face is setup to be the main villain in the next game.

now maybe joker is dead or maybe he isn't but i wasn't dissatisfied with the ending.

First off sorry about your Avatar...

Secondly..
I thought the first game ended okay. While it was a little odd to see TITAN JOKER in the end they made it seem like he was going to be okay. Though we did see either Killer Croc or Scarecrow make away with the Titan which was never referenced in Arkham City.

With that I can't see them killing off the Joker even if Hamil says he is done. Hell they let John Dimagio do the Joker in the Under the Red hood movie. While Hamil is definitely the best Joker voice ever! The character will live forever so it is inevitable Hamil will be replaced.

That said you can't kill the Joker while I don't mind giving other villains their due Joker is the one that makes Batman complete.

Thirdly what about Talia? They kind of brushed over her death. Will she be revived in the Lazarus Pit and hate Batman for leaving her behind and carrying out the Joker? I mean there are some loose ends there

I just found out there is a final Catwoman segment so I don't know what gets answered there, but I'm assuming not much.

With that I still love the game and had a great time playing it.

ksdixon

I'm just messing about in the challenge rooms, getting a feel for how Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman control differently/have different gadgets to Bats. It's pretty damn sweet causing mischief as Batman:The Animated Series's Catwoman. That fan service with TAS Batman, Catwoman, Nightwing and Robin just makes me want an "Arkham" style of game to be released, but with the complete TAS treatment.

Does anyone happen to know when the rest of the Bat suits are set to be released on Xbox Live? (I caved and got the Xbox360 version). I'd quite like to give TAS Batman a try.

El-Suave

I finished the game last night - superb experience, even better than Arkham Asylum was. I imagined they wouldn't be able to achieve this, but they did.

The only thing Arkham Asylum did better in my opinion was the ending - not that it wasn't good, it certainly was - it just came much more sudden than I expected and somehow I was missing a little gameplay at the very end. Also the credits "music" sucked. If you have long credits and a superior soundtrack - use it!

Edit: Oh, and to my surprise I LOVED the Catwoman parts. The way she moves around the city is awesome. Everytime you leap off a building to get to another one that's really far away, you can't help and think: "Wow!" I don't know if the game buying public is ready for it, but I would totally buy a Catwoman game from Rocksteady.

Sober

Why does Batman not want to do double counters...randomly? Like he'll just decide to not do them, 7 out of 10 times.
You might have to mash the counter button just in case, sometimes he will play the double counter animation and then only have one thug actually get countered while the other punches you.

Not that I want to use a guide, but I cannot for the life of me find any more Riddler informants (I may have accidentally beat the shit out of them too early) and I literally have 2 Batman trophies to go (Park Row and Amusement Mile) and I wish guides would just use the grid in the menus to track trophies and riddles (at least as far as I could find there weren't any, can't be arsed to go through each one listed).

AndyD

aka andydumi
You might have to mash the counter button just in case, sometimes he will play the double counter animation and then only have one thug actually get countered while the other punches you.

Not that I want to use a guide, but I cannot for the life of me find any more Riddler informants (I may have accidentally beat the shit out of them too early) and I literally have 2 Batman trophies to go (Park Row and Amusement Mile) and I wish guides would just use the grid in the menus to track trophies and riddles (at least as far as I could find there weren't any, can't be arsed to go through each one listed).

Easy way is to go to a different neighborhood, save, reload, come back and some more informants should appear. Also, indoor informants are independent of outdoor informants from what I read.

Veal

Anyone else thinking after this and AA, Rocksteady could probably make a helluva Metroid game? Cause they could.

Salaadin

Easy way is to go to a different neighborhood, save, reload, come back and some more informants should appear. Also, indoor informants are independent of outdoor informants from what I read.

Do indoor informants ever come back? I took out the one in the
Steel Mill during Jokers last mission
yesterday and was wondering if those guys in there will ever respawn.

ANyways, I beat this last night and loved nearly every minute of it. I have some minor complaints but theyre all nitpicky and not even worth mentioning. I might try to 100% it now.

amdnv

Zogrim just posted his detailed PhysX comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lr7B9k9SA&t=26s

physxhigh14xasa.jpg

Orin GA

w00t 12x variation steam achievement. I wish I had more mouse buttons so I could map all the battle type gadgets.

BFIB

Just a heads up for those who might have missed Origin's BF sale, but they have Arkham City for $24.99 again today for Cyber Monday.

Hayvic

Why does GFWL hate me? Why does it not allow me to play this game? Why are there three layers of DRM here? I thought the steam version would be steamworks, meaning no other DRM. I don't mind securerom really, but when I hear that horrendous swoosh GFWL makes and a popup appears tellling me that an update is in progress I instantly have an eye twitch. And when I read that my PC might have to restart after said update I almost hurl. Finally when I read that there has been an error with the update and that I return to the main menu screen I smash my monitor in two. I really don't mind tinkering with my PC, I built it myself. I like to consider myself more than a user. But this crap I just can't put up with. It just seems so senseless to me. I'm not even gonna bother solving this issue even though I know I could fix it in the time it took to write this down. Maybe in a few months when I format my PC. Till then, not batman for me.

/endrant

Salaadin

Why does GFWL hate me? Why does it not allow me to play this game? Why are there three layers of DRM here? I thought the steam version would be steamworks, meaning no other DRM. I don't mind securerom really, but when I hear that horrendous swoosh GFWL makes and a popup appears tellling me that an update is in progress I instantly have an eye twitch. And when I read that my PC might have to restart after said update I almost hurl. Finally when I read that there has been an error with the update and that I return to the main menu screen I smash my monitor in two. I really don't mind tinkering with my PC, I built it myself. I like to consider myself more than a user. But this crap I just can't put up with. It just seems so senseless to me. I'm not even gonna bother solving this issue even though I know I could fix it in the time it took to write this down. Maybe in a few months when I format my PC. Till then, not batman for me.

/endrant

The PC release is a mess with all the DRM and GFWL.
Im lucky in that I never had issues with GFWL in any of the 3 games I own that use it. My biggest problem with it is how it pretty much kills the game if you open the guide during any of the initial splash screens or load times. I had to force close 3 times because of that.

Top Bottom